Thread: What do you think about EB1 vis a vis EB2?

Default What do you think about EB1 vis a vis EB2?

Is there anybody who prefers it over the 2nd or would you rather play the 1st? Which do you recommend?

Because honestly im debating between the two and i can't choose, got both pages up ready to download. EB2 is more modern and might have more to its campaign, on the other hand ive played a bit of EB2 before and Med 2's engine when it comes to classical warfare is unwieldy. Infantry take forever to throw their javalins and the cavalry is hard to use for example.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: What do you think about EB1 vis a vis EB2?

There's been discussion on this topic in the EB2 thread, you may search for them.
    Personally, I don't think it makes any point to play EB1 anymore for the stability and AI reasons.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    There's been discussion on this topic in the EB2 thread, you may search for them.
    Personally, I don't think it makes any point to play EB1 anymore for the stability and AI reasons.
    I saw mention of a new update on the horizon for 2 while looking for this topic is it true? Depending on the estimation it might make sense to just play 1 for now, presumably won't be save game compatible.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin N View Post
    I saw mention of a new update on the horizon for 2 while looking for this topic is it true? Depending on the estimation it might make sense to just play 1 for now, presumably won't be save game compatible.
    That's a good point. The next version will bring many changes and won't be save game compatible, might be better to wait some time before downloading EBII.

EB 1 is less historical but more fun to play because rome engine, buildings and the fact that ai expands.
    EB 2 is historical as it tries to be but is less fun to play because every campaign is - killing hordes and hordes of rebels the ai cant deal with and then snowballing because AI is still stuck at their starting region at turn 100