Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: In the Light of Dusk - Chapter Eighteen Updated 25/06/2016

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Default In the Light of Dusk - Chapter Eighteen Updated 25/06/2016

Hello, it's been quite a while, has it not? Many new tales have been sung and told, the Creative Writing and AAR sections both flourish with new and eager writers each day.

So, welcome. To my newest AAR In the Light of Dusk

I play as the Oda, I tell the story of Oda Nobunaga (albeit, not a historically accurate one.) I will take you through his trials, his victories and defeats.

I will tell you his story, to the best of my ability.

Character List
    Character List – POV Characters and Supporting Characters

Note: These are the POV characters and supporting characters TO DATE, and will be updated when needed

Character List

Oda Nobunaga(POV): Arrogant, ferocious, meticulous and brilliant. The Daimyo of the Oda after his father’s death, he will quickly find that the responsibilities he faces as Daimyo of the Oda are numerous and the foes arrayed against him are even more so. Nobunaga is arrogant and his actions are more dictated by his emotions than by well-thought out plans, which can lead to precarious decisions and dire consequences.

Story of Oda Nobunaga to Present - Contains Spoilers
    After taking charge of the Oda and their domains, his reign become tumultuous as the Saito from Mino Province invade and he is forced to mount a defense, but is wounded by an assassin while preparing for their army, and it is his uncle who meets them upon the field, and rallies the Oda soldiers to victory against the Saito. However, the situation becomes dire quickly when the Imagawa invade Owari in a night attack and his men are slaughtered and Nobunaga is forced to flee, suffering from a wound to his stomach his health is swiftly failing.

Thrown from his homeland, responsible for the death of his people and the fall of his clan, Nobunaga is despondent and wrought with grief, and swears utter vengeance upon the Imagawa, though with no allies, less than four hundred soldiers and a brother whom is more of a liability to him than an asset, he is beset with obstacles.

When his party flees to Mino province, he is smuggled inside of the city of Mino so that a healer may do what he can for him, the man makes certain that Nobunaga will not die, but it is all he can do to keep Nobunaga alive, and after it is done he recommends that he stays put for more than a month. However, Nobunaga is anxious to flee the lands of his enemies, and the party continue on until they reach the city of Kai, going through Kiso lands.

When he reaches the province of the Tiger of Kai, he is brought before Takeda Shingen by his brother Nobushige, an honourable man who takes the word of his clan as utter law and upholds every oath he makes. Nobunaga’s anger gets the better of him, and he boasts death and destruction to the Imagawa with having no means to achieve his words. Takeda Shingen shows mercy on him and adopts Nobunaga and Nobuyuki as his sons, so that they are protected from the Imagawa should they learn of their survival.

Nobunaga watches from afar as the Takeda army falls upon the Uesugi army, and he watches as the brutality of the Takeda match their skill in battle, he sees the consequence of war and what it does to people. He has no wish to turn into a blood-lusting fool, not realising that is already what he has become.
    After the battle, he is given command of the Takeda left flank in the Battle of Hida. During the battle of Hida the Anegakoji clan use their cavalry to smash into Nobushige’s lines from behind, and Nobunaga decides to endanger himself and his retainers, ordering Ieyasu to lead the Takeda soldiers in the plan. His men fight valiantly and desperately against the Anegakoji, and they manage to drive them off and save Nobushige.

After their counterattack failed, the Anegakoji are decimated in their castle and Nobushige is immensely grateful to Nobunaga, despite having disobeyed him. He pledges to Nobunaga that he will grant him the soldiers that he needs, and will forever be in his debt.

With the promise of soldiers to retake his home, Nobunaga is overjoyed. But as he speaks to Ieyasu and Himichiro he is met with a disagreement between he and Himichiro, who suggests that Nobunaga kneels to the Imagawa. He claims that they do not have the men to win, that victory against them would be impossible. This fallout lasts weeks without Himichiro or Nobunaga united in their efforts. Both desire the same goal, but one is willing to make it a reality.

When they return to Kai, Nobunaga strikes a deal with the Takeda, granting them the Kiso lands once they have been conquered, and in return the Takeda supply him with four thousand soldiers to retake his homeland, as well as the province of Mino, which has also been conquered by the Imagawa.

Nobunaga moves against the Kiso, their armies are evenly matched, and so a parley between the two is called, and their Daimyo, Yoshiyasu, betrays Nobunaga and tries to kill him. His soldiers are surrounded and being butchered. It is only with the intervention of Ieyasu and Himichiro that Nobunaga and Nobuyuki are saved from being slaughtered.

Nobunaga beheads Yoshiyasu for his dishonourable acts, and mercilessly wreaks vengeance upon the Kiso army, killing them to a man, making certain not one of them escapes. He employs a tactic of using the soldiers armed with yari and his archers to herd the Kiso soldiers to the center lines, before ordering his cavalry to annihilate them from behind.

His plan worked, and the Kiso army was destroyed, obliterated after their own treacherous move failed. After this, Nobunaga moved onto the city of Komoro, the capital of the Kiso lands, with the intent of subjecting them to fire and word – and thus betray the oath he made to the Takeda. But, deterred by the sight of simple people, innocent people who had not fought against him, and whom he had stolen thousands of their loved ones from them, he was merciful, and kept his oath.

With hopes of grandeur and home, the Takeda army set out once more, this time for Mino, Nobunaga opted for speed in this manoeuvre, and so marched far ahead and swiftly with the cavalry body of his army, his intent was to attack the castle and take the Imagawa garrison unawares.

His plan worked, and his men butchered the Imagawa soldiers while they slept in the barracks. He executed the Imagawa ruler of Mino, Torihisa, who is the late brother of Teshima, Imagawa Yoshimoto’s Captain-of-Guard.
    With Mino in his grasp, he opted to allow them to have their freedom, to be ruled by whoever they choose. His benevolence earned him support, and around four hundred Saito soldiers joined the ranks of the Takeda army, his first men who he had earned and won himself.

He has banners of the Oda made, and the Takeda force marches beneath his banner, much to their discontent. But his force rushes to Owari and his home province, to be met at the crumbling walls of Owari with a force of resistance lead by his uncle, Nobuyasu.

Nobunaga offers a duel to his uncle, to allow the Heavens to dictate who has the right to lead Owari. The two duel, but Nobunaga is a lesser warrior than his uncle, and he loses his sword arm in the duel, as his uncle is about to kill him, he is struck through the throat with an arrow shot by Hideyoshi, who made his decision on which Daimyo he would serve.

Once more in command of Owari and the Oda, Nobunaga submits himself to the will of the people, in an attempt to sway their opinion of him by humbling himself before them. The people are not easily swayed, and he is attacked by Akechi Mitsuhide, who blames him for the death of his daughter and wife. Nobunaga gives the man his blade, offering him his life in vengeance, in his sincerity to make amends to the Oda people. However, Nobunaga concludes that he is a deserter of his father’s army, that Mitsuhide abandoned his father to die against the Imagawa, and in his range he attacks the man. But he stops the fighting, and realises that Akechi Mitsuhide hesitated to kill him because of his guilt over his daughter and sees it as his punishment for abandoning the army, saving his life at the cost of hers.

With the crowd disgruntled by the violence, cautious, hesitant, and afraid. It is Hideyoshi who rallies them in support of Nobunaga, and so they accept him as their only hope of survival, as their Daimyo and as their leader. After this, Nobunaga invites Hideyoshi to the Tenshu, and has Akechi Mitsuhide brought along also. He grants Hideyoshi the title of Commander of the Ashigaru, but later changes his title to Commander of the Yumi, as he is given command of all units with bows, and is taught tactics concerning them. Nobunaga places Mitsuhide at the command of Hideyoshi, to prove his worth, and he is granted the lowest rank within the army, stripped of his Samurai rank and title.

Nobunaga begins to make his war plans against the Imagawa, and immediately begins to have his soldiers trained and his battle plans prepared. He prepares to attack and annihilate the Imagawa army located at Ieyasu’s home city of Mikawa, five thousand soldiers. The Imagawa soldiers are more numerous, better equipped and far better trained than his army of Oda soldiers, because of this, Nobunaga fears open confrontation with the Imagawa general and his soldiers, he instead opts to ambush them and slaughter them all.

He fears losing the battle, so in an attempt to both protect Nobuyuki and to gain aid, he sends him on a diplomatic mission to the Shogun. Nobunaga believes that whether or not he wins or loses, Nobuyuki will be safe in the Palace of the Shogun, as no one would dare attempt to deny the power of the Ashikaga shoguns.

Nobunaga ambushes the marching Imagawa soldiers, and their commander, Shiraishi, is killed by Ieyasu. The battle goes well for the Oda as Ieyasu ordered his reserves to stem the tide of Imagawa soldiers as Nobunaga’s main force kills the vanguard of the Imagawa, Nobunaga then orders his soldiers into the fray, and pulls his retainers and some hundred soldiers back so that they can hunt down fleeing soldiers so that they cannot regroup at Mikawa and resist the Oda.

The battle was over and won, the Oda had won their first major victory against the Imagawa and had become strengthened in their bonds with each other. The soldiers were elated, and confidence in Nobunaga’s leadership soared.

The Oda army, accompanied by Tokugawa Ieyasu, marched on to Mikawa. They were greeted with death, the Tokugawa inhabitants had slain the Imagawa garrison and had them hanged from the walls of Mikawa. Ieyasu was marched forward, in front of the victorious Oda army, returning home.

......................................................................................................

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In Light of Dusk
    Chapter One

The wind whistled around the courtyard, it was a low, hissing sound; like a katana being pulled from it’s sheath. The hiss of air as the blade slides from its scabbard, a sharp blade, made for killing. Around us the snows fell, heavily, covering the ground in an essence of white bliss. The flowers that bloomed in spring were now concealed by a thicket of snow, the burst of red from the flowers now coloured a gleaming white from the frost.

Our katanas struck, the sound of steel rasping against steel filled the courtyard. The low ring echoing in my ears, it was the only sound I heard, the cold song of steel. My eyes were locked with his blade, it’s every movement, the only thing in my field of view was that blade, and his hands. To forget about either would be my death upon a battlefield.

Himichiro struck at my neck, I rolled under the blow and struck out, my blade swishing across his greaves. I was behind him now, but as I lunged his blade deflected my stroke, even as he was half turned his blade worked against my own. How can one man be so gifted with a sword? It always amazed me at Himichiro’s skill with a blade, his precision and speed. There were thirty Samurai in my personal guard, thirty one counting Himichiro, but I didn’t think I would ever need them. I was quite confident that Himichiro alone could take on an army.

I stepped back, with a sharp twist of my wrist my Katana struck like a viper at Himichiro, his blade caught it with ease and threw me backwards with the momentum. As I pulled my sword back my world slowed around me, the timing must be perfect, I knew. My precision and speed must be unmatched. I aimed for Himichiro’s chest, maneuvering my feet so that as much force as possible would be put in the blow. My breath was a whisper in my ears, my Katana felt light in my hands, such as a feather would weigh. I closed my eyes, and opened them, I lunged with the fury of fire. My blade was aimed for his heart, I couldn’t miss . . .

His blade caught mine, swift as wind his sword struck mine, he maneuvered in such a way as to propel me to the side. He gripped my sword arm and twisted, my sword fell as I flew. I crashed in the snow, a lump of gold and black within the white bed.

Himichiro stood over me. “You are undisciplined, I have failed in much to teach you. But I would have thought you had the intelligence to see that I would be skilled enough to block such a revealing move. You have dishonoured me greatly with your inability to think.” His words cut me deeper than his katana could. Himichiro had trained me from a boy. He was harsh, he was cruel even. But he was like a father to me, and he was loyal. It hurt me to have failed him.

“I am sorry, Sensei.” Himichiro nodded. Then looked at the training dummy and pointed. He nodded to me, signaling for me to rise. “You need to learn discipline. Before you can learn speed, or precision, you must be disciplined. You mastered Sumo, I would have thought you’d be disciplined by now.” He sighed but carried on. “What you tried to do is similar to a strike named Laijutsu, in principal. It is a stroke that takes years to master, most never do. As it takes those with a mountain of patience, discipline and willpower. Those, and mastery of the sword. The concept is quite simple. To unsheathe your blade and turn it into a precise strike, a death strike, aimed at the jugular of the neck or of the guts of the stomach. Each one is a blow that is lethal to those that receive it.” He turned to the dummy, in the blink of an eye his Katana was buried in the guts of the straw dummy. He sheathed his Katana again, and stepped back a small bit. I watched his hands more closely this time, staring intently. His katana moved fluidly, coming from an unsheathed blade into a lethal stab, he struck with all the ferocity of a wolf at the neck of the dummy.

He turned, blade coming free from the dummy’s neck. “That, Nobunaga-san, is discipline. To train for a dozen years for one move, to be able to know your own limits is intelligence. Learn what you can do, and learn what you cannot. Your fights will go easier for you.”

“Nobunaga-sama! Nobunaga-sama! NOBUNAGA-SAMA! The wailing came from a Messenger, the man dropped to his knees before me. “A message, Daimyo.” The word struck me like a blow to the face, I stumbled back. “My father.” I spoke swiftly, the words hissing from my mouth. “Mikawa.” I stopped suddenly, breathing heavily. “What happened, tell me, quickly now.” The messenger hurriedly nodded, he told me the tale of how my father; Oda Nobuhide, had stood valiantly beneath the walls of Mikawa, him and the six thousand soldiers he had at his disposal. He defended against a force of Imagawa, a force of twenty thousand Imagawa, who were enraged at the defeat of their vassal. He told the tale of how my father had set a defensive wall, abandoning the advantage of the high ground and the walls. He decided that he would use the mettle of Oda Ashigaru warriors to win the day, he then preceded to tell me of how my father and his men had been slaughtered by Imagawa soldiers, how he had been butchered beneath the walls of a foreign province.

The sorrow filled me, the rage burned through my veins and the bloodlust and flames of hatred welled inside me. I looked at my hand, my katana was still in my grasp. It would take only a single blow to severe the man’s head from shoulders. It would bring dishonour to Himichiro, it would bring dishonour to you, your father, and your clan.

It was a clean stroke, quick, precise, controlled. Amusing, when control holds me least my strikes are more precise, deadly, and accurate. The man’s head fell at my feet, making a soft thud as it dropped and turned in the snow. His body slumped to the side, blood reddening the white ground around it, soaking the white snow in a dark red.

Himichiro’s gasp brought me back to realism, and with it the realization of what I had done. I turned, Himichiro’s face was near purple with a black rage. His eyes shone with a fury unmatched. “You bring dishonour to me, with very action you take it is another mark of my failure. You bring dishonour to me, yourself, your father. DO you wish to bring more shame upon your father’s name? Fool that he was he was your father, now he is dead, and you are Daimyo. Do not be as idiotic as your father and mayhaps the Oda will survive until the next winter. FOOLISH BOY.”

His rage astonished me, but it was soon matched by my own. “MY FATHER WAS NOT A FOOL!” I bellowed at him, like a small child wailing I shouted at him. My katana struck like fire at him, he deflected my blade and the dance began once more.

“Your father was a fool, Nobunaga. I intended to make you better than he.” My sword clashed against his and I charged forward, striking wherever and whenever I could. Blind rage took hold of my hands, no control, and no precision, simple bloodlust.

Himichiro’s Katana’s hilt smashed against my mouth, throwing me backwards, I tumbled, falling to the ground, katana falling from my grasp. He stood over me, katana at my throat. “You dishonoured me.” His voice was a whispered growl, more menacing than his shouting ever was. “You dishonoured yourself, your name, your clan. You must realise this. No matter what any of them say, your mother, your uncle. The true future of this clan, the Oda, is in your hands. You must be strong for them, for they shall be your strength and they shall be your weakness. If you are strong, they will be also. If you are weak, so shall they be. You will never do something such as this again, never. To dishonour yourself is to dishonour everyone that serves under you.”

I looked at him. “Winter has arrived, Himichiro, remember this. It shall be short, for the snows will soon melt from the heat of the Imagawa. I will kill them, Himichiro that I swear to you.”

Himichiro looked at me and smiled. “You have will, and strength, just no discipline.” He shook his head, “and that may be what ruins us.”

I still lay upon the ground, after Himichiro left I lay there, brooding upon what he had said. If they are my strength, how can I be there’s? This is not some deal, between me and the commoners. I am Daimyo. “My name is Nobunaga, I am Daimyo of the Oda! I AM DAIMYO!”

Last edited by Tigellinus; June 29, 2016 at 04:17 PM.

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Default Re: In the Light of Dusk - Merchant, this is for you.

Forgot to add something very important.

I am doing teh first half of this AAR, up until a point. And then my friend shall do his half, up until that point.

After that point we're doing a chapter each to give the last act of the story

Thanks

Tigellinus

Again, Merchant, I hope you're happy

Chapter Two

I sat, reading of the great generals of Japan, of battles and wars fought. I needed tactics, strategies. I needed a spark of hope, a belief that I could save them, protect them. My people, I must be their strength, and they shall be mine.

The raids had come a week earlier, some of the local farmers had reported a party of Saito soldiers who had attacked them. My uncle had taken a small force to go and chase off the raiders that had given me time to enact the plan. Himichiro was to take three hundred soldiers, we only had so many horses, and was to go into the forests surrounding Owari. When the Saito attacked I would meet them at the walls, along with my six units of Yari Ashigaru, my Bow Ashigaru and Yari Samurai would be in the castle.

Himichiro entered, bowing his head as he did. “Nobunaga-sama.” He had become overly formal since our training practice, where I had killed that poor man. No, I should not dwell on what I cannot change. “Himichiro-sensei. It is good to see you, I shall need your counsel for the coming battle.” Himichiro looked at me, he smiled, it was a soft smile, but it met his eyes. “You have no discipline, yet you have a good mind for warfare. It’ll most likely get us all killed. But, you have a good mind for warfare.” I merely nodded in return, I had become sullen and cold since the news of my father’s death, and it had wounded me more than I would say to anyone or ever show in deeds.

“What I am going to do will break many laws, many ancient traditions. I am overthrowing my uncle, my mother and any other that deems himself higher than me. I can only trust you with this, Himichiro-sensei. You will disagree with me, you will see the faults, the flaws and the repercussions that I cannot see. But I need you to do this. I need you to help me, so that I may help my people. Please, my friend.” Himichiro looked at me, his brow ceased in a frown, he nodded at me. That was all he would give, he nodded and walked away, speaking no other word. And now I must wonder whose side he has taken, mine, or my families?

I looked out at the snow covered houses, the roads paved in white, plebeians playing in the snow. Foolish as they were, oblivious to the danger they were in, they were my people. Mine to protect, mine to rule and lead. Mine.I will do whatever I must to see the Oda live, to see my people as they are today, free.

It was an hour later that I was informed, a servant came rushing to me. “Nobunaga-sama!” he spoke hurriedly, his voice quivering as he did so. “Your mother, has been arrested and confined to a tower cell.” He bowed his head as he scuffled back, feet making no noise upon the wooden floor.

Himichiro found me shortly after, he looked at me gravely. “Your lady mother has few words of kindness towards you, and many of hatred and rage and sorrow. What you have done today is a dismal thing, Nobunaga-sama.” With that he spoke no more as he led to my mother’s tower cell. When we entered I looked around, it was lavishly decorated, and she would lack no comfort, I noticed with due approval.

As the doors opened the two Yari Samurai guarding the cell stepped in the room as well. My mother launched herself at me, obscenities flowing form her mouth in a torrent, and she strode forward, and was met with crossed Yari, blocking her path. She seemed outraged, shocked at the insolence. Even I was surprised that they would treat her poorly. Prisoners were not a common thing, but such formalities were still expected.

She went silent then, blatantly staring at me with cruel, cold eyes, hatred glossed over her black pupils. For a moment I was taken aback, I flinched at the hatred that seethed in her eyes. “Mother.” I spoke softly, formally. “I hope you understand that what I am doing I am doing for the good of our clan.” She continued to stare at me, it was an uncomprehending stare, and it still held hatred within it. Yet she did not seem to realize what I had said. “When my uncle returns I will have him arrested as well. You both would doom this clan if you had your way. You would subjugate us to ridicule and mockery aplenty. You would have us bend our knees to the Imagawa.” I spat, then, losing my composure. “Well I will tell you this, mother! I will have my knees break before they bend to such men, I will break before I surrender my blade to the men that killed my father.” She sat then, a state of enmity washed over me, I couldn’t look at it any more.

“Keep . . . “I stopped for a second, faltering on my own words. “Keep her locked in this cell, see that she is well fed and has everything she needs. But do not allow her to leave, and permit her no visitors. “I turned away, ignoring the guards as they bowed before me.

I strode away, unable to bear the hatred any longer. Am I doing the right thing? Or is I that is dooming the Oda? Is it I that am subjugating my people to a life of torture and anguish and slavery?

I whispered to myself, whether they were words or a simple hiss of my voice I didn’t know, but I strode around the castle whispering. Himichiro followed me, having done as I commanded. I stopped suddenly. “What do I do?” I asked, desperation leaking in my voice, I was pleading with him to give me an answer.

Himichiro looked at me, his gaze was that of steel and rock, unflinching. “I cannot tell you what to do. I do not know. But think on this, Nobunaga-sama you may well save us from the Saito, but will you doom us to the Imagawa?” My gaze met his, I considered his words with care, for many moments silence enveloped the air. “Himichiro-sensei.” My voice was loud this time, whether it held authority I do not know, but it was fierce, even to my own ears. “I will do whatever it takes to save my clan. With Katana, Yari and Yumi I will defend our lands. From the Imagawa, Saito, all of them. With every soldier with the Oda colours that falls, I will take two of our foes.”

Himichiro nodded, and a smile touched his lips. “You are brazen, you are foolish and you are arrogant. Such ways will destroy the Oda, it will get you and I and your clan buried beneath a pile of foes. Know what you must do, know when to fight and when to flee.” I looked at him, and nodded, my eyes cast down.

“My friend, whether this is a time to flee or fight, run or strike, live or die. I will fight. It may not be the best cause, nor the wisest. But it is the one I have taken, the one I have chosen. The question is, shall you walk it with me?”

Himichiro’s voice was soft. “On my honour, Nobunaga-sama. I fight for you.”

A servant rushed in, hurriedly, falling to his knees before me. “NOBUNAGA-SAMA, The Saito, the scouts bring word that an army of theirs is not a day’s march north. “

I looked at Himichiro, my eyes blazing like fire. “Ready the men, lock down the city. Send some men to find my uncle and bring him back. Himichiro-sensei, we must save my clan.”

As I strode through the castle, speaking to different men and Samurai, all who had a part to play. I heard the distant howling of wolves from the forests. Their howl echoed within my ears. The Wolves smell easy pickings, easy prey. Tomorrow they shall feast, on Oda or Saito they shall feast.

The Eagle has landed! Two excellent chapters, I think you have already created an epic character in Nobunaga. If I believe correctly he was historically said to be a bit on the angry side.

The locking up of his uncle and mother had a touch of Game of thrones in it and I do like it. I just finished the first book and I love it. The lannisters will burn in hell!(No spoilers though cause I just started the second book)

And who is this friend you are working with? I shall call him Mr Mysterious. If he is half the writer you are(and you say he is better!) than this AAR will be one to rival Robin's Takeda (You might want to watch out for him, being the only real completed AARtist can kinda get to you)

Good luck with this as the Oda you will need. These two chapters were anything but a disappointment and I loved every bit. Except this bit.

Winter had arrived, Himichiro
    This ain't winter, summer child. The real has yet come. Yet winter is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    The Eagle has landed! Two excellent chapters, I think you have already created an epic character in Nobunaga. If I believe correctly he was historically said to be a bit on the angry side.

The locking up of his uncle and mother had a touch of Game of thrones in it and I do like it. I just finished the first book and I love it. The lannisters will burn in hell!(No spoilers though cause I just started the second book)

And who is this friend you are working with? I shall call him Mr Mysterious. If he is half the writer you are(and you say he is better!) than this AAR will be one to rival Robin's Takeda (You might want to watch out for him, being the only real completed AARtist can kinda get to you)

Good luck with this as the Oda you will need. These two chapters were anything but a disappointment and I loved every bit. Except this bit.

This ain't winter, summer child. The real has yet come. Yet winter is coming!

HAhahha, thank you for your kind words

Ha, he is double the writer of me! Rival Robin's AAR, that is something I can only dream of doing!

Yes, Winter is Coming.

And snows always melt.

Thanks

Tigellinus

EDIT: Do read them all trying to persuade my family members to read them, hahaha. They're brilliant books!

EDIT (again: Historically Nobunaga threw his father's ashes down upon the ground, in what we would all call today a tantrum, or a fit of sorrow and rage. This caused his mentor/sensei to commit Seppuku, as Nobunaga had disgraced his family and clan and such.
    Last edited by Tigellinus; January 27, 2014 at 06:47 AM.

Ahem, what is this then...

Good luck with the AAR - you're off to a great start. I loved the opening chapter and Himichiro. Nobunaga as a child was quite the handful so you might be on to something there.

The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post
    Ahem, what is this then...

Good luck with the AAR - you're off to a great start. I loved the opening chapter and Himichiro. Nobunaga as a child was quite the handful so you might be on to something there.

Thank you for your support Robin!

Your comments are always appreciated!

I intend to write two more chapters tonight, edit them tomorrow and post them over the next few days (I'm going to try and get in about four chapters before school starts, just to make up for the fact that I won't have too much time!)

Robin and Merchant of Venice, thanks for the rep and support!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Now, this is late. I know. Sorry about that.

I hope the quality is satisfactory!

Thanks

................................................................................................................................

Chapter Three

I stood upon the walls, two of my retainers stood beside me, I watched with a grim smile upon my face as the guards confronted with my uncle. I saw his face torn between confusion and utter rage as the men surrounded him, Yari pointed directly at him. I knew that was my cue, this was my moment, where the truth would be spoken.

I walked down from the walls, down the stone steps and onto the dirt roads of the city. As my uncle laid eyes upon me his eyes blazed with the fires of hatred. “Uncle, I want to apologies for greeting you in such a fashion. Know that I do what I must to save our clan. Not destroy it. You abandoned my father, you abandoned the clan. You do not know how much I despise you for that, for what you have done and for what you have caused. My father is dead, because of you. An army of Imagawa march towards us not a month away, an army of Saito is expected to siege us tomorrow. Men will die, on both sides. But I will see us victorious, I will see the Oda live on.” My uncle stared at me, like my mother had before him. Was it so difficult to imagine that I would do this? Or was it so unjust in their eyes that they could not comprehend? I gazed back at him, for once my eyes were truly cold. “Once the Saito are defeated, once their threat is dealt with, I will start training soldiers to defend Owari against the Imagawa. But, you will not be alive to see me win against the Imagawa. After the Saito are defeated you will be given a Tanto, and I will allow you the honour of Seppuku.”

My uncle spoke then. “Fool of a boy, you’ll doom this clan. I will not sit idly by while you allow Owari to burn, and our people along with it.” He went for his sword, but my men drew theirs first. I felt a rush of power then, knowing that my next words would determine the fates of these men. “Uncle, I am giving you a single chance. Sheathe your sword, I am not so murderous as to butcher you and these men out in the street. The men that ride with you, they will aid me in the defense of Owari. I need them.” My uncle still held the katana in his hand, his eyes daring me to lift a sword against him. I shook my head at his ignorance. “You are surrounded, uncle, must I kill all these men, simply so I may arrest you and have you killed tomorrow?” His eyes gave nothing away, but the fact that his sword was sheathed showed that he held my words true. Would I have actually done it? Would I have been capable of killing soldiers that had fought for my clan? The innocents that had done nothing wrong? “Where is Himichiro? Where is your dog of a Sensei? If he were alive he would never have allowed such a thing. He was a good man. What did you do with him, Nobunaga?”

I nearly stepped back at the question. “He is alive and well, Uncle, I would never harm Himichiro. He is a critical point in the plan that will save Owari, save the Oda.” That was all I would say, that was all I could say.

My uncle laughed as he dismounted from his horse, as he stepped forward he was met with a Yari pointed at his chest, his eyes looked upon the blade and then met the Samurai’s eyes. The ma did not deter, however, and the Yari stayed directed at his chest. “I find that difficult to believe that, foolish boy. If you would kill your own kin, then there is no telling who you would harm.”

I didn't want to be there any more, I didn't want to indulge him any more.What I do, I do for the clan. No matter how much displeasure it causes me, what I do is necessary for the survival of the Oda. Inside I shook, I trembled with the rage at myself for what I am doing, sentencing my own uncle to death. On the outside my figure and face spoke of serenity and calmness.

“Will you fight with me?” My voice boomed across the street, it was not directed at my uncle, but at his soldiers, the men that followed him. The men looked at me, but they had not drawn their swords when he had, and that was a good sign. “You will not be harmed if you do not wish to fight, the only question is if you will fight for me? To protect Owari, to protect our home. Will you help me? Will you help me avenge my father, protect my homeland and my people? Will you fight with me?” Some of the men dismounted at that, they drew their sword and laid them upon the ground, kneeling within the dirt. “And the rest of you? Will you fight? Will you battle and die for Owari? For the Oda? They are your people as much as mine. WILL YOU FIGHT FOR THEM? WILL YOU FIGHT FOR THEIR FREEDOM? FOR THE CHILDREN THAT WALK THESE STREETS? FOR THE MOTHERS THAT CRADLE THEIR BABES? FOR THE FATHERS THAT HAVE FOUGHT BEFORE? WILL YOU FIGHT?”

The rest dismounted, my uncle looked bewildered, his eyes still blazed with hatred and rage, but he held himself higher than before. “See my uncle to his old chambers, station two men outside of his chambers. “ My men moved swiftly, disarming my uncle and grabbing him by the arms. I nodded in satisfaction at my soldiers. They were good men, true men. Good men fall like all the rest, many of them will be dead by the end of tomorrow. I turned away from the scene and left, allowing my soldiers to sort the rest out. I could not deal with the steeled stares from my uncle’s soldiers, they would fight. But none one of them would be fighting for me, they would be fighting for a greater cause, they would be fighting for their people, for Owari. And who is Himichiro fighting for? He preaches that he fights for me, but he doesn't approve of what I am doing. Why? I am fighting for my clan, for the Oda.

I walked the halls of the castle, still followed by my two retainers, they were like shadows now; passing through the light in a blur of steps. Torches flickered upon the wooden walls, glowing with an intensity that hurt the eyes. If I cannot save my people, nobody can. If I fall, so do the Oda. I will not allow my people to be enslaved. I will not allow for them to work the fields of those bastards, The Imagawa.

Darkness swallowed us as we turned down the hallway, not an ebb of embers shone from the torches. As we strode through the darkness I could feel my guard’s tension, the fear that gripped them by the throat. No man should be afraid of the darkness, for in darkness lies death, and in death lies peace. I closed my eyes, stopping still within the darkened hall. My head hurt, a roar of thunder within my skull, a blaze of iced fire that flowed through my veins.

“Nobunaga-sama, are you alright?” the retainer stepped forward, eyes cast down, yet his voice held intensity to them. “Hush, I must think. Leave me.” The retainer looked around, incredulous to my demand. “My lord! Here? Wouldn't you rather rest in your chambers . . .?” I turned, the only motion I made was a wave of my hand, signalling them to leave me. They bowed and turned to go, I turned back, feeling my way through the darkness.

I heard the soft sound of clothed feet. I heard the soft rasp of a dagger being drawn from it’s sheathe. I turned as the man leapt at me, my right arm rose to protect my head and the dagger cut through my skin and cloth as if it was silk. I fell backwards, onto the wall. The man continued his attack, his dagger came at me in a flurry of sweeping attacks, cutting across my stomach and stabbing deep into my thighs. I cried out in pain as I felt the steel bury deep within my stomach. My hands moved to grab at the Tanto, to try and wrench it free from my side. My attacker was swift in denying me my wishes, the Tanto dug deeper, down to the hilt, my back arched as the pain swathed through my veins like fire. My hands clenched to fists, beating against the wall, in anger, in sorrow, in agony.

The man’s grip held me against the wall, the pain paralysing me to do anything other than scream and scream. And so death swallows us all. In the light of my shadow my death lunges for me. In the glory of my sins I do fall. My voice cut off as the blade swished from my stomach, in one fluid movement the man had cut through my skin and opened my stomach further.

The agony overcame my screams, to be given way by short gasps that came. Sticky and warm my blood washed over my hands in torrents. I felt the man’s breath against my neck as I slid towards the ground, his breath was slow; he was calm in my demise.

My vision blackened, and his breaths became fainter, quieter as my hearing lessened and my life drained away. I heard the clashing of swords, the bellows of men, and the curses of the battling and the pleas of the dying. The Saito had arrived, too soon. Bellows came from the hallway, faint in my ears, but bellows they were. It took the last of my strength to move my eyes to see six of my retainers charging, Katanas at full draw, hatred etched upon their faces. My attacker drew away, trying to run, his feet slipped upon my blood, he arose swiftly, but as he stood before me my men reached him.

There was no mercy in the attacks, the first retainer cut through the man’s arm as if it was silk, he then opened the man’s stomach, cutting through half of it before his Katana came up for the final blow. “Oda! Oda! Oda!” the man bellowed as he stabbed through the man’s chest.

As my men reached me they gripped me, preparing to carry me, one of them sobbed as he picked me up, certain of my death. I felt terror grip me, I did not want to die. In death lies, peace. Why am I so afraid?
    Last edited by Tigellinus; March 06, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Default Re: In the Light of Dusk - Chapter Three Updated 3/1/2014

I hope you guys have enjoyed the chapter!

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

That was quite a chapter. Very good writing. You can feel the emotion in every scene. Just one thing there are a couple of words here and there that are missing letters for example:

"Fool of a boy, you’ll doom this can."

I think you meant "clan." Just go back through and make those corrections and this update will be perfect. + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    That was quite a chapter. Very good writing. You can feel the emotion in every scene. Just one thing there are a couple of words here and there that are missing letters for example:

"Fool of a boy, you’ll doom this can."

I think you meant "clan." Just go back through and make those corrections and this update will be perfect. + rep
    Thank you SK! For both pointing out my mistakes and your support!

I have done a quick run through Chapter 3, the mistakes should be fixed now!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Mon cher ami, Tigellinus, je suis désolé. (excuse my poor french I'm taking French at school and so every now and then i might resort back to trying French!)

I feel bad for being away for so long, its just rl was rather hectic and Im only just getting back into the swing of it. Great work with the last chapter, loved the dialogue and the thoughts that go on inside of the protagonists. And what a cliffhanger! I now demand more. (Ill rep you when i can )

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Mon cher ami, Tigellinus, je suis désolé. (excuse my poor french I'm taking French at school and so every now and then i might resort back to trying French!)

I feel bad for being away for so long, its just rl was rather hectic and Im only just getting back into the swing of it. Great work with the last chapter, loved the dialogue and the thoughts that go on inside of the protagonists. And what a cliffhanger! I now demand more. (Ill rep you when i can )
    ha, I took French once, languages never really held my interest.

My apologies for my constant nagging

Thank you for the praise! I shall get more out very shortly!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Well, everyone. the Shogun 2 AAR section has died.

I believe it is time life returned, time for the AAR section to breathe, once more.

You can expect my next chapter very soon.

You can also expect my friend's chapter, who is making an account as I type, to be along shortl before or after, whichever you would have it.

Merchant, I hope you enjoy these few chapters, my friend truly is a glorious writer.

Thanks
    Tigellinus

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

S'bout bloody time...I demand further writing. Or I shall come to your house and play the bagpipes in your ear - a fate truly worse than death.

Ha, The bagpipes, NO D:

Trust me, your demand shall be fulfilled, ten fold.

I hope you enjoy, my good friend!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Hallo! I am Reronicus, "Mr Mysterious," Tigellinus' friend and co-author of this (I would certainly hope) brilliant AAR.
    Sorry for taking so long, I've been slacking off a lot. Thankfully, I am here now. I've taken a bit of a different approach to the AAR, since I'm far more accustomed to third person than first person.
    I now know that first person is certainly not part of my skillset.

So, enjoy. I hope you all like it.

In Light of Dusk - Shimazu Chapter 1

“Would you enjoy some tea, Ito-san?” He asked, a devilish smile smeared across his face. If there was one way to describe Takahisa, Daimyo of the Shimazu clan, it was, plain and simply, demonic. He wielded his blade with the fury of Bishamonten, twisting his swings into a cold and bitter dance. Those who shared his space were quickly drowned in a flurry of steel and blood. He was feared for his skill on the battlefield, and rightly so. Even without a blade, however, he carried with him a terrible air. In the place of his katana, Takahisa wielded a tongue sharper than flint. Though he lacked the knowledge of courtly trivialities and was certainly at a disadvantage when it came to tact, he made up for it with an aura of complete and utter winter. When with friends, Takahisa drank enough sake to double that of any other man. When with foes, Takahisa seemed just as ready to run his enemies through as he was to leave. This did not earn him many friends, but it earned him all that he needed. He made sure to always have the upper hand in a conversation, never slouching nor yawning. He was fixated on the speaker, like a tiger preparing to pounce upon its prey.
    And Yoshisuke, Daimyo of the Ito clan, was a most delicious elk.
    Yoshisuke tried his best to feign respect at the gesture, which would’ve been nice if he was any good at it, and declined with a simple wave of his hand. Takahisa grinned to hide his disappointment, cocking his head slightly while keeping his eyes on Yoshisuke. The ninja hanging from the roof quickly sealed the vial of poison before it dropped into the tea.

“You know,” Yoshisuke began, clearing his throat nervously, “I believe we could both profit from a mutual alliance.”
    Takahisa had to bite his tongue to hold back the laughter.
    “With the great smiths of your lands and the…” he paused awkwardly “the great merchants of mine, we could thrive together. All of Shikoku could be ours, Takahisa!”
    “-sama.” Takahisa quickly said.
    “What?” Yoshisuke responded, startled by the Shimazu daimyo’s sudden interruption.
    “Sama. I am above the petty names of peasants, Ito-san, I believe you can find it in yourself to deign me with such a thing, don’t you?”
    “I-”
    “I’m quite a vain person, Yoshisuke,” he said, purposefully leaving out any honourific, “and I don’t think it’d be too out of place for me to say that our friendship does balance on this.” Takahisa did his best to smile. He personally thought that he did quite well.
    The Ito lord paused, suddenly intimidated by Takahisa’s controlled burst of aggression.
    “Well… okay, Takahisa-sama. Is there anything else you wish to add before we begin our great and prosperous alliance?” Yoshisuke fondly asked, gulping deeply.
    “Well, my good friend Yoshisuke-san,” he said in a dominatingly mocking tone, “there are many things a Shimazu daimyo wants, nay, is entitled to. If you find troubles in adding sama to the end of my name, then you will find this next part very difficult to comprehend.” He leaned in, slowly getting closer and closer until they were practically breathing from the same portion of air.
    “Let’s list this down, shall we? We have-” he looked at Yoshisuke’s hand expectantly. Yoshisuke could not hide his confusion any longer, and abandoned his formal face to a more childish, odd look. “Your brush, Yoshisuke-san. Why is it not in your hand? I expect you to write this down.”
    “Ah, yes, of course. My apologies.” Yoshisuke grabbed his brush and dipped it in the inkwell, preparing to write on his scroll. He looked up, ready to begin.
    “As I was saying, we, the Shimazu of Satsuma province, have many things. We have the greatest blacksmiths, and henceforth the best equipment, in all of Shikoku. We trade with the second,” he put extra emphasis on the word second, “strongest daimyo on this island. We have connections with the nanban, the Chinese, the Koreans, even the Annamese warlords. We field a large army of well-equipped ashigaru and samurai, plus we can boast that we have the most loyal generals in all of Japan. Are you writing all this down?” He waved his finger around the scroll. He could see that Yoshisuke was writing it all down very easily. This was no formal letter, this was public humiliation. Yoshisuke, daimyo of the Ito clan, forced to write down everything that made the Shimazu clan better than him.
    “Yes, Takahisa-sama.” Yoshisuke bit his lip, hiding the frustration.
    “Good. Now I want you to write everything that makes your clan special.”
    Yoshisuke dipped his brush in the ink once more, prepared to aggressively defend his name and family.

And yet, as he held that calligraphy brush with such fervour, he still could not think of a single thing to write.

A blanket of silence settled over the room. One of the servant girls giggled, which lead to her being escorted out. Takahisa began to openly laugh. It started as a simple chuckle, developing into hysterics. He leaned back, smiling like a child in a candy store. He made sure to bear his fangs slightly.
    Then he stood up, coughing slightly. He sighed deeply, looking at Yoshisuke with what, after first, seemed like the friendliest smile anyone could ever afford another.
    Then it collapsed, like ash to a hammer, into a grimace darker than night, more heartless than the wildest winters. He stepped up to Yoshisuke, who was still staring at the scroll with his brush in hand. He knelt beside him, whispering into his ear.
    “To think that I’d accept your offer, my good friend Yoshisuke, is absurd. Your drinks bore me, your servants offend me, and your very existence is little more than a jest.” He leaned in further, his lips closer than a lover to his ear, “On the morrow, when the dew has freshly cleared and the ice has begun to melt, I shall march my forces to your gates. There, we will breach your walls. There, we will kill every man inside your ramshackle fort, every woman will be taken and shared evenly with each of my men, and all the children will be made to watch as each and every one of their homes are burnt before their very eyes. And then we’ll break down your doors, storm your castle, and drag you out to the masses. You will be the man who failed his people and you will die before you get the chance to regain your honour.” He blew into Yoshisuke’s ear before standing up, brushing off the miniscule specks of dirt from his tabi before turning for the door. He opened the slide, twisting for a moment and joyfully saying “Have a nice night, Yoshisuke-san.”
    The ninja dropped from the roof with a purposefully loud thud, following his patron out.

Yoshisuke sat there, brush in hand, shaking. His wife stood in the corner of the room, agape and with wide eyes.
    “If ever there was an oni that stole the body of a man, Takahisa of the Shimazu clan was its victim.”
    Yoshisuke muttered to himself.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: In the Light of Dusk - Chapter Three Updated 5/1/2014

Yay! Activity in the Shogun AAR section! And we meet your collaborative partner Tigellinus! Welcome Reronicis!

I liked the update very much. Your writing was good and the scene between the two diamyos was excellent. Both of you have some rep.

(Ill rep you later Tigellinus seems I past too much out )
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Thank you, SK! You do indeed meet him, I told you he was a better writer than myself

Thanks for the rep, when I get it

Thank you for your support, also, SK!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Okay, folks! My own chapter is done, just revising it so that I don't have any hastily typed misspelt words!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast