Thread: Total War - Definitive Editions

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Total War - Definitive Editions

This was posted yesterday and when I read it and I wonder what CA is up to. Does this marks the end of support from CA for these games?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Total War - Definitive Editions

Nah, they try to keep all TWs online on steam, you can easily check steamDb and see that even very old games are getting some app patches from time to time...https://steamdb.info/watching/

This is probably just marketing action because selling this kind of game editions with all DLCs will probably get them little more money in long run. CA is already in stage where almost everybody interested got copy. So only two kind of people remains. 1) new people, new kids,..this is probably almost constat icome, yet slowly dropping as there are more and more good games and competition even among TWs alone..2) people who consider even sale price of core game + sale price of DLCs combined to be too high... Now the overall price drops again so CA can fish out more people from both options..
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

It's a commercial move. It's winter sale on Steam, with this they have inflated the base price of those 3 games so that the discounts wouldnt really apply.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    It's a commercial move. It's winter sale on Steam, with this they have inflated the base price of those 3 games so that the discounts wouldnt really apply.
    Milking their customers with something like that is pretty unsmart. It will only give them a bad reputation.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

It sure is a commercial move similar to what Bethesda did when they released the Skyrim Legendary Edition over 5 years ago, otherwise CA wouldn't include all released DLC's for these games in the Definitive Edition.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

That's odd, I own most of the DLCs.

Not much, but its alright.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I don't particularly like the Total War titles as they are on Steam, but there's little to be done. I assume, like others, that it is a simple matter of marketing and possibly also a strong side of cleanup so it is all One Series in name. I don't much like that either for Medieval 2 considering it exists as another generation of design and philosophy, but again, little to be done. As long as it's just a name and not a modbreaking update, I am content.

Inflating the base price while substantially lowering the cumulative price to get the full game, just as it used to be. Color me skeptical that this is not in and of itself a solid discount compared to how they approached the games originally.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Well current owners without all DLCs got them free. So that´s nice move from CA. Default price is up by 5 ( from 20 to 25) bucks however these games are often on -75% so actually so got all DLCs just for 1,25 bucks..sounds to me like good trade. Anybody remembering price tag for those DLCs before update, you would pay more for core game + DLC..
    Last edited by Daruwind; November 21, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Bethesda changed thir Skyrim edition to make it 64 bits compatible. So they offered something.

What did CA offered to their old customers

"I'm so happy to get for FREE all the DLC I already paid for!"

What's next? A promotion to get two copies of 3K for the price of a pair?

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Eh, anyone who had the base games and wanted the dlcs bought them ages ago and got value out of them. Not sure how this is overly good or bad, just probably a case of simplifying matters at this point.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Bethesda changed thir Skyrim edition to make it 64 bits compatible. So they offered something.
    If you mean the Skyrim Legendary (SLE) then no, they did not offered it as 64-bit.

What Bethesda did was to offer all DLC bundle into one game, so people only needed to buy SLE without purchasing each DLC as one needed to previous. They also introduce the Legendary Skill concept, which means that each skills can be levelled above 100 without using a Skill Uncapper mod after making a skill Legendary.

The Skyrim Special Edition (SSE) is indeed a 64-bit game with improved graphics both visual and the usage of DirectX 11 (DX12?).

All owner of SLE or all DLC would get SSE for free, if one fulfill the criteria for SSE and I got SSE for free.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Yes, I was refering to this. The SSE edition with 64-bit for no extra cost.

IF CA had made a NTW definitive edition, just porting it to 64 bits without anything else, then I 'd be more enthousiastic since it seems the 32 bits game on a 64 bits system has some negative issue.

As it is now, the offer is nice for people who didn't have all the DLC. It's a non event for everyone who bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    IF CA had made a NTW definitive edition, just porting it to 64 bits without anything else, then I 'd be more enthousiastic since it seems the 32 bits game on a 64 bits system has some negative issue.

As it is now, the offer is nice for people who didn't have all the DLC. It's a non event for everyone who bought it.
    I concur. It would be a nice move by CA, but do they no I don't think they would ever do that. Which is a real shame if you ask me.

Sadly, I am one of those people who paid for every DLC CA have released and what do I get, a game that has bugs and what does CA do about it pretty much nothing.

Civis

Even the Linux/Mac version of Med2 has 64bit support! Cmon CA!

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    Even the Linux/Mac version of Med2 has 64bit support! Cmon CA!
    When the money flows in, why should they listening more the gamers ?
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

It's basically the rome total war gold edition where they bundle everything inside one neat little package.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Its nice how they are now all found under "Total War" so i can find them more easily - other than that it makes no difference to me and i really wish they would have ported games to 64 bit and fixed some other biggest issues. Napoleon Total War STILL has issue where your units get butchered because they moved down from walls. Literally by touching ground they get killed. Or is that 64 bit issue too?

Though its not like Napoleon Total War would have good siege battles.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer