Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: US Government Shutdown

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: US Government Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    The GOP doesn't think in the long term. Mitch McConnell proved that when he bastardized the Senate's role in confirming a SCOTUS position. Now we are never going to have a judge confirmed by an opposing senate ever again.
    Harry Reid says hello

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    “He’s not hurting the people he needs to be”: a Trump voter says the quiet part out loud

Wow. According to this Trump supporter the shutdown should be used to "hurt the right people".

What a trashy person. Is this supposed to make American great again? Cause that's not the kind of America I want to live in (and thankfully I don't...I would never live in such a place as the South without a gun at my head)

And the funny part? Her being a single mother who has to take care of two disabled parents are the exact types of people Democrats want to help in their lives through social programs. But these people consistently shoot themselves in the foot.
    Seems to be a running theme with regretful Trump voters; "I knew he was gonna screw people over, I just didn't think he would screw ME over!"
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Reid will NEVER have anything to do with McConnell abdicating his duties to confirm a new SC judge for TEN MONTHS (and also other federal appointments) while claiming it was "inappropriate" to fill a seat during an election year, an action that has never happened in the history of the country. McConnell's sole goal was never to legislate but to obstruct.

That is literally the only reason Trump has "accomplished" so many appointments...The Republicans not only refused to play the game but also all over the board at the same time.

Reid has his faults but McConnell abuses his power like no other. Comparing the two is idiocy.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; January 08, 2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

“He’s not hurting the people he needs to be”: a Trump voter says the quiet part out loud

Wow. According to this Trump supporter the shutdown should be used to "hurt the right people".

What a trashy person. Is this supposed to make American great again? Cause that's not the kind of America I want to live in (and thankfully I don't...I would never live in such a place as the South without a gun at my head)

And the funny part? Her being a single mother who has to take care of two disabled parents are the exact types of people Democrats want to help in their lives through social programs. But these people consistently shoot themselves in the foot.
    Do you want to set the precedent, here and now, that the opinion of one person on a particular side of the aisle is officially the spokesperson for not only a party, but the regime in power? Are you sure you want to make that argument? If you are, I'm prepared to unleash a miniature arsenal of pink armpit hair -dyed feminists who supposedly speak for the entire left. Just let me know if you're willing to engage in actually legitimate arguments instead of purporting an op-ed represents all non-leftist think.

Well done calling someone you purport to help through your policies a trash person based on her beliefs though. Super, super classy. I can't imagine why they don't vote blue.

Your failure to critically engage with this woman's arguments, who obviously is no deep thinker but a reactionary, also tells its own tale. Who, exactly, can we blame for the failures of Trump's policies, from which this woman's complaints are founded? Primarily democrats and secondarily cuck Republicans like the dearly departed John McCain who sold out his own conservatism in the months leading up to his death. You lack any grounds for your argument here because Trump's actual conservative plan for governance was sabotaged from day one by not only the democrats, but the media and his own party. This is not what conservative voters wanted, and if they express dissatisfaction, Trump lies at the back of the blame train. Sadly, some people aren't sophisticated enough to understand that and so the geniuses over at Vox (HAHAHAHAHA) spin it so that Trump has betrayed his own base. Few people are buying it, other than you I guess. Your argument is intellectually bankrupt.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; January 08, 2019 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpy Hooves View Post
    Harry Reid says hello
    Harry Reid told a president that the Senate will not talk to any of his nominees?
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

That is literally the only reason Trump has "accomplished" so many appointments...The Republicans not only refused to play the game but also all over the board at the same time.
    Wrong. While McConnell should've held at least a vote, Rs could have still voted no, and likely would have. Then continue voting no until an originalist judge was nominated
    Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Harry Reid told a president that the Senate will not talk to any of his nominees?
    SOrry I thought you meant something else

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I don't have an issue with DACA. Well I do, but just because of the legal fomentation because Obama completely overstepped his authority (my opinion here is consistent in that if Trump declares a state of emergency in order to achieve wall funding I will be royally pissed. Executive overreach is a plague). But let's look at the people here on DACA, they are typically not the type of illegal immigrant that poses a threat to this country. They are thoroughly Americanized, educated, and productive members of society. Deporting them serves little, if any, purpose. There may be an argument for them being anchor children, but I would even compromise on that so long as their parents were hard working, tax paying immigrants with no criminal background. I'm a bit more liberal on this issue than the typical Republican but I ask: what's the harm?
    Yea well...

I point out right when I see right .
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Your failure to critically engage with this woman's arguments, who obviously is no deep thinker but a reactionary, also tells its own tale. Who, exactly, can we blame for the failures of Trump's policies, from which this woman's complaints are founded?
    First we should establish if this woman knew beforehand what kind of politics Trump promised... and I don`t talk about "a beautiful wall", I mean real politics, something positive and structual.
    And thats where he is lacking. Tell me, where is the programm for infastructure that was promised? Where are the new Bridges and energy lines? Is it even planned and budgeded?

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

I made an effort to watch the Presidential announcement last night, expecting emergency measures to be declared to get the wall built. Instead just more political posturing by Trump with no real solution. Then, the opposition duo of Schumer and Pelosi unexpectedly appeared with American flags behind them, doing the same. To an outsider, it all seemed very pathetic and not very conducive to a global power. Trump is in a very weak position but undertaking an announcement to the nation with no stated action, has just made him look even more weaker. He was badly advised on that one.

In business, managers expect solutions not to be told about problems. I'm sure Donald Trump would agree, the people expect no different when it comes to a country's leadership.

Well, Trump is a businessman. But alas, Government isn't a business at their level. At the lower levels where there is no interaction between the branches it does function like a business and you can find your ass swiftly punished for wasting money and resources(ie: policies on Fraud, Waste, and Abuse). At his level, the nature of negotiations are very different than he is used to. The Legislature will always have the keys to the vault until 38(atm) states say otherwise. If they don't want to spend what is even, for a federal budget, relative pennies on something he wants, that is their rightful power. He'd better be willing to give them something they want in return, or...just take the swift legislative kick to the nuts and move on.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Not much longer before this becomes the longest shutdown in history.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...utdown-1088207

Latest polls show Trump and the GOP taking most of the blame for the shutdown.

I had doubts before this shutdown that the Democrats could actually manage to win in 2020, but if Trump keeps this up it's not looking good for him.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

According to the poll I saw on MSN this morning 52% of its left wing readers support the wall. In any event, it looks like both sides have dug their heels in. The one thing that stood out to me is that Trump offered to compromise, but the Dems did not, meaning that the Dems own this; not Trump.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 11, 2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Unnecessary.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    According to the poll I saw on MSN this morning 52% of its left wing readers support the wall.
    https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...-though-still/ https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-b...ts-record-high According to WaPo and the right-wing CNS news you are wrong.
    In any event, it looks like both sides have dug their heels in. The one thing that stood out to me is that Trump offered to compromise, but the Dems did not, meaning that the Dems own this; not Trump.
    Not according to the polls. Trump had a chance to fund his wall. He threatened to veto the bill because he included DACA funding. You real what you sow. And the Republicans are the biggest losers in this.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 11, 2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Continuity.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Two polls have been conducted in the "first week of the year" re, blame for the shutdown. The wall aside, just blame for the shutdown.

Politico: 47 percent say Trump is to blame. 33 Percent Democrats. 5 percent Congressional Republicans.
    Reuters-Ipsos: 51 percent say Trump is to blame. 32 Percent Democrats. 7 percent Congressional Republicans.

Given it is only the 9th, the "first week of the year" is...pretty relevant. Also, I'm not sure how the flying frak someone magically polls the left wing. Ever. In this world. That's some god damn miracle. MSN just conducts a god damn poll just like everyone else if they want it to be at all believed. And they drop information on how it was conducted. Just like everyone else. So BW, how was the poll conducted. Was it a poll? Or was it one of those stupid, PHONE YOUR ANSWERS IN WE WANT TO HEAR FROM OUR READERS!

Link your or admit your gossiping something stupid.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 09, 2019 at 02:31 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Trump literally throwing temper tantrums now.

WASHINGTON — President Trump slammed his hand on a table and stormed out of a White House meeting with congressional leaders on Wednesday after Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California said she would not fund a wall along the southern border, dramatically escalating the confrontation over the government shutdown.

Stunned Democrats emerged from the White House meeting declaring that Mr. Trump had thrown a “temper tantrum.” The president’s allies accused Democrats of refusing to negotiate. Then he tweeted that the meeting was “a total waste of time.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/u...mp-senate.html
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Sure, Schumer and Pelosi told the truth only the truth and nothing but the truth.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Sure, Schumer and Pelosi told the truth only the truth and nothing but the truth.
    As opposed to pathologically lying and being a hypocrit time and time again? I'm looking at McConnell who filibustered his own bill just to throw the bird to Dems.

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    First we should establish if this woman knew beforehand what kind of politics Trump promised... and I don`t talk about "a beautiful wall", I mean real politics, something positive and structual.
    And thats where he is lacking. Tell me, where is the programm for infastructure that was promised? Where are the new Bridges and energy lines? Is it even planned and budgeded?
    1. I don't think we can focus in on one woman's opinion, and it appears to be cherry picking by the media, in order to illustrate a more complex issue.

2. I agree, I'd love to see it. Trump has yet to deliver on that campaign promise, but he does have two more years. Infrastructure should be bi-partisan, which might be why he saved it for last. It does have the unfortunate position of being a pretty complicated issue because it necessarily involves 50 state governments. Infrastructure has the advantage of being bi-partisan, but the disadvantage of being highly complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Well, Trump is a businessman.
    A businessman and a salesman. One could argue, in fact, based upon Trump's background, he is a much better salesman than a businessman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Two polls have been conducted in the "first week of the year" re, blame for the shutdown. The wall aside, just blame for the shutdown.

Politico: 47 percent say Trump is to blame. 33 Percent Democrats. 5 percent Congressional Republicans.
    Reuters-Ipsos: 51 percent say Trump is to blame. 32 Percent Democrats. 7 percent Congressional Republicans.

Given it is only the 9th, the "first week of the year" is...pretty relevant. Also, I'm not sure how the flying frak someone magically polls the left wing. Ever. In this world. That's some god damn miracle. MSN just conducts a god damn poll just like everyone else if they want it to be at all believed. And they drop information on how it was conducted. Just like everyone else. So BW, how was the poll conducted. Was it a poll? Or was it one of those stupid, PHONE YOUR ANSWERS IN WE WANT TO HEAR FROM OUR READERS!

Link your or admit your gossiping something stupid.
    Trump owned the shutdown from the beginning, even since the initial televised WH meeting with Pelosi, Schumer, and the P and VP. I don't see this at all as being a blame game battle, Trump already owned it (even if he's trying to disclaim now.) What matters is if the American people care. The dems are at a severe back foot here because while Pelosi and Schumer claimed to be pro border security, the dems have proposed nothing to increase security in light of POTUS' remarks. Why hasn't a dem bill included additional funding for 2nd or 3rd tier immigration enforcement? I wrote a paper on this for law school which explored efficacy in immigration enforcement. At the time of my research, it actually favored non-border related enforcement. This involved employing more agents to work on cases of illegal immigrants that posed threats and deporting them. I think the landscape has changed since even 2015 in significant ways:

1. Since Trump's election, key states and municipalities have severed relationships with the federal government with the establishment of sanctuary cities.

2. This has rendered those previously effective strategies moot

3. Now our best efforts lie in a border wall.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Meanwhile has Trump downgraded the EU mission to US, but because of "limited operations due to the government shutdown" not informed with a official written notice.

The unannounced move by the US State Department, which has not previously been reported, downgraded the EU delegation's diplomatic status in Washington from member state to international organization.

"We don't exactly know when they did it, because they conveniently forgot to notify us," an EU official who is familiar with the matter told DW in an interview.
    "I can confirm that this has not been well received in Brussels," the person said, adding that the issue and an official EU response was still being discussed. Meanwhile, EU officials in Brussels said on Tuesday that per protocol, the diplomatic rank of David O'Sullivan, the EU's ambassador to Washington, had been reinstated.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Trump administration downgrades EU mission to US

The Trump administration has downgraded the diplomatic status of the European Union's delegation to the United States, an EU official has confirmed to DW. The demotion happened at the end of last year without notice.

The unannounced move by the US State Department, which has not previously been reported, downgraded the EU delegation's diplomatic status in Washington from member state to international organization.

"We don't exactly know when they did it, because they conveniently forgot to notify us," an EU official who is familiar with the matter told DW in an interview.
    "I can confirm that this has not been well received in Brussels," the person said, adding that the issue and an official EU response was still being discussed. Meanwhile, EU officials in Brussels said on Tuesday that per protocol, the diplomatic rank of David O'Sullivan, the EU's ambassador to Washington, had been reinstated.
    After the delegation noticed that the EU's Washington ambassador had not been invited to certain events late last year, officials organizing the state funeral for President George H.W. Bush provided final confirmation to EU diplomats that the status of the representation had in fact been downgraded. Diplomats believe the downgrade must have been implemented in late October or early November.
    At the high-profile event on December 5, as diplomats gathered in Washington to pay their respects, O'Sullivan was not called up in the usual chronological order from the longest-serving to the newest ambassador, said the EU official. "But he was called up as the last person."
    Prior to the demotion, O'Sullivan — who has served as the EU's ambassador to Washington since 2014 — would have been ranked among the first 20 or 30 ambassadors of the more than 150 foreign representatives dispatched to the US capital.

'Forgot to notify us'

A Washington-based diplomat of an EU member state also confirmed the downgrade and denounced the move.
    "This is clearly not simply a protocol issue, but this is something that has a very obvious political motive," the person said. The diplomat added that the negative view of the EU mission downgrade was shared by the majority of member states.
    After discovering the downgrade, EU diplomats in Washington reached out to the State Department, which is responsible for diplomatic affairs, for clarification. "They have told us that they forgot to notify us and that this is a decision they have taken because that is apparently what the chief of protocol thinks is the proper thing to do," the person said.
    The EU official said the bloc ambassador's status in Washington was upgraded to the level of a nation-state ambassador in September 2016, after a lengthy and intensive process by the State Department under former President Barack Obama.

Anti-EU stance

"For us, they have made this decision once and it was a well-thought-through decision — and now they sort of put it down again with a pen stroke," the EU official said.
    The person added that while it's not uncommon for a new administration to rethink protocol classifications, it's unusual that such a downgrade happens after a new administration has been in office for nearly two years. It's also rare that a diplomatic mission is not informed by the host country about such a decision ahead of time, and in writing.
    "I have big difficulties to see that this has anything to do with a new administration or a new protocol, because time-wise it's really very far removed," the official said.
    The diplomatic downgrade of the EU's mission in Washington appears to be in line with what is widely being perceived as an anti-EU stance by the Trump administration.
    Trump was an avid supporter of Britain's exit from the European Union during his presidential campaign, and as president has repeatedly lashed out at the European Union on issues such as trade and defense.

State Department stands by its decision

n a major foreign policy speech in Brussels in early December, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo praised Trump, a self-declared nationalist, and urged European countries to reassert their national sovereignty vis-a-vis the EU.
    Meanwhile, back in Washington, in an effort to try to reverse the protocol downgrade, EU diplomats contacted the State Department but were ultimately told just before the Christmas holiday that the department stood by its decision, the EU official said. "But we have not received anything written."
    Asked for comment, the State Department did not respond on the issue, citing limited operations due to the government shutdown. "Due to the lapse in appropriations, the Press Office will be operating on a reduced status. Communications with the media will be limited to events and issues involving the safety of human life or the protection of property, or those determined to be essential to national security," the State Department said in an email.

https://www.dw.com/en/trump-administ...-us/a-46990608

Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    As opposed to pathologically lying and being a hypocrit time and time again? I'm looking at McConnell who filibustered his own bill just to throw the bird to Dems.
    I don't know much about Cocaine Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Iunius_Brutus_Caepio View Post
    Meanwhile has Trump downgraded the EU mission to US, but because of "limited operations due to the government shutdown" not informed with a official written notice.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Trump administration downgrades EU mission to US

The Trump administration has downgraded the diplomatic status of the European Union's delegation to the United States, an EU official has confirmed to DW. The demotion happened at the end of last year without notice.

After the delegation noticed that the EU's Washington ambassador had not been invited to certain events late last year, officials organizing the state funeral for President George H.W. Bush provided final confirmation to EU diplomats that the status of the representation had in fact been downgraded. Diplomats believe the downgrade must have been implemented in late October or early November.
    At the high-profile event on December 5, as diplomats gathered in Washington to pay their respects, O'Sullivan was not called up in the usual chronological order from the longest-serving to the newest ambassador, said the EU official. "But he was called up as the last person."
    Prior to the demotion, O'Sullivan — who has served as the EU's ambassador to Washington since 2014 — would have been ranked among the first 20 or 30 ambassadors of the more than 150 foreign representatives dispatched to the US capital.

'Forgot to notify us'

A Washington-based diplomat of an EU member state also confirmed the downgrade and denounced the move.
    "This is clearly not simply a protocol issue, but this is something that has a very obvious political motive," the person said. The diplomat added that the negative view of the EU mission downgrade was shared by the majority of member states.
    After discovering the downgrade, EU diplomats in Washington reached out to the State Department, which is responsible for diplomatic affairs, for clarification. "They have told us that they forgot to notify us and that this is a decision they have taken because that is apparently what the chief of protocol thinks is the proper thing to do," the person said.
    The EU official said the bloc ambassador's status in Washington was upgraded to the level of a nation-state ambassador in September 2016, after a lengthy and intensive process by the State Department under former President Barack Obama.

Anti-EU stance

"For us, they have made this decision once and it was a well-thought-through decision — and now they sort of put it down again with a pen stroke," the EU official said.
    The person added that while it's not uncommon for a new administration to rethink protocol classifications, it's unusual that such a downgrade happens after a new administration has been in office for nearly two years. It's also rare that a diplomatic mission is not informed by the host country about such a decision ahead of time, and in writing.
    "I have big difficulties to see that this has anything to do with a new administration or a new protocol, because time-wise it's really very far removed," the official said.
    The diplomatic downgrade of the EU's mission in Washington appears to be in line with what is widely being perceived as an anti-EU stance by the Trump administration.
    Trump was an avid supporter of Britain's exit from the European Union during his presidential campaign, and as president has repeatedly lashed out at the European Union on issues such as trade and defense.

State Department stands by its decision

n a major foreign policy speech in Brussels in early December, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo praised Trump, a self-declared nationalist, and urged European countries to reassert their national sovereignty vis-a-vis the EU.
    Meanwhile, back in Washington, in an effort to try to reverse the protocol downgrade, EU diplomats contacted the State Department but were ultimately told just before the Christmas holiday that the department stood by its decision, the EU official said. "But we have not received anything written."
    Asked for comment, the State Department did not respond on the issue, citing limited operations due to the government shutdown. "Due to the lapse in appropriations, the Press Office will be operating on a reduced status. Communications with the media will be limited to events and issues involving the safety of human life or the protection of property, or those determined to be essential to national security," the State Department said in an email.

https://www.dw.com/en/trump-administ...-us/a-46990608

Finally some good news! The EU is not a state.

The dems are at a severe back foot here because while Pelosi and Schumer claimed to be pro border security, the dems have proposed nothing to increase security in light of POTUS' remarks. Why hasn't a dem bill included additional funding for 2nd or 3rd tier immigration enforcement?
    They offered 1.3 billion for increased border security.
    Last edited by Aexodus; January 09, 2019 at 06:19 PM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.