Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Thousands peacefully protest for Constitutional gun rights in Virginia, legacy media screeches, WV offers to annex pro-2A counties

Default Thousands peacefully protest for Constitutional gun rights in Virginia, legacy media screeches, WV offers to annex pro-2A counties

So as we all know, the newly-elected government of Virginia attempted to pass laws against individual firearms ownership, immediately triggering massive protest movement against infringement on gun rights.
    Multiple counties declared themselves as 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries (which constitute pretty much all of Virginia except for one over-populated pocket of Democrat supporters) and law enforcement officials vowed to refuse to enforce the illiberal draconian legislature, which in response caused the newly-elected General Secretary governor to threaten his population with National Guard and use of brute military force and even declared a state of emergency. Very democratic and liberal of him.
    What was even more interesting, West Virginia openly suggesting to annex Virginia's pro-2A counties - which would pretty much constitute all of Virginia, except the above-mentioned pocket of gun control supporters.
    As per its usual tradition, legacy media endlessly screeched about gun-rights activists all being violent Nazis and domestic terrorists who would undoubtedly commit massive acts of terror. And as usual, legacy media has been proven wrong by reality.
    Today a massive demonstration was held in Virginia, thousands of gun owners and gun rights activists showed up openly carrying their firearms, people of all backgrounds and political beliefs showed up to defend their Constitutional Rights. Of course, nobody was harmed in any way.
    Clearly, if there is one thing that can unite a rather divided American society it is the desire to own and bear firearms.

So a few points for further discussion:
    - Should over-populated urban centers really have power to legislate over less densely-populated areas? There is an obvious disparity in political beliefs and values, and mob rule by urbanite population is a very destabilizing factor.
    - The reason why Democrats were elected in Virginia was because of influx of population from other blue states. Essentially what is happening is Democrat voters escape results of Democrat policies in blue states - only to vote for these policies in red states they just moved to. What changes need to be implemented to prevent that? If someone from a blue state moves to a red state, should his vote count for the previous state at least for the next one or two election cycles (and visa versa)?
    - Should media be held at least morally responsible for openly defaming gun-rights activists?

Default Re: Thousands peacefully protest for Constitutional gun rights in Virginia, legacy media screeches, WV offers to annex pro-2A counties

So you want to abolish democracy and free speech?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Default Re: Thousands peacefully protest for Constitutional gun rights in Virginia, legacy media screeches, WV offers to annex pro-2A counties

Oh man your ideas are ridiculous and blatantly unconstitutional. A new voter in a new state shouldn't have their vote re-directed to their previous state. It makes no sense. Who'd the vote go to in the previous state? It just sounds so dumb.

Virginia elected the Democrats into power who advocated for gun control. They knew what they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Oh man your ideas are ridiculous and blatantly unconstitutional.
    Kinda like anti-gun laws...
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Any "anti-gun" law? I think the Supreme Court disagrees.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Oh man your ideas are ridiculous and blatantly unconstitutional. A new voter in a new state shouldn't have their vote re-directed to their previous state. It makes no sense. Who'd the vote go to in the previous state? It just sounds so dumb.
    I presume the party they'd vote for. Democrat voters moving en masse to Republican states only to vote in Democrat governments that would create same problem that caused them to leave the original state to begin with is a huge problem and is objectively a threat to democracy.
    Virginia elected the Democrats into power who advocated for gun control. They knew what they wanted.
    Urban population did. Again, dictatorship of urbanites is also a threat to democracy.
    Except that anti-gun laws are far worse. It is essentially class warfare, for rich (who can afford to live in guarded gated communities or even armed security detail), who scoff at the idea that someone may need a firearm to defend himself.
    Gun control in itself is relic and legacy of Jim Crow laws, ironically Democrats supported both, until they realized that they could sell minorities welfare in exchange for votes.
    Last edited by Heathen Hammer; January 21, 2020 at 07:11 PM.

What dictatorship of the urbanites? Do they get two votes each or something?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

The Conservative majority in Heller v. DC disagrees. Even Scalia believed in gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    I presume the party they'd vote for.
    What if its a third party not running in their previous state? And you do realize that candidates all have different ideas right? Why should their vote go to a candidate they didn't want to win?

Democrat voters moving en masse to Republican states only to vote in Democrat governments that would create same problem that caused them to leave the original state to begin with is a huge problem and is objectively a threat to democracy.
    No thats democracy in action. People have the right to move to a new state and vote in elections there that effect them. Not an election in another state they moved from. A Republican who moves from California to my state and has his vote counted for California instead is completely undemocratic and again blatantly unconstitutional.

Except that anti-gun laws are far worse. It is essentially class warfare, for rich (who can afford to live in guarded gated communities or even armed security detail), who scoff at the idea that someone may need a firearm to defend himself.
    Gun control in itself is relic and legacy of Jim Crow laws, ironically Democrats supported both, until they realized that they could sell minorities welfare in exchange for votes.
    Jim Crow was deemed unconstitutional and took rights away from people unlike gun control where its only regulated and you are still very able to buy a weapon. The Conservatives on the Supreme Court agree with me.
    Last edited by Vanoi; January 23, 2020 at 01:49 PM.

Praeses

Ranting idiots aside, its a shame the peaceful majority of protesters have to be smeared by a small number threatening violence. A few psychos can throw a whole movement off the rails.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Northam's emergency declaration, however, bans all weapons around the state Capitol grounds through Tuesday, and a special rules committee in the General Assembly banned guns inside the Capitol and a legislative office building.
    The horror. Banning firearms around government buildings. And why?

Fearing violence similar to that of the deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville in 2017, Northam banned all weapons near the state Capitol under the emergency order, which the Virginia Supreme Court upheld after a legal challenge.

At least six suspected members of a violent neo-Nazi group were arrested late last week; three of them reportedly planned to attend the rally. Three men in Maryland face various federal firearm and alien-harboring charges and three in Georgia face conspiracy to commit murder and gang charges.

However, no major incidents were reported at the rally itself, which was conducted under heavy security. The hour-long demonstration concluded a little after noon with only one arrest.
    Totally unreasonable. Authoritarian! End of Democracy! What next? Will they demand licensing for simply driving out cars???? Just step one of a Big Brother nanny state!!!

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The Virginia Senate passed yet another gun-safety measure on Wednesday when lawmakers voted 21-19 along party lines to advance the “red-flag” gun law.

The legislation, if approved by the House and signed by the governor, would permit authorities to temporarily take firearms from owners believed to be dangerous or who could pose a threat to themselves or others.
    *Gasp*

How can Trump stand by and just watch while they blatantly tear the guns out of our arms because we threatened to storm the Richmond Capitol building with our AR-15s???

Three bills passed the state Senate on Thursday: A limit to one handgun purchase per month, a requirement for universal background checks on gun sales and a rule allowing localities to ban guns in some public areas.
    It is the end of United States of America. I'm sorry my brothers. We have failed Jefferson, Washington, and Taylor Swift's legs. The Republic has fallen. Not even stormed by the barbarians like Constantinople, but from within. Defeated by traitors and short-sighted men.

^The same argument you will hear at every stage of the incrementalism.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    ^The same argument you will hear at every stage of the incrementalism.
    As opposed to a slippery slope argument.

So, do people in cities get more than one vote each?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    As opposed to a slippery slope argument.
    The fallacy of the slippery slope. Only a fool would assume that progressive activists have limiting principles.

The fallacy of the slippery slope. Only a fool would assume that progressive activists have limiting principles.
    Thank you for your wonderful opinion. I have decided, we should oppose universal background checks for gun purchases because that might lead to Johnny Stalin putting us all in a Kholhoz.

it. Let's abolish the ATF in its entirety.

False dichotomy. The government should have the ability to incarcerate people, but it can do so for the wrong reason, hence the criticism. Especially when such actions are done with malice and adopted as de-facto policy.
    What has that got to do with your hypocrisy in mocking 2A advocates for predicting the eventual emergence of a tyrannical govt. whilst at the same time insisting that Trump is currently leading a tyrannical govt.?

Nobody cares.
    I'm sure the rest of the board can speak for themselves. You were already corrected by someone other than me. Personally I think you should be more grateful for the free education you're getting; at least now you won't embarrass yourself by conflating extermination and concentration camps in real life.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 24, 2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Continuity.

What agenda?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

What has that got to do with your hypocrisy in mocking 2A advocates for predicting the eventual emergence of a tyrannical govt. whilst at the same time insisting that Trump is currently leading a tyrannical govt.?
    That's your own fabrication. I'm mocking 2A advocates because they are opposing basic public safety measures for the sake of a belief that the 2nd amendment will stop a tyrant. The rest of it was simply off-topic nonsense brought up by you, not me.

I'm sure the rest of the board can speak for themselves. You were already corrected by someone other than me. Personally I think you should be more grateful for the free education you're getting; at least now you won't embarrass yourself by conflating extermination and concentration camps in real life.
    The rest of the board, and you, can think whatever they want, that doesn't make the label "concentration camp" is inaccurate.

Arguing for further citizen disarmament at a moment when, according to you, a malicious, tyrannical administration is throwing people into concentration camps (so sayeth "numerous historians") seems remarkably suspicious. It's almost as if you're promoting some sort of agenda.
    I always promoted an agenda, and you're free to make your accusations explicit, they don't offend me. On the other hand, the existence of a malicious and tyrannical administration has nothing to do with the right to bear arms. The 2nd amendment isn't going to stop a tyrannical government from emerging, but it has allowed for massive proliferation of arms that have endangered public safety, on more than one occasion.

I'm also not sure why you're bringing up concentration camps, yet again. I'm aware that the terminology and semantics hurts your sensibilities. Yet it doesn't address the topic at hand.

As a comedic tidbit,
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 24, 2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Continuity.

That's your own fabrication. I'm mocking 2A advocates because they are opposing basic public safety measures for the sake of a belief that the 2nd amendment will stop a tyrant. The rest of it was simply off-topic nonsense brought up by you, not me.
    No, they're opposing the incrementalism of shrieking progressive zealots who pray at the alter of Scandinavianism and, like your pal Beto, believe in the whole scale confiscation of arms.

The rest of the board, and you, can think whatever they want, that doesn't make the label "concentration camp" is inaccurate.
    The label is inaccurate, but that's not the point. The point is that since you don't even know the difference between a concentration camp and an extermination camp, you are in no position to lecture others on the subject.

I always promoted an agenda
    That's why, as I mentioned, I don't believe that you, or people like you, have any limiting principles - especially not when you muse over the abolition of democracy and side with Islamist justifications for the killing of US troops.

On the other hand, the existence of a malicious and tyrannical administration has nothing to do with the right to bear arms. The 2nd amendment isn't going to stop a tyrannical government from emerging, but it has allowed for massive proliferation of arms that have endangered public safety, on more than one occasion. I'm also not sure why you're bringing up concentration camps, yet again. I'm aware that the terminology and semantics hurts your sensibilities. Yet it doesn't address the topic at hand.
    The purpose of the 2A is to ensure the security of a free State. If you believe that the prospective "existence of a tyrannical administration has nothing to do with the right to bear arms" then you're merely proving my point that people have a reason to be suspicious of your motives.

No, they're opposing the incrementalism of shrieking progressive zealots who pray at the alter of Scandinavianism and, like your pal Beto, believe in the whole scale confiscation of arms.
    They're not opposing confiscation of arms because nobody is actually confiscating their arms en masse or wrote a bill to do so. They're opposing the laws listed, which they probably didn't even glance at.

The label is inaccurate, but that's not the point. The point is that since you don't even know the difference between a concentration camp and an extermination camp, you are in no position to lecture others on the subject.
    You didn't demonstrate this, and I don't know where you're getting this from. I'm well aware about the differences between an extermination camp and a concentration camp. I'm not an authority to lecture anybody on the subject because I'm not an expert on the subject matter. Yet many people who are, find the term perfectly admissible.

That's why, as I mentioned, I don't believe that you, or people like you, have any limiting principles - especially not when you muse over the abolition of democracy and side with Islamist justifications for the killing of US troops.
    I'm not asking anybody to believe me. I'm merely pointing out that these people and people like you will oppose common sense measures because you'd cut off your nose to spite the face. This is why you're engaging in a slipper slope argument, because you'd rather do that than argue against the bill on its own merit.

Nice bait, I've never sided with Islamists. Nice try. Again, demonstrating the absurd mentality of "not with us then against us".

The purpose of the 2A is to ensure the security of a free State. If you believe that the prospective "existence of a tyrannical administration has nothing to do with the right to bear arms" then you're merely proving my point that people have a reason to be suspicious of your motives.
    The stated purpose of the 2A can be whatever it wants. It has never stopped a tyrannical state, nor is it necessary to do so. Stripping the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with my contempt for certain aspects of democracy and everything to do with basic public safety. Though you can keep parroting whatever justification you want. It doesn't make any difference in the end, you're on the side of people who are opposing basic background checks.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast