Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dagor Minuial ~ Dawn of the Fourth Age Campaigns ~ A magical adventure, full of magic and adventure!

Default Re: Fourth Age Campaign

Nice ideas. Although I'm not too sure abount Ungoliant coming back. I thought i remembered something about Ungoliant devouring itself (him? her?). Either way it seems like a bit of a lore rape as while I'm all for stretching lore for the sake of a fun game, I think this might be a bit far. Obivously you've lready decided on it though and it would be pretty fun.

Also maybe you could have some sort of wild trolls a bit west of the misty mountains as there was something like this put in BFME (i believe i read about it but havent played the part that I'm talking about, its either an expansion or a sequel, not too sure) and there must be a reason that its called the trollshaws right? Then this could be a mainly troll faction with low numbers and everything like that and then maybe ahve some sort of cannon fodder unit too. (Troll babies? ) As for ranged troll catapults and maybe just trolls throwing rocks could be used, if possible. This probably isn't a great suggestion though because between OOTMM and OOG how many trolls and enemies (for them to fight) are left?

Anyway good luck with this. I've just started re-reading as many LOTR books as I can so if I come across anything that might help I'll try and pop in.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    No Goblin Spider Riders, spiders eat goblins.
    Haven't you heard of playing with your food?

Default Re: Dawn of the Fourth Age ~ A magical adventure, full of magic and adventure!

Tolkien never explicitly states that Ungoliant is dead. All that is said is "Some say she went South, and there devoured herself." So basically that is just what peeps in Middle-Earth think. The narrator is not stating it as a fact. Not to mention the fact that she can not be killed, or starve to death. She is an evil spirit, if her mortal coil dies she will just come back eventually after she regains her power. She isn't actually a spider, that is just the shape she chooses to take. Just like Morgoth, the only way for her to be gone from Middle-Earth forever is to be banished to the void. But yeah, even though I don't agree she is dead, I do agree she wouldn't really come back so soon in the Fourth Age, if at all. But like I said, this is all fan fiction and it makes for a smashing campaign. Plus with Sauron gone there would be a huge power vacuum, so I can't help but thinking that it is plausible even if Tolkien never imagined it. He must have had something in store for Ungoliant, otherwise he would have been more definite in her fate. Writers like to keep the story open though and let their readers imaginations fill in the gaps, so maybe he just left it that way for that reason.

As for the TrollShaws, they are already full of trolls. In fact EVERY SINGLE REGION has lore accurate rebels and ambush spawns, plus I added a bunch of new regions and factions. It really makes Middle-Earth feel like it is full of life. I am getting turned on just thinking about it.

No troll faction though, they didn't live in large groups, or build, or farm... etc.
    Last edited by alreadyded; February 16, 2011 at 06:53 AM.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dawn of the Fourth Age ~ A magical adventure, full of magic and adventure!

I'm wondering if it's really possible for even a maia (or what she is) to live that long. It was possible to kill Sauron, was'nt it? The only reason he lived so long was the ring. Just wondering...

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

If you want help I could do some reasearches.

Maiar are immortal, age isn't a problem here. But they can be destroyed. Sauron was, and not by banishing him to the void either. Unlike you, alreadyded, I think Tolkien meant Ungoliant to be gone for good. Anyway, since you agree she wouldn't be returning so early in the Fourth Age, we don't have to solve the issue. Ungoliant's spawn could be spread far and wide, like Shelob, so a spider faction is a perfectly good idea whatever we may think of their Ur-mother's fate. I like the idea of this mod, I will probably play it. I'm still happier with the inclusion of your units in Third Age, but I'm looking forward to this too.

Sauron was older than Arda, he didn't need the ring to live so long as he lived for a VERY LONG time before he even made the ring. Sauron wasn't really destoryed, he put all his power into the ring so when it was destroyed he lost all his power forever. Which means he was still in Middle-Earth, he was just a powerless spirit floating around. Even Saruman didn't truly die, his spirit survived.

The Valar or their boss would actually have to banish Ungoliant to the void for her to never return. Second, if someone actually saw her wouldn't she just eat them and everyone else nearby instead of snacking down on herself? And from a realistic perspective, animals don't eat themselves as that would just defeat the purpose of eating to sustain yourself . They usually eat their spawn or simply starve to death, Ungoliant eats her spawn and those she mates with, as Tolkien states very clearly. Anyway, I am not saying spiders should be added to this mod, I'm just saying that is what I am going to do as most of the work is already done. And it will be a late campaign invasion script anyway (which can be removed in 2 seconds), so it won't affect the first half of the campaign and you don't even have to use it at all. I think the campaign would be a bit bland in the end without though.

I really don't want to have to keep arguing over this unless someone can find me some text that says "She died" and not "Some say she died." Otherwise there is nothing to argue over, as all of the factions are already done. Oh by the way, Shelob will still be alive too, Tolkien never decides her fate as well. He simply states that "her fate does not come into this tale."
    Last edited by alreadyded; February 16, 2011 at 07:02 PM.

alreadyded: On the practical level we agree, no need to argue. Unless Ungoliant herself leads the invasion armies, everyone can make up their own minds. If it's her spiderbrood alone, I'll be happy to think they were spawned before she died and you can think she's still breeding more, it doesn't affect the invasion armies. Again, it's only an issue if she shows up herself and you already said you probably weren't going to do that, if I remember correctly.

The last sentence on my previous post wasn't intended as criticism of this project in any way, I just meant to compliment you for your other work.

Also, you are right on Sauron, my mistake. Doesn't matter practically as whatever's left of him doesn't rate a unit by any stretch, but still, I shouldn't have implied that he died.

Please continue with your work. The last thing I want to do, is distract you from finishing and releasing this mod.

Ungoliant will show up eventually. I don't mind discussing whether she is alive or dead, everyone just keeps using the same argument though so unless there is some info I don't know about... then I see no point in reiterating my views over and over again.

I took no offense to your post, I like my Third Age mod better myself. I am doing this mod because I can just reuse all my work, so it is super easy and should provide quite awhile of entertainment. Also, my Third Age Mod sticks very close to lore, so this one I get to do some of my own things. I still want it to be based on lore though, so the first half of the campaign sticks to it, then you have the optional creature invasions. So if you want to play without creatures doing anything but defending, just click no to the script. If you click no Ungoliant's faction will never appear, but you will still have spider rebels in the Southern jungles to deal with, which are her spawn.

I was origanlly going to add this optional script to the end of my Third Age campaign mod, but I decided to stick with the lore. Since there is very little lore about the Fourth Age (I don't know of much anyway) it seemed like a good place for creature invasions.

Edit: Also, I did this for my own sake but others may enjoy it. The Fourth Age campaign will be included in the Third Age Perillicious Campaign Project as a Custom Campaign. So you can play the Third Age and the Fourth Age all in one mod. Plus the Fellowship Campaign still works, so that is a lot of gameplay options.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Maybe I will make a Second Age mod and throw that in as well

~
    Last edited by alreadyded; February 16, 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Maybe a custom where you can control ungoliant

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    If you want help I could do some reasearches.
    I only know of a few references to the Fourth Age, so any info you can find will be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Maybe a custom where you can control ungoliant
    I plan to, that is another reason for making this mod. Creature factions can not build builds though, they can only recruit with chieftains (generals hiring mercs in the field). They can also enthrall certain tier 1 units from every faction, but not many. Just enough to get the gates open or knocked down, and suicided before you enthrall some more. As the drake factions, the further you go South, the less amount of drakes there are to recruit. And visa versa via Ungoliant's faction
    Last edited by alreadyded; February 17, 2011 at 03:15 AM.

Great news !!!!
    Whats its progress ?
    Any previews ?
    tx !!!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

A magical adventure, full of magic and adventure!

Haha, like your sense o humor ^^

Dragon faction's and Unglianth seems quite odd, but it's a campaign (submod and artistic freedom) after all.
    Presume Ung. herself wont be playable. A maia who can fight Morgoth would eat the world in a crunsch as soon as she deared, her hunger unstoppable..
    Thinking of it, rather the big question is how she haven't consumed her own faction already?
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 24, 2011 at 06:15 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alě, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I will not deny for one second that this mod is not just one big excuse to stomp around with some creatures on the campaign map. But I have no problem knifing the lore in the back after going seriously out of my way to stick to it in the Third Age. But like I said, the creature factions are optional simply because I want them to be. There is still 400 turns of fighting to do without them so just think of it as two campaigns in one.
    Last edited by alreadyded; February 24, 2011 at 07:45 AM.

Here is something I threw together in MS Paint real quick. These will be the starting positions and primary goals for certain factions (arrows). The Reunited Kingdom will be strong, but it will be fighting on multiple fronts (AI will have scripts to help it along).

Protestant Knight's Avatar Centenarius

Looks good, IMHO you should give The Reunited Kingdom most of Arnor and all of Gondor but with no
    garrisons in the settlements but its your mod

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    I really don't want to have to keep arguing over this unless someone can find me some text that says "She died" and not "Some say she died." Otherwise there is nothing to argue over, as all of the factions are already done. Oh by the way, Shelob will still be alive too, Tolkien never decides her fate as well. He simply states that "her fate does not come into this tale."
    So essentially the mod is built on one giant logical fallacy. Good luck with that then. I think I might create a mod where Aragorn and Eomer have an affair together. After all, it's never stated that they didn't have an affair together.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

how long will it take...

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Agamaran View Post
    So essentially the mod is built on one giant logical fallacy. Good luck with that then. I think I might create a mod where Aragorn and Eomer have an affair together. After all, it's never stated that they didn't have an affair together.
    Ok, Agamaran - Tolkien intentionally left Shelob's fate an open-ended question. If Alreadyded wants to have some fun with that and create a Fourth Age Campaign that is essentially fan-fiction (because, you know, Anything in the Fourth Age would involve fan-fiction. Just saying), what's the problem?

Moderators, could you send a Troll Killer in here? I think Luis Lux made a really good one for Arnor - it should be enough.

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

Quote Originally Posted by Pentecostal Knight View Post
    Looks good, IMHO you should give The Reunited Kingdom most of Arnor and all of Gondor but with no
    garrisons in the settlements but its your mod
    This starts in the beginning of the Fourth Age, so nothing much has happened yet for them to have retaken all that land.

Quote Originally Posted by Agamaran View Post
    Well if we are going off of logic than giant exoskeleton insects or arachnids would never even exist in the first place, they simply cannot evolve to that size. But it is a story, and Tolkien leaves certain things unsaid, which means if you believe he meant a certain thing by it, it is not logic, but your opinion. Just like it is my opinion that I think they are still alive, that is just how I interpret it.

But yea, we know who Aragorn and Eomer marry so that isn't even a good correlation to the subject at hand. Nor is the mod built on ANY ONE thing. Shelob and Ungoliant, and indeed all of the creatures are a small part of the gameplay in this mod unless you play as a creature faction. And of course there is the whole OPTIONAL SCRIPTS of having them in the game, so does it matter if I put them in? Not if you don't want it to, just click no and they will not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by sanderman2 View Post
    how long will it take...
    Not long... it is mostly done.
    Last edited by alreadyded; March 23, 2011 at 04:23 PM.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

Not long... it is mostly done.
    Yes i think its a cool, but i need clean 2.1 for thiss?