Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTW Remastered: What would you do with a 38 faction limit?

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default RTW Remastered: What would you do with a 38 faction limit?

With the remaster coming close and a relatively solid rumor about a 38 faction limit it would be fun to speculate a bit.

Vanilla:

Julli
    Brutii
    Scipii
    Senate
    Egyptians
    The Seleucid Empire
    Carthage
    Parthia
    Gaul
    Germania
    Britannia
    The Greek Cities
    Macedon
    Pontus
    Armenia
    Thracia
    Spain
    Numidia
    Scythians
    Dacians

Plus slaves.

Personally, my reworked list would be:

Senate (to retain the mission system)
    Romans
    Ptolemaic Empire
    Seleucid Empire
    Carthage
    Numidia
    Parthia
    Germanic tribes
    Macedon
    Pontus
    Armenia
    Thracia
    Dacians
    Spain
    Britons
    Scythians
    Sarmatians
    Taxila/India
    Saka
    Tocharians
    Massalia
    Bosporan Kingdom
    Pergamum
    Galatians
    Saba
    Nabateans
    Bythinia
    Cyrene
    Baktria
    Aedui
    Averni

Epirus
    Celtiberians
    Sparta
    Athens
    Rhodes
    Free slot for a 2nd senate-like or rebel faction
    Slave faction slot

What would you like to see with such a raised faction limit?
    Last edited by Zarax; April 14, 2021 at 02:02 PM. Reason: duplicates
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Default Re: RTW Remastered: What would you do with a 38 faction limit?

The 38 playable factions actually include Barbarian Invasion and Alexander factions. It doesnt refer to the faction limit.

They did say that faction limits have been extended along with map regions but last time i checked they didnt say any numbers.

What actually annoys me about both Rome games is "Trebuchets in the field battle". They were used for siege warfare not in a field battle. So they should only be available at a siege just like the ladders, rams and siege towers. Or it should be an attribute for certain generals to be able to build them at a siege.
    No more pulling these things around on battle fields. It's ridiculous.

Btw. Rome I is the best. I'm looking forward to the game. And the mods.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    The 38 playable factions actually include Barbarian Invasion and Alexander factions. It doesnt refer to the faction limit.

They did say that faction limits have been extended along with map regions but last time i checked they didnt say any numbers.
    Point taken, however it would be good to know which factions players would like to see... More settlements imho would go towards expanding the map east.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Decanus

As already mentioned I don't think the faction limit has been revealed, we just know it's been increased. As for what I'd like to see, the Greek Cities split into Athens, Sparta and Syracuse at a minimum, along with Illyria added (this should be easy since there are many leftovers from this faction in the files, I believe), split the Gauls and Spanish into some separate tribes along with Germania.

The thing with Rome I, though, is if too many factions are added, the balance of the game becomes a problem. Rome II tried to negate this by giving minor factions absurd bonuses to income so a 1 city tribe could field 3 full stacks. If the whole map is full of tiny factions, I fear Rome and Carthage could steamroll more than they already tend to.

Kind regards,
    SKSlave

Foederatus

I'd probably add some of the BI factions to RTW along with at least some of the units. And will probably also add some other factions like Frisia, Epirus, the Bactrians, Illirians, Arab Tribes (because why not and I have a faction to fill up that otherwise empty corner down there). Maybe even some weirder stuff like the Persians from Alex (I'm not going for 100% historically correct).
    I'll probably also unite the Romans and split up the Gauls and change ownership of some of the settlements.
    I also would want to expand the map eastwards (kinda already done by Mundus Magnus) and northward if only because I never liked the cut off in the north and I want to put at least one germanic faction there.

It will come down to how moddable the new campaign map will be. If possible, I'd like to play on an even larger campaign map that is perhaps about twice as stretched out so some areas like Greece wouldn't need to feel so crowded anymore.

All wishful thinking of course provided some of the hardcoded limits will remain in place.

jrs90's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Letalis View Post
    I'd probably add some of the BI factions to RTW along with at least some of the units. And will probably also add some other factions like Frisia, Epirus, the Bactrians, Illirians, Arab Tribes (because why not and I have a faction to fill up that otherwise empty corner down there). Maybe even some weirder stuff like the Persians from Alex (I'm not going for 100% historically correct).
    I'll probably also unite the Romans and split up the Gauls and change ownership of some of the settlements.
    I also would want to expand the map eastwards (kinda already done by Mundus Magnus) and northward if only because I never liked the cut off in the north and I want to put at least one germanic faction there.

It will come down to how moddable the new campaign map will be. If possible, I'd like to play on an even larger campaign map that is perhaps about twice as stretched out so some areas like Greece wouldn't need to feel so crowded anymore.

All wishful thinking of course provided some of the hardcoded limits will remain in place.
    This is the biggest potential impact of this release. What is the new Hard-coded limits? I know its wishful but if you can mod it to split the factions into tribes like 2, this has the modding potential to be a greater campaign than any total released ever.
    Wishful maybe, but if it can be done to split the Germans into subi, macroni, saxon, greek into leagues or city-states, britons into iceni etc, it will be immense.

A large swath of factions with the mod-ability of the campaign map of the old games will make me ecstatic. I hate how arcadey the sieges are in the new one with ladders on wheels for godsakes.

It may be too much but please let these new hard-coded limits be huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano Taverna View Post
    Oh we lost our minds long before that, 2009 was the year we finally took a pistol to our temple and pulled the trigger.

Wasnt there also a culture limit? Like eastern, roman, greek, barbarian and...? I cant remember. This was also pretty limiting on the modding front.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by exi123 View Post
    Wasnt there also a culture limit? Like eastern, roman, greek, barbarian and...? I cant remember. This was also pretty limiting on the modding front.
    Yes. Iirc 6 are used and 7 is the max?
    The total number of climates and max map size are just a few of the other things which are quite limited. A lot of stuff is also very limited, like how tech trees in RTW work or even the spawnrate of marriage proposals which is totally hardcoded afaik.

With 38 factions I would erase the "Greek Cities" and I would create several Greek factions. The game also needs more barbarian tribes instead of generic "Gauls, Germans and Spain". The Iberian Peninsula needs at least two barbarian tribes: one to represent the Celts/Celtiberians in the northwest and another one to represent the Iberians in the Southeast.
    Some Rebel settlements can also be replaced for real factions. Yes, Epirus, I’m looking at you.

ithinkitsdead's Avatar Semisalis

I'm still waiting on a hard limit, since we don't have that info.

It would be great if they would say exactly what the limits for regions, factions, cultures, units actually were.

Well for starters the 38 playable factions just refers to the total amount of playable factions across all 3 campaigns (RTW, BI and Alexander)
    We don't know what the new limit is since Feral claims to have done quite a bit of work to ensure the faction/region limits aren't as restrictive this time. I, for one, am certainly looking forward to seeing what modders will be able to do with the updated engine.

But to answer OP's question I'm actually more interested in what you'd be able to do in Barbarian Invasion. I've always felt that while Barbarian Invasion is a conceptually interesting campaign it has far too little unique factions. There's not enough in-fighting among all the smaller tribes and in the vanilla Barbarian Invasion campaign some factions like the Sassanids and Berbers can end up going through the entire game while only fighting one other faction.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkitsdead View Post
    I'm still waiting on a hard limit, since we don't have that info.

It would be great if they would say exactly what the limits for regions, factions, cultures, units actually were.
    Melkor streamed a couple hours ago and mentioned the faction limit is now 31. So 10 more factions can be added without removing one first.
    Link to vod (from around 14:00)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4KQ-eYF4sw

LewisVee's Avatar Semisalis

Melkor streamed a couple hours ago and mentioned the faction limit is now 31. So 10 more factions can be added without removing one first.
    Quite gutted because thats lower than what i hoped, hopefully increase this in the future. Thanks for the link!

Very disappointed by the 31 faction limit, just as much as in Medieval II. I see no reason to play this game over Med2 just for a little bit fancier graphics

31 is still more than enough to make a 200 settlements map fairly populated.
    That said, I hope we will find out the region limit has been bumped to 255...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

So they expect me to re-buy a 17 years old game which I already own just for better graphics and only 10 more factions which by the way they didn't even bother adding and I would have to make myself? Not to mention the UX and UI that are clearly made for mobile, which is unacceptable for a pc game. Well,

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    31 is still more than enough to make a 200 settlements map fairly populated.
    That said, I hope we will find out the region limit has been bumped to 255...
    That's basically my train of thoughts. And 31 is still 10 better than 21 and along the other improvements it does offer some new avenues of moddability.
    I'm also hoping for a (significant!) increase in the maximum number of regions, but a bigger campaign map is also something I'd want to see. I'm literally waiting for this info to become available before planning my mod for the remaster as I have several ways of doing things depending on what the new limits will be.

31 factions is far less than I had hoped for, but I guess we'll have to make due. It should still be enough to add a sufficient amount of factions that can make for more interesting gameplay.
    I'm curious about the limit on regions though. If I recall correctly the vanilla campaign has around 100 regions while the engine is capable of handling up to around 200(?). 200 is already a solid amount but if the remastered engine is capable of going beyond that amount then that's even better.

31 is really meager, almost an insult. Still useful for modders but very disappointing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast