Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    - Lithuanian priests. Only the starting one is a Shaman, all the others are named as High Priests it seems. Besides, hovering on them on the strategic map gives a bugged localization name. Furthermore, they seem to gain Piety MUCH slower than Christian priests.

- Norwergian FL seems to be bugged concerning marriage. Despite starting single, he got the trait Danish Wife. Furthermore, after I eventually did marry a Danish princess, new debutantes kept showing up for him, allowing him to marry again, losing all the wife's previous traits, maybe except for Danish Wife. I also don't recall he actually having kids with the princess, but their marriage only lasted a few turns so...
    Lithuania:
    - I wonder how should we call them? Shaman is the term applied to the an American Indians? Or not only?
    - Nevertheless, I've asked Lifthrasir what should be changed so that all pagan priests would be called shaman.
    - Obviously, they get slower Piety because they have half of the traits as the christian priests do... I think slower conversion by pagans is somehow historical. However, I think the provinces in this region should have much less christians than they do. Eg. in Poland there should be less - I've written about it in the thread devoted to Poland.

Norwegian FL - it seems a problem under the hood, not in the traits I deal with. No idea why it may happen. I hope it's just accidental.

While I do understand that Lithuanians would be unlikely to convert Christian provinces to paganism, the pathetic rates they get at their own provinces is worrisome on itself. So either you guys make them better at converting at least Baltic and other pagan provinces, or give them something to make low religion majority more tolerable strategy and trait-wise, like some region-restricted building giving "province modifiers" like we see in EB2.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

"bugged localization name (priest)" - needs an entry in expanded.txt corresponding to the level in descr_characters:

{EMT_faction_PRIEST_level}Your text here

Ever since I tried to change the era I have been getting CTDs on start up of the mod. Here's the log

14:19:41.131 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    14:19:41.131 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    14:19:41.131 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    14:19:41.131 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    14:19:41.131 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    14:19:41.131 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    14:19:41.131 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    14:19:41.131 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    14:19:45.485 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 168, column 32
    Invalid ownership type 'rum' found in unit 'baghlah'.
    14:19:45.485 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

That's because you have run the SS setup again. As specified in the installation instructions, choose early era and savage AI when you run the SS setup and don't ever run it again

Then, you need to re-install SSHIP. To access to the other era campaign, you directly choose in the game menu.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; January 21, 2020 at 12:14 PM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Hi there, my game crashes during turn 72 - specifically when it's the rebels turn. Here's the log

13:02:04.649 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack13:02:04.650 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    13:02:04.651 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    13:02:04.652 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    13:02:04.652 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    13:02:04.653 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    13:02:09.227 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 12453, column 120
    unit(Arab Cavalry) does not match up to the ownership for faction(abbasid)
    13:02:09.227 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 12453, column 120
    unit(Arab Cavalry) does not match up to the ownership for faction(turks)
    unit(Arab Cavalry) does not match up to the ownership for faction(rum)
    13:02:09.228 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 12481, column 120
    unit(Arab Cavalry) does not match up to the ownership for faction(abbasid)
    13:02:09.228 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 12481, column 120
    unit(Arab Cavalry) does not match up to the ownership for faction(turks)
    unit(Arab Cavalry) does not match up to the ownership for faction(rum)
    13:02:09.407 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 9283, column 23
    Could'n find effect description string for trait(Conqueror_Kiev_Others) level(Conqueror_Others_effects_desc).
    13:02:18.103 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running. Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.
    13:03:54.064 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Version 9.6 and latest patch installed.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMZ View Post
    Hi there, my game crashes during turn 72 - specifically when it's the rebels turn. Here's the log

Version 9.6 and latest patch installed.
    To be sure: also the file a few entries before #2717 (that Serbia-TO problem, I've described)?

The errors in the log don't tell anything imo - the game work with them and the crash occurs much later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    To be sure: also the file a few entries before #2717 (that Serbia-TO problem, I've described)?

The errors in the log don't tell anything imo - the game work with them and the crash occurs much later.
    I checked that and it didn't change anything. After many tries, it seems it crashes right after the garison of Chernigov (rebel) sallies and is defeated by the Rus... no idea if it's related but that might help- I even went back 4 turns to my previous save, and the crash still happens at the same moment. It's a pitty as I was having a lot of fun with this update..

Quote Originally Posted by MattMZ View Post
    I checked that and it didn't change anything. After many tries, it seems it crashes right after the garison of Chernigov (rebel) sallies and is defeated by the Rus... no idea if it's related but that might help- I even went back 4 turns to my previous save, and the crash still happens at the same moment. It's a pitty as I was having a lot of fun with this update..
    Could you change in the default.cfg file from error to trace, so that it looks like this:
    ;level=* error
    level=* trace

and then post here the log?

I'm literally having the exact same problem. My Novgord campaign crashes on 72 with the same log.
    I also went back 5 turns and it crashed again.
    I played a campaign as the Franks until turn 90 something before this and it kept crashing, so I reinstalled because I thought maybe the patch muckied the game.
    I can't play 0.96 without these rebel turn CTDs ruining the game, unfortunately. I assume there is a problem regarding the player faction in the script. I hope we can resolve it soon because I love this mod and if I can help in anyway let me know How.

I do not think my previous messaged posted, so I will try again, lol.

My game is also crashing on turn 72, log is identical to MattMZ's.

Initially, I had been playing a game as the Franks, but it crashed on turn 90 something at the end the rebel turn and the beginning of mine. Assuming this was caused by using the latest patch and it muckied up my game I reinstalled and started a game as Novgorod. It's frustrating, but relieving I am not alone. If I can help let me know what to do, thanks

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    14:31:25.441 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <HealthDiagnosisAdoption> fired
    14:31:25.441 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Military_Adoption> fired
    14:31:25.466 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worthy_Of_Adoption_Military_Ed> fired
    14:31:25.466 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worthy_Of_Adoption_Military_Trigger1> fired
    14:31:25.466 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worthy_Of_Adoption_Military_Trigger2> fired
    14:31:25.466 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worthy_Of_Adoption_Military_Trigger3> fired
    14:31:25.466 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worth_of_Adoption_General_Loyalty> fired
    14:31:25.467 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worth_of_Adoption_loyalty_2> fired
    14:31:25.467 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worth_of_Adoption_loyalty_3> fired
    14:31:25.467 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worth_of_Adoption_loyalty_4> fired
    14:31:25.467 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worth_of_Adoption_piety_1> fired
    14:31:25.467 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worth_of_Adoption_piety_4> fired
    14:31:25.467 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Worth_of_Adoption_chiv_1> fired
    14:31:25.633 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/ui/eastern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga
    14:31:25.633 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/eastern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga.dds
    14:31:25.634 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/eastern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga
    14:31:25.634 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/ui/eastern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga.dds
    14:31:25.634 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/ui/eastern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga
    14:31:25.634 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga
    14:31:25.634 [system.io] [trace] exists: 1047: caching directory: data/ui/southern_european/eventpics
    14:31:25.634 [system.io] [info] exists: directory non-existant: data/ui/southern_european/eventpics
    14:31:25.634 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga.dds
    14:31:25.635 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga
    14:31:25.635 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga.dds
    14:31:25.635 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/SETTLEMENT_PUBLIC_ORDER_GARRISON_INFO.tga
    14:31:25.635 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/SS6.3/data/ui/eastern_european/eventpics/historic_event.tga
    14:31:25.635 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/eastern_european/eventpics/historic_event.tga.dds
    14:31:25.635 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/ui/eastern_european/eventpics/historic_event.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    14:31:25.706 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by Leonardo; January 24, 2020 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Posts merged and spoiler added.

Blog Entries

Can you try to remove the fog of war (consol command: toggle_fow) and choose follow the AI movements in the game menu. you'll be able to see what the AI is doing in real time when the game crashes. Note that it takes time but if the ctd is due to a character or an army, you should be able to spot it
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

@Cephalophore, @MattMZ - please post your pre-crash saves, we'll take a look.

Hello, I have followed this video: https://youtu.be/MiCsIcq0hao (with the new version of SHIP), but with the SSHIP download, I didn't get the installer so I am unsure of what to do.

Hopefully, I attached these correctly - I am technologically illiterate.

Attached is my save file for the Novgorodian turn 72 crash, and my earlier crash as the Franks.

I have toggled FOW and followed the AI movement. There is a heretic, "Boguslaw" in the Sahara on an "island" in the desert I thought was perhaps causing the crash in the Novgd. Campaign. Upon moving him to Siberia, there was no change.
    in the Franks Campaign there is a heretic named "Bernard" in Scotland that always crashes after his turn, but seemingly before mine.

I do not know if the crashes are related to the same problem, but I have taken the liberty to attach both in the hopes it may help diagnose the issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirasa View Post
    Hello, I have followed this video: https://youtu.be/MiCsIcq0hao (with the new version of SHIP), but with the SSHIP download, I didn't get the installer so I am unsure of what to do.
    Welcome along these forums.
    If you refer to the last SSHIP version (this one), there's no installer. The installer was made for a previous version. After you have installed SS6.3 and SS6.4 and have run the setup, just unzip the SSHIP file and merge the obtained data folder with the one in your SS6.3 folder.

Thanks, Cephalophore! I'll have a look.

Can you do me favour? I'm modding the education traits and I've prepared a guide for it. Can you proof-read it for me?
    Military Education.

Military Education provides a general with very valuable military skills. It has four levels: Soldier Training, Officer Training, General Training and Commander-in-Chief Training. The first two (and, exceptionally, the third one) can be acquired by teenagers studying in the castles. Two higher levels require usually real military experience in the battles and some further studying. Don’t forget however that the main way to get this type of education is by fighting battles!

Any general spending a whole turn in a castle-type settlement can get the Military Education. Military Minded teenagers will be trained very efficiently, while the Administrative oriented ones may get only basic martial skills (Soldier Training, in very rare cases Officer). The higher the level of the castle, the better. The “Born to Command” or “Born Conqueror” youngsters may easily get the Officer Training here, while in rare cases even the General’s one. There’re maximum levels that can be attained: if a youngster attains the Officer Training in a Wooden Castle, there’s no point to train him further unless he’s got exceptional skills (Natural Commander or better ). Similarly, in Castle, Fortress and Citadel the maximum is the General Training – with exception for those with good skills (Talent for Command, Natural Commander or better) in the Citadels. So once you’ve got message of a general attaing a level of training, he might be ready for fight before he passes age of 20.

This means that training in a citadel with many military buildings is the most efficient. This is especially true if the guilds - and even better their master levels – are present in the castle. Father’s traits have a significant impact on education, and good natural military skills (ie Talent for Command, Natural Commander or better), positive cognitive traits (Smart or better), ancillaries (like Tutor or Mentor or military book) also count. On the other hand, being not fit physically or mentally may thwart education.

Once a general matures, he should go for war and get the hands-on experience. This will give him additional Military Education but also prepares him for further studies. If he becomes Aspiring or Proven Commander, Great or Renown Victor, he can complement education at a fortresses or a citadel, spending a few turns there. However, if he’s older than 50, or not fit physically or mentally, he is not able to get this education.

During his life any general can learn things or two also from other sources – reading a Military Book or living in a settlement with a guild may help, if he’s endowed with natural military skills. On the other hand, after he passes 55, he’s likely to slowly forget his training due to the old age and ensuing senility.

Pagan Education

Pagan Education provides pagan generals with valuable military and administrative skills. It’s available for the Lithuanians and the Cumans. It has four levels: Basic, Standard, Advanced, Master. Pagans get their education as teenagers by studying (ie spending a few whole turns) in their settlements where their shrines are built: altars, sanctuaries and temples (the bigger, the better). Alternatively, staying (ie spending a few whole turns) in the wild may help a bit. The higher levels of education are acquired easier by the administratively minded generals or those with natural military skills (ie those “Born to Command” or “Born Conqueror). Keep in mind that all generals (especially those military minded) can get the same knowledge by fighting battles!

Thank you very much, just had to start the SS Launcher, I had it confused with a copy of SS Setup, much appreciated once again

@Cephalophore - I was able to run the French game past turn 92 - see pic, it's from 93 (and it goes further as well).
    Given that the first event on that turn was the Teutonic Order emerges, it seems to me you haven't applied this patch.

On the other hand, the Novogrodian is not possible to run. You've save it after the end of the turn, so I even cannot take off the fog :-(

My apologies, Jurand. I seemed to have added the incorrect save file, here is the correct one. I have multiple saves, this is before the end turn.

Also, I have proofread your Education and Traits thing. I only had to make minor changes, with the exception of the use of Cuman, which I have always referred to as the Kipchaks or the Cuman-Kipchak Confederation. It is just a matter of preference, I suppose.

Military Education.

Military Education provides a general with very valuable military skills. It has four levels: Soldier Training, Officer Training, General Training and Commander-in-Chief Training. The first two (and, exceptionally, the third one) can be acquired by teenagers studying in the castles. Two higher levels usually require real military experience in the battles and some further studying. Don’t forget however that the main way to get this type of education is by fighting battles!

Any general spending a whole turn in a castle-type settlement can get the Military Education. Military Minded teenagers will be trained very efficiently, while the Administrative oriented ones may get only basic martial skills (Soldier Training, in very rare cases Officer). The higher the level of the castle, the better. The “Born to Command” or “Born Conqueror” youngsters may easily get the Officer Training here, while in rare cases even the General’s one. There are maximum levels that can be attained: if a youngster attains the Officer Training in a Wooden Castle, there’s no point to train him further unless he’s got exceptional skills (Natural Commander or better). Similarly, in Castles, Fortresses and Citadels the maximum is the General Training – except for those with good skills (Talent for Command, Natural Commander or better) in the Citadels. So once you’ve got message of a general attaining a level of training, he might be ready for fight before he reaches the age of 20.

This means that training in a citadel with many military buildings is the most efficient. This is especially true if the guilds - and even better their master levels – are present in the castle. Father’s traits have a significant impact on education, and good natural military skills (I.E. Talent for Command, Natural Commander or better), positive cognitive traits (Smart or better), ancillaries (like Tutor or Mentor or military book) also count. On the other hand, being unfit physically or mentally may thwart education.

Once a general matures, he should go for war and get the hands-on experience. This will give him additional Military Education but also prepares him for further studies. If he becomes an Aspiring or Proven Commander, Great or Renowned Victor, he can complement education at fortresses or citadels, spending a few turns there. However, if he’s older than 50, or unfit physically or mentally, he will not able to get this education.

During his life any general can learn a thing or two also from other sources – reading a Military Book or living in a settlement with a guild may help, if he’s endowed with natural military skills. On the other hand, after he passes 55, he’s likely to slowly forget his training due to the old age and ensuing senility.

Pagan Education

Pagan Education provides pagan generals with valuable military and administrative skills. It’s available for the Lithuanians and the Cumans (Kipchaks maybe?). It has four levels: Basic, Standard, Advanced, and Master. Pagans get their education as teenagers by studying (I.E. spending a few whole turns) in their settlements where their shrines are built: altars, sanctuaries and temples (the bigger, the better). Alternatively, staying (I.E. spending a few whole turns) in the wild may help a bit. The higher levels of education are acquired easier by the administratively minded generals or those with natural military skills (I.E. those “Born to Command” or “Born Conqueror). Keep in mind that all generals (especially those military minded) can get the same knowledge by fighting battles!
    Attached Files Attached Files

also, thank you for amending my France save. I tried to use this patch, perhaps I accidentally replaced the wrong file? I replaced the one within data/campaign/translation/english...
    it is still crashing for me.