Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] What can the Curia do for Total War Center?

Default Re: [Discussion] What can the Curia do for Total War Center?

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    Anyone could have predicted the site having a downturn much longer ago. Many did, it was inevitable to a degree with how the whole industry, TW, and other things have shifted. It's not a special thing one way or another and nothing that needs to be beat to death more. So you can probably stop saying it now.
    This is definitely not true.
    I was called a "doomsayer!"
    Others stated, "The Curia has always had periods of lulls."
    My data is inaccurate or incomplete, yadda, yadda, yadda. In fact, it wasn't until AL confirmed my researched that anyone believed me.
    The list goes on and on.
    If everyone knew, we wouldn't be here. Anyway, I am not whinny about it; the end is already here.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Well thats put a lid on that then? and never the twain shall meet!

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    If everyone knew, we wouldn't be here. Anyway, I am not whinny about it; the end is already here.
    I'll bring beers then, the snacks are on Hader
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I'll bring beers then, the snacks are on Hader
    I'll bring the beers you should bring the wine

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Did I hear beer?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

We should have cigars and Cognac (or Whiskey). One must go out in style.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I seriously urge you to read the old threads; it changed my preconceived notions and I sure it will change yours.

There really isn't any time. The site is dying and I do not think anything now will change that course.
    Then I strongly suggest that you read this thread and that confirms what Hader said, as time go by things will be changed by time.

if this is true, then the site should not be in the condition it is in now. TBH, you created a catch-22, if you have all of this knowledge, and then why is the site failing?

I predicted this happening more than 5 years ago. The site is done and it would be a huge pleasure to be wrong.
    Then why are you staying around and don't do something about it, except to patronage more members to become a citizen.

And we both know that patronage members for citizenship doesn't stop the downfall of TWC you repeatly have stated countless times in the past. Because as soon a member become a citizen he/she will often abandon the Curia.

For example, the Curia could present a new layout for the homepage among other things TWC needs to do in order (can't think of anything specific atm) to grow and eventually expand as any site out there.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

We should have cigars and Cognac (or Whiskey). One must go out in style.
    Beer and style aren't incompatible

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    ... as time go by things will be changed by time.
    OMG, LMAO, this is priceless!
    I have another one; though matter where you will go, there you are.

Then why are you staying around and don't do something about it, except to patronage more members to become a citizen.
    This is a joke, right?
    I am "staying around" for Imperial Splendour. We are expanding our mediums, but TWC will always be one of them until it disappears.

And we both know that patronage members for citizenship doesn't stop the downfall of TWC you repeatly have stated countless times in the past. Because as soon a member become a citizen he/she will often abandon the Curia.
    For example, the Curia could present a new layout for the homepage among other things TWC needs to do in order (can't think of anything specific atm) to grow and eventually expand as any site out there.
    I believe Muzier and I both covered this in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Beer and style aren't incompatible
    You will get no arguments from me; but when I tell people you can pair beer to food, I get judgmental looks. LOL

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

In regards to all this talk of "the end is nigh!", I'll simply refer to a post I made back in 2017 (on da subject)...

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Let me put it like this...

GED ('ol greeneyes) have worked too hard and invested too much (time, cash and effort) in this site just to let it die, or "go black". This goes for many others too, in various different ways. By posting up/hosting your TW-mod/article/guide/discovery here - you are actively doing what you can do to keep this place going... More or less, it can all be boiled down to that. Ultimately, the day GED stops caring somehow about this place - and nobody else takes over as owner - then it will die. That's one bit. The other bit are the members themselves, and their activity/posting here. If the TWC-members cease to post up interesting content (eg. mods) and comments (TW-discoveries, -feedback, -guides etc etc) - then there will be nothing to "visit" here or draw any of "us" to this place and then the TWC will die for sure. That's the other important bit.

Another probable part are the highly unfortunate development and tendency (of the game-industry) of making games fully dependent on Steam™. Its hard to escape that Valve is actually actively working towards replacing places/gamesites like the TWC with their own massive steam-fora (the interface and "infrastructure" there strike me as hopelessly inferior to that of the TWC, BTW), which they control and draw benefits from. At the very least, they (Valve) are certainly trying to make other places irrelevant the best they can (although, they will never admit as much openly, of course). The same can be said of the SEGA-boards. The TWC is (so far) essentially independent, meaning it won't play ball according to Valves whims, it will (currently) only play ball to GED's whims as he is the (current and sole) owner.

In short, your fears are way too premature. The TWC won't die any time soon, not as long as members keeps posting (somehow interesting stuff) here.
    - A

No one is saying that the site will disappear; it simply be another medium like many others on the internet.

The site's initial growth had little to do with mods but general discussion. Mods and content was an added bonus. It probably had a greater influence on the growth of staff then membership. It also provided another route in which to contribute outside of CC and modding.

If what you said is accurate then Steam doesn't compete with TWC.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I think a key attitude for progress (not to comment on implementation, though I certainly could for anyone interested) is to review and polish the niches this site offers, and then dig into those as the selling points of TWC in promoting to a wider community. It should be abundantly clear what other platforms offer, and then what we offer in a detailed list while not trying to edge into fields that we simply have little to no chance of being meaningful in, such as the direct integration of very small scale mods that don't need any of the larger bling we offer. Another aspect would be for the MS to largely frame this site as a modder's resource and not a primary distribution platform, since we are simply a poor platform for that purpose. While much of what I'm saying is the case already, the other part is to actively promote those concepts, and help get us exposure and relevance to cores that have no idea what this place can really be or can't really grasp the scale of what's available. While we don't need to encourage an active membership that has a problem with reading (the discord I'm administrating might kill me for this, but alas, it's a community that has many such people), it is entirely possible that we can acquire perfectly good and potentially quite valuable members who just need things in a clearer, more polished light.

There are several sections that are simply pointless today, multiple that are limping along badly, and others that could be more efficient or reframed. I would argue that given the scale of what this site broadcasts, everything should be relevant, and anything that isn't should be archived, worked on, folded or removed. It is a call well beyond the scale of what the Curia can do, but it is something the Curia can certainly help achieve by bouncing ideas and hosting discussions under the vision of Hex, who are certainly able to push on what may appear as actually decent initiatives along with the wide splatter of staff who are otherwise involved. Much of the problem lies in things that are too dated to appeal. Updating the site piece by piece to achieve a near or fully modernized deal to the total war community would be a fine step in making this place a nexus of attention. At worst, it would result in an appealing site that has a wealth of information for those who seek it. Optimally, it would result in a platform that can be further tweaked for retention and enter a new age of activity, defying the naysayers and perhaps luring CA staff into making official posts here again. But it's an initiative that requires the right attitudes and truckloads of commitment. Naturally it would take planning and vision. But I think it is quite possible.

If what you said is accurate then Steam doesn't compete with TWC.
    Well, you know this isn't true considering I have advocated that TWC offer what Steam cannot do or would not do

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    I think a key attitude for progress (not to comment on implementation, though I certainly could for anyone interested) is to review and polish the niches this site offers, and then dig into those as the selling points of TWC in promoting to a wider community. It should be abundantly clear what other platforms offer, and then what we offer in a detailed list while not trying to edge into fields that we simply have little to no chance of being meaningful in, such as the direct integration of very small scale mods that don't need any of the larger bling we offer. Another aspect would be for the MS to largely frame this site as a modder's resource and not a primary distribution platform, since we are simply a poor platform for that purpose. While much of what I'm saying is the case already, the other part is to actively promote those concepts, and help get us exposure and relevance to cores that have no idea what this place can really be or can't really grasp the scale of what's available. While we don't need to encourage an active membership that has a problem with reading (the discord I'm administrating might kill me for this, but alas, it's a community that has many such people), it is entirely possible that we can acquire perfectly good and potentially quite valuable members who just need things in a clearer, more polished light.

There are several sections that are simply pointless today, multiple that are limping along badly, and others that could be more efficient or reframed. I would argue that given the scale of what this site broadcasts, everything should be relevant, and anything that isn't should be archived, worked on, folded or removed. It is a call well beyond the scale of what the Curia can do, but it is something the Curia can certainly help achieve by bouncing ideas and hosting discussions under the vision of Hex, who are certainly able to push on what may appear as actually decent initiatives along with the wide splatter of staff who are otherwise involved. Much of the problem lies in things that are too dated to appeal. Updating the site piece by piece to achieve a near or fully modernized deal to the total war community would be a fine step in making this place a nexus of attention. At worst, it would result in an appealing site that has a wealth of information for those who seek it. Optimally, it would result in a platform that can be further tweaked for retention and enter a new age of activity, defying the naysayers and perhaps luring CA staff into making official posts here again. But it's an initiative that requires the right attitudes and truckloads of commitment. Naturally it would take planning and vision. But I think it is quite possible.
    If I had a dime every time I suggested that the site needs to rethink itself i would be a rich man right now. The last thread I made (something like, where do we go from here) was a huge discussion on revamping the front age which looks like a 9th grade IT project from the late 1990s. The one positive that came out of it was my modding staff idea which took another three years to convince anyone to give it a go. It reminds to be seen if that will come to any use in the future. At the risk of being a negative Nancy but I do not think there is enough impetuous to "rethink" the site. There is a reason why "we" are here now. This site requires a massive paradigm shift. It isn't just a shift and knowing something needs to be done, you need to change the entire approach from an adversarial mindset to collaboration. I do not see how past grudges will be put aside for the sake of the site. Anyway, the most likely scenario is that people will get use to the new normal. After all, this has continuously happened throughout the site's history.

Well, you know this isn't true considering I have advocated that TWC offer what Steam cannot do or would not do
    Then exactly what's true by judging your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    Anyone could have predicted the site having a downturn much longer ago. Many did, it was inevitable to a degree with how the whole industry, TW, and other things have shifted. It's not a special thing one way or another and nothing that needs to be beat to death more. So you can probably stop saying it now.
    I was called a "doomsayer!"
    Others stated, "The Curia has always had periods of lulls."
    My data is inaccurate or incomplete, yadda, yadda, yadda. In fact, it wasn't until AL confirmed my researched that anyone believed me.
    The list goes on and on.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

If I had a dime every time I suggested that the site needs to rethink itself i would be a rich man right now. The last thread I made (something like, where do we go from here) was a huge discussion on revamping the front age which looks like a 9th grade IT project from the late 1990s. The one positive that came out of it was my modding staff idea which took another three years to convince anyone to give it a go. It reminds to be seen if that will come to any use in the future. At the risk of being a negative Nancy but I do not think there is enough impetuous to "rethink" the site. There is a reason why "we" are here now. This site requires a massive paradigm shift. It isn't just a shift and knowing something needs to be done, you need to change the entire approach from an adversarial mindset to collaboration. I do not see how past grudges will be put aside for the sake of the site. Anyway, the most likely scenario is that people will get use to the new normal. After all, this has continuously happened throughout the site's history.
    I do indeed consider that the worst broad issue to be found right now that isn't a specific this or that. Alas, there is a pendulum stuck between 'throw it at the wall, hope it works' and 'lets just do nothing'. A bigger picture and an actual plan I believe to be the only remedy, otherwise I do share the opinion that eventually, inevitably, premature death will come. You could say 'eventually, inevitably' about any site, but in this case I say premature - TWC will not live forever, but it has the opportunity to live longer than I would expect it to on current charts.

I'll throw my suggestions and walls around bit by bit, more to those who care to read, hoping someone will take the ideas to heart and implement them somewhere, if not everywhere. Bit by bit, segment by segment, and if the sum is failure, then I suppose I will have followed the path for myself and will have no qualms about dropping the torch from there. I'd like to see things go up again one way or another, and really, my vision is far from the only one. I am of course biased in that sense, but I like to think biases can be tempered by attempting to achieve a bigger picture in scope and being 'biased' by as many variables as possible to find something resembling a so called neutral take.

At the risk of being naive, I think another golden age for TWC is possible, one to catch old activity and position in the wider community. I won't dare say probable, but possible, sure.

I do indeed consider that the worst broad issue to be found right now that isn't a specific this or that. Alas, there is a pendulum stuck between 'throw it at the wall, hope it works' and 'lets just do nothing'. A bigger picture and an actual plan I believe to be the only remedy, otherwise I do share the opinion that eventually, inevitably, premature death will come. You could say 'eventually, inevitably' about any site, but in this case I say premature - TWC will not live forever, but it has the opportunity to live longer than I would expect it to on current charts.
    The only way the site come to sudden end is if GED himself pulls the plug. I believe the site will be a little forum for those who do not wish to be part of the official forum.

I'll throw my suggestions and walls around bit by bit, more to those who care to read, hoping someone will take the ideas to heart and implement them somewhere, if not everywhere. Bit by bit, segment by segment, and if the sum is failure, then I suppose I will have followed the path for myself and will have no qualms about dropping the torch from there. I'd like to see things go up again one way or another, and really, my vision is far from the only one. I am of course biased in that sense, but I like to think biases can be tempered by attempting to achieve a bigger picture in scope and being 'biased' by as many variables as possible to find something resembling a so called neutral take.

At the risk of being naive, I think another golden age for TWC is possible, one to catch old activity and position in the wider community. I won't dare say probable, but possible, sure.
    I honestly wish you better luck than me.

A long time ago i did advocate the site have dedicated member to be the site's strategic planner. The general idea is this person would conduct polls of members to ascertain what people believe the the direction of the site ought to be. Once receiving he feedback, the SP, would devise a plan to move the site in that direction. Te beauty of the "plan" is that GED would not have to be hands on for any implementation once he had approve the plan. So, instead of the site "treading water" it can take tangible steps to providing the services people wanted. Any improvement to the site would have to start from there.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

A long time ago i did advocate the site have dedicated member to be the site's strategic planner. The general idea is this person would conduct polls of members to ascertain what people believe the the direction of the site ought to be. Once receiving he feedback, the SP, would devise a plan to move the site in that direction. Te beauty of the "plan" is that GED would not have to be hands on for any implementation once he had approve the plan. So, instead of the site "treading water" it can take tangible steps to providing the services people wanted. Any improvement to the site would have to start from there.
    This would be interesting, though at this juncture, I think it would have to pass through GED to stand the initial shot (when he comes back these days, who knows) and there would have to be additional/more active technical staff to implement any of the deeper proposals to carry out since, again, GED's great, but his activity is measurably unreliable, even for presence in the approval section of that plan (unless such a person has a hex-level direct link of some sort, which would be nice).

But in any case, through an individual, through committee, or heck, even through an unofficial initiative with top level blessing, I think this would be a nifty start.

Yes, true and i would be on board with any discussion.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

So... them Modding Awards huh. Took 3 full months just to get the nominations thread launched, then another 2 full months just to get all the nominations double-checked and OKed.

Look people have other responsibilities and real life stuff obviously has preference over anything TWC related, but thats absurd. Why not just give responsibility to the Curia?
    There are hundreds of potential Curia members. If just 30 people each check 2 or 3 nominations, you could have the double-check period over with inside a week.

Its beside the point that the Modding Awards are meaningless due to the lack of mods/nominations, and just getting nominated will generally let you win outright due to lack of competition.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast