Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to romeII/DEI couple questions...

Default New to romeII/DEI couple questions...

Hey guys so I bought Rome II at launch and obv it was so bad I decided to wait a couple years and come back to it once some overhauls came out from the talented modders around these parts. Decided I would try it again now that the new version of DEI came out, (seems awesome you devs are super ambitious fellows) and after a few hours of playing I have a few questions that may be exclusive to DEI or just an inexperienced player to Rome II in general. I tried to read as many guides for DEI as I could but still have some confusion.

1. Buildings - So you have a major province and then minor cities attached to it. If I build a barracks in one of the minor provinces can I recruit those units throughout the entire major province or just within the immediate proximity of that particular settlement? Same with religious buildings.... does constructing a religious building improve public order throughout the entire province or just that particular settlement?

2. "dignitaries are now governors" - So you can recruit a dignitary to act as a governor in DEI, I havent unlocked the ability to recruit them yet but does this eliminate the need to have one of your generals stationed in a city to provide bonuses to trade and public order ( I realize a general with an army decreaces public order)? What is the best strategy as far as dignitaries and generals being in settlements as far as overall management and keeping things running smoothly?

3. Unit rosters - I was looking at the unit rosters of the various factions in a custom battle to help me decide which faction I wanted to play for my campaign. Are there certain units that are not availabe in custom battles, that are recruitable in the campaign? I was looking through the roman units and there wasn't a single legionary unit on the roster in the custom battle recruitment panel that was rockin lorica segmentata? Is this because the custom battle only shows units prior to reforms? Found this sorta odd...

4. Is there a submod that adds blood and gore to the battles or is that only available through the dlc?

Thanks in advance to any advice!
    Last edited by Hockey85; August 24, 2016 at 02:27 AM.

Default Re: New to romeII/DEI couple questions...

1. Yes, most building effects affect the entire province, not just the region the city is in. There are some very few exceptions to this (I think as Rome you need to build an auxiliary barracks on Crete itself to gain access to auxiliary Cretan archers).

2. With a dignitary, you can deploy them in a province by hitting that little "deploy" button on the bottom left of the UI when you have them selected. For generals, it's not a bad idea in DeI to keep a single general without any other units stationed inside a city. They'll gain experience, and you can level them up with some pretty nice abilities to help public order and the economy of that province.

3. Yes, for Rome, we have so many units that we just can't fit them all in the custom battle roster. You can however see a few more of those by selecting the Antony, Octavian, Lepidus, and Pompey rosters. The late Roman units in custom battles are in those rosters, but those units (and more) are all available to the main Rome faction in the campaign.

4. Only available through the DLC, I'm afraid.

To elaborate on agustus's answer for 1.

If a building only effects the city it is built in, the effect will have (this region) tagged behind the effect.

The are just a few regions where you need to have an aux barracks in a specific spot as rome to gain acces to a particular unit. The cretan reformed auxiliary archer is one example.
    But any units that show up in a barracks are recruitable province wide.

Thanks so much for the help guys, and thanks for all your hard work on the mod.

Also, Rome has ALOT more units not in custom battle that are auxiliary units. pre-Marian those are mostly AOR type units. But after marian reforms there are a whole lot of new units to recruit also.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

So since I have this thread going I thought I would bring up one more issue I could use some help with. I have the blood and gore dlc installed but have seen alot of people mentioning mods that enhance/increase the blood and textures. I was wondering which one would be a good fit with this mod or if anyone could recommend the one that they use along with DEI that produces the best results.

I was also doing some testing in custom battles and it seems like after watching a bunch of fights I never see any of the really cool kill animations or gory results that seem to be quite common in videos I have watched from this game (ie decapitations and stabbing kill moves ect) I was also looking at mods that increase the violence and frequency of kill animations but I was thinking that since DEI mods animations they may conflict. Is there any mods that can be recommended to enhance blood and kill animations in DEI battles that others have found to work well?

Finally I have noticed that in the mod manager from steam you cannot re arrange the order of the mods installed, is this possible and does the load order of mods have any effect? I currently only have DEI and the 12 turns per season submod installed.

Thanks again in advance

Mods listed first will load first, you want submods to load first.

There are some kill animation mods that are compatible with DeI, I can't remember which ones though But many of those were removed here for balance reasons if I remember - to help with battles and keeping formations.

For the textures/graphics mods - almost all of those are DeI compatible if they only change graphics and not tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Mods listed first will load first, you want submods to load first.

There are some kill animation mods that are compatible with DeI, I can't remember which ones though But many of those were removed here for balance reasons if I remember - to help with battles and keeping formations.

For the textures/graphics mods - almost all of those are DeI compatible if they only change graphics and not tables.

Ahhhh, no wonder my sub mods weren't working!'

For DEI, is part 2 supposed to be before 1 in the steam loader? (When looking at it left to right)

Nope, part 2 should be after.

You can always just rename a pack file with additional "@" infront of them, the more they have, the higher load priority they will have.

Steam versions should automatically be ordered correctly if done alphabetically

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Or use the script.txt file. Then you can control the loading order perfectly. No need to rename mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so as far as load order is concerned, I have always used a mod manager to control the load order of mods for previous TW titles. I downloaded the mod manager for rome II and for whatever reason it will not launch the game through steam. Steam will always freeze or do nothing when launching through the stand alone mod manager.

So that being said, there is also a mod manager through the steam client, it shows the listing of installed mods in an order from right to left with each mod being a box with the mod title/description. However you cannot change or rearrange the order through the steam mod manager. Looking at the steam mod manager, is this displaying the order the mods are loaded? So would the mod to the right be loaded first or last??? Do the mods to the right overwrite the mods to the left or the other way around???

The third party mod manager worked up until patch 17 I believe. Then they hired the guy who made it, so no one ever fixed the mod manager.

The steam mod manager load priority is left to right in the case of Rome 2.

It's a mod manager, but it does the bare minimum needed to work I guess. Just like the rest of steam.

Ok so just to clarify (and thank you for your help and patience) I took your advice and added additional "@" signs. So for example I have manually installed DEI and the submod that makes all factions playable/12 turns per year. So when opening the steam mod manager from left to right it goes:

@a_DeI_AFP12_submod-----divide_et_impera_release_2-----divide_et_impera_release_1

This means that the mods to the left are loading last aka they are overwriting the ones to the right as intended. And for the sake of example if I want to add a random mod of my own I can rename it with @@@ to adjust the load order and make it load after the other and thus overwrite it like so?

@@@a_RANDOM MOD-----@a_DeI_AFP12_submod-----divide_et_impera_release_2-----divide_et_impera_release_1

No, the mods on the left load first.

The @ sign gives them higher load priority (it goes alphabetic, and the @ sign for some reason is highest priority in useable symbols).

You should have it DeI afp 12tpy > dei release 1 > dei release 2.

EDIT: What Ivan said. He was faster than me on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    EDIT: What Ivan said. He was faster than me on this one.
    I AM THE GREATEST, BIGGEST, AND FASTEST JERK ON TWC!

So if the mods on the left load first does that not mean that the mods that load after them overwrite them and cancel out the submod? Wouldnt the submod want to load last after the main mod and thus implement the changes present in the submod?

No, the submod wants to load first (on the left) because it is overwriting parts of the main mod and changing them.

I guess its just a matter of me confusing the way we are wording this. If by loading first you mean its in first as far as priority over the other mods that makes sense. I was thinking of it in terms of the mods that load last are loading AFTER and thus overwriting and taking priority lol. So we could simplify this by saying that the mods on the left overwrite the mods on the right....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast