Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

For those who are interested to get the factions' english names back, for clarity, I've merged the "Faction Names back to English 0.9.6" thread created by Nemesis2345 with the "Faction names back to normal English form" in the Mini-Mods subforum and originally created by Asparagus.Unfortunately, durting the process, the link didn't work as expected. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

I am enjoying the new patch; the education system seems to be working (see below) and the teenager trait is visible. The provincial title system is a nice touch too. I am playing as the Capet dynasty currently and am enjoying putting in the efforts to maintain a stable dynasty.

I have a few questions on traits and ancillaries.

1.) Is the first level of the Admin Education trait supposed to be hidden? I cannot see the "Schooled" trait in my generals, although I can see the "BA" trait when it appears.

2.) A technical question on the acquisition of traits. I do not understand the spreadsheet JoC posted on February 03, 2020, 02:48 PM documenting the education system.
    By my reading (and I do not have modding experience), in the "export_descr_character_traits" file, education is probabilistic and not deterministic. For example, (lines 35049 - 35061) a school alone provides a 10 percent chance a normal, admin minded teenager will gain an education level each turn (and schools can only provide a single education level). This means that after 12 turns of uninterrupted education, the teenager will have a ~72% chance (1-(0.9)^12) of gaining the "schooled" trait and will be unable to gain a "BA". Am I understanding the file/education system correctly?

3.) What is a "skewed view" and how do I prevent it?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_TotalWar View Post
    1.) Is the first level of the Admin Education trait supposed to be hidden? I cannot see the "Schooled" trait in my generals, although I can see the "BA" trait when it appears.

2.) A technical question on the acquisition of traits. I do not understand the spreadsheet JoC posted on February 03, 2020, 02:48 PM documenting the education system.
    By my reading (and I do not have modding experience), in the "export_descr_character_traits" file, education is probabilistic and not deterministic. For example, (lines 35049 - 35061) a school alone provides a 10 percent chance a normal, admin minded teenager will gain an education level each turn (and schools can only provide a single education level). This means that after 12 turns of uninterrupted education, the teenager will have a ~72% chance (1-(0.9)^12) of gaining the "schooled" trait and will be unable to gain a "BA". Am I understanding the file/education system correctly?

3.) What is a "skewed view" and how do I prevent it?
    1) no, it seems I need to code it differently. I wanted the description the same for any faction, so it's used 3 times - and the description seems not to working (but the very mechanism behind it - does). I'll fix the description it in the next patch, sorry.
    2) Each turn he's got 10% probability to get a point. For the Schooled he needs 1 point (for BA 3). If at any time he'd get the 3 rd point, then the probability is 0% for the next one. I usually present probabilities in the simplified way so 12 times 10% gives 120% (1,2) in the table.
    3) Skewed View is the first level of Deranged that depicts adverse consequences of killing people (and other bloody events, like assassination attempt) on one's sanity. Well, don't kill people. But the TW game is about killing after all, so it's uninteded to appear so often as you reported (and somebody else already reported it, I think). Do you really experienced it a lot? In what situations? I'll review the probabilities, I think this issue may play a role.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 26, 2020 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowtwinz View Post
    @Jurand of Cracow I have a concern about Agent "Health" trait managing. My agents every turn need manual check to avoid Loss of Health or in other words Illness. And in order to solve it after they get Ill i have to move my agent to the settlement :/ . If neglected they eventualy lose their movement points to 1% and there is nothing you can do once it happens. Can something be done about it ? Whats the idea behind it ? Was it made to favour AI in some way ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi Shadow, I'll look into the issue and answer you once I'll be back home (some one week time).
    The trait was not made to favour the AI but rather to make the player care for his agents.
    By "manual check" you mean there's no information about an agent losing health?
    In any case it should not happen so often.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    JoC
    Hi shadowtwinz,
    coming back to you:
    I think the problem of the Agent's health was as I've put it in this thread. It should hopefully be fixed.

Hey team, I was wondering if you guys have a bibliography anywhere that lists the research materials the mod members have used? I'd be interested in reading up on some of the areas at this time, and I assume there are lots of good resources the team have used, and I'd love there to be a thread that puts that all together. Just a small thought.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Hey team, I was wondering if you guys have a bibliography anywhere that lists the research materials the mod members have used? I'd be interested in reading up on some of the areas at this time, and I assume there are lots of good resources the team have used, and I'd love there to be a thread that puts that all together. Just a small thought.
    I don't think we've got such a list. I think there's so many books that it wouldn't make much sense. I think we need to collect information on the precise issues relevant to the mod - and we're doing it in the sub-forum related to the factions and topics.

Besides, I think the best book on the Middle Ages that was an enlightement to me is Chris Wickham's one.

Blog Entries

One was created in the Stainless Steel main forum a few years back
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

This conforms to my observations: very aggressive CAI (ie moving armies around and attacking enemies) and very soft diplomatic AI (making peaces is easy). Perhaps changes to the standing of factions caused the latter, while the former is the usual (and welcome) SSHIP behaviour.
    Would the aggressive CAI affect the AI into breaking alliances? In my current byzantine campaign I've been allied with serbia for 20+ turns until they abruptly attacked one of my poorly defended settlements. So-so relations before then, though they had no more room to expand at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eodez View Post
    Would the aggressive CAI affect the AI into breaking alliances? In my current byzantine campaign I've been allied with serbia for 20+ turns until they abruptly attacked one of my poorly defended settlements. So-so relations before then, though they had no more room to expand at the time.
    Frankly speaking, I don't know.
    How is your campaign going in other aspects?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eodez View Post
    It works that way most of the time and for most of the mods. If you leave a settlement almost without any garrison, there's a big chance that the AI will attack it soon or later, no matter how your relation is with the attacker

Hi, is there any plan for late era campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by koray View Post
    Hi, is there any plan for late era campaign?
    There're plans 10 years ago and there'll be plans in 10 years time.
    Seriously: if you want to play late era then play better The Italian Wars submod.
    I doubt the late era will ever be ready, not enough modders are active.

Thanks for the answer.

Do I need melooo bugfix compilation?

Quote Originally Posted by koray View Post
    Do I need melooo bugfix compilation?
    Absolutely not, it'd break the mod.

I've just recently downloaded this submod, and it looks very nice - great work!

Is there a simple way for me to reduce the cost of watch towers?

Quote Originally Posted by Norkus View Post
    I've just recently downloaded this submod, and it looks very nice - great work!

Is there a simple way for me to reduce the cost of watch towers?
    It's in the descr_cultures.txt, iirc.

It's in the descr_cultures.txt, iirc.
    It was very easy to fix, thank you!

Now there is a different problem: the game always crashed on turn 2. I have tried different factions, everty time with the same result. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Norkus; March 07, 2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Norkus View Post
    It was very easy to fix, thank you!

Now there is a different problem: the game always crashed on turn 2. I have tried different factions, everty time with the same result. Any ideas?
    After you changes? I don't know what you've done... I think without changes it would work.

After you changes? I don't know what you've done... I think without changes it would work.
    Very likely! I am an inexperienced "modder"... :-)
    What I did was to change the cost from 1000 to 100. Then the cost went down, but should I have changed anything else?

I have changed it back again now, but it still crashes on turn 2.

I'll try to install the submod once again, and see if it works then