0 0%
  • West Ham

0 0%
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: English Premier League 2016/17

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Default English Premier League 2016/17

A new sticky for the upcoming season. Starts 13th August.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: English Premier League 2016/17

To start off with - Community Shield.

Zlatan scores a header, wins it for Manchester United. 2-1, first game, first goal, first trophy.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Indefinitely Banned

With much thought, would I be a bad person for rooting for Liverpool?

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

You couldn't be worse.
    Who's second on the list?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Well I guess we get to test my hypothesis that Iwobi or Walcott are good enough to play as wingers .

This game is going to be crazy. Both Liverpool and Arsenal are putting out insanely aggressive teams with very young and talented players. To me it also look like Wenger is doing something extremely uncharacteristic by playing a counter attacking side rather than his normal quick passing teams, perhaps a good idea against a high pressing team such as Klopps Liverpool?

Civitate

You know it is a crazy game when the fans start cheering with anticipation when wingers are getting the ball in 1 on 2 situations outside the penalty area.

Coutinho and Mane played great (I got Firminio in Fantasy Premier league... ) and Oxlade Chamberlain also scored a class goal even if he looked questionable in defense.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Aaaand Hazard scores. It took him about 50 minutes.

That being said, Zlatan scores on his debut.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

PL looks very promising judging by the first fixture. Champions lost, Eve- Tot draw, United played good and Arsenal - Liverpool, what a match!
    That Coutinho goal is mind blowing. I really like Liverpool squad they have so much potential. Coutinho, Firmino, Origi, Mane, Wajnaldum etc. Moreno is shaky at best though. And Arsenal looks like absolute crap, team that played yesterday and their bench is seriously wtf. Arsene need to spend big if he wants to get even close to the title.
    About Chelsea and game vs West Ham, I am very happy with the way lads played. Matic was rock solid, run 11 km and together with Kante denied Hammers of so many attacks. Having those two as DMs together with our excellent defense looks like excellent solution to me. Hazard, Oscar and Willian were all on point. We had so many opportunities this game and WH scored from like the first real one, so I would be so much disappointed if we didn't score at the end and got all 3 points. Costa of course doing his thing with both playing great as attacker and being such an that I am already indurate to his behaviour (which doesn't mean I approve it) and it makes me laugh.

Civitate

Some huge decisions by the referee in the Man city - Stoke game regarding the two penalties. Apparently the league will put a stop to wrestling matches and if this is the level that will be maintained in the Premier League this year then I think we will see a lot more scoring from big powerful players. Shawcross just looked stupid/lazy when getting the penalty against him but Sterling had pretty much no other choice than trying to push Shawcross away with his hands due to the size mismatch.

Could very well be the end of the resurgence of small nimble defenders as well. The only way to defend on corners now will be to out jump and out muscle opposing players which I think will make games more exciting and benefit players like Benteke, Ibrahimovic and Carroll.
    Last edited by Adar; August 20, 2016 at 07:55 AM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Poor start from the Arse. Two games in and the lads already look jaded. Going to be a long season if things don't change soon.

It looks already it's going to be a run between Chelsea and Man Utd.

I told you Arsenal should have signed Ibrahimovic. He's past his prime, the Premier is long, plays in the winter and it's unlikely he'll keep this form for the whole season. But he carries the team hard and has the winning mentality.

And it looks like not even Klopp can fix Liverpool misfortunes.

Blog Entries

Chelsea scrapped two wins against teams they would have expected to beat. I saw their first match and they were poor, but no Euro matches this season.

The vibe around Utd is massively high, be interesting to see if they can maintain it. Ibra and Pogba are winners and might keep them pushing for a while yet.

as much as i hate Diego Costa's unsportsmanlike conduct, the guy's been saving Chelsea with back to back nutmegs

also that Mata transfer to United makes more sense now, maybe it was just a coincidence and Mourinho didn't rate Mata that highly, maybe Mourinho saw the writing on the wall and offloaded one of the best Chelsea players to his future team. i still say Mata is better than Oscar or Pedro, but maybe not Fabregas

nice to see Terry is still with Chelsea, i expected last season to be his last. even in his age he's a better choice than many CBs, but he's still susceptible to speedy forwards

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Chelsea scrapped two wins against teams they would have expected to beat. I saw their first match and they were poor, but no Euro matches this season.

The vibe around Utd is massively high, be interesting to see if they can maintain it. Ibra and Pogba are winners and might keep them pushing for a while yet.
    Bally and Henrikh Mkhitarayan were great buys imo.
    The team seems by far much more balanced.

Many teams look very threatening this season. Manchesters, Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool, even Everton if they manage to slightly improve their squad.
    Arsenal looks like absolute crap though (no hard feelings A-dudes), Soton also looks weak this year after Liverpool robbed them again.

Check out Swansea next 6 games.

Blog Entries

Arsenal looks like absolute crap though (no hard feelings A-dudes)
    I wouldn't go that far, we did score three against Liverpool and draw the champions at their place.

Civitate

It will be interesting to see if Zlatan and Aguero can keep their scoring competition throughout the rest of the season. They both seem to be scoring for fun and I am really curious on what will happen when Mourinho finally gives up on Rooney. My impression is that Mourinho got a tendency to let big name players play themselves out of the team by giving them a few more chances than they deserve so that no one questions him when they finally are replaced by more promising players.

Before the season I was quite skeptical about Manchester United for this season. But with Bailly in defense, Pogba in the midfield and Ibrahimovic as a forward they have strengthened in every position and even Fellaini looked really good when paired with Pogba. The only thing I feel uncertain about is how to ensure that they have enough creativity in the midfield. Ibrahimovic can help out quite a lot in that regard as he like to drop down into the pitch an receive the ball in the build up phase. But to do that he need a nr 10 player who can make a lot of runs past him to create space. A few years ago Rooney would be his perfect partner in this and it will be very interesting to see if Rooney can get back to that or if he will be dropped sooner or later like I suspect.

The question is of course who should replace Rooney if he does not adapt. Mkhitaryan is an obvious candidate and I am quite curious on if Mata could also be a good alternative against weaker teams who like to drop deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, we did score three against Liverpool and draw the champions at their place.
    And when you get Mertesacker back around christmas it will be almost like a new signing!

I think this is the third or fourth year in succession where I make the same joke.
    Last edited by Adar; August 22, 2016 at 06:01 AM.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    And when you get Mertesacker back around christmas it will be almost like a new signing!

I think this is the third or fourth year in succession where I make the same joke.
    And Campbell has improved so much that he's also like a completely new... No you know what I can't even finish it, it's getting sad.

Wow we really picked at Arsenal.
    You at least need new quality FW, DM and CB if you want to stand a chance in champions race. Arsene should either find you those players or find a new job. He is being cheapskate for years.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast