Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GONDOR RESTORED v1.0- Submod for DaC v3.0

Icon3 GONDOR RESTORED v1.0- Submod for DaC v3.0

Gondor Restored v1.0

Greetings, fellow Númenóreans! This mod re-weights the Kingdom of Gondor's roster by deleting some fiefdom units, replacing them with Late-Tier elites from Gondor's númenórean settlements.
    New units are unique, coming primarily from Minas Ithil, though also Minas Tirith, East Osgiliath, West Osgiliath.
    This centralises Gondor's recruitment, particularly in the late game. This refocus on the late has come about due to the sometimes extreme (ly enjoyable) length of Gondorian campaigns where one conquers Harad, Khand, Umbar, Mordor and even Isengard, Enedwaith and Dunland on occasion. A further centralisation to Númenórean settlements also seemed apt.
    I really enjoyed the fiefdoms roster concept for Gondor, but in the early game it is too expensive (if you have to march your forces 10 turns towards Minas Tirith) and not worth it when you have access to late game units such as the Citadel Guard almost everywhere.

The new units are also designed to make Gondor great again (PUT LINE THROUGH) more tactically 'exciting'; fighting with sword/spear and board with most units can get repetetive in battles, so each unit has been designed with a particular combat function in mind.

Units deleted:
    - Lamedon Clansmen (sorry Scotland).
    - Stoor Hunters.
    - Pinnath Gelin cavalry.
    - Osgiliath Pikemen.

Modifications to prexisting units:
    Osgiliath Pikemen have been replaced (due to similarity of Fountain Guard) with Osgiliath Warhammers.

Osgiliath Veterans UI has been replaced to reflect later tier armour upgrades.
    Minas Ithil Guardians (and other Minas Ithil related units) UI has been replaced to reflect new, later tier armour upgrades.
    e.g.

New Units:

Gondor Shieldbearers
    Aim: Line/chokepoint holders that can be spread thinly on an open field.
    These late tier infantry units are explained in the name, they bear heavy shields. They mirror the recruitment pools of the Citadel Guard, have a low charge, slighty lowered attack, and a major defence boost from the shield. Personally, these fit with the theme that Gondor is perpetually on the defence from Mordor.

Mindolluin Bladesmen

Aim: Heavy shock infantry to exploit units pinned down by standard infantry.
    Late tier Fountain Guardsmen, but with heavy two-handed swords. Haven Guard, but Gondorian. Restricted to Minas Tirith.

Osgiliath Warhammers

Aim: Heavy anti-armour infantry aimed to punch through the centre of an opponents line and begin mopping up the enemy from behind.
    I felt the Osgiliath Guards are one of the best looking untis in the game, but their inferiority compared to the Fountain Guard always niggled at me. They've been equipped with AP warhammers, replaing the anti-armour role that was lost by the removal of the Lamedon Clansmen. Restricted to E/W Osgiliath.

Minas Ithil Steelbowmen

Aim: To give Gondor some late-game heavy archers like the good-old days of Númenór, without stealing the thunder of the Northern Dúnedain roster.
    Minas Ithil Guardians, with heavy two-handed swords (to differentiate then from the Minas Ithil Spearmen) and steelbows. Very late game units that increases the importance of Minas Ithil. Restricted to Minas Ithil.

Knights of Osgiliath
    Aim: To give Gondor a single unit of very rare high-powered cavalry.
    I'm expecting this unit to get the most criticism, as Gondor already has access to the Swan Knights from the Fiefdom Barracks. But Gondor lacks high-tier cavalry, especially with the removal of the Pinnath Gelin cavalry, and I'd like Osgiliath to have increased relevance as a late-game recruitment base. Weakened Arthedain Knights with the Osgiliath Guard models, that are aimed to be trainable once every 40 turns. Restricted to E/W Osgiliath.
    NOTE: Above unit has not been added correctly in the EDB file, therefore cannot be recruited on the campaign map until I release the v1.1 patch for the mod. They are not much to look at, and likely will not make the final cut .

Minas Ithil Rangers

Aim: To give Gondor some (currently OP) very late game, very rare archer cavalry, that can lead a sally into Mordor whilst holding Minas Ithil to distract Mordor and plunder their settlements.
    Mounted Minas Ithil Steelbowmen.

New characters:

Thorondir, who has a new custom strat model based solely off the arnor_general and arnor_captain models. My personal favourite addition. Spawns near Minas Morgul.
    Branion, a Northern Dúnedain general who starts near Lond Daer with Dúnedain Rangers.
    Aravir and Arnadil, Captains of the Fountain Guard and White Tower Wardens, who spawn in the Anorien forts.

Ancillary additions:

- Ancillaries based of the fiefdom ancillaries for the Lordships of:
    Angrenost, Umbar, Minas Ithil, and Warden of Mordor for Morannon. Are acquired by remaining in the settlement for 8 turns.
    - Ancillaries similair to the roles of a council of a kingdom, such as:
    Seneschal, Chancellor, Justicar, Chamberlain. Start equipped to various characters.

MANUAL INSTALLATION: Extract and insert the data folder into your Third_Age_3 folder.

File Link to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Gf...ew?usp=sharing

Known issues:
    - Poor quality image UI for some added units (alas, my computer is such a potato you could boil it, mash it, stick it in a stew).
    - Minas Ithil Steelbowmen arrows do not align with model when firing (I lack the skill to fix this).

Future Expansions:
    - (TBM Units) Rangers of Mordor
    Very short range bow skirmisher assassin-unit who wield medieval 'sword breakers', giving them a high defence skill to compensate for low armour protection. Small, elite unit restricted to Morannon, Cirith Ungol, Barad-dur, Durthang.

- Restoration of Isengard/Minas Ithil/ other corrupted Númenórean settlements that 'cleanses' them of Morgoth's evil and adds minor boosts to recruitment and populations, to signifiy that these settlemnts have been restored to their former glory.

- To make strategy in Mordor more intersting, what if the whole of the Black Lands had the effect of a forest; whereby enemies cannot see your armies, and you cannot see theirs on the campaign map. Would make it a terrifying place to campaign in. And is likely undoable/unrealistic.

Credits:
    - DaC team.
    - Original TATW team.

Criticism is welcome!

Additions/Bugs/Changelog for v1.1:
    - Thorondir trait text adjusted.
    - Added in correct ancillary UI for Anardil and Aravir.
    - Moved Branion's starting location to the Gap of the White Mountains for gameplay reasons.
    - Increased recruitment time and costs for Minas Ithil Guardians, Minas Ithil Steelbowmen and Minas Ithil Rangers.
    - Minas Ithil Steelbowmen and Minas Ithil Rangers now have 25 missle ammunitions, rather than 32.
    - Removed AP from Minas Ithil Steelbowmen and Minas Ithil Rangers.
    - Minas Ithil Guardian UI has been adjusted.
    - Gondor Fountain Heavy Swordsmen actually added to EDB file.
    - Removed Knights of Osgiliath for unit slot and redundance when compared to Knights of the Silver Swan and Minas Ithil Rangers.
    - Made text entries for Minas Ithil Guardians/Steelbowmen/Rangers more uniform.

Gondor Restored v1.1 Released! 23.06.19
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gn...bvJob7Itq2rWxw
    Last edited by T.W. Stanforth; June 23, 2019 at 07:37 AM. Reason: v1.1 Release

Default Re: GONDOR RESTORED v1.0- Submod for DaC v3.0

Ahhhh, I've been excited about this since I saw your first post. Downloading now! Thanks for your hard work.

Also, it might be beneficial for you to upload some screencaps of the units in action to help show them off.

Can't edit posts but I just realised you posted an imgur link at the top of the page that'll teach me to be an over-zealous reply-er!

love the look of those shieldbearers. I will plan on trying it out!

FYI your images don't show up because you didn't direct link to them
    ie: https://imgur.com/Rqi83si should be https://i.imgur.com/Rqi83si.jpg

@worldwide, I'm glad you're excited about it! . Will do so now, apologies for being a technical dinosaur sometimes!
    @mountainblade (love the username pun btw) and wicked! I'm most happy with the Shieldbearer's UI, mainly because it's homogenous with the rest of the roster. Will change my images rn, thank you for educating me!

not sure how much time i will have to play in the near future, but a few things (that you are probably already aware of) i noticed:

Minas Ithil Rangers and Steelbows are missing their unit info cards. Tower of the Moon building has recruitment info for each unit listed twice at 2 different culture requirements. There is an unfinished building called info_Edhellond. Minas Ithil Steelbows unupgraded unit hold their bows funny

Biggest takeaway I would have is Minas Ithil Rangers probably are too strong for a turn 1 general unit. 1st battle I fought they got just under 700 kills lol.

But just looking through the roster list in the buildings, I think you are already pretty close to hitting your mark on what you want the mod to be, because Gondor's late game elite heavy army looks soooo fun to play. They all fantastic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainblade View Post
    Minas Ithil Rangers and Steelbows are missing their unit info cards
    Ach, i'm guessing those are the base cards for Dol Amroth/ND and the larger image cards for the drop down menu. Will add it to the to-do list now, thank you for telling me about it!

Tower of the Moon building has recruitment info for each unit listed twice at 2 different culture requirements
    and
    unfinished building called info_Edhellond
    That was the original plan; to have them recruit at different stages depending on how much 'culture' had been restored to Minas Ithil. The building 'info_edhellond' was an accidental inclusion of the start of a new Minas Ithil building which I just finished yesterday. 4 buildings in the train, fresh UI for each, MI units now tied to them, representing the cleansing of the tower of sorcery. TBR with v1.1.

Minas Ithil Steelbows unupgraded unit hold their bows funny
    I'll have a look at the .mesh!

Biggest takeaway I would have is Minas Ithil Rangers probably are too strong for a turn 1 general unit. 1st battle I fought they got just under 700 kills lol.
    XD Ikr! I've nerfed them in v1.1 taking away their ap and reducing their ammo, meaning they have to get involved in combat sooner. They still rack up a high kill count, but are far more vulnerable in combat than expected (which to me is a good thing).

They all fantastic as well.
    Truly; thank you. I was very worried the units would be a mess. It makes me feel at ease to hear that

The Mindolluin Swordsmen are not recruitable in the campaign.

@iuly21, thank you for informing me! Version 1.1 is nearly ready to release, finished play testing it to avoid the rushed release of V.1.0 . Only wishing to add the Angrenost Restored building lines and Angrenost Crossbowmen unit and it'll be finsihed !I also need to message Naras and request if I can use one of his PIP portraits for Thorondir.

Log for Gondor Restored Version 1.1:
    - Moved Branion's starting location to the Gap of the White Mountains.
    - Increased recruitment time and costs for Minas Ithil Guardians, Minas Ithil Steelbowmen and Minas Ithil Rangers.
    - Minas Ithil Steelbowmen and Minas Ithil Rangers now have 25 missle ammunitions, rather than 32.
    - Mindolluin Bladesmen (Gondor Fountain Heavy Swordsmen) actually added to EDB file.
    - Removed Knights of Osgiliath for unit slot.
    - Added Fiefdom Barracks to Minas Tirith, Minas Ithil, East Osgiliath, West Osgiliath, Isengard/Angrenost.
    - Added ability for the Dark Lord to target Minas Ithil, East Osgiliath, West Osgiliath, Isengard/Angrenost with an invasion (crusade).
    - Added 'Gondor Restored' shortcut icon.
    - Placed Knights of Osgiliath back into game in the meantime whilst I create future units.
    - Added a fort in East Osgiliath region.
    - Changed legionary name for all factions for Morgul_Vale province to 'Minas Ithil'.

- Minas Ithil Restored Building:
    - Minas Ithil/Tower of the Moon building story. The Tower of the Moon has to be rebuilt/restored in 4 'stages' granting greater boons the higher the level you increase it to. The final stage of restoration can only occur after the barracks event.
    - Minas Ithil Restored building lines created. EDB and EB.
    - Minas Ithil building lines tied to UI, exluding; 1. Initial Corrupted Construction 2. UI text for building line in-game drop down menu.
    - Recruitment for Minas Ithil Guardians/Steelbowmen/Rangers tacked onto this building tree instead of from original Tower of the Moon building. Units plentiful in the late game, but almost impossible to acquire in the early game due to their almost uber status.

Quote Originally Posted by T.W. Stanforth View Post
    @iuly21, thank you for informing me! Version 1.1 is nearly ready to release, finished play testing it to avoid the rushed release of V.1.0 . Only wishing to add the Angrenost Restored building lines and Angrenost Crossbowmen unit and it'll be finsihed !I also need to message Naras and request if I can use one of his PIP portraits for Thorondir.

Log for Gondor Restored Version 1.1:
    - Moved Branion's starting location to the Gap of the White Mountains.
    - Mindolluin Bladesmen (Gondor Fountain Heavy Swordsmen) actually added to EDB file.
    - Removed Knights of Osgiliath for unit slot.
    - Added Fiefdom Barracks to Minas Tirith, Minas Ithil, East Osgiliath, West Osgiliath, Isengard/Angrenost.
    - Added ability for the Dark Lord to target Minas Ithil, East Osgiliath, West Osgiliath, Isengard/Angrenost with an invasion (crusade).
    - Added 'Gondor Restored' shortcut icon.
    - Placed Knights of Osgiliath back into game in the meantime whilst I create future units.
    - Added a fort in East Osgiliath region.
    - Changed legionary name for all factions for Morgul_Vale province to 'Minas Ithil'.

- Minas Ithil Restored Building:
    - Minas Ithil/Tower of the Moon building story. The Tower of the Moon has to be rebuilt/restored in 4 'stages' granting greater boons the higher the level you increase it to. The final stage of restoration can only occur after the barracks event.
    - Minas Ithil Restored building lines created. EDB and EB.
    - Minas Ithil building lines tied to UI, exluding; 1. Initial Corrupted Construction 2. UI text for building line in-game drop down menu.
    - Recruitment for Minas Ithil Guardians/Steelbowmen/Rangers tacked onto this building tree instead of from original Tower of the Moon building. Units plentiful in the late game, but almost impossible to acquire in the early game due to their almost uber status.
    Great to hear!Looking forward to see your work!

These look GREAT and I can't wait to see them in action.

GONDOR RESTORED v1.1 RELEASE: It's (finally) here! v1.1 is available from the link below, whilst the changelog is detailed above! I have not yet finalised an Angrenost building line or unit, and will do so in a v1.2 patch release later this year.
    I've also unfortunately been unable to get in contact with Naras regarding using one of his portraits for the Thorondir character, though was reluctant to change it as I think his portrait is too perfect. Therefore, I've modified the portrait (by reversing it and adding a grey beard) and kept it in-game; if and when Naras is around on TWC again, I will happily remove it if I permission is denied. Tldr, the portrait is entirely to his credit.

Enjoy rebuildng Minas Ithil!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gn...bvJob7Itq2rWxw

Thank you for your mod!
    It's sad to say that your mo is not working.
    When I start the game, I fall immediately back to the Desktop.

I installed Third Age and DAC again, and than your mod. But it's still the same problem.

Hope you can figure out what's wrong.

it's defenetly a problem with v1.1., v1.0 works.

same problel

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by schoder View Post
    Thank you for your mod!
    It's sad to say that your mo is not working.
    When I start the game, I fall immediately back to the Desktop.

I installed Third Age and DAC again, and than your mod. But it's still the same problem.

Hope you can figure out what's wrong.
    I have this problem too!

Ah drat! Sorry about this everybody . Unfortunately I'm away from home until next Monday, but will fix it as soon as I get home. Guessing it does not even leace a crash log?

It looks like using your 1.1 file breaks something in the files. I have no idea what but an attempt to launch the game after your 1.1 update leads to a ctd. But reading the previous comments this seems to be an old problem. Have you found a fix for it yet?

@LodBlackblade Its a very old bug that was fixed recently by others more skilled than me on another TWC forum . The last glitch I'm having is tying the building UI to the construction menu in game, but as soon as thats done I'll be releasing it with (hopefull) a few wee changes. I'm hoping to change the strat banner icon to a variation of the Tree, add in another character etc.
    With these changes, I'll release it as 1.2!

Quote Originally Posted by T.W. Stanforth View Post
    @LodBlackblade Its a very old bug that was fixed recently by others more skilled than me on another TWC forum . The last glitch I'm having is tying the building UI to the construction menu in game, but as soon as thats done I'll be releasing it with (hopefull) a few wee changes. I'm hoping to change the strat banner icon to a variation of the Tree, add in another character etc.
    With these changes, I'll release it as 1.2!

Awesome! I'll play the 1.0 version until then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast