Thread: Does The Campaign AI Behave This Way In Vanilla Med2 or Any Other Mods?

Bellus88's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon4 Does The Campaign AI Behave This Way In Vanilla Med2 or Any Other Mods?

In Vanilla or any mods has anyone noticed that the AI on the campaign map just won't attack you if you conquer a region from them and put a really large army in the regions capital?

At least that is what is happening in the mod I'm playing THERA REDUX I think its scripted badly for the campaign supposedly the guy who made it said it was designed to be played with normal unit sizes on "normal" "normal" for battle and campaign difficulty or hard for campaign difficulty but I edited my save and switched campaign difficulty to VH and always had battle difficulty on VH. The Tahar Caliphate in that mod conquered an entire continent, Ibelica and I invaded them but not with many stacks of large armies just 3 large armies and I conquered 2 regions from them and failed to conquer one of them they beat me in 1 region, THERA REDUX has many large Islands so I had to transport my armies by sea. They sent many big stack armies near the regions I conquered but they just never attack it , they only attack a region if I don't have a large army in the city, has the AI been known to do this?
    Or is this just with this mod im playing?

They just won't attack me because I have large armies in the city even though they could easily send 2-3 stack armies to invade each region but they just won't do it. It really frustrates me because it makes me think this mod will be too easy since all I have to do is invade them with large armies , conquer regions then they will never attack me.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does The Campaign AI Behave This Way In Vanilla Med2 or Any Other Mods?

The AI is often not good at co-coordinating attacks, especially against large stacks, although I do seem to remember some awesome multiple attack stack sieges in RodG. On the other hand you will need pockets if you want to leave large stacks in each occupied settlements.

Bellus88's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Does The Campaign AI Behave This Way In Vanilla Med2 or Any Other Mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The AI is often not good at co-coordinating attacks, especially against large stacks, although I do seem to remember some awesome multiple attack stack sieges in RodG. On the other hand you will need pockets if you want to leave large stacks in each occupied settlements.

What do you mean leave pockets? I just want them to attack me , I have 2 large stack armies in 2 regions both beside each other and they just won't attack me, they have many large armies and they just stand there doing nothing it has been 5+ turns and they still won't attack me, I don't have the offensive capability to keep invading them from that settlement and if I did my army would probably be defeated eventually since they have many stacks and they would most likely react to an army on the move deeper into their territory.

Blog Entries

Sorry I meant 'deep pockets': high income to support several full stacks if you that's how you want to secure regional wins.

Plus, you are basically stuck - without the AI having to expend armies. That's not too bad on the AI's side come to think of it.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

The AI is also bad at holding many settlements. I don't know that mod you're talking about but I am surprised the CAI faction managed to hold a large continent, assuming it has several settlements. An AI faction with 20+ settlements is going to be played quite badly.

Sorry I meant 'deep pockets': high income to support several full stacks if you that's how you want to secure regional wins.

Plus, you are basically stuck - without the AI having to expend armies. That's not too bad on the AI's side come to think of it.
    It kinda is, because the AI doesn't know he's not sending reinforcements already. And if the AI remains passive after losing land and just gathers armies there, then you can attack the AI in a different direction with smaller stacks and prevail, something I absolutely used to do and one of the reasons I say big factions are mismanaged. The AI has those big stacks in one border, you attack elsewhere and those stacks remain there.
    I remember, I kid you not, several years ago when I used to play Med2 that I would destroy a faction and then deal with the "Rebel" remnants of their forces as they would have lost several units in the transition from faction ~> rebel stacks.
    Last edited by alhoon; October 01, 2022 at 02:29 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Blog Entries

Most mods I've played ignore whatever forces I have in the region. If the AI has the resources to attack, they gonna come.