Thread: Master Of Magic

Steforian's Avatar Semisalis

Default Master Of Magic

Ive recently bought this game for a mere $5.99 last week, and so far its been a lot more exciting than was anticipated. This is a 4x (explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate) turn-based strategy game, made by Microprose back in 1994, with a decent variation of units, racial bonuses and handicaps very similar to the CIV games; though this game adds the fantasy genre to every facet of game-play, as well as a huge list of game altering spells available to research and cast at will.

The goal of MoM (master of magic abrev.) is to either defeat the other races, or to cast the Spell Of Mastery and win the game. To make up for 2d rather dated graphics (which sometimes require excessive squinting to be make out what they are trying to show) the game offers limitless replay value, as each race has unique pros and cons (there are 14 different fantasy races, ex: Dwarves, Klackons, High Men), as well as unique buildings and units (too many units to count); and most importantly are the Hero units that join your cause randomly or by reward, and act as generals/elite units to lead your armies (if you wish).

All in all, this game is great value for such a small price, not to mention it can run on a low end computer without difficulties. Note: When you play this game for the first time, start with the easiest difficulty level, and save before every battle, as well as having a rotation of 5 or so save games just to be safe (note thsi game is very stable and has never crashed on me). This is just to prevent frustration form being owned early on, since lair enemies start at a high level than you do.

Here is some images i found on the internet that show just a fraction of what is available in this great game:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(don't expect to find a hero with these stats, this can only be achieved through leveling your hero with much patience and luck)

And if your at all interested in trying this game right away you can download it through gog.com for $5.99 just like Steam.
    Last edited by Steforian; November 02, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

Default Re: Master Of Magic

I have this game on my shelf over at GOG, just waiting for school to end before playing it!
    Therefore I am I must - King of Dyslexia
    My Stories:Wolfmen - Henrick Gleeson - The Woman and the Bread Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Encino_Man View Post
    I have this game on my shelf over at GOG, just waiting for school to end before playing it!
    Nice, though you don't have to wait, cause you can do a whole lot in a mere 30 min in this game

Also i forgot to mention, that this game has a moderate sized modding community and pretty much any feature can be modified via text file values

Quote Originally Posted by Steforian View Post
    Nice, though you don't have to wait, cause you can do a whole lot in a mere 30 min in this game
    And we all know how that turns out! Holding hands leads to hugging, hugging leads to kissing, kissing leads to se...wait what?! Anyways, you should do an AAR, would love to follow along. Btw, have you heard of Dominion 3?
    Therefore I am I must - King of Dyslexia
    My Stories:Wolfmen - Henrick Gleeson - The Woman and the Bread Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Encino_Man View Post
    And we all know how that turns out! Holding hands leads to hugging, hugging leads to kissing, kissing leads to se...wait what?! Anyways, you should do an AAR, would love to follow along. Btw, have you heard of Dominion 3?
    Hehe, i know what you mean. Ive never heard of Dominion 3 before you mentioned it, but it looks neat! Ill have to check it out further. And as far as an AAR for MoM i concerned, my schedule is pretty full currently, but ya never know .
    Last edited by Steforian; November 07, 2011 at 04:40 PM.