Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Constitution Revamp

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default [Discussion] Constitution Revamp

Alright then fellas, this is a thread for brainstorming. It's clear that for many the constitution is too complicated, too abstract, too ancient one might say. During this term I'd like to have that changed, and I'd like to improve it, and possibly even revamp it. This of course is something I can't do without my fellow citizens approval, and so before I go out on a tangent, do a lot of work on something that results in completely rubbish amendment I'd like to ask you a couple of questions.

What do you feel are the biggest flaws of the current constitution?

Are there any points that are no longer relevant?

Are there things that should be added?

How do you feel about the footnotes?

And anything else you feel inclined to comment upon regarding it.

I'm hoping to see a few inputs here that will give me something to base a rework on, so thank you all for replying.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Discussion] Constitution Revamp

In the Constitution there' are definitions and procedures.
    Why not starting to separate them? Keep the constitution for the basic definitions and principles. Then all procedures (like elections, referral, etc...) and their requirements should be stored/ordered 1 by 1 (don't know the exact term in English) with a link for each in the Constitution.
    Mode documents but easier to spot the part you want to check
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I have a probably somewhat radical suggestion:

Just get rid of almost all regulations and procedures.

We elect responsible and trustworthy individuals as Consuls, we can trust them to sort out the administrative details (time periods, voting duration, dealing with absent officers) according to their own discretion.
    That would also reduce the opportunities to VoNC officials for not super-exactly following every regulation and if a Consul actually abuses their discretion we can still make proper use of the VoNC (yay, the drama!).

The only regulations I'd keep are requirements for offices. Everything else can be dealt with by consulary discretion and citizens voting responsibly in applications and proposals.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Begin with the PDF. It's a nice modernization.

Step 2, clean up the wording, eliminate redundancy. This is content change, but should not fundamentally alter things, merely make the whole easier to adjust as well as swallow.

Then the controversial stage of 'kill praefects', etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Majora View Post
    Begin with the PDF. It's a nice modernization.

Step 2, clean up the wording, eliminate redundancy. This is content change, but should not fundamentally alter things, merely make the whole easier to adjust as well as swallow.

Then the controversial stage of 'kill praefects', etc etc...
    Yeah, I'm not interested in sweeping reform either. For now I'm just looking at cleaning the document up.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    I have a probably somewhat radical suggestion:

Just get rid of almost all regulations and procedures.

We elect responsible and trustworthy individuals as Consuls, we can trust them to sort out the administrative details (time periods, voting duration, dealing with absent officers) according to their own discretion.
    That would also reduce the opportunities to VoNC officials for not super-exactly following every regulation and if a Consul actually abuses their discretion we can still make proper use of the VoNC (yay, the drama!).

The only regulations I'd keep are requirements for offices. Everything else can be dealt with by consulary discretion and citizens voting responsibly in applications and proposals.
    that's basically how we work in the Staff, isn't it? Except that we don't need to elect people, but we simply consult with each other to decide if a member is worthy to be hired or promoted, or deserves an award or some rep.. Hexers oversee everything, Seniors manage "younger" staffers and all together we work at our best to be productive while maintaining a friendly and positive attitude. I don't remember of any drama in the Staff, actually the drama became so when it was moved from the Staff to the Curia (remember the HS drama?) ... mind you, it does not mean that it's all perfect (I hate Hader for instance, and have been trying to overthrow him for ages.. ah curse you, damned Inquisitor! ), but we try to respect each other and we keep an eye on each other.. we don't VonC, we don't go for witch hunting, but we rather "educate" each other every other day (Tango, sorry for having annoyed you so many times ) and we go by majority without the need of putting up two opposing fronts.

maybe it's worth to put a proposal for a complete overhaul of the Curia.. maybe
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

(Tango, sorry for having annoyed you so many times )
    You so aren't .

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Yeah, I'm not interested in sweeping reform either. For now I'm just looking at cleaning the document up.
    Agreed. If anyone have notice it, but the timestamp for the OP is from 2007 and the other posts is a year later.

It is about time The Constitution gets updated with a new modern layout.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Moderator Emeritus

You have to look at the last edit timestamp to see when it was last updated. That would e 2019/2020, although the last major change in layout and structure was probably 2018.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Moderator Emeritus

I've tried and removed all the regulatory fluff from the document, leaving only the actual constitutional principles that (hopefully) define us. I shamelessly used Akar's PDF version for the edits, as it is much easier to use than extracting the text from the BB Code riddled Constitution thread.

Constitution_short.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    that's basically how we work in the Staff, isn't it? Except that we don't need to elect people, but we simply consult with each other to decide if a member is worthy to be hired or promoted, or deserves an award or some rep.. Hexers oversee everything, Seniors manage "younger" staffers and all together we work at our best to be productive while maintaining a friendly and positive attitude. I don't remember of any drama in the Staff, actually the drama became so when it was moved from the Staff to the Curia (remember the HS drama?) ... mind you, it does not mean that it's all perfect (I hate Hader for instance, and have been trying to overthrow him for ages.. ah curse you, damned Inquisitor! ), but we try to respect each other and we keep an eye on each other.. we don't VonC, we don't go for witch hunting, but we rather "educate" each other every other day (Tango, sorry for having annoyed you so many times ) and we go by majority without the need of putting up two opposing fronts.

I'm sure you would prefer if Hex could just appoint whoever it wants in all positions on this site. But that rather defeats the purpose of having non-hex appointed positions at all, doesn't it? Maybe, after all, Hex isn't the end all be all of the site. Maybe outside sources may actually prove to be beneficial to the site. As hex it is easy to believe you know everything. Insight is knowing that you may not. Your contention there's no drama in staff is just...completely false.

The view from within the ivory tower is very different from without. The longer you're in, the harder it becomes to see outside.

Moderator Emeritus

I think you misread Flinn's post. The main thrust was about solving issues in an atmosphere of collegiality without much explicit regulatory fluff around, which might be something we should try in the Curia.

I will let Flinn determine whether or not I have misread his post, but obviously what you've delineated is my preferred method of resolving any controversy. Let's see is the powers that be agree.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I've tried and removed all the regulatory fluff from the document, leaving only the actual constitutional principles that (hopefully) define us. I shamelessly used Akar's PDF version for the edits, as it is much easier to use than extracting the text from the BB Code riddled Constitution thread.

Constitution_short.pdf
    I'll read through this later, but I just wanted to quickly post a link to where you can read this .pdf without being prompted to download it.

https://www.docdroid.net/n4323YU/constitution-short-pdf

edit: for what it's worth, that's also the message I got out of Flinn's post too, Iskar.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Moderator Emeritus

Nice, thanks

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    What do you have in mind?

If you want to keep things simple do:

Re order the Constitutions to a more readable format. (remove the dreaded footnotes).

Akar's approach makes more sense. It just needs numbers to allow for easy referencing and amending.

Keep things simple.

Remove Prefects.

Elevate the Consul position to equivalence of an Admin (Thought he color and badge will remain unchanged, it is more of a status thing).
    Eliminate "censors" Bring back the Curator. The Curator will be responsible for the daily chores.
    The Consul will act as a moderator of the Curia.
    If activity rises again, we simply add Curators. All elected.

What we have is one elected Consul, one elected Curator, and two Elected Magistrate.

I would add one wrinkle. Allow Magistrate to be the final interpretation of the Constitution. If there is a split between the two the Consul will decide.
    Magistrates and Consul cannot be VonC for their "interpretation." if you do not like their decision, then either vote against them in the next election or make a proposal.

if you want wait periods; 1 month for Curator,3 months for magistrate, and 6 months for Consul.

Additional powers of the Consul; allow the Consul to appoint positions or committee without resolutions.
    All proposals just need one second as opposed to three. let things go to vote. Consequentially, i would extend the debate time from 3 days to 5 days thus allowing people a chance to see the proposal.

Edit:

Remove the entire referral system. Keep the Ostrakon. The Consul and Curator can determine merit.
    Referrals from moderation;
    Minor violations is a "Censor" from the Consul.
    Major warnings gets noted.
    if persistent, the Consul can initiate an Ostrakon.

Simple and Sweet
    Last edited by PikeStance; May 21, 2020 at 01:29 AM.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    If you want to keep things simple do:

Re order the Constitutions to a more readable format. (remove the dreaded footnotes).

Akar's approach makes more sense. It just needs numbers to allow for easy referencing and amending.

Keep things simple.

Remove Prefects.

Elevate the Consul position to equivalence of an Admin (Thought he color and badge will remain unchanged, it is more of a status thing).
    Eliminate "censors" Bring back the Curator. The Curator will be responsible for the daily chores.
    The Consul will act as a moderator of the Curia.
    If activity rises again, we simply add Curators. All elected.

What we have is one elected Consul, one elected Curator, and two Elected Magistrate.

I would add one wrinkle. Allow Magistrate to be the final interpretation of the Constitution. If there is a split between the two the Consul will decide.
    Magistrates and Consul cannot be VonC for their "interpretation." if you do not like their decision, then either vote against them in the next election or make a proposal.

if you want wait periods; 1 month for Curator,3 months for magistrate, and 6 months for Consul.

Additional powers of the Consul; allow the Consul to appoint positions or committee without resolutions.
    All proposals just need one second as opposed to three. let things go to vote. Consequentially, i would extend the debate time from 3 days to 5 days thus allowing people a chance to see the proposal.

Edit:

Remove the entire referral system. Keep the Ostrakon. The Consul and Curator can determine merit.
    Referrals from moderation;
    Minor violations is a "Censor" from the Consul.
    Major warnings gets noted.
    if persistent, the Consul can initiate an Ostrakon.

Simple and Sweet
    That is not even close to be simple and sweet.

Do we really have Curator(s)? I don't think so. Besides, Order 66 replaced Curator's Assistant with Censors.

The last part is basically a re-introduction of the CdeC, nothing else.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

LOL, do you even know what the CdeC is?

It was a group of 12. They did more than just vote in citizens. They also dealt with discipline.

The above removed half of the people we have now.

One Consul (replaces the prefects and Primus prefects)
    Curator (replaces censors and it is now one person). We don't need an army of Assistants.
    The elections will be stacked so that each person is responsible for conducting the elections.

The last part removes the triumvirate altogether.

No more debates in discipline. If you get a Curia warning or a moderators warning above 2 points, then 1 month suspension.
    Minor moderators warnings and Curial warnings can be dealt with with a Censure

If a citizen is persistent, then an Ostrakon is initiated. T keep it from being Arbitrary, both the Curator and Consul must agree.

I am not seeing how "two people" turned into 12 people, but ok.

Curator makes sense because originally, the Censors do what the Curator did. Plus, it brings back a historic title doing what it did before.

We really do not need three "moderators." The Consul and Curator can perform this task.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

@ Ponti, Iskar is on point, that's what I'm referring to.

I think you misread Flinn's post. The main thrust was about solving issues in an atmosphere of collegiality without much explicit regulatory fluff around, which might be something we should try in the Curia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Your contention there's no drama in staff is just...completely false.
    Think as you prefer, but it is so now. I don't know how it was at your time, but I can ensure you that there has been no drama in the Staff for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    The view from within the ivory tower is very different from without. The longer you're in, the harder it becomes to see outside.
    All the active Hexers aren't sitting in the tower, on the contrary we constantly walk amid the people.. but we are only humans, we miss the godly powers mate, so to say eh.. so we do what we can with what we have.. as I said you more than once you are aiming at the wrong target, and by doing so you are only acting oppositely to what you are pretending to be doing here...
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast