Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R2 feedback

Default R2 feedback

Hello everyone!

Here is some feedback from my R2 Carthage VH/VH campaign. I'm 160-170 turns in, having fun.

House rules:

1. Recruitment. I can only recruit troops in cities that have fully developed recruitment. Good example of such city is developed Carthage - Council administration, large settler colony and first level of foreign colony. Also, the absolute bulk of recruitment should be done by FMs with Rab Mahnet and Mishtar traits, followed by FMs with Rab Sheni and Mishtar traits. Characters with the Ish 'al' Arast (governor) trait should only recruit in emergencies. Client rulers can recruit troops freely if the recruitment is fully developed. They can also recruit mercenaries in emergency situations. Seems strange at first, but it makes me focus on developing certain cities for military purposes and also on recruiting mercenaries early in the game/if I want extra-ordinary troops.

2. Navy. A full unit of ships (100 on huge unit settings) can transport 4 units of land troops. That means that I have to have 5 units (or close enough) of ships to transport a complete army in one trip, or make more trips. This house rule makes me invest into recruting and maintaining a sizeable navy, and as a side effect, it makes me recruit mercernaries if I am not able to ship a complete army to its intended destination. Additionaly, I can only land troops in ports or near cities/minor settlements.

3. Land army movement/fighting. Captain-led troops can move on their own, but it should be down to a minimum. Only FMs with Rab Mahnet/Rab Sheni traits can lead troops into attack.

4. Ending battles. After I rout the whole enemy army and the "End battle" option appears, I must accept it. This rule helps save the AI and it saves me time.

5. Towers. I don't build them. Spies will have to do.

6. No assassins. Not exactly a rule set in stone, but I haven't bothered to recruit one so far and I don't think I will recruit any.

7. I must fully trigger the troop spawning garrison script when sieging capital cities that are still held by the original faction. It's a shame to let it go to waste.
    Examples:
    If Rome is held by the Romani with 10 or fewer units, and the garrison script fires up and spawns 10 new units, I can siege the city.
    If Rome is held by a faction other than the Romani, I can siege the city.
    If Rome is held by the Romani with 10 or fewer units, but the garrison script does not fire up because of cooldown, I cannot siege the city.
    If Rome is held by the Romani with 11 or more units, I cannot siege the city.

8. No banners, no green arrows, no information about morale and fatigue. All of that is disabled.

9. No retraining, I can only merge depleted units. The one "exception" to this rule is additional training. For example, I recruit a unit of Libyan hoplites in Carthage, and it has 2 experience. If the unit is at full numbers, I may retrain it Utica, where it will gain an additional point of experience due to the War temple there.

To be expanded...

Commentary:

1. The increased lethality. It has considerably sped up battles and it has made cavalry charges (and charges in general) much, much more effective. Apart from the fact that I now have less time to spend watching the fight unfold like I used to do, I appreciate the change. As much as I like slow slugging matches, I just don't have time for them anymore.

2. Rebel spawns. Huge improvement! Not only do they make more sense composition-wise, they're also tougher to fight. Well done.

3. AI. While not berserk by any means, AI seems to be decently aggressive in the early game.

Sicily:
    After I took Messina, a (scripted?) Roman/Mamertine army tried to retake it. While unexpected, it was a fun fight. After I took Syracuse as well, Rome and Epirus gave up on Sicily entirely.

Corsica and Sardinia:
    Early in the campaign, Rome landed troops in Corsica, but tended to back off and sue for peace once I scored a number of naval victories. I only fought them twice on land in Corsica. Apart from a rebel spawn or two, Sardinia has been peaceful, productive and prosperous.

Africa:
    After the script triggered war with Numidia, the Numidians besieged Utica with a full stack army. Needless to say, a very brutal response shattered all their hopes and dreams. I expanded greatly at their expense, mostly because I want a safer rear area so I can fight Rome and trigger the reforms. I took Phasania from the rebels and I will soon take the other interior African province (I forget the name). The land border with the Ptolemies has been peaceful and I haven't bothered taking Kyrene.

Iberia:
    I had some adventures fighting Eleutheroi stacks in Iberia. I took Mastia. No contact with the Celtiberians and Lusitanians thus far. We will see what the future holds.

4. Ballista towers. OP. Definitely, OP. I had to learn that the hard way during the assault on Syracuse (Romans took it from the Eleutheroi, but the city rebelled in favor of Epirus, and I besieged it afterwards). Even though I had a 3 to 1 advantage in numbers, the ballista towers absolutely made me regret the attack.

This be the result of some three ballista hits, judge for yourselves:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0032.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	364881

5. Reforms: Barcid/anti-Barcid FMs are no longer rare species, which is very much welcomed. I'm yet to trigger the reforms, mostly because I haven't fought enough large battles with Rome. That will change in the coming days...

6. Wife/Family traits. I like them. They're there, but not over the top. They're just right.

To be expanded... eventually.
    Last edited by Rad; May 20, 2021 at 06:17 PM. Reason: adding info

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Default Re: R2 feedback

Hi there, great feedback.

Was also playing a Carthaginian campaign, although in H/M and without the house rules you present.
    I never recruit from the mercenary pool when in campaign so I mostly have to rely on the various recruitment possibilities available at the colonies in a way to maintain a reasonably multicultural army. That makes this “somewhat” hard when you want to fill those quotas of iberian, ligurian and celtic units in your army and not just spam a Libyan stack of spearmen, skirmishers and cavalry. But it is also what makes playing Carthage interesting and challenging because you are almost always winning in the bank department. But I understand why you limit your recruitment to certain character traits/offices.
    Also, always thought that the ships units (100) referred to the total number of individual vessels, and having around more than 200-300 would be unrealistic. But thinking more about the actual upkeep, that might not be the case, I suppose.

The Messana Script is cool but the responding roman army lacks in power and should be buffed in future revisions of the mod. I believe they lack cavalry to make them troublesome, as I beat it in a sally out battle with little more than a half stack, somewhat depleted from the battle for Messana and two/three turns of siege attrition.
    On a related note, for me the Barcid Submod from Lusitano does a great job strengthening the Roman response to Carthage expansion for the first punic war. This, together with many other additions to the game like traits, buildings, units and scripts. Would recommend this to anyone. Would recommend to everyone who wants to spice things up and likes surprises.

Rome does a great job attacking Corsica but for interesting expansion in Sicily, it is vital that the Romans have taken Rhegium early on. I’ve seen this in previous versions where they have Rhegium and are actively invading the island to siege Syracuse. If it was possible, I would suggest to the team to make the scripted siege of Rhegium early on in the game to help the AI.
    Last edited by Raiuga; May 20, 2021 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    Hi there, great feedback.
    I never recruit from the mercenary pool when in campaign so I mostly have to rely on the various recruitment possibilities available at the colonies in a way to maintain a reasonably multicultural army. That makes this “somewhat” hard when you want to fill those quotas of iberian, ligurian and celtic units in your army and not just spam a Libyan stack of spearmen, skirmishers and cavalry. But it is also what makes playing Carthage interesting and challenging because you are almost always winning in the bank department.
    I used to avoid recruiting mercenaries in previous campaigns, but I have recently changed my mind. Mercs make a good money dump because they're more expensive than troops recruited from cities. I expect that my Iberian cities will soon be ready to start contributing troops - that should help with troop variety. Oh yeah, I love Carthage's economy. I really do.

Also, always thought that the ships units (100) referred to the total number of individual vessels, and having around more than 200-300 would be unrealistic. But thinking more about the actual upkeep, that might not be the case, I suppose.
    The troop transport capacity rule is there make me spend more cash on navies. It adds some logistical considerations as well.

The Messana Script is cool but the responding roman army lacks in power and should be buffed in future revisions of the mod. I believe they lack cavalry to make them troublesome, as I beat it in a sally out battle with little more than a half stack, somewhat depleted from the battle for Messana and two/three turns of siege attrition.
    I remember that the Messana army wasn't OP, but it wasn't a total pushover either. I also defeated it in sally using the army that took Messana. I agree that their response could be stronger.

Rome does a great job attacking Corsica but for interesting expansion in Sicily, it is vital that the Romans have taken Rhegium early on. I’ve seen this in previous versions where they have Rhegium and are actively invading the island to siege Syracuse. If it was possible, I would suggest to the team to make the scripted siege of Rhegium early on in the game to help the AI.
    Yeah, for a while it looked like I'd have my hands full fighting in Corsica, but then Rome went north, into Gaul. They haven't visited since. Rhegium... that place is a mess. I'm going to make separate post about it, for clarity's sake.

For those interested, I have edited my first post and added additional information.

You don't see this every day. Actually, this is the first time ever for me. This wasn't some rebellion gone wild. The Ptolemies landed in Italy. In force. They took Rhegion from the rebels (for reasons unknown to me, Rome has a massive problem keeping that city).

Turn 175. They landed.

Name:	0033.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	364887

Turn 177. They took the city, landed an additional, larger army and that army rebelled. There's a movie somewhere in this.

Name:	0034.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	364888

Since the Ptolemies declared war on me by blocking my port, I used their invasion as an excuse to get a toehold in Italy - I'll show myself out.
    I defeated the army that went rebel and now I'm sieging the city.

Let me guess, the larger army didn't have a character leading it?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Let me guess, the larger army didn't have a character leading it?
    I think it did. Let me see if I can produce a screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    You don't see this every day. Actually, this is the first time ever for me. This wasn't some rebellion gone wild. The Ptolemies landed in Italy. In force. They took Rhegion from the rebels (for reasons unknown to me, Rome has a massive problem keeping that city).
    So major health warning on this - i was using the enhanced campaign movement submod - but I've seen the Ptolemies land in Italy and Sicily this patch (I've a long and boring post about the strange things I've seen the Ptolemies up to on that thread). But at least in that context this patch seems to have done a really good job of getting the Ptolemies and to a lesser extent carthage to launch at least moderately successful naval invasions

Here we go. I managed to find a save in which this man isn't destroyed.

Definitely an FM, definitely Ptolemaioi turncoats.

FM:

Name:	0035.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	364889

Army:

Name:	0036.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	364890

Quote Originally Posted by Gunydii View Post
    So major health warning on this - i was using the enhanced campaign movement submod - but I've seen the Ptolemies land in Italy and Sicily this patch (I've a long and boring post about the strange things I've seen the Ptolemies up to on that thread). But at least in that context this patch seems to have done a really good job of getting the Ptolemies and to a lesser extent carthage to launch at least moderately successful naval invasions
    Forget the Ptolemies, in my Rome game, I kicked Carthage out of Sicily but left Syrakousai rebel held. Epiros and KH both kept landing stacks near the city and fighting each other, over who would get to siege Syrakousai...

I think it did. Let me see if I can produce a screenshot.
    Here we go. I managed to find a save in which this man isn't destroyed.

Definitely an FM, definitely Ptolemaioi turncoats.

FM:

Name:	0035.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	364889

Army:

Name:	0036.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	364890
    Crap, for once the AI got it's stuff together and led a half-decent force. Looks like I'll have to give the AIGeneral trait a Loyalty bonus to make some of these random revolts less likely. The AI factions are suffering enough as it is without their characters going turncoat at the drop of a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Crap, for once the AI got it's stuff together and led a half-decent force. Looks like I'll have to give the AIGeneral trait a Loyalty bonus to make some of these random revolts less likely. The AI factions are suffering enough as it is without their characters going turncoat at the drop of a hat.

I don't know how it is with the other hellenes but the Ptolemaioi always have very low loyalty. Are there other ways to get authority up besides fighting battles?

Before I took Rhegion, I noticed that the Ptolemies had another force up north. It wasn't much to look at, being captain-lead and depleted as it was. I don't know what it was doing in Roman terf, there's no war between them. Very interesting, though - between that northern troop, Rhegion's garrison and the turncoats, the Ptolemaic invasion force had 30+ units (a good deal of them understrength, though).

Turn 180 - the northern troop before I took Rhegion and went after it.

Name:	1.1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	364913

Now, here comes the interesting bit. They very quickly sent a force to retake the city. Brave. Not smart, but brave.

Turn 186 - the ill-thought-out countersiege.

Name:	1.2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	283.7 KB 
ID:	364914

Some questions:

1. Does Carthage have a fallback trigger for its first reform in this version? If so, when does it trigger? I got the reform in 225 BC, but I am not 100% sure it was thanks to my actions (I did win a large land battle against Rome just the turn before, I am just not sure if I accumulated enough victories).

2. Lilybaeum has a pool of 5 mercenary hoplite units. I know that it's related to the captured hoplites script, but is such a big pool in that particular city intentional?

3. Sardinia's pool of Liby-Phoenician hoplites replenishes on the next turn. Is that intentional? It looks off.
    Last edited by Rad; May 24, 2021 at 02:21 PM.

I'm impressed with that Ptolemaioi army, the AI put a half-decent composition together.

1. No, there's no fallback for the human player of Carthage, only for the AI.

2. Yes, they're actual recruitable units in Lilubim (representing a unit we decided not to give a unit slot to). You might have a combination of the recruitable and captured there.

3. I don't know what you mean here. The timing or the availability or the unit?

1. I did on my own, then. That's good.

2. It's a really large pool of good quality troops. And if you drain it, there's a new unit ready the very next turn. I'll skip recruiting from it for now.

3. There's two units of Liby-Phoenician hoplites in that's city's unit pool. I click to recruit one, and a message says that another one will be ready the next turn. Screenshot inbound.

EDIT: Added screenshot. As you can see, replenishment is almost instant. Carthage's African core cities can't replace them that fast.

Name:	0043.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	364915
    Last edited by Rad; May 24, 2021 at 05:59 PM.

3. There's two units of Liby-Phoenician hoplites in that's city's unit pool. I click to recruit one, and a message says that another one will be ready the next turn. Screenshot inbound.

EDIT: Added screenshot. As you can see, replenishment is almost instant. Carthage's African core cities can't replace them that fast.

It doesn't seem excessive, especially when you as Carthage managed to keep Sardinia for that long + adding the effects of colonization during all those years. Historically, Sardinia was a very important region for Carthage but they lost it during the Mercenary War, around 239BC.
    As you have it at 196BC, it makes sense that the recruitment pools have increased there to good levels.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

1. I did on my own, then. That's good.

2. It's a really large pool of good quality troops. And if you drain it, there's a new unit ready the very next turn. I'll skip recruiting from it for now.

It only takes one turn (3 months) for that unit to replenish. After that, you will see it takes 11 turns for both slots. Still too quick for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    It doesn't seem excessive, especially when you as Carthage managed to keep Sardinia for that long + adding the effects of colonization during all those years. Historically, Sardinia was a very important region for Carthage but they lost it during the Mercenary War, around 239BC.
    As you have it at 196BC, it makes sense that the recruitment pools have increased there to good levels.
    That second Dorekim Afriqim comes from the Allied Capital Polis and not from the Colonies. It is still strange that a unit slot is replenished in only 3 months. After that it takes 11 turns, seems off.

Starting pools, refresh and total pools are cumulative. If you have multiple sources of the same unit, they will be added together.

EDIT: Actually there was an error in the Council pool for the merc hoplite, a missing "not" meaning there were two lines available before the late Hellenistic reform. After which they'd both disappear.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; May 25, 2021 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post

The thing I find odd is that Sardinia has a faster replenishment rate than the African core cities. But then again, maybe it was an attractive place for colonists. In any case, I can get better trained Liby-Phoenician hoplites in Utica, so it's non-issue.

It only takes one turn (3 months) for that unit to replenish. After that, you will see it takes 11 turns for both slots. Still too quick for my liking.

That second Dorekim Afriqim comes from the Allied Capital Polis and not from the Colonies. It is still strange that a unit slot is replenished in only 3 months. After that it takes 11 turns, seems off.
    Agreed. I'll just recruit them in other places.

Back to the report...

I made peace with the Romans and with the Ptolemies. The Numidians decided to try to retake some of the lands I took, so they besieged eastern Mauretania with a 2200-man strong army. Much to his credit, my client ruler there managed to rout them, killing two FMs in the process.

Question: Carthage can't build Closely Allied Oligarchy in camps, correct?

Interestingly, the Numidians landed a force and besieged the Balearic islands. It was only 4 units and captain led, but it was most refreshing.

Unfortunately for them, the assault was doomed from the beginning. Not only did they lack the numbers for a proper assault, the ballista towers hit them like crazy (city is Large City atm). To add to their misery, their ram got stuck and couldn't start ramming the gate. I let them in so I can end the battle.

Name:	0042.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	364917
    Last edited by Rad; May 25, 2021 at 01:08 PM.

The Great Iberian Adventure has begun.

After turn 200, things got heated in the Iberian Peninsula - only partially thanks to me. I'll divide this report into sections.

Eleutheroi: I sieged Emporion. A roaming Eleutheroi stack came to its rescue. I defeated it and the city garrison, took the city. I replaced my losses with fresh troops and I replaced the aging general who took the city (that general also took Syracuse early in his career), sending him back to Carthage for a few years of peace before the inevitable. Afterwards, a smaller Eleutheroi army parked itself close to Emporion. A 5 unit rebel spawn merged into it, transforming it into a formidable force. Having other events happening at the same time (see bellow), I initially did not want to engage that army. However, the new commander got the "Bored" trait, so I attacked the Eleutheroi in order to remedy it. I now firmly hold Emporion.

Lusitanians: A Lusitanian diplomat approached with the "give us cash or we attack" message. Rad does not negotiate with brigands. Much to their credit, the Lusitanians almost immediately put their money where their mouths were, marching two armies into Gader. Not wanting to suffer a siege, I met both armies in the field and defeated them. They sued for peace afterwards. I accepted. Trade was resumed some time after. It's business as usual, and the ravens are fat.

The two armies and my response:

Name:	0049.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	364922 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0050.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	364923

Celtiberians: If ever there was a bad time and way to start a war... The Celtiberians blockaded my port, giving me a splendind casus belli. What they did not realise is that New Carthage finally came into its full manpower potential and that I moved a number of very capable FMs into the region - the best of them being a true master recruiter, combining the "Mishtar" trait with the "Acclaimed by soldiers" trait. I sieged Arse. A Celtiberian army came to the region, but did not intervene in the siege. Seeing as I was now outnumbered, I ordered a retreat to New Carthage where I reinforced my army and resupplied. I then attacked the Celtiberian field army. It was a huge success. I destroyed much of it, killing 2 out of 3 FMs in the process. In a show of good will, I released the prisoners. I will not be so merciful next time. Kontrebia was virtually undefended, being garrisoned only by the aging Celtiberian FL and his retinue. I sieged it. In a stroke of luck, he died of old age. I will occupy the city instead of sacking it, to see what will happen.

The Celtiberian relief army and my now reinforced army:

Name:	0045.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	364925

Regarding Celtiberian FMs... they're terrible. I don't remember seeing that many negative traits in other enemy FMs. This is the FL that died of old age, the others I've seen aren't much better:

Name:	0046.jpg 
Size:	257.2 KB 
ID:	364926 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0047.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	364927 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0048.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	364928

Numidians: The Numidians resumed their attack on my Client Ruler in east Mauretania. His forces weren't sufficient this time, so I scrambled whatever I could from New Carthage and sent it to relieve the ally. It was another victory. The war did cost me something. A very capable, but disgruntled FM of mine got persuaded by a Numidian diplomat to join their cause. I sent three kill teams (troops, not assassins) to get him, he managed to survive every time. This has made me realize just how dangerous Numidian bodyguard units are. They're capable fighters, but they can bolt it at the first sign of trouble. Also, Numidian FMs need a special model - I can't distinguish them from the bodyguards. In a twist of fate, the traitor FM became the Numidian faction heir. Life writes novels.
    Last edited by Rad; May 29, 2021 at 06:09 AM.

THE WORLD BEYOND.

It's turn 254 and it's time I start talking about the bigger picture. One of my spies went on a long trip to the Near East, this is what he learned before meeting a rather unfortunate end in Cisalpine Gaul on his return trip (96% chance to successfully enter the city and he dies).

Name:	11.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	364948

The Seleucids have been pushed out of Syria, but they look alive and kicking further east. They have some holdings in Asia Minor as well.

The Ptolemies seem healthy, but have lost Upper Egypt for some reason.

Hayasdan looks like its doing alright for itself. Looking out for number one.

Pergamon and Pontus... well, they're there.

I haven't bothered looking at the Nabataeans, but Saba is destroyed, so I guess they're doing fine.

Western and Central Mediterranean:

Name:	12.png 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	364949

Rome has expanded both northwest and northeast. Interestingly, they hold Crete and they used to hold Sparta as well.

Makedonia looks like the top dog in Greece and the neighbourhood. KH and Epirus have been resurrected, that and their other enemies might have set them back a bit.

The Aedui and Arverni are in alliance and jointly hold most of Gaul. I am fighting the Arverni atm. I saw Aedui troops parked next to Arverni cities a number of times. It feels like they're acting as a deterrent.

Celtiberians/Lusitanians - They attacked me and are now feeling the consequences.

Faction relations:

Arche Seleukeia: at war with Ptolemaioi, Taksashila, HalMalkut HaNabati - allied with Pergamon

Makedonia: at war with Epeiros, Koinon Hellenon, Ptolemaioi and Pergamon

Ptolemaioi: at war with Makedonia, Arche Seleukeia and Hayasdan - allied with HalMalkut HaNabati and Massylia (that explains some things)

Hayasdan: at war with Ptolemaioi, Pontos and Kimmerios Bosphoros

Romani: at war with Epeiros and Pergamon

Epeiros: at war with Romani and Makedonia

Koinon Hellenon: at war Makedonia

HalMalkut HaNabati: at war with Arche Seleukeia - allied with Ptolemaioi

Lougiones: at war with Swȇbōz - allied with Boii

Kimmerios Bosphoros: at war with Hayasdan, Kimmerios Bosphoros

Taksashila: at war with Arche Seleukeia

Pergamon: at war with Romani and Makedonia - allied with Arche Seleukeia

Saka Rauka: at war with Pahlava

Sauromatae: at war with Kimmerios Bosphoros

Massylia: not at war at the present (but they'll probably try to backstab me again) - allied with Ptolemaioi

Pritanoi: Aedui (I did saw them in northern Gaul/Belgium)

Swȇbōz: at war with Lougiones and Boii

Getai: no war at present (I guess they aren't so restless after all)

Pahlava: at war with Baktria and Saka Rauka

Aedui: at war with Pritanoi - allied with Arverni

Baktria: at war with Pahlava

Pontos: at war with Hayasdan

Arverni/Arevaci/Lusotannan - at war with me. Big mistake.
    Last edited by Rad; June 03, 2021 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added the rest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast