Page 91 of 127 FirstFirst ... 416681828384858687888990919293949596979899100101116 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 2522

Thread: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Default Re: Fans suggestion thread for future releases

Thanks for the response. Regarding units (sorry for nitpicking or if I'm being annoying), is there any chance of the Seleucids having access to pseudo-ethnic tarentine cav (or mysian cav for the ptolemies). Also, I was wondering if the seleucids could have access to late companion cavalry (https://imgur.com/a/N77MFDd something like the top right), considering the agema was the general's "bodyguard".
    Regarding the romanization, it is the description of the Seleucid army at the Beth-Zacharia battle where infantrymen are described as equipped in bronze helmets and mail, and divided into 32 tactical units around the 32 elephants (but I guess Magnesia was similar) and his mention of each soldier occupying six feet (similar to the Roman soldier).
    Also, congratulations on the mod. It's the best one I've ever played in a total war game.
    Wish you guys all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    For a submod set in the late Republic you could easily divide things among warring factions, like a slugging match of Sulla versus his enemies and Mithridates the Great of Pontus, or Caesar versus Pompey, or the Second Triumvirate versus the Liberatores, or Octavian versus Mark Antony & Cleopatra VII Philopator.
    Imperium Romanum is a mod based on De Bello Mundi that has quite a few Roman civil war scenarios and while not entirely my cup of tea (I'm bad at it,) shows that it can be done within the context of a larger empire.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Imperium Romanum is a mod based on De Bello Mundi that has quite a few Roman civil war scenarios and while not entirely my cup of tea (I'm bad at it,) shows that it can be done within the context of a larger empire.
    Cool! That's good to know. I've played De Bello Mundi (DBM) before, but while I found it fun, I didn't like how undeveloped the settlements looked compared to what we have now in EBII with fully fleshed out towns and cities for each culture (they might have fixed this since the last time I played years ago, though). While DBM has very cool looking Roman units and legionaries, I don't think the same amount of love was poured into other factions, cultures, and civilizations in the game. EBII certainly has a lot of better looking units, at least for non-Roman ones. Even the Greeks in DBM look kinda bland in my taste, but they at least have some late-period Hellenistic chain mail like EBII's Thorakitai units.

Does Imperium Romanum add a whole bunch of new unit designs? Or does it simply rely on regular unit designs from DBM? Does it also rely on the battle mechanics of DBM? I ask that because EBII has way better battle mechanics; you feel like you're fighting tooth and nail to survive in real battles at times against an incredibly vicious and cunning AI, especially on VH mode (I usually play campaigns on regular hard mode, LOL). DBM was fun and it's a decent mod, but it's nowhere near as challenging as EBII in that regard. I would be very interested to know about that. Thanks!

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You've just answered your own question. It's questionable whether there really were "Romanised" units, or if this was just Romanocentric ancient writers assuming what they saw was the result of Roman influence.
    Development of Thorakitai Epilektoi was stopped by the Team?

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Development of Thorakitai Epilektoi was stopped by the Team?
    Nothing has been stopped, they just haven't been finished yet.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; April 26, 2019 at 06:48 AM.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Nothing has been stopped, they just haven't been finished yet.
    Thanks for reply

It's a barebones set of changes, and in only a few scenarios are there non-Roman factions available. And DBM does suffer, like most Roman era mods, from excessive Romanophilia which causes other cultures to suffer.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    It's a barebones set of changes, and in only a few scenarios are there non-Roman factions available. And DBM does suffer, like most Roman era mods, from excessive Romanophilia which causes other cultures to suffer.
    Thanks for clarifying! I might check it out, but overall I'm going to stick with EBII until I see something better, which most likely isn't going to happen.

Could I make a suggestion? The Roman faction can recruit Cisalpine cavalry in northern Italy, which is cool, but they should also be able to recruit Cisalpine swordsmen, one of the best looking units in the entire game. I can recruit Noric swordsmen from Noricum, so why not Cisalpine swordsmen from Cisalpine Gaul (northern Italy & southeastern France)?

PLEASE, KHALEESI!

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Thanks for clarifying! I might check it out, but overall I'm going to stick with EBII until I see something better, which most likely isn't going to happen.

Could I make a suggestion? The Roman faction can recruit Cisalpine cavalry in northern Italy, which is cool, but they should also be able to recruit Cisalpine swordsmen, one of the best looking units in the entire game. I can recruit Noric swordsmen from Noricum, so why not Cisalpine swordsmen from Cisalpine Gaul (northern Italy & southeastern France)?

PLEASE, KHALEESI!
    I've already answered that elsewhere:

Something I fixed a few weeks ago, when integrating the Rhaetic Infantry (civlib pool):

Code:
    ;;; ALPINE CELTIC
    recruit_pool "celtic cavalry cisalpine"  2  0.01  2  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource eastcelt and not event_counter ecCelticRiders 1 and not event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1
    recruit_pool "celtic cavalry boii elite"  1  0.01  1  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource eastcelt and event_counter ecCelticRiders 1 or event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1
    recruit_pool "celtic cavalry cisalpine"  1  0.01  1  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource eastcelt and event_counter ecCelticRiders 1 or event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1
    recruit_pool "celtic infantry cisalpine swordsman"  1  0.01  1  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource liburnes ; Felsina
    recruit_pool "celtic infantry rhaetic"  1  0.01  1  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource eastcelt and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource royal_core ; Medilanon
    recruit_pool "celtic infantry uextias"  1  0.01  1  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource eastcelt
    recruit_pool "celtic infantry spearman"  2  0.01  2  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource eastcelt
    recruit_pool "celtic infantry levy"  2  0.01  2  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource eastcelt
    recruit_pool "celtic infantry skirmisher"  2  0.01  2  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource eastcelt and not event_counter ecCelticRiders 1 and not event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1
    recruit_pool "celtic infantry skirmisher"  1  0.01  1  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource eastcelt and event_counter ecCelticRiders 1 or event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1
    recruit_pool "celtic infantry slinger"  1  0.01  1  0  requires factions { f_rome, } and hidden_resource celtic and hidden_resource gallic and hidden_resource eastcelt and event_counter ecCelticRiders 1 or event_counter ecCelticTwilight 1

i would love to see some factions have times where if certain family members develop rebelious traits and low loyalty and then if the faction leader has low authority and influence it could mean areas where the usurping family members rule and their armies would rebel into somekind of seperate faction within a new rebel faction and that to restore order it would mean a bloody civil war.

and for any new potential faction i hope that if it is the belgae that they instead just turn the pritanoi into the belgae and save a slot

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Evans View Post
    i would love to see some factions have times where if certain family members develop rebelious traits and low loyalty and then if the faction leader has low authority and influence it could mean areas where the usurping family members rule and their armies would rebel into somekind of seperate faction within a new rebel faction and that to restore order it would mean a bloody civil war.
    I don't think it's possible to have a separate rebel faction. However, I do think that rebelions of the FMs should be an important part of the game - imo in history it was the main driving force of the events and the major limit on the rulers to expand. This part of the game is seriously underdevelopped in the EBII, imo (compared, eg, to the SSHIP).

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Evans View Post
    and for any new potential faction i hope that if it is the belgae that they instead just turn the pritanoi into the belgae and save a slot
    I think Pritanoi are so well-developed that it would be a waste of a huge material and interesting mechanisms. Pritanoi should be given some mechanics of challenge to make them interesting from the gameplay perspective (for the moment they're too easy) and fix some inconsistencies (like flagged here, no answer received).

Hello,

I have a suggestion about the aedui faction, and maybe for the other celtic factions.

I'm reading for the third time a very interesting book about gaulish institutions : La politique des gaulois - Vie politique et institutions en Gaule chevelue (IIe siècle avant notre ère - 70), by Emmanuel Arbabe.

In this book, the author makes an analyse of the politics institutions of several gaulish tribes with the caesarian informations and some others sources.

For the aedui, he says that they had 4 major offices :
    - Uergobretos : annual civil office (Strabon and BG, I, 16,5 et VII, 32, 3)
    - Duce : military leader of the aedui
    Eporédorix in ca 62 BC : BG, VII, 67, 7
    Annual office : Strabon. Géographie, IV, 4, 3
    - Preafectus equitum : cavalry commander
    Cotos : 52 BC : BG, VII, 67, 7
    Probably an annual office appointed by the senate of the aedui
    - Pedestribus copiis praefuerat (preafectus pedestris) : infantry commander
    Cavarillos : 52 BC : BG, VII, 67, 7

To implement this office system in game, I suggest to add three ancillary (one per office except for the Uergobretos) like the successor ancillary to the faction leader that can give it to anybody he want. But those ancillaries could have effect only if the FM that received it has some caracteristics (for example being Kingetos for the praefectus equitum and pedestris, and Epas for the Duce).

I don't know what could be the gaulish names of those offices. The names duce and praefectus are roman words used by Caesar.

It could be for the aruernoi, only the praefectus offices because the rix is the civil and military leader, like in the case of Bituitos in 121 BC.

For the boioi, we could add a system like the galatian institutions, with a judge, a military leader and two sub military leaders (Strabon, Geography XII, 5, 1).

Those offices systems could be an interesting add to the gallic factions and the boioi. What do you think about this idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I think Pritanoi are so well-developed that it would be a waste of a huge material and interesting mechanisms. Pritanoi should be given some mechanics of challenge to make them interesting from the gameplay perspective (for the moment they're too easy) and fix some inconsistencies (like flagged here, no answer received).
    agreed. at this stage it is too late to do anything about it, so much work's been put into them. i still cant help but feel that provinces there can use a merger (thus transferring province/s to the more central and busier areas of the map).

btw, is SSHIP still being developed or supported? i remember playing it years ago. it was quite enjoyable.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    i still cant help but feel that provinces there can use a merger (thus transferring province/s to the more central and busier areas of the map).

btw, is SSHIP still being developed or supported? i remember playing it years ago. it was quite enjoyable.
    Pritanoi - yes, I also think Britain should have fewer provinces but you cannot change the map now. What should be changed is their profitability - it's really a gold mine for the player (even with low population number - but you can develop them very quickly), and it's uncontested.

SSHIP - you may read a review I've written last year (link in the sig). I think it's still the best mod for the Middle Ages (especially with my submods ;-). it's still being developed somehow.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by torf View Post
    Hello,

I have a suggestion about the aedui faction, and maybe for the other celtic factions.

I'm reading for the third time a very interesting book about gaulish institutions : La politique des gaulois - Vie politique et institutions en Gaule chevelue (IIe siècle avant notre ère - 70), by Emmanuel Arbabe.

In this book, the author makes an analyse of the politics institutions of several gaulish tribes with the caesarian informations and some others sources.

For the aedui, he says that they had 4 major offices :
    - Uergobretos : annual civil office (Strabon and BG, I, 16,5 et VII, 32, 3)
    - Duce : military leader of the aedui
    Eporédorix in ca 62 BC : BG, VII, 67, 7
    Annual office : Strabon. Géographie, IV, 4, 3
    - Preafectus equitum : cavalry commander
    Cotos : 52 BC : BG, VII, 67, 7
    - Pedestribus copiis praefuerat (preafectus pedestris) : infantry commander
    Cavarillos : 52 BC : BG, VII, 67, 7

To implement this office system in game, I suggest to add three ancillary (one per office except for the Uergobretos) like the successor ancillary to the faction leader that can give it to anybody he want. But those ancillaries could have effect only if the FM that received it has some caracteristics (for example being Kingetos for the praefectus equitum and pedestris, and Epas for the Duce).

I don't know what could be the gaulish names of those offices. The names duce and praefectus are roman words used by Caesar.

It could be for the aruernoi, only the praefectus offices because the rix is the civil and military leader, like in the case of Bituitos in 121 BC.

For the boioi, we could add a system like the galatian institutions, with a judge, a military leader and two sub military leaders (Strabon, Geography XII, 5, 1).

Those offices systems could be an interesting add to the gallic factions and the boioi. What do you think about this idea ?
    Nice suggestion. This is one of the books I want to read, this is indeed a very interesting subject.

Since you are here suggesting something and that you have the book, what is the main differences the author highlights with the Arverni? Because the vergobret is a term we can found in other places (even archeological finds with writings) and Caesar suggests the same institution among others tribes like the Santons, the Lemovices and the Bituriges. Moreover the father of Vercingetorix, Celtillos, is accused of trying to restore royalty or having the full supremacy (depending of the translation). Caesar implies a similarity with the situation of Vercingetorix, which receives the title of Rex after succeeding. So, it means that the view of an arverni tradition for the royalty not that much unbreakable. Is there something similar to a dual leadership for the Arverni ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    [7,4] Simili ratione ibi Vercingetorix, Celtilli filius, Aruernus, summae potentiae adulescens, cuius pater principatum Galliae totius obtinuerat et ob eam causam, quod regnum appetebat, ab ciuitate erat interfectus, conuocatis suis clientibus facile incendit. Traduction: "Là, dans le même but, un jeune Arverne très puissant, Vercingétorix, fils de Celtillos, qui avait tenu le premier rang dans la Gaule, et que sa cité avait fait mourir parce qu'il visait à la royauté, assemble ses clients et les échauffe sans peine."
    How the author see the difference between Duce and Princeps? Because Sedullos from the Lemovices is both. Does he confirms the view that the former is the military and the later the civilian aspect of supreme magistracy? Personally I have trouble with this since Eporedorix and C. Valerius Domnotaurus both receive the "principatus".
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

The Arverni appears mainly two times in the second part of his book (La variété institutionnelle des peuples puis des cités de Gaule).

In the section "Les formes de royautés" : to explain that the end of arverni monarchy and the creation of an oligarchy were obligations imposed by Rome.

In the section "Les régimes avec des pouvoirs civils et militaires uniques" : where he speak of the oligarchy :
    - 15 coins with differents names (except Vercingétorix coins) before caesarian campaign : for the author that means short terms offices
    - the name Epadnactos appears on coins of the period of the caesarian campaign and after. Before 52 BC bronze coins with his name seems to means that he has a military office because he was on the face where there is a horse. The other side of the coins have the mention : CICIIDVOBRI, that the author suggest to translate as CICED(?) V(erc)OBRI(tos). For the author there was two main offices in the arverni oligarchy : a civil one and a military one.

So yes, the arverni monarchy was not so unbreakable, but it's since the defeat of Bituitos.

The monarchy in Gaul were less numerous as the time proceed. When Caesar arrived in Gaul, the politics system of several states was changing. The Sequanoi were an oligarchy, but the father of their leader was king.

For the vergobret title, the main part of other occurences are (except for the Aedui) after the caesarian campaign. And for the Arverni ones, it's possible that Rome suggested to the defeated arverni to adopt in 121 the politic system of their eduan allies.

For the author, in the duce is the military leader, and the princeps, the civil one. But for some states there is only one office with both civil and military powers.

For the authors there is several types of oligarchic systems :
    - with an only magistrat that have both civil and military powers (like for the Remes)
    - with two magistrats : a civil one and a military one (like for the aedui)
    - with two colleges of magistrats : a civil one and a military one (like for the Bellovaques and the Nerviens) the author suggest in this case that each pagus appoint a civil magistrat and military magistrat (like the galates).
    Last edited by torf; May 05, 2019 at 09:06 AM.

If you need something else about this book, you can ask me. Now, I'm not in France, but I have sometime access to internet and I check every two or three days the forum.

Hello,

Back to France, I have tried to work 1 or 2 hours on the mecanic that the eduan offices could have. It seems to work properly. I have add some trigger :
    - Kingetorix (military commander) : be an aedui and an Epas
    - Eporedorix (cavalry commander) : be an aedui and a Kingetos
    - Batorix (infantry commander) : be an aedui and a Kingetos

Here the little submod (in french) : http://dl.free.fr/v9V8u7O41

If you want to use try this one, you will need to make a backup of the files involved and cut/paste the files of the submod. (He is probably not save game compatible.)

What do you think about this ?

"- Eporedorix (cavalry commander) : be an aedui and a Kingetos"
    Without going too deep in the matter (because I don't know much about the topic), let me make a suggestion. It would be much better if the cavalry commander was of Epas rank himself