Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis of Empires - an old dusty project brought out again! [OP Updated - 10/05/18]

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Genesis of Empires - an old dusty project brought out again! [OP Updated - 10/05/18]

Hey all, I am bringing out on of my very old writing projects. This is almost 3-4 years old, and thought to blow off some dust from it. I'll keep adding to it as and when time permits.

Back then, I had originally intended this to be a community project of building out a whole writing world. But for some reason, no one seemed interested there and I now think that to some degree, I might not have been welcoming enough. But I am now putting this up as final hope to work with many fantastic writers in building a writing universe. I'll put out some of my initial writings to see if there is any interest.

The Index
    Of Ballads and Songs
    ------| Of Ballads and Songs |------
    Write of the old ballads, the songs, or even war chants of the yore!

1. Chant of the North
    2. Song of the Drako
    3. Dushara's Promise

Of Legends and Lore
    ------| Of Legends and Lore |------
    Write of the old legends, the lore, or even the roots and beginnings!

1. Biography of Suregemai

Of Sagas and Epics
    ------| Of Sagas and Epics |------
    Write of the mighty heroes of old, their struggles and labors!

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    (M, did you want there to be a link to the previous thread? Even if you want to start the writing again from scratch, I thought your old OP was a helpful explanation of what's expected of people. )
    Yeah, I did not want to bring that up since it was a failed project, and wanted to make a fresh start. The expectation is very simple, to explore the depths of your creativity and write to heart's content. This is pure writing for the pleasure of it, it will be all open with no onehoarding creativity but sharing it, and thereby enhancing it by new levels of perception. The only expectation is to be respectful of other's contribution and not break it for others. For one, the theme I've envisioned so far is that of Archaic-History Fantasy with Mystical elements. Anything blends well with this sort of theme except sci-fi or modern technology. That said, I don't want to be a dictator about it, and like to see some bouts of creativity from others. So you can create any civilization inspired by real ones, or even one from pure imagination. Once someone updates a piece here, I'll update the Index.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; October 05, 2018 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Update

Blog Entries

Default Re: Genesis of Empires - an old dusty project brought out again!

Chant of the North
    I feel it in the wind,
    I feel it in the land,
    I feel it in the waters,
    The frenzy of the north rises!

From the freezing tips of the mountains,
    Like jagged teeth of mighty watchtowers.
    To the icy waters of the coasts,
    Like silent breath of the old Gods.
    The thrill of war takes hold on all!

Long we have lived in the north,
    Our homes covered by the frost.
    Long we have endured this frost,
    Our bones freezing to the marrow.
    The call of the sea now rings in our ears!

The axes will be sharpened,
    The boats will be readied.
    And the horns will blare in fury,
    When the world will suffer our wrath!
    Song of the Drako
    The mighty serpent of old lives in the lands!
    Remember the twisted river of old,
    It is where the Wyrm crawled in its joy.
    Remember the caves and caverns of stone,
    It is where the Wyrm tunnelled in its labour.
    Remember the gnarled dark woods,
    It is where the Wyrm fumed in its rage.
    Remember the misty lights of the night,
    It is where the Wyrm breathes in its ease.
    All now hear of the Drako!

From the rivers to the caves,
    From the caverns to the woods,
    Sing praises to the Drako!
    For when we rush into battle,
    And charge in fury,
    The Drako will aid us in victory!
    Last edited by m_1512; September 25, 2018 at 11:14 PM.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Good to see you again old friend. You shall have my quill for this, once I'm finished moving house.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The Chant of the North is haunting and evocative. Your idea of building a writing universe is an intriguing one, I look forward to seeing how this will develop and to reading any contributions by Hitai and others (good luck with the house move, Hitai!). The Northmen, with their 'old Gods', homes in a cold land, their axes and their boats, feeling 'the call of the sea', sound similar to the Norsemen of our world.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I agree with Alwyn, the Chant of the North is really effective - I can feel the freezing wind.

I'll see if I can find some time for this.

(M, did you want there to be a link to the previous thread? Even if you want to start the writing again from scratch, I thought your old OP was a helpful explanation of what's expected of people. )

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Listened to the God of War main theme with this and it was awesome!

This looks very promising with a great host gathering already with more to follow

Best of luck in this endeavor!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the kind words guys, given the fact that I've no knowledge of techniques of poetry. I am definitely look forward to good participation.

Listened to the God of War main theme with this and it was awesome!
    I just tried that and what an idea. Looking forward to some writings from your end too.

Default Re: Genesis of Empires - an old dusty project brought out again! [OP Updated - 09/26/18]

I am also intrigued and will aim to cast some legends and warcries your way soon. Perhaps I will start now...
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Genesis of Empires - an old dusty project brought out again! [OP Updated - 09/26/18]

Biography of Suregemai
    Book of Ekij, Chapter 137:92-98 (Biographies of Women in the Lesser Khanates)

Suregemai, temple name Shăshai’їn, daughter of Ub-Ishaal, granddaughter of Ub-Ibin, of the Kesh thrall-dynasty. Poetess and dowager-magistrate of the oasis city of Bhalsh in the Khanate of Qol.

Born in the fourth year of the Blue Crescent Khan, Suregemai was raised as a minor noblewoman in the caste-house of Kesh, where she was tutored by the shaman Gorülg-zїr. In the thirteenth year of the Blue Crescent Khan, she received her literary education in the Classics at the court in Baiydnїr, where she developed a rivalry with the young beigum Sabaraї-sai.

In the second year of the White Wolf Khan, Suregemai was betrothed to Id-Yerüsh, the magistrate of Bhalsh. Whilst living in Bhalsh, she often cared for the sick and destitute of the city. Zarah-uj, in his Desert Travels in the Golden Era, remarks:

The magistrate’s wife was often seen on the streets of Bhalsh, donating the silks and jewels of the court to the needy. There was also rumour that she conducted blood rituals to treat travellers skinflayed by the desert winds, and even to bring back sickly newborns from the brink of death.

In the nineteenth year of the White Wolf Khan, Id-Yerüsh sequestered himself in the sub-palace of Bhalsh, giving himself over to the pleasures of his harem. In his stead, Suregemai ruled as magistrate of Bhalsh. She was dutiful in the collection of taxes and the provision of the necessary tithes to the Khan’s court in Baiydnїr, and she was well respected across the Khanate of Qol.

In the second year of the Trampling Horse Khan, Id-Yerüsh passed away and the Khan came to Bhalsh to pay his respects. Upon meeting Suregemai, he proclaimed: “So you were the true power behind the throne in Bhalsh! My own wife could learn much from you!”

Suregemai reigned as dowager-magistrate of Bhalsh in her final years, before dying in the seventeenth year of the Trampling Horse Khan. Her funeral was attended by three thousand people from across the Khanate, all of whom wept as she was placed into her own personal burial mound. Upon her death, the shaman of Bhalsh bestowed upon her the temple name of Shăshai’їn: the kind and virtuous queen.

Just finished a contribution. I hope the group finds it worthy.

Dushara's Promise

We walk in sand and over flint.
    We walk through fire and flood.
    We walk where no other has ever went
    To draw out the Greek's red blood.

We walk down valleys and over hills.
    We walk through trackless nights.
    We walk with hatred in our souls
    To put out bold Ptolemy's sight.

By fleetest foot and candlelight
    We will not rest, not yet.
    We'll traps before you set.

We walk with crimson in our hearts.
    We walk over seas of red.
    We walk together or apart
    To see the tyrants dead.

We walk down rivers, long and bent.
    We walk up wadis, dry.
    We walk behind arrows hellbound sent
    To see Alexandria cry.

We'll make you see us now.
    We'll make you 'fore us bow.

But the oppressor never believes
    That vengeance will come to him,
    For the hearts of those he bleeds
    Are all broken to his whims.
    And even should they try
    To shatter their rattling chains,
    Their hopes would in fire die
    For a slave can hold no gains.

But we, the free, are not so bound
    And so we’ll fight for them.

We’ll make you see them all.
    We’ll make you ‘fore them fall.

| My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

A fine additions, hitai and kilo.

WS team - please update the OP with the links. I can't do it via Tapatalk. Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Default Re: Genesis of Empires - an old dusty project brought out again! [OP Updated - 10/05/18]

Fine additions, indeed! I enjoyed the tale of Suregemai (with its hints about the culture of the Lesser Khanates) and the passionate, fiery Dushara's Promise.

Default Re: Genesis of Empires - an old dusty project brought out again! [OP Updated - 10/05/18]

Random question for people here:

Would contibutors to this project be interested in there being a small banner-link for our sigs, to direct people this way? I was thinking maybe something the size of Alwyn's images, with a simple-ish but still cool design, and which has some elements of "Genesis of Empires" in it. I guess I just find this whole idea to be really cool (a creative writing collection that we all contribute to together), and I want to advertise it via my sig and thought others might as well. m_1512, is it alright if we discuss this a teeny bit here, or would you prefer people to PM me with their thoughts?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I'm not attempting to speak for m_1512, but I think (subject to confirmation from those two august personages, m_1512 and Alwyn) that Writers' Study staff would have no objection to people answering your question here, Kilo11.

(The things in Alwyn's sig are generally referred to as sigbars, by the way. That might be a useful piece of information to have in case anyone asks the Art Staff to produce one for this. )

Blog Entries

Cai just said spoke my mind! Yes, having discussions here would be definite yes, that's why we'll have links in the OP to the main text.

And yes sig images or sigbars would be cool.

Cool! Then if I might be so bold as to start the discussion about sigbars, what would the people here find cool? I have different ideas, but none that are terribly concrete (and they are all also probably not super well implementable in such a small image). Any ideas would be very welcome!

Also, @Caillagh, would you maybe be able to send me via pm the image for one of your sigbars? I know the ladies and gents over in the graphics department could mock up something way more quickly than I could (and also assuredly something way better), but I'd like to have a try myself, and having a finished sigbar at hand would help me out greatly (mainly for things like the dimensions and the acceptable font sizes and whatnot). Once I have something I feel is mildly acceptable I'll post it for the group to critique!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Cool! Then if I might be so bold as to start the discussion about sigbars, what would the people here find cool? I have different ideas, but none that are terribly concrete (and they are all also probably not super well implementable in such a small image). Any ideas would be very welcome!
    I was struck by the imagery in Hitai's tale - a blue crescent, a white wolf and a trampling horse - and Kilo11's phrasing - 'over sand and over flint', 'fire and flood' and 'fleetest foot and candlelight'. Maybe such images and phrases could recur in tales set in this world - and might appear in any sig bar for Genesis of Empires?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Also, @Caillagh, would you maybe be able to send me via pm the image for one of your sigbars? I know the ladies and gents over in the graphics department could mock up something way more quickly than I could (and also assuredly something way better), but I'd like to have a try myself, and having a finished sigbar at hand would help me out greatly (mainly for things like the dimensions and the acceptable font sizes and whatnot). Once I have something I feel is mildly acceptable I'll post it for the group to critique!
    When you view the Writers' Study on a desktop or laptop, can you right-click on one of our sig bars and select 'Save Image As'? If you save the image and open it in Paint.net (which is free to download, or similar software) and select 'Image' and 'Resize', then it should be possible to see the size. I just tried this with a sig bar, the sig bar was 350 pixels wide and 19 high, if that's any use.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I was struck by the imagery in Hitai's tale - a blue crescent, a white wolf and a trampling horse - and Kilo11's phrasing - 'over sand and over flint', 'fire and flood' and 'fleetest foot and candlelight'. Maybe such images and phrases could recur in tales set in this world - and might appear in any sig bar for Genesis of Empires?
    Thanks for those thoughts Alwyn. I was thinking about more generic things to do with the "origin of empires", but your idea to make use of imagery already found in these tales is way better in my opinion. If I can get my writing for my AAR wrapped up in an orderly fashion today I think I'll start playing with some of your ideas and getting a mock-up together.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    When you view the Writers' Study on a desktop or laptop, can you right-click on one of our sig bars and select 'Save Image As'? If you save the image and open it in Paint.net (which is free to download, or similar software) and select 'Image' and 'Resize', then it should be possible to see the size. I just tried this with a sig bar, the sig bar was 350 pixels wide and 19 high, if that's any use.
    Thanks for this as well Alwyn. That is a sort of "duh" way to do it, but I hadn't thought of it yet. Now I've got one of your sigbars as a template for size and font size and whatnot, which should speed me along nicely and give me a little more confidence as I proceed. So thanks for that!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Icon1 Re: Genesis of Empires - an old dusty project brought out again! [OP Updated - 10/05/18]

Ba'al Cycle
    Upon Olam, El had sought,
    To crown a king, of his loins' fruit.
    Ashtar, the mighty throne had caught,
    But Yam the just, dethroned the brute.

Against Ba'al turned he, proud,
    Chased to table, by the strife.
    Afore Yam's heralds, all gods cowed,
    Excepting Ba'al, wielding knife.

Contender, had himself declared,
    His sea beasts, Annat slain.
    Fields and salt, together paired,
    Shapsh dried, saved the grain.

Kothar wa Khasis, deft and wise,
    Crafted arms, tools of death.
    Ba'al fell'd Yam, "Dead!", he cries,
    Becomes the monarch of the earth.

Light of heart, and full of mirth,
    His enemies, Annat treads.
    Soldiers' blood, fills earth to girth,
    Piled guts and girdled heads.

Ba'al, battle-weary, asked,
    "Pour out peace, cease yours wars".
    To build his palace, she flew fast,
    To father's hall, as dove she soars.

Behind doors and locks he hid,
    Rejects her menace and her praise.
    His wife, Kothar wa Khasis bid,
    Gifts her gilded, silver dais.

Asherah his bribes declined,
    So them, the pair, returns tenfold.
    Their gifts pleased her mind,
    Gifts of silver, gifts of gold.

Her ass saddled, led to El,
    Asherah opted to fawn.
    "Build a hall for Ba'al to dwell,
    He is the judge, above him none".

Annat, quickly, flies and calls,
    "Ba'al: hall's request was granted".
    Brickwork house, cedars' walls,
    Kothar wa Khasis crafts, enchanted.

A feast is set, above the mist.
    Through skies, Ba'al shakes the land:
    "Mot! If any dare resist,
    Bury him in leaden sand!"

Mot, the god of Death, replied,
    "I defy you, puny coward!
    My mouth is chasm-wide,
    As an olive, be devoured!"

Ba'al fears, and down descends,
    From the heavens, he was torn.
    Ba'al's proper kingdom ends,
    Godly kindred, cry and mourn.

Ashtar's seat, El reinstalled,
    Yet unworthy he doth feel.
    Annat, for her brother called,
    Him, Mot eaten like a veal.

After many months of grief,
    Annat finds Mot once again.
    She cleaves the braggart thief,
    Strains, burns, mills and seeds to plain.

El has resurrection's dreams,
    Shapsh agrees to shine once more.
    Oily skies and honeyed streams,
    Ba'al, gleeful, comes to fore.

Of seven years, Ba'al meets Mot,
    The latter angers of demise.
    As beasts they shook, as rams they fought,
    Till Shapsh arrives, and cease decries.

"El and I both, Ba'al hold,
    Your throne we'll overturn."
    Mot heeds alarming scold,
    'Tis a Cycle, all ought learn.
    • My name will live in marble and that of my enemies in sand.
    • Kol kalb biji yumu.
    • Ba'al hammon demands sacrifice.
    • ​A man has many faces.
    • Diu werlt ist ûzen schœne, wîz, grüen unde rôt, und innen swarzer varwe, vinster sam der tôt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast