Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Popularity of Three Kingdoms

SlartyBartfast's Avatar Decanus

Default The Popularity of Three Kingdoms

Will the popularity of Three Kingdoms lead to a resurgence of interest in this site and the multitude of amazing mods hidden herein?
    "Huh?"

Miles

Default Re: The Popularity of Three Kingdoms

I don't think so. The "popularity" is mainly because of the chinese buyers. I doubt there will be more traffic and interest in tw games because of it. I believe it would have sold even more if they had translated it into Japanese and also had Japanese voice actors for it.

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

With everything said about the game, I think the game is exceptionally good. The only two issues for me with this game is the fact that you can't play ranked records mod battles and no Avatar Campaign.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

The popularity of the site was due to other factors.

I think this game has low replayability because of generally identical units and factions and a non-native strategic map for European people. But CA marketing works well!
    Last edited by Starsmil; June 10, 2019 at 03:49 AM.

No

Quote Originally Posted by Starsmil View Post
    I think this game has low replayability because of generally identical units and factions and a non-native strategic map for European people. But CA marketing works well!
    Oh if you had followed the marketing you would realise how badly they botched it.
    Literal radio silence for months, followed by character posters that no one cares about and as opposed to the carefully curated marketing footage of Rome 2, the marketing footage for this game showed off the game in its blatantly incomplete, lackluster state. Hell, they even gave the youtubers the incomplete games, nobody thinks it look good enough for release. So much so that they delayed the release by another 3 months. Did I mention that the initial release date for this game is the autumn of 2018?

It is a miracle how well it turned out, the only great piece of marketing is the announcement trailer.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 20, 2022 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Clean-up

TWC became popular thanks to the extreme modability of the earlier games from what I understand. Every game since Shogun 2 have been more difficult to modify with a campaign map that is extremely hard to modify. TW3K is a good game, but I doubt much will change until we get thr modability of RTW and MTW2 back.
    Last edited by Intranetusa; June 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
    TWC became popular thanks to the extreme modability of the earlier games from what I understand. Every game since Shogun 2 have been more difficult to modify with a campaign map that is extremely hard to modify. TW3K is a good game, but I doubt much will change until we get thr modability of RTW and MTW2 back.
    I doubt there'll be any change ever in modability in the RTW style. Furthermore, after the experience of the ToB third patch, I doubt if the games will give any real challenge to the seasoned players. As a matter of fact, the ToB has plenty of potential but it has been dumbed down to the extreemes (see a few thoughts here) and there're no modder really changing it. It seems to me that the modders of these games concentrate on the visual aspects while those strategy-minded migrated to the Paradox games.
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by wis View Post
    I don't think so. The "popularity" is mainly because of the chinese buyers. I doubt there will be more traffic and interest in tw games because of it. I believe it would have sold even more if they had translated it into Japanese and also had Japanese voice actors for it.
    Can we dispel the notion that 3K is only selling in China? Unless someone wants to show me Western-only sale figures with Western-only sale figures of other Total War games to prove me wrong, then this game is at least a popular as the previous games. It hit the highest concurrent number of users in Total War history on Steam - and Steam isn't widely accepted in China.

I remember back in the Rome 1 days and Rome 2 days of thread discussion for people discussing about next Total War games and one on the top of the list had been repeatedly China Total War game. Literally over a decade later and we finally got it. I know it not the same people, but I'm pretty sure if this game came out back then, there would have been more hype here less dissenters.

There are multiple bigger reasons why this forum isn't more active than 3K getting major sales in Asia. Here's a few from the top of my head.

1. Tons of members are still left embittered by Rome 2. I wasn't posting then, but I was lurking. I remember the salt - and deservedly so. I haven't been lurking the entire time after that, but does looks like a lot of steam declined from then.
    2. The Steam Forums, CA Forums, and the subreddit are a lot more lively. Reddit is a lot more bigger now. They are sucking up a lot of new users who looking for a place to discuss.
    3. Independent Bulletin Board Forums are generally on the decline right now. People are just not going for these places. A combination of the zeitgeist, Google's recommendation, and Reddit.
    4. Steam is a lot taking a lot of what people use to come here for Mods.
    5. Feedback loop - if you're a new user, they gravitate to the most active forum.

Each of those are playing bigger factors why the forum is quiet. Though I'm hoping this place is still getting an uptick. As someone who just returned to posting a little after not posting for +10 years, I do wish for this place stay alive.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Here is a meme I made about Rome 2, I think it rankled everyone at the time, however Three Kingdoms was working as expected from launch (apart from multiplayer lobbies missing)
    However I wont be making any "scathing" memes about 3K

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Straw that broke the Camels back!

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by DarkGhost89 View Post
    Can we dispel the notion that 3K is only selling in China? Unless someone wants to show me Western-only sale figures with Western-only sale figures of other Total War games to prove me wrong, then this game is at least a popular as the previous games. It hit the highest concurrent number of users in Total War history on Steam - and Steam isn't widely accepted in China.
    You got Taiwan, Singapore and large overseas Chinese population in other countries.

The glory days of modding are long over on this site. This title has some good new features, but it won't spark any large interest simply because it's a one culture game with limited modding capabilities I.E., no conversion mods. Bannerlord will be where it's at; modders like myself have very little interest in this title.
    Last edited by stevehoos; June 10, 2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

As someone noted, prior to the announcement of 3K China TW was a popular "next" historical title. The game is still popular despite the criticism. It is only among the very small sample size of internet users that you see the criticism.
    The games themselves have always been simplistic. The charm was always the fighting the battle. However, more tactical minded games are now being produced with higher quality.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The place and the era aren't very appealing for western people.

Prompted me to dig up my password and find out. Not that I was ever really an active poster or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pajomife View Post
    The place and the era aren't very appealing for western people.
    You can speak for yourself but not for others, especially not the entirety of "western people."

The game was one of the top (or was the top) selling gaming during its launch week for the US Steam platform. So clearly something did appeal to a lot of Western people.

Even Shogun 2 sold well in the West. And Shogun 2 wasn't even marketed towards East Asian countries because it completely lacked localization & language support for those countries. https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/...ix_e_final.pdf
    Last edited by Intranetusa; June 12, 2019 at 12:49 PM.

I think the popularity is only on the China's side. Official forums are dead aswell on 3Ks part and reddit only has stupid meme posts.
    Kinda sad, since the game is great but there is not much discussions going on about it :S

Quote Originally Posted by Jin- View Post
    I think the popularity is only on the China's side. Official forums are dead aswell on 3Ks part and reddit only has stupid meme posts. Kinda sad, since the game is great but there is not much discussions going on about it :S
    I just checked and the official forums and TW3K seems pretty lively compared to the other games. Most of the first two pages of TW3K's General Discussions' page are filled with new topics created today and yesterday. Compare that to Rome 2's General Discussion section which only has 2 topics created from today or yesterday. Warhammer's General Discussion page only has half of the first page filled with new topics from today or yesterday.

Reddit's totalwar section has always been heavily meme posts. Warhammer reddit posts was like mostly memes.

It's pretty good for a game that has been out for 2 weeks without any post-launch DLCs or big patches yet. Hopefully more traffic will happen once CA fixes multiplayer and releases big DLCs.

For what it is worth, I have not posted on these forums in a very long time, and though I do still play Stainless Steel from time to time, Three Kingdoms is the first Total War since Shogun 2 to actually pique my interests. I likely will not pick it up until the price drops a bit, but it looks good and seems to have generated mostly favorable reviews from critics and players alike. If the mod community finds ways to improve and expand its options, I would think this game could draw in a lot of players, new and old.

This forum should be more popular. As mentioned above, reddit - probably the most popular - is a vacuous meme fest, having driven away a lot of historical players with years of Warhammer mob mentality and downvotes. Also reddit is pretty hostile to this forum and recycles a lot of angst from 2013 to justify that. The Steam and official TW forums are festering swamps of contrarian teenage edgelords.

I will say I was a lurker driven away from TWC by some unappealing nationalist stuff back in the days of Attila. I was really reluctant to return, but pleasantly surprised here.

Give it time. The discussions here are pretty interesting to follow, so maybe a trickle of returning users will build to a torrent.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast