View Poll Results: What name for the Mod would you prefer. vote or the sea people will come for you!

Voters
542. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heroic Age: Total War

47 8.67%
  • Total War: Ancient Civilazations

39 7.20%
  • Total War: Dawn of Civilazations

73 13.47%
  • Total War: Age of Bronze

366 67.53%
  • Total War: Dusk of an Era

17 3.14%
Page 144 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4494119134135136137138139140141142143144145146 LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 2916

Thread: Age of Bronze - General Discussion

Default Re: Age of Bronze - General Discussion

I have an idea for the campaign recruitment system. There are two systems I thought up to mimic the levy military system of the time. They both require modifying the way replenishment works and by what I have seen with DIE most of it should be possible.

First system is to remove replenishment from all levy troops. So a band of peasant spearmen will have its casualties kept permanent until it is disbanded and another unit is raised. To balance this out you could make upkeep for these units incredibly cheap. This system means veteran units will most likely have very few men and merging injured units will be far more common.

If you wanted a system that would allow a unit to keep it's veterancy then you could just make it that units cannot replenish in certain seasons. My personal idea would be to have all seasons apart from autumn (after farmers have finished harvesting) blocked from troop replenishment. Then in autumn replenishment is allowed and accelerated so even a unit with one man will be reinforced completely in that one season. This would mimic the way that men would go to war during this period after harvesting their crops.

Quote Originally Posted by WisePictWarrior View Post
    I have an idea for the campaign recruitment system. There are two systems I thought up to mimic the levy military system of the time. They both require modifying the way replenishment works and by what I have seen with DIE most of it should be possible.

First system is to remove replenishment from all levy troops. So a band of peasant spearmen will have its casualties kept permanent until it is disbanded and another unit is raised. To balance this out you could make upkeep for these units incredibly cheap. This system means veteran units will most likely have very few men and merging injured units will be far more common.

If you wanted a system that would allow a unit to keep it's veterancy then you could just make it that units cannot replenish in certain seasons. My personal idea would be to have all seasons apart from autumn (after farmers have finished harvesting) blocked from troop replenishment. Then in autumn replenishment is allowed and accelerated so even a unit with one man will be reinforced completely in that one season. This would mimic the way that men would go to war during this period after harvesting their crops.
    This is a pretty interesting idea. There are mods where the seasons affect replenishment and thats something we'll most likely look into as well.

As far as the levy troops, we do already have our pricing set where the levy's are both cheap and low in upkeep. Professional armies in the Bronze age were very rare and we want to simulate at least an early - mid game experience primarily based on lower tier troops. However; in contrast to your idea of no replenishment for lower class units I think it more plausible that they would easier to be replaced than elite troops simply because of the lack of requirements (training/armor) and the availability.
    Last edited by Massicio2; January 17, 2016 at 09:12 PM.

Will Troy also be featured in this mod? Because even though Troy wasn't exactly mentioned in history except in Homer but it was a key city in the bronze age even if it was mostly destroyed early on

Quote Originally Posted by DeathPunk187 View Post
    Will Troy also be featured in this mod? Because even though Troy wasn't exactly mentioned in history except in Homer but it was a key city in the bronze age even if it was mostly destroyed early on
    Yes, Troy is one of the major factions

Quote Originally Posted by Massicio2 View Post
    This is a pretty interesting idea. There are mods where the seasons affect replenishment and thats something we'll most likely look into as well.

As far as the levy troops, we do already have our pricing set where the levy's are both cheap and low in upkeep. Professional armies in the Bronze age were very rare and we want to simulate at least an early - mid game experience primarily based on lower tier troops. However; in contrast to your idea of no replenishment for lower class units I think it more plausible that they would easier to be replaced than elite troops simply because of the lack of requirements (training/armor) and the availability.
    With the replenishment of levies being impossible I was building on the idea that when a leader went on campaign they would raise a certain number of troops from their people. It wasn't "you'll provide and reinforce 300 men" It was "you will provide 300 men." That's how I got the idea for levies not replenishing and it would encourage a more realistic play style. After the war you send your levies home, not keep them around for peacetime. To balance that you might be able to increase the base recruitment slots each faction has.

With the replenishment of levies being impossible I was building on the idea that when a leader went on campaign they would raise a certain number of troops from their people. It wasn't "you'll provide and reinforce 300 men" It was "you will provide 300 men." That's how I got the idea for levies not replenishing and it would encourage a more realistic play style. After the war you send your levies home, not keep them around for peacetime. To balance that you might be able to increase the base recruitment slots each faction has.
    I see your point now. Ill look into that more when work on that aspect of campaign. Something I had been considering before was the inability to recruit native troops in foreign territories until the culture had converted to the majority. My main hesitance towards your idea is primarily the game mechanics and the AI and how that would actually play out in campaign. Unfortunately a lot of hypothetically good ideas don't translate well into game play.

We have been using this no replenishment policy also in GaW.We allow it only in specific regions and circumstances and it has been tested in numerous beta testing campaigns.It works really well and gives much depth in strategic thinking.Only requirement is that this difficulty affects only the human player.If this handicap is burdening also the Ai then it cannot handle it and the game goes the other way around and becomes very easy.
    Last edited by Phalangitis; January 20, 2016 at 05:49 AM.

Why you banners removed from the Egyptians?

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAL View Post
    Why you banners removed from the Egyptians?
    Im not sure exactly what you mean. Is this in regards to our newest update? Mind posting a screenshot?

@Phal, Thank you for the insight! I suspected that the AI wouldnt be able handle it and would make it too easy. I think the idea of no native recruitment until culture converts is a nice "middle ground" so to speak. It makes the player rely on mercenaries for the time being which will be expensive. Theres a lot to discuss concerning the proximity of the campaigns. For example mesopotamia or Mycenae/Knossos and how that would be different to, Egypt invading Anatolia for example. Ive considered things like a basic AoR to supplement Mercenaries.
    Last edited by Massicio2; January 20, 2016 at 12:59 PM.

Is there any new or update about the mod? just love the idea

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by khan27 View Post
    Is there any new or update about the mod? just love the idea
    The newest update would be that we are currently balancing a bunch of new units, and just added a good deal of Arabian and Canaanite/Ugaritic units, but its all WIP right now.

Have you thought of integrating the "People of Rome 2" mod for a manpower system? I have a feeling people have asked this already but just in case they haven't I'll go bug you about it I have tried the current release of the mod and I have to say it's pretty awesome! Keep up the good work lads.

Have you thought of integrating the "People of Rome 2" mod for a manpower system? I have a feeling people have asked this already but just in case they haven't I'll go bug you about it I have tried the current release of the mod and I have to say it's pretty awesome! Keep up the good work lads.
    Ive been keeping on an eye on that mod as well and it looks awesome. When we get to that point in development it will definitely be taken into consideration and personally I think it would make a great addition to any overhaul mod.

I have a question about walls. Only provincial capitals may have walls or will have the possibility of building wall in minor cities?

Quote Originally Posted by khan27 View Post
    I have a question about walls. Only provincial capitals may have walls or will have the possibility of building wall in minor cities?
    We can add walls to the battle map to any settlement and most likely will be for some obvious ones, Pergamon (Troy) for example. As far as the campaign map I'm not sure. Im hoping to find way but can't be sure at this point.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Quote Originally Posted by Massicio2 View Post
    We can add walls to the battle map to any settlement and most likely will be for some obvious ones, Pergamon (Troy) for example. As far as the campaign map I'm not sure. Im hoping to find way but can't be sure at this point.
    Pergamon is walled in ia map (wich also has a more detailed near east)

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Slytacular: That is a very cool find, it really gives insight into Bell Beaker England, which is incidentally of the same rough period much of Stonehenge was built.

Linke: We have looked into the IA map, and for several reasons we decided against it, the more detailed near east really was the only major perk to it, and in the end I felt it didnt outweigh the cons.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    Badgers?

Moon_Man's Avatar Libertus

Do you have any details on the Libyan Tribes? It seems very strange to see such a large portion of the map and a faction that Egypt will have so much contact with in-game be not even started yet.