Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Plot & Conquer - Free Multiplayer TBS

Default Re: Plot & Conquer - Multiplayer TBS

I got the report.

If you're on Windows 7 64-bit, maybe try this, it worked for at least one person in that situation.

Another thing you can do is set your system so that it uses the 32bit CLR by-default. You can do this by calling:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Ldr64.exe setwow

Make sure you run this as an Administrator
    The game works with either .Net 3.5 or 4.0, that isn't the problem.
    Last edited by Garnier; September 05, 2010 at 03:59 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Eöl's Avatar Divide and Conquer
    Artifex

sorry. I open the thing as an admin, but the programm immediately closes again, before I can even read it and your game still can't be installed.
    What should I do?? (sorry for being so dum with computers )
    Thanks in advance, Eöl

Under the patronage of Přntifex Maximus

Are you on 64-bit Windows 7?

If so, did you try the possible solution I just posted?

Open the command prompt and type this, and press enter:
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Ldr64.exe setwow

You can open task manager and click File -> New Task for the command prompt if you can't find it in Win7.

If you aren't on 64-bit Windows 7, I'll have to find something else, but that problem only happened twice before, and that was the cause, and this the solution.

Retired moderator of TWC

Artifex

well, yes, I have 64 bit, but the problem is that the black window where I need to put that commannd closes before I can do anything. I can't even read what it says

Alpha Zeke's Avatar Vicarius

in the run box typing cmd, or starting a basic command prompt from the task manager is the solution. they should remain open.

Question: What did the latest update contain?

Confusion: In our game, how in the world did England get all that land in one turn?

Suggestion:
    Fort repairs take 5 men. So does building a 30 fort. Demolishing it then rebuilding it would save you a lot of men...
    Add a Exit to main menu button for the in game menu.

And thanks for the rep Eol!

Artifex

okay, I truly love this game. I love risk, but this is better and can be improved!!!!!

I was wondering what your plans are for expanding this game in the future
    For myself, I would love to have more influence in the battles. Now the one with the most soldiers wins. MAybe some tactics can be involved at some point (for example different soldier classes).

And you are welcome omega

Typo: Fog of war option: No Fow

Also, I just moved computers, is there a way for me to join the game from this computer?

Question: What did the latest update contain?
    Nothing big, I fixed the AI attacking despite armistice bug, and fixed a bunch of other bugs.

Confusion: In our game, how in the world did England get all that land in one turn?
    I left an opening that they couldn't resist apparently. You can keep attacking after a victory, it's only when you attacking a fort or rough terrain that you have to stop. So they took a bunch of land, but I took it back as they didn't have a lot of men to protect it.

Fort repairs take 5 men. So does building a 30 fort. Demolishing it then rebuilding it would save you a lot of men...
    Repairing +6 on a fort costs 2, so yes it's cheaper to demolish and make a new one if the fort is all the way destroyed, BUT you don't get to rebuild it that turn.

I was wondering what your plans are for expanding this game in the future
    I'm not sure what would be best to do at this point. I'm thinking about it. Trouble is I don't have a lot of time to work on it now, so I need to think a lot and decide what to do next and then when I have a big chunk of time code it all at once.

For myself, I would love to have more influence in the battles. Now the one with the most soldiers wins. MAybe some tactics can be involved at some point (for example different soldier classes).
    That's a possibility, even if it's just an Inf/Cav/Art distinction, where for instance cavalry move faster but aren't good in rough terrain, artillery is better at defense, and a few basic things like that. I have to be careful that I don't make it too complicated for the AI to stay decent.

Retired moderator of TWC

Check my post above since we double posted. Also, just wondering, are spies available at all during a No fog of war game? Just thinking for possible glitches I have not seen myself.

Yes they would be, you could still use them but they'd have no effect.

And for playing on a different computer, certainly, just go to Find Online and enter the same game name garnier_omega.

Retired moderator of TWC

Alright. I will be playing my turn very soon then
    also just curious, will this command prompt action have any other effects on my computer and if so is there a way to reverse it?

Also, you could always add a shortcut to the mix if your feeling chancy

Artifex

with different classes would be awesome!!!
    Make this the ultimate risk!!
    I will be happy to help with making scenario's and stuff for this game at some point.

A few things:
    -There are far too many rebellions in my opinion. In my campaign, the whole of france are rebels now
    -I dont like the crossing from spain to england. England should have imo two crossings. One to flanders and one to the east towards norway. But that is just my opinion
    -is there a windowed mode function???
    Will playtest it more
    Thanks for this game

edit: another thing. Using the world as it is now has one big disadvantage. The netherlands is completely different in this time then a few hundred years ago Lots of new land has come up
    Last edited by Eöl; September 06, 2010 at 05:00 PM.

-I dont like the crossing from spain to england. England should have imo two crossings. One to flanders and one to the east towards norway. But that is just my opinion
    If Spain gets even more isolated the position will be too strong. These connections represent sailing since there are no ships.

edit: another thing. Using the world as it is now has one big disadvantage. The netherlands is completely different in this time then a few hundred years ago Lots of new land has come up
    You would notice that, but I wouldn't. Feel free to make another map.

-is there a windowed mode function???
    It uses the pseudo-windowed mode right now, where instead of full screen, it's really a window but it fills the screen. This way you can have other windows on top of it without having to load and unload the game. I'll try adding a normal window at some point.
    There are far too many rebellions in my opinion. In my campaign, the whole of france are rebels now
    I've never seen anything like that. I suppose it could happen. Screenshots?
    Bear in mind that all rebellions are started by other players using plots, they don't occur randomly. They are also easier to start in land owned by a bigger player.

Also for anyone who wants to join a multiplayer game, I'll list the current in progress games. If you wish to join post here and the host (in these cases me) can add you as whichever nation you pick. The game name given means nothing, you just use it to find the savegame the first time you play. When you join a game, you can leave whenever you want, just let the host know so he can switch your nation to AI. You don't need to have a commitment to play at certain times. You get notified when your turn arrives and you can do your turn any time you want.

I'm going to have to add a feature to post the game status online and keep it updated, that would be fun and not too hard.

So here are the two games I'm in now:

mpga
    Britain . . . Michael
    Prussia . . . Garnier
    Russia . . . Pedroskivich
    Spain . . . AlaskanAvenger

garnier_omega
    France . . . Garnier
    Spain . . . Omega
    Last edited by Garnier; September 07, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

Retired moderator of TWC

Artifex

I would love to join the game with you and omega. LEt me be The dutchies please (not that I will survive long ^_^)

About the map: I have been looking into it and I think I can fix a few things on it . Maybe I can also sharpen it a bit or give a better color.
    I am very excited to help you with some minor things for this game, because it is such a cool thing

Oh, I should have said, I'll need an email address to add you, so it can alert you when it's your turn. If you'd rather not post that send a PM.

For map editing, I use custom GIMP scripts to generate the map images, so you probably don't want to just edit the final images that are in the game. I still have to post those scripts and instructions for using them which I haven't made yet.

Btw, to whoever sent those error reports during install just now, thanks, I fixed that problem in the installer just now and uploaded the new one. Download it again from the link in the first post.

Retired moderator of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    No, not a huge playerbase. I've played with 12 different people in the three days since release.

I don't expect a huge number of players, sad as it is this game isn't the type that most people play nowadays. It happens to be the kind of game that I really enjoy, which is why I made it -- because I have fun with it. Everyone I've played it with loves it, but most people haven't tried it.

The good thing is that it is well suited to a large longer-term game where people don't need to be there all at the same time, similar to the empire building forum games here, but automated. You do your turn, then it alerts the next player and he does his turn whenever he wants, then the next player.

The AI doesn't cheat, nor do they target humans above other AI. So if you lose, I'm pleased. I didn't think the Mamelukes would be that hard, they have a good spot in the corner of the map. But, who knows, I'll have to try them some time. My brother played the Ottomans and got squished by Mamelukes, Italy and Russia in the first three turns, and had to assemble his whole army in one province and escape to somewhere safe. You certainly do have to be careful to live very long. If you make some wasted attacks and lose all your army, it's not easy to recover.
    I wouldn't say this isn't the type of game people play these days, its just not the type of game that marketing doesn't tell them to buy. Really the amount of pc gamers who play games that isn't just action garbage or mmorpgs has gone up from the 90s. Its just many other non-gamers and casuals have begun playing games as well and action garbage is where the money is at.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Default Re: Plot & Conquer - Free Multiplayer TBS

There's a link between Morroco and the Arabian Desert. I'm pretty certain the world is round, but I wasn't aware West Africa was directly connected to the Arabian Desert...The Europe Globe?

Also, the actions are quite unbalanced. Assassination is pretty useless as its success chance is way too low and it "only" kills a general if it succeeds.
    Meanwhile, rebellions are the way to go in most scenarios: High success chance and if successful, it not only kills or converts the general, but the whole army within as well (it even can replace a national 4-stack with a 14-stack, causing hefty trouble behind enemy lines). Especially if combined with spies I managed to cripple whole nations with huge armies of rebels while I dug in behind my fortresses. This is especially a good way for small, well-fortified countries. E.g. playing as Portugal, it is ridiculously easy to crush Spain without losing any significant numbers of troops. Once you got that conquered, there isn't much that holds you from steamrolling out.
    Attrition: What does it actually do? I mean, it's rarely useable anyway, and I don't quite get the effect of it...

Reinforcement system: It's pretty neat, just one bugger: Forts are incredibly uber-powerful. Raiding a fort is almost impossible, because you always take insane losses (even if there's only 1 soldier in the enemy territory, a full-stocked fort repells 30 of my expensive soldiers incl. general? wtf?). I switched to only attacking forts if I managed to get some sabotage plots through and disrupt or destroy the fort beforehand, else it ruins you in long-term.

And: The AI is badass. It really doesn't give a crap about if you are human or not. This is pleasant as it's very challenging, on the other hand it can get frustrating if multiple nations decide to attack you on all fronts, simply steamrolling you in a matter of turns, leaving you no chance to counter effectively.
    Tired of annoying filehosters and corrupted downloads when grabbing DMUC?
    Check out my easy and fast torrents HERE!
    Also check out my psd template for an ETW map, highly useful if you make AAR or like to record your map progress for a campaign. Get it HERE

I agree with all the plot things you mentioned, and Forts are a great pain to deal with, but due to their limitations i think they are fairly implemented. But I do have a question about them. In the French Spain border, the top Spanish region bordering France is a rocky area, but I think a fort starts built there?

Also, maybe you could add a change log menu option, just so curious people like me can watch the progress

Thanks for this feedback Senshi.

Quote Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
    There's a link between Morroco and the Arabian Desert. I'm pretty certain the world is round, but I wasn't aware West Africa was directly connected to the Arabian Desert...The Europe Globe?
    I had noticed that but never got around to fixing it. It's actually a bug in the border detection since it just runs through the bytes linearly and doesn't realize when it's at the edge of the map. Fixed it now.

Also, the actions are quite unbalanced. Assassination is pretty useless as its success chance is way too low and it "only" kills a general if it succeeds.
    Yeah, this one is rarely useful. It could theoretically be effective if you played it on a 500-man army, taking out their 3-rank general and then attacking it with your own. (A 3 general increases effectiveness by 15%). But generally it's not worth using.

Meanwhile, rebellions are the way to go in most scenarios: High success chance and if successful, it not only kills or converts the general, but the whole army within as well (it even can replace a national 4-stack with a 14-stack, causing hefty trouble behind enemy lines).
    Rebellions don't kill the general or army. They kill one battalion, the rest of the garrison moves to a neighboring province. They get roughly 5-15 soldiers and a chance of a general, and a very slight chance of getting a fort.

Especially if combined with spies I managed to cripple whole nations with huge armies of rebels while I dug in behind my fortresses. This is especially a good way for small, well-fortified countries. E.g. playing as Portugal, it is ridiculously easy to crush Spain without losing any significant numbers of troops. Once you got that conquered, there isn't much that holds you from steamrolling out.
    Hmm. The counter to rebellions is to have every region in your land be near a garrison so you can eliminate the rebels in one turn and not lose your continent bonus. The AI doesn't do this though (and it probably is better for them that they don't). As a human I rarely have problems with rebellions, but sometimes they do catch me off guard. The point of them is that you can severely hurt a strong nation with them.

Attrition: What does it actually do? I mean, it's rarely useable anyway, and I don't quite get the effect of it...
    It's really not much use right now. I intend to rework it so you can use it on any army that is in a just-conquered territory, and it just kills some of the men, depending on factors like terrain, General, etc. (Well it is useful if you cut them off with rebellions or something and then bomb them with attrition...)

Reinforcement system: It's pretty neat, just one bugger: Forts are incredibly uber-powerful. Raiding a fort is almost impossible, because you always take insane losses (even if there's only 1 soldier in the enemy territory, a full-stocked fort repells 30 of my expensive soldiers incl. general? wtf?). I switched to only attacking forts if I managed to get some sabotage plots through and disrupt or destroy the fort beforehand, else it ruins you in long-term.
    Yes, the forts fight as well as 30 battalions. Their weakness is supposed to be the fact that they can be sabotaged and then your garrison is open to attack, but this may not be balanced right. They're supposed to be very good for holding your border. Several ways they could be nerfed:
    * More expensive (easiest)
    * Take time to build instead of instantaneous.
    * Make sabotage even better. (don't like this because it's already my most used plot.)

And: The AI is badass. It really doesn't give a crap about if you are human or not. This is pleasant as it's very challenging, on the other hand it can get frustrating if multiple nations decide to attack you on all fronts, simply steamrolling you in a matter of turns, leaving you no chance to counter effectively.
    I hope you find it challenging, they don't cheat. What do you think about having the AI go after the largest player a bit more? This would be a bit more like a human player and help prevent steamrolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Řmega View Post
    In the French Spain border, the top Spanish region bordering France is a rocky area, but I think a fort starts built there?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Řmega View Post
    Also, maybe you could add a change log menu option, just so curious people like me can watch the progress
    Yes, good idea.

Also I added a status system for the online games. You can view any games that were played after this point here.
    Last edited by Garnier; September 07, 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Retired moderator of TWC

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast