Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Can't say I care to much about what's been posted since I last commented, but I will say this: Korra is the show of great concepts executed poorly. First season a pseudo-communist uprising, second season a civil war from a religious zealot, third season an anarchist revolution, and final season a facist regime. Couldn't be more relevant if it tried.

If it was all tied correctly and she was a bi from the start, it would have surpased TLAB with ease.
    Political commentary doesn't make a show more or less relevant. What if people are tired of political commentary to deem it relevant?!! Maybe they seen it a thousand times, or maybe it is hard to relate to in a personal level, since it deals with abstract political, and philosophical concepts at any case i find it to be a subjective notion. For one, how do you define what means to be relevant exactly in this case? from what perspective? What it means actually? Only then you can say if it was relevant or not. Usually it is history, or time that answer that question, not critics. And looking back to the track record of both shows, i do think Last air bender was much more impactful to the audiences. Generally speaking.

It is much more engaging and relatable to read, to watch, something about inner conflict, or as William Faulkner puts it - “The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself”. It can be within a political commentary setting, or not. Just because a show tackles Politics doesn't automatically make it relevant. imo.

The truth is if Korra had focused more on inner personal conflicts, the show would be much more relevant then it is right now. Because i find everything else is just dressing for the real meat in the bones.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 04, 2019 at 03:14 AM.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

It seems like your just nitpicking my post, rather than adressing the larger point that the show had great concepts that were handled poorly.

Korra had a ton of setup for engaging interpersonal conflicts and stakes, but ultimatly (much like the larger concepts) most fell flat for a number of reasons, be they lack of foresight, gross mishandeling at the final lap, and not knowing were to place the focus, among others. A lot of these have to do with the setup of the setting, so the failure of one likely meant the failure of the other. Ultimatly I think Korra had the potential to beat out TLAB in just about every category (a tough feat but doable), but failed.

Can't say I care to much about what's been posted since I last commented, but I will say this: Korra is the show of great concepts executed poorly. First season a pseudo-communist uprising, second season a civil war from a religious zealot, third season an anarchist revolution, and final season a facist regime. Couldn't be more relevant if it tried.

If it was all tied correctly and she was a bi from the start, it would have surpased TLAB with ease.
    I don't really see how a critique of unequal status between benders and non-benders, is a "pseudo-communist uprising". If anything, in the first season and throughout the show, there is a critique of egalitarianism, fascism, anarchy, and nihilism. It points out how good ideas taken to the extreme can have terrible consequences. It shows how criminals and crooks can use demagoguery to rally masses towards unsavory ends rather than their noble promises.

I find that on the contrary, this show is extremely relevant today. The only thing it's really missing is a focus on racism and identity politics.

I think most people don't realize the actual issue of the show that have to do with the narrative, rather than technical or thematic elements. The biggest issue was the characters, many were poorly developed or simply not likable. Similarly, the story structure was often unbalanced. To be fair, The Last Airbender, suffered from a bad story structure as well. It's just that so many other aspects were at a high level, allowing the audience to overlook it.

I fail to see how it's anything but, the equalist movement is clearly paralleling the communist revolution in china with strong hints of the Taiping rebellion. It's not a 1:1 comparison but then again I did say *pseudo* communist. Anyway, you're not really disagreeing with anything I said?

I think most people don't realize the actual issue of the show that have to do with the narrative, rather than technical or thematic elements. The biggest issue was the characters, many were poorly developed or simply not likable. Similarly, the story structure was often unbalanced. To be fair, The Last Airbender, suffered from a bad story structure as well. It's just that so many other aspects were at a high level, allowing the audience to overlook it.
    You say that but I found myself quite liking most of the characters and their arcs; I can't really think of a single character besides Unalaq (I think?) who I found annoying or dislikeable. Maybe my interest in the series revolved less around the characters and more around the narrative and concepts being explored.
    I remember that Amon's reveal and the way the equalist movement plotline goes down in the final episode did a lot more to sour the first season of Korra for me than the admitedly obnoxious love triangle. It was always the way the plotlines developed that ended up dragging the series down.

Kind of like how episode 3 of the last season of Game of Thrones ended up retroactively ruining the entire run of the show. Up until the moment Arya did her thing I was perfectly willing to set aside almost every other aspect of the show people found issue with.
    Last edited by saxdude; August 05, 2019 at 01:32 AM.

I fail to see how it's anything but, the equalist movement is clearly paralleling the communist revolution in china with strong hints of the Taiping rebellion. It's not a 1:1 comparison but then again I did say *pseudo* communist. Anyway, you're not really disagreeing with anything I said?

You say that but I found myself quite liking most of the characters and their arcs; I can't really think of a single character besides Unalaq (I think?) who I found annoying or dislikeable. Maybe my interest in the series revolved less around the characters and more around the narrative and concepts being explored.
    I remember that Amon's reveal and the way the equalist movement plotline goes down in the final episode did a lot more to sour the first season of Korra for me than the admitedly obnoxious love triangle. It was always the way the plotlines developed that ended up dragging the series down.

Kind of like how episode 3 of the last season of Game of Thrones ended up retroactively ruining the entire run of the show. Up until the moment Arya did her thing I was perfectly willing to set aside almost every other aspect of the show people found issue with.
    Korra begins with destroying the plot of TLAB. Korra has mastered 3 of the 4 elements as a small child despite not being taught 2 of them. Aang had less than a year (start of show till end of summer) to find bending masters to teach him fire, water, and Earth. We're told that usually avatars spend years learning all the elements, but Aang didn't have the luxury of time. He had to do something we were led to believe might be impossible. Add on the fact that the fire bender master Aang found had to be willing to teach him despite the Fire Nation wanting him dead. It turns out Aang was lazy and untalented because Korra accomplished most of that at a younger age without being taught.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Guys... This isn't Korra.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Korra begins with destroying the plot of TLAB. Korra has mastered 3 of the 4 elements as a small child despite not being taught 2 of them. Aang had less than a year (start of show till end of summer) to find bending masters to teach him fire, water, and Earth. We're told that usually avatars spend years learning all the elements, but Aang didn't have the luxury of time. He had to do something we were led to believe might be impossible. Add on the fact that the fire bender master Aang found had to be willing to teach him despite the Fire Nation wanting him dead. It turns out Aang was lazy and untalented because Korra accomplished most of that at a younger age without being taught.
    TLAB's stated plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense in restrospect if you actually think about it, so there really wasn't much of it to destroy. We're told that Aang needs to master the four elements but what does that actually mean in the context of the show? What could Aang possibly achieve that 4 independant masters couldn't by themselves? What we're meant to understand by that is that Aang needed the power of a literal god to be able to take down the entire infrastructure of the fire nation army, and by mid season Azula proved that even god tier Avatar state Aang wasn't an insurmountable challenge.
    Ultimately the storyline undermines the initial conceit in it's entirety, since by the end Aang didn't master squat, but achieved the greater goal of defeating the fire nation by establishing a base of support, a series of insurrections, obtaining the backing of an heir to the throne, and neutralizing the head of an offensive. All that "becoming a master" served him was to barely hold out against Ozai until he got Avatar ex Machina'd. In the end Aang was only ever a figure head.
    Korra being a prodigy doesn't undermine anything, she would have gotten man handled by the fire nation all the same, if not quicker since she lacked the earnest charisma or strategic intelligence that Aang had.

Also Korra didn't master jack, she could bend without formal training. Some people are just naturally better at things than you are, it's not a big deal.

New trailer, forgot how to insert them directly in here so here's the link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndl1W4ltcmg
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; November 01, 2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Inside the the YOUTUBE bracket, insert only the part after "v=".
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Short of accents, it's looking more and more like Hollywood generic fantasy.

I also noticed geralt swinging swords and taking down full plate armoured soldiers with ease. It bothers me but this is usual BS in shows so can't really say much.
    So far it looks good overall. Acting wise I also feel Cavill has delivered well. Now we just have to wait to see the actual show in December. Overall I'm hyped.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

it appears the show will be focused on yen and ciri instead geralt because author wanted it.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/1...er-ciri/96373/

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Short of accents, it's looking more and more like Hollywood generic fantasy.
    It is Hollywood genetic fantasy even in books, with SJW everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    it appears the show will be focused on yen and ciri instead geralt because author wanted it.

Well, they are IMO more interesting than him, but I have only played the first game...
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

The books focus more and more on Ciri as they go by so focusing on her its actually accurate to the source
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

0.24 in trailer. Nice grip, your opinions? Looks like they're going all out hollywood style action. It doesn't look like his sword has ricasso for such grip without gauntlet.
    Last edited by Sar1n; November 02, 2019 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    I also noticed geralt swinging swords and taking down full plate armoured soldiers with ease. It bothers me but this is usual BS in shows so can't really say much.
    So far it looks good overall. Acting wise I also feel Cavill has delivered well. Now we just have to wait to see the actual show in December. Overall I'm hyped.
    Did you ever get through the game?

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post

It says they want the three of them to be at the forefront from the start instead of starting with Geralt and bringing in the rest as main characters later. Makes sense to me for a show that wants to avoid tacky flashbacks or referencing things non readers wouldn't understand.
    The source is distastefully toxic, especially the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    Did you ever get through the game?
    Yes. I like Kingdom Come Deliverance better in that aspect.
    I don't mind either way, i value Script>Entertainment/acting>Realism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Yes. I like Kingdom Come Deliverance better in that aspect.
    I don't mind either way, i value Script>Entertainment/acting>Realism.
    I was being a little cheeky Ishan. Don't mind me. I personally think realism is important, in that it doesn't detract from the entertainment. Ridley Scott's 2000 epic Gladiator is wildly inaccurate, including the opening battle scene. Yet, it was pretty realistic to its audience (rather than the historically inclined) and thus did not detract from entertainment. At least from most people.

I do think that the Geralt cutting through plate armor in the show seems to be a bit much, for me anyway. I'll still enjoy the show, most likely, but glaring omissions like that could ruin the show if it's done too often. Maybe the action has a lot more finesse than that, but the trailer has done a bad job showing it, so who knows? I have high hopes for the show.