Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alfred The Great Trailer

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Alfred The Great Trailer

Yeah the game looks quite bad. A bit more polished version of Charlemagne DLC, and the Seax handles look weird as well. But itll probably be full price.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I really hope the Welsh will be playable. I want to reconquer the isles for the Britons and drive out the Germanic invaders, both Saxon and Norse.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    I really hope the Welsh will be playable. I want to reconquer the isles for the Britons and drive out the Germanic invaders, both Saxon and Norse.
    I would be shocked if the Welsh aren't playable. CA mentioned in one of its blogposts that Romano-British culture continued to survive in Wales during the Anglo-Saxon period...can anyone elaborate a bit on that?
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    I would be shocked if the Welsh aren't playable. CA mentioned in one of its blogposts that Romano-British culture continued to survive in Wales during the Anglo-Saxon period...can anyone elaborate a bit on that?
    I think this just refers to the fact that Wales is the only region of former Roman Britannia that hasn't fallen to Germanics yet, 'cause on Wikipedia it's said:

"Caerwent and three small urban sites, along with Carmarthen and Roman Monmouth, are the only "urbanised" Roman sites in Wales.[80] (...)while there are Latin-derived words with legal meaning in popular usage such as pobl ("people"), the technical words and concepts used in describing Welsh law in the Middle Ages are native Welsh, and not of Roman origin.[82] There is ongoing debate as to the extent of a lasting Roman influence being applicable to the early Middle Ages in Wales, and while the conclusions about Welsh history are important, Wendy Davies has questioned the relevance of the debates themselves by noting that whatever Roman provincial administration might have survived in places, it eventually became a new system appropriate to the time and place, and not a "hangover of archaic practices".[83]

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

I can't get excited about this. The problem for me is that it's been done before so many times it isn't fresh. We already had Medieval Total War Viking Invasion in 2003, which was a great game focusing on this period and setting.

Then we got more in the Medieval 2 TW Kingdoms expansion in 2007 which features a Britannia campaign complete with invading Vikings.

Then in Rome 2 there was the Viking forefathers DLC, which basically allowed you to invade Europe with the Vikings.

And finally in Attila not only were there Vikings in the grand campaign, but behold! More Vikings in the Charlemagne expansion.

So when CA announces YET ANOTHER Vikings game, I'm not as excited as I might have been if the year was currently 2003. While it may be a good game and I'm glad they chose a historical setting at least, it's very unimaginative as a choice. Why not release a game focusing on some other time and place, that hasn't already been done to death? I understand marketing and name recognition but it's just so limiting. The original great games like Shogun or Age of Empires introduced me to times and places I knew nothing about. That's half the fun of a total war game. We don't need more Vikings! I'd much rather have seen a game about the Iberian peninsula in the period 1000 to 1492, or the Hittites and Egyptians, or the various Persian empires of history. A real missed opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Viking forefathers was Attila, not Rome 2. I mean I agree but Vikings haven't actually been anything more than a side-piece since 2003. The kingdoms Britannia campaign featured Norway but only in the post-Viking era. Why not include M2 grand campaign because it's got Denmark and is actually closer to the actual Viking era.

Viking Forefathers is a dlc and easily ignorable while Charlemagne is all about Charlemagne (what a surprise), Vikings just happened to be around then.

Still, I'd love to see Renaissance period and the rise of Persia.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

I mean Id like a late 9th or 10th century TW (though it would have to be heavily modded first probably) but with an Eurasian Map instead of just Britain again, which is the focus of so many games and most which get into this time period.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

I agree, the worst thing about Charlemagne map was that north Africa and Greece weren't included.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

SinisterOmen's Avatar Libertus

I liked the announcement, but this trailer is a bit of a let down. I'm so tired of seeing the same combat animations from Rome 2 over and over again, it's just not funny anymore. And the chainmail and scale armor showed seems to be recycled from Attila, I'm not fond of recycling either, especially because the models are a bit aged by now.
    As of now, the only exciting thing for me about the game is the new campaign map.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

The armour and all unit models have apparently all been redone for ToB. Can't say the same about buildings or animations though.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12