Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Yes it is a Nagamaki. The longer handle gives it higher control in relation to maneuvering the blade. I guess whoever came up with this sword didn't like the restrictions of a short handle in combat.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Ok, here is the imageClick image for larger version. 

Name:	I_rifle.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	365077

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Ok, here is the imageClick image for larger version. 

Name:	I_rifle.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	365077

It's a Girandoni Air rifle, which was designed by an Italian and manufactured in the late 18th century for use against Napoleon by the Austrians.

One of these unique rifles accompanied the Lewis & Clark expedition (corps of discovery) in 1803 to traverse and explore the newly acquired "Louisiana Purchase". Nobody is quite sure how the expedition acquired an example of one of these novel air guns---however, every time the expedition would encounter a new Indian tribe, they would demonstrate the abilities of this amazing repeating rifle--which could fire 20 or more powerful shots in a row with no ignition system or gunpowder.

Evidently these demonstrations were enough to amaze the indigenous tribes encountered along the way and in doing so ensure the group's safe travel. Some have called it the true "gun that won the west"

If you've never seen it, here's a nice video put on by the NRA national firearms museum describing the gun and how it was utilized by the Lewis & Clark expedition.

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; June 18, 2021 at 07:59 PM. Reason: correct errors
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Correct. Your turn

Continuing with another longarm. Name the model and/or its commonly used sobriquet.

Last edited by Forward Observer; June 19, 2021 at 11:36 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    Continuing with another longarm. Name the model and/or its commonly used sobriquet.

Harpers Ferry Model 1841 Mississippi Rifle?

It is a percussion cap rifle with a brass patchbox, looks similar.

Correct--it is indeed a Model 1841 "Mississippi" rifle. It was the US military's first percussion rifle--with production running between 1843 and 1855. Although,the Harpers ferry arsenal produced about 25k of the total 91k manufactured, several other private contractors produced the remaining 66k. The one in the picture was made by one of the contractors--Robbins & Lawrence. Of course without a close up of the lock plate, it's impossible to know the maker. Other manufacturers were Remington, Tryon, and Eli Whitney. The rifles were manufactured in .54 caliber and shot a patched round ball--hence need for a patch box compartment on the stock. The rifles had no provision for a bayonet since they were mostly intended for use by light infantry such as skirmishers or what were sometimes referred to as flanking units.

https://www.militarytrader.com/militaria-collectibles/mississippi-rifle

It went by several nicknames, but the "Mississippi" moniker came about when Jefferson Davis (future US secretary of war and later president of the Confederacy during the ACW) resigned from his position as a congressman to raise a regiment of volunteers from his home state of Mississippi to fight in the Mexican-American war (1846-1848) The bulk of the US army at the time was still in the process of converting over from smoothbore muskets--mostly flintlock, but Davis requested the new M1841 rifles.

Winfield Scott, the commanding general refused saying the new rifles were untried for combat. Another issue was that the war was going to be fought on the Texas frontier and in Mexico where consistent logistical supply was questionable. Flints were durable--plus being a naturally occuring mineral, could be found most anywhere so a flintlock only needed gunpowder and lead to function. On the other hand percussion caps had to manufactured and any interruption in supply would render the new rifles inoperable.

Davis went over General Scott's head to President Polk and got the approval to equip his Mississippians with the new rifle. Davis' Mississippians were instrumental in winning several major battles including turning the tide at the battle of Buena Vista. Davis came out of the war a hero but turned down an appointment as a brigadier general in the regular army to instead get elected as a US senator from Mississippi. Of course being a southern plantation and slave owner, Davis eventually supported the rebellious and ill conceived cause of the southern states. You can read about that here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Davis

In 1855 the US military adopted the new minie ball design in .58 caliber introduced with the model 1855 rifled musket. To utilize the new minie ball projectiles, many of the model 1841's were re-bored from .54 to .58 caliber along with having improved sights and provisions to mount a bayonet added. Of course by the ACW these rifles were still sort of considered to be old fashioned. However, the southern states used them extensively since they had little to no long arms manufacturing facilities at the start of the ACW.

You must be the last person I gave rep according to the system message.

If somebody else could do the honors, I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    If somebody else could do the honors, I would appreciate it.
    Done.

Ok.

Here is this gunClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Gun.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	365095

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I'd wager it to be a handheld ranged weapon meant to cause harm to the opponent by inserting him with a projectile at high speeds by transforming chemical energy into kinetic energy through detonation.

Probably a flintlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    I'd wager it to be a handheld ranged weapon meant to cause harm to the opponent by inserting him with a projectile at high speeds by transforming chemical energy into kinetic energy through detonation.

Probably a flintlock.
    Incorrect. Not a flintlock.

I think I've got it. At first I thought the rifle looked a bit like one of those North African highly decorated over long muskets that you would see Moroccan camel riders sporting but then I noticed that the butt stock was a round cone shape--not unlike that of the Girandoni--thus figured that it might serve the same purpose, e.g., a compressed air reservoir. The strange lock mechanism looked like nothing else I had ever seen also

A search of antique air guns revealed that the subject gun was created between 1820 and 1830 by Kunitomo Ikkansae--a Japanese gunmaker in the early 19th century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunitomo_Ikkansai

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; June 29, 2021 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Correct. Someone else will have to give you your Reputation points, I can't.

Even before Japan started modernizing, it was still keeping abreast of technological advances in Europe. The air rifle is a sophisticated piece of machinery.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; June 29, 2021 at 01:39 PM.

No problem.

So I'll try another long arm:
    Name the make and model

Cheers

Harper's Ferry M1803 rifle, I think.

Correct. I was reminded of it when the Girandoni air gun came up. It was claimed for a long time that the 1803's were the rifles carried by the Lewis & Clark expedition. In fact, the reproduction in the picture has that inscribed on the patch box lid but I photoshopped it out.

Later research showed that the 1803 would have not been in production before the expedition took off. It's most likely that the expedition used various rifles that would have been made by private contractors to the government which would have been in storage at the arsenal when the trip was put together.

Rep given and you are up.

First hint, we're roughly in the same period as the previous three entries...

It looks like a bomb you would drop from the air. The only balloon aerial bombing I know of is Austria pilotless balloon bombing of Venice in 1849.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    It looks like a bomb you would drop from the air. The only balloon aerial bombing I know of is Austria pilotless balloon bombing of Venice in 1849.
    Nope. This wasn't meant to be used from the air, although it would most likely work better that way.