Thread: Issue retraining units recruitable as mercs.

Default Issue retraining units recruitable as mercs.

In my Boii campaign, I was able to retrain any of my units at a settlement:
    a) where I could train said unit, provided the unit pool was full enough; or
    b) located in a region where I could recruit said unit as a mercenary, provided that the merc pool was full enough

I expanded west into Gaul and east all the way to Byzantium, with no issues for any particular units.

In my Pontus campaign, for many units which are recruitable as mercs:
    a) I often cannot retrain them in regions where they are recruitable, even if the merc pool is sufficiently full
    b) I often cannot retrain them in settlements where I could train them, even if the unit pool is full enough
    c) sometimes I'm in a settlement where I could recruit or train them, the unit pools are full, and I cannot retrain them

Units I've found affected include:
    - merc hoplites (including when I have the "train merc hoplite" objective that allows me to train a single unit from factional govs)
    - aorsi riders (trainable)
    - skythian riders (trainable)
    - uazali (trainable)
    - kurepos
    - raskumenazi (trainable)

Units I've found not affected
    - galatian raiders
    - anatolian units, except for light cav (medium cav not affected)

What leads me to believe that this is a bug is that it's inconsistent for the affected units:
    - sometimes the unit doesn't show up in the retrain window at all
    - sometimes it does show up, but it says that the pool is empty (even when it's not)
    - every once in a while it will let me retrain the unit, but if I remove the unit from the queue it doesn't allow me to add it back

Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks again, guys.
    Last edited by Krampus; October 23, 2017 at 10:33 PM.

Default Re: Issue retraining units recruitable as mercs.

This is an interaction with hardcoded issues of retraining. Technically, you shouldn't be able to retrain mercs at all, so this is a semi-exploit that allows you to do it in the first place.

To be honest, I have no idea how those mechanics work, it seems to be pretty random when and if mercenary-recruitable units are retrain-able in the settlements covered by that pool.

It may also be interacting with the retrain bug for units which already have experience (where you have to do that last thing in a turn).
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; October 25, 2017 at 10:14 AM.

I've noticed the problem. I think it may be time-related. If you raise the unit and then do not retrain it for a long time and the merc. pool fills to max, then you are not able to retrain it. There is a way to circumvent this partially. You can still merge this unretrainable unit to a similar trainable unit. It is not ideal, but is something.

Quote Originally Posted by nickygg View Post
    You can still merge this unretrainable unit to a similar trainable unit.
    What do you mean? Are you saying that for a unit, like Uazali, which are both recruitable as mercs and trainable from settlements, the game tracks which ones were mercs and which were trained? And you can only retrain the ones which are not marked as mercs?

No, the game can't track them as different, since they're the same unit. The only difference is that one has experience (the merc) and the other may not (the recruitable one). Note there's already a known bug with retraining experienced units.

There are only six dedicated mercenary units, four Celtic and two Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No, the game can't track them as different, since they're the same unit. The only difference is that one has experience (the merc) and the other may not (the recruitable one). Note there's already a known bug with retraining experienced units.

There are only six dedicated mercenary units, four Celtic and two Greek.
    The only known retraining but that I'm familiar with is the one where retrained units will lose their chevrons if you do something like move an agent after putting the unit in the retrain queue.

This bug simply does not allow me to retrain certain units, most of which I can train freshly at a settlement. Except some of the time, randomly, when I can retrain them.

Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    What do you mean? Are you saying that for a unit, like Uazali, which are both recruitable as mercs and trainable from settlements, the game tracks which ones were mercs and which were trained? And you can only retrain the ones which are not marked as mercs?
    Actually, I am saying exactly the opposite - you can merge a merc into a trainable unit. Latter on, if the trainable unit suffers losses - it is trainable.

Quote Originally Posted by nickygg View Post
    Actually, I am saying exactly the opposite - you can merge a merc into a trainable unit. Latter on, if the trainable unit suffers losses - it is trainable.
    Huh. You know, I think you might be right.

I had two unit of Uazali, one depleted, one freshly trained, both sitting in settlement. Depleted unit did not show up as retrainable.

I merged the depleted unit with the trained unit. All of a sudden, Uazali shows up as retrainable.

Thanks, I'm going to do a bit more testing, try to replicate this.

Yeah, wow, so that seems to work. Some individual units of the exact same type are not retrainable, but by combining and shifting around with other units, they magically become retrainable.