Thread: Zombie question movie to fans'

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Zombie question movie to fans'

I have no particular aversion to horror movies but I cannot say I am much a zombie movie fan - that is post George Romero Zombie movies. That said as far as I know fast or slow - it is the bite that gets yous. Also in many cases some bastion of civilization exists often quite well organized and commanding resources. Yet maybe I'm wrong but again and again Zombies are fought by military or para military units that have come armed for a modern fire fight with the other armies carrying guns... and a not a human bite risk that just needs its head bashed in.

This seems bizarre.

Why because you can buy this

https://neptunic.com/products/sharksuits

Sure this uber tech high end. But sorry if a blue shark can't bit through it Phil the zombie from cubical 2 can't that is for sure. But you could make it cheaper for just human bites.

So question is there an Zombie end of the world movie/show where human bastions properly equip themselves for the fight they face and not shooting communists like they thought they were in Red Dawn?

Any thoughts because when the Zombie apocalypse happens my first stop is my friend in the SCA. Although its worth noting mail is made for police forces in Europe and the industrial slaughter industry and fish processing... so it not like there are not multiple producers who could not be tapped to go all out to make useful armor.
    Last edited by conon394; May 25, 2024 at 12:42 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Zombie question movie to fans'

In a local zombie book (Apocalipsis Z), the first thing the protagonist, an amateur scuba diver, does is put on his wetsuit (and take the harpoon, disadvantages of gun-free Europe).

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

you can easily make chainmail shirt with wires and pliers found in trash dump, reinforced with metal dish plates and trays.

And fishnets. Zombies would break teeth trying to chew them.
    Last edited by AqD; May 25, 2024 at 07:38 PM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Why not just break into the museum and take full knight armor? ^^
    You can even sleep in the same room the zombies are, then rise up and leave.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Why not just break into the museum and take full knight armor? ^^
    You can even sleep in the same room the zombies are, then rise up and leave.
    Well yes that would work although you need to be fit and probably under 5'10" to get the right fit and it does seem overkill. Finding and feeding the 17 hands charger is going to a be more difficult

Last edited by conon394; May 26, 2024 at 06:33 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC Consul
    Moderator Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus spy of the council Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

This really deserves the nerd answer

So, I personally like, for credibility if we want to use this term, the Z Nation show. There's the Virus Z, which is clearly man made, it's extremely contagious, and everybody is infected, but it won't kick on until you die... which means that if you die of any other cause than being bitten by zombies, you are still rising again in few seconds. For this reason, they "give mercy" to any fresh dead and zombies alike by shooting or smashing their heads. So, being bitten by zombies is just a small part of the problem, we can say that the Zombies only try to accelerate the process by killing people as soon as possible, but in the end everybody will be turned, and that's why the show is centered around making a vaccine asap .. rings any bell?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Z-Nation looks really cheap, like some cutscene from C&C Red Alert
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Blog Entries

Z-Nation looks really cheap, like some cutscene from C&C Red Alert
    You take that back, it's the best written show about Zombies, hands down. But yes, some high end CGIs are poor, but who cares? I have grown up with monsters made with playdough and blood made with marmalade, I can bear a bad CGI here and there.. and you know what? Actually the fact that they made a good script without the need for excessive CGI makes me like it even more. Their only mistake was to try to squeeze it too much, they should have closed it at season 5, IMO.

Backing to the matter of armors

@AqD, have you ever tried to make an armor? Because I did, and I failed miserably. Armorer was a profession people trained for years for, it's not like making a cardboard armor

Also, even the most well protected knight could be dragged down and then be killed by 4-5 peasants with rusty knives.. no armor will protect completely your body (unless you wear something fantasy like the Power armor ) and zombies seem to prefer to attack in group, drag people down and then chew them at their convenience.

@Conon, the point you have risen about the army still stands, but I'm not really bothered by the armors, rather by the fact that they have tanks, choppers, jets and who know what else, but they don't seem to be using them efficiently or at all, which is dumb. As far as I know the justification, in good shows such as Z Nation, is that the Zombies outburst in a way that prevent any effective centralize reaction, which in turn lead to the fast collapse of the military due to disruption of the chain of command and no real pre-set plan for a situation like a Zombiepocalipse.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

At least the "anyone who dies, regardless of how, turns into a zombie" is a more serious premise than "you only become a zombie if bitten, but still for some reason zombies defeat the military"

Blog Entries

At least the "anyone who dies, regardless of how, turns into a zombie" is a more serious premise than "you only become a zombie if bitten, but still for some reason zombies defeat the military"
    I concur, that's why I liked Z Nation.. ATL it makes some sense, even though if one looks at who created the virus, it makes a bit of a less sense. The Man is also an overpowered character, only created to replace the Zombie menace once the vaccine was ready.. kinda meh TBH (but the acting from Joseph Gatt was pretty good none the less).

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I have no particular aversion to horror movies but I cannot say I am much a zombie movie fan - that is post George Romero Zombie movies. That said as far as I know fast or slow - it is the bite that gets yous. Also in many cases some bastion of civilization exists often quite well organized and commanding resources. Yet maybe I'm wrong but again and again Zombies are fought by military or para military units that have come armed for a modern fire fight with the other armies carrying guns... and a not a human bite risk that just needs its head bashed in.
    This seems bizarre.
    Why because you can buy this
    https://neptunic.com/products/sharksuits
    Sure this uber tech high end. But sorry if a blue shark can't bit through it Phil the zombie from cubical 2 can't that is for sure. But you could make it cheaper for just human bites.
    So question is there an Zombie end of the world movie/show where human bastions properly equip themselves for the fight they face and not shooting communists like they thought they were in Red Dawn?
    Any thoughts because when the Zombie apocalypse happens my first stop is my friend in the SCA. Although its worth noting mail is made for police forces in Europe and the industrial slaughter industry and fish processing... so it not like there are not multiple producers who could not be tapped to go all out to make useful armor.
    No need for such scarcely found armor options. You could create a zombie-resistant armor using simple materials with a readily available duct tape. However, that's not the main idea. It often starts with disbelief in the idea that zombies could exist and that people are overconfident that they can handle the walking dead without any external help. It ends up creating a snow ball effect where the moment people realize the gravity of the situation its too late for them to act. Consider a stampede event. No zombies needed. No matter how well you're prepared for it you're gonna get crushed under the sheer weight of ordinary people. There is little you can do against that. Only the survivors of that initial shock would be left to continue. At that point you can explore a number of options. I would certainly enjoy watching a phalanx formation working against a horde of zombies. TWD touched a bit on medieval tactics with groups working with spears and shields but it didn't work too well. When combined with incoming zombies and opportunist raider with a rifle medieval fighting units can become easy targets for sniping.

Have you watched the Korean series Kingdom? It depicts a much more realistic response to a zombie event.
    The Armenian Issue

Lately I have been playing They are Billions again, and even there the zombie thread is pretty unrealistic. But you don't have tanks, and have to research stuff (I guess people simply forgot how to build stone walls, as if we are in the depths of prehistory ) for even basic abilities.
    It's a pretty silly game - no tanks, but you can in the end build mechas - and the zombies still have a lot more strength than they should, let alone include giants.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Pretty much every Zombie movie/series/book mentions the obligatory 'military' last stand/fight back, they all agree sheer weight of numbers coupled with the hopelessness of knowing thier own families and loved ones are in danger are the catalists for eventual breakdown of resistence. That and the finite supplies/amunition every army needs to keep fighting.

You only need look at how people behaved during Covid to see law breaks down within days. Infection spreads, people try to flee or isolate, food runs out, water becomes scarce.

World War Z deals with a sudden outbreak and human behaviour in such a desperate scramble to survive in large cities, the movies ends with a fightback across the world, though they only show glimpses of that. Black Summer deals with a more rural setting and how the living quickly isolate themselves. The Walking Dead (before it became a **** show) gives a look at both settings neither workout well for the protagonists. Fear The Walking Dead actually shows a suburb being guarded by the military, until it becomes obviously hopeless. 28 Days later (though not strictly a Zombie flick) shows a breakdown of command in a unit who decide to look after themselves. 28 Weeks Later, shows an attempt to take a city back, which fails. I Am Legend (Zombie/Vampires), another attempt at containment, which fails. Last Train to Busan, military is over run in seconds, though they do rally at the end of the movie.

Assuming this isn't a virus that turns you into a zombie through the air or through death in general (that is through death not involving being bitten by a zombie), then I don't see how the military wouldn't at worst secure some land and defend it forever. Even a basic moat would be enough if you have the means to produce large quantities of something like sulfuric acid. Zombies don't even use guns, they'd lose to the army if they have no element of surprise.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

That falls under the 'how long can the military function as a military when the wider scenario is hopeless.' All military is based on the basis of fighting for something. When that's under threat, desertion, insurection, outright mutiney become a major problem.

Boils down to one fact, they'll run out of bullets long before they run out of Zombies.

They can defend some area that has relevant industry and mines

Blog Entries

They can defend some area that has relevant industry and mines
    I guess you don't have any military experience, do you? Not to be a pussy, but anyone who served in an actual army knows that the chain of command is incredibly stupid. One would imagine that army people are well trained individuals, and that's true, but they are also indoctrinated into not taking any independent decision aka obeying orders. You know why Roman legions were so effective? Because they were trained, generals and officials alike, to be independent and to take decisions day by day according to the situation, I'm sure there are a few modern military units that are trained to do the same, but they still depend on the chain of command to initiate any operation.. expecting that any commanding officer will take any independent decision in a non contemplated situation is a none sense, they are SPECIFICALLY trained to hold the position, when not having any other direct order. That's the nature of moderm military, which might prove very effective against humans, but which is absolutely a disgrace in any zombie like scenario.

Now, I think I've gone wayyyy to far into this analysis, it's just fiction after all; also my pardon if my tone sounded pretentious, I didn't have lunch yet

Hey, I am closer to Archimedes than to Achilles (which doesn't have to mean I am actually close to Archimedes :o ).
    Speaking of Archimedes, even with pre-calculus you could design machines that throw heavy stuff at the zombies with very good accuracy