Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD (READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING!)

Default Re: 2018 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD (READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING!)

I meant nominate. Still, being able to nominate yourself looks a bit pretentious if you ask me.
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: 2018 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD (READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING!)

At least for favourite modder.^^
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; March 12, 2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: bad grammar
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

IMO if you do a mod, it's because you think you can do a relatively good job, at least for your own taste (or you just pick mods done by someone else), and so why not nominate it? Not doing it would be false modesty.
    Beside, for a presidential election, would you be shocked if a candidate goes voting? Would you be shocked if a vote for himself? Should he vote for one of the other candidate? If he runs, it's because he thinks his better than the other, doesn't he?

EDIT: ninja'd!

also: Nominating your own mod makes sense as it could be giving extra publicity to something you're proud of having completed, but for nomination stage I must admit I like seeing people trying to include other's work too.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

And don't forget it's nomination, where number doesn't matter. If the other mods/modders have already been nominated, you don't have to do it again. So even if you just nominate yourself to be safe, that doesn't mean you wouldn't nominate others if they were not already.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodia_Metelli View Post
    At least for favourite moder.^^
    Point taken! Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Would you be shocked if a vote for himself? Should he vote for one of the other candidate? If he runs, it's because he thinks his better than the other, doesn't he?
    Honestly, not shocked, but a bit... turned off. I think if you expect to see success, other people should vote for you instead. But it's only symbolical. Same with the TWC, if your work is good and noteworthy then at least one other person should have nominated you already. But I get it, this isn't the Oscars and mods may go unnoticed...
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by important notices
    3. to be eligible for the New Modder category, a modder must not have released any mod or tool before 1/1/2017.
    Why resources don't count?

I think the intent behind the 'new modder' rule was that they shouldn't have released anything before 1/1/2017 - in order to qualify as "new"

Is there a particular person nominated where you think this is a problem?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

IIRC the rule that allows modders to nominate themselves and their mods has been there for ages (certainly before I joined the Committee, back in 2014)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    I think the intent behind the 'new modder' rule was that they shouldn't have released anything before 1/1/2017 - in order to qualify as "new"

Is there a particular person nominated where you think this is a problem?
    Maybe, just trying to figure out the intentions of the commitee. I didn't check the nominated members.

Now I noticed from point 2 that a classical modder may not have released a tool or mod since 2017 and again resources are not mentioned here.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

a little embarrassing in my opinion the self nomination of some modders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    I've already commented on this; as told this is customary since ages, and this is the very first year anyone actually complained about.

We will talk about this for the next edition, but now please let's get over it, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    Maybe, just trying to figure out the intentions of the commitee. I didn't check the nominated members.

Now I noticed from point 2 that a classical modder may not have released a tool or mod since 2017 and again resources are not mentioned here.
    tools (and resources) go together; in other words a resource can be considered either a tool or a mod, so if anyone released a resource during 2017 or later they are not eligible for the Classical Modder
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

How long are the nominations open for?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

I've not fixed a final date yet, when I will, be comforted that the membership will be informed few days in advance.
    Last edited by Flinn; March 22, 2019 at 09:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Nominations are going to close on April the 1st; you still have 4 days to cast your nominations or to edit them, so don't lose time and run to do your duty!

Great mods and modders deserve recognition, and it's up to us to grant it to them!

Sorry, I want add a mod in my nominations, but the forum doesn't works well and I can't edit the messages. What should I do?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Can you edit a post by right-clicking on Edit Post, selecting 'Open Link in New Tab', then copying and pasting the post you want to edit into the empty box (and then editing it normally)?

Solved. Thank you very much Alwyn for your advice.

Hopefully the Forum will return to normal soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Agreed. Voting for a mod you're a part of, in conjunction with others is one thing. But actually nominating yourself? It's like being able to rep your own posts.

I understand your point of view, but the nominations basically is for participate in the Modding Awards (in my opinion). The Modding Awards Comittee can't guess all mods and users that did some work in the year of the awards to make a direct vote.

There are also many users who don't know if you have created/updated a mod in the corresponding year or even users who don't even know that they are making the nominations of Modding Awards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast