Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Default Re: The Witcher (Netflix Series)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Im saying it can. No that always it is so.

BP is quite an overrated film imo. It is average movie at best just like most marvel movies incidentally. Legend of Korra also has tons of issues not nearly as good as Last air bender for one. And the "woke part" came in quite forced in the end, which wasn't a particular good ending, nor a particular good written season for that matters. It didn't add anything to it. It would had been better if it had, if it was part of the plot and character development. But they didn't even did that. Might not have been intentional, but it came out as so we can have the token lesbian main characters. The end.
    I don't BP is overrated at all. It paid tribute to many different African cultures, it drew attention towards the historical disenfranchisement of Blacks in America as well as in geopolitics. It did all of that while being an excellent film in terms of pacing, story structure, and interesting characters.

Last Air bender ending in contrast was epic. Because overall was a solid good written show.
    Legend of Korra did have a forced ending. It doens't upset me that Korra is lesbian at the end, it upsets me that it was so tacked on and undeveloped. Otherwise Legend of Korra is superior to Avatar the Last Airbender. My opinion of course, but Korra successfully talked about complex themes that are far more "relevant" to everyday life than the Last Airbender. I can go into this at detail in a separate thread, but I'll just say that while the ending of the Korra is pretty bad, most of the show is simply better than the Last Airbender.

Again, all opinion and I'm not saying yours is wrong.

And i personally dont see it as attacking something, i see it as criticism. I do think condescendingly pushing for social political agendas in vogue today on media it is valid criticism. Mind you not saying it is the case. Never said that. The show isn't out yet.

But it most certainly think it is valid criticism. Specially if you dont particularly support such agenda politically. Which im not saying i dont or do, im saying it is perfectly valid stance to get. No one should be forced to value propaganda after all. Whatever that might be.

At any case all i said was Netflix track record isn't the best with this kinda of stuff.
    Well all criticism is actually equally valid. It's just that when you're already hearing strong complaints about "SJWs" and what not, just based off the trailer... That criticism is already pretty tepid and vapid as far as I can tell. I mean really, how can you make a determination that something was badly done if you've only seen a 3 minute collection of clips? It's one thing to say something like, "I don't know about a Black James Bond" or something like that. It's another to immediately assume that the writers will be terrible because they support a certain political spectrum.

Never watched the live action film. Heard it was very bad. Korra was ok, but not nearly as good as Last air bender, not even close. It all came down to the writing, and the concept they chose for their stories. Btw Netflix is doing a continuation of the last Air bender. It is going to cover the chapters after the end of 100 year war. (Search for Zukos mother, and such arcs that are covered in the comics). Good news is done by the same people who did Last Air bender.
    The actors who portrayed Sakka and Katara might as well have been planks of wood. Appa's CGI was terrible. The Fire Nation kept Earthbenders prisoner on land doing manual labor. It took either Katara or Aang to remind them that they could Earthbend then cue action scene and escape. Wait, why didn't they do that a long time ago instead of submitting to captivity?

I just didn't like Korra at all, I felt like I was forcing myself to watch it out of loyalty to the first show and just waiting for it to end. After that I just assumed they got lucky in the beginning like M. Night Shyamalan then revealed themselves to be hacks in later things they produced like The Last Airbender.

The actors who portrayed Sakka and Katara might as well have been planks of wood.
    Are you been sarcastic here? Sakka couldn't be a more animated character. Even his voice acting, i wouldn't consider it to be wooden at all.
    Btw i dont think it was a perfect show. But i do think it had an accomplished writing.

Appa's CGI was terrible.
    Its an old show.
    Overall i though the show had great animation, for the time it was made.

Wait, why didn't they do that a long time ago instead of submitting to captivity?
    If i remember correctly it was because the prisoners were broken psychologically to even fight back. New influx of prisoners changed the dynamics there. I thought it was fine. At any case it was basically filler episode when you think about it.

Legend of Korra did have a forced ending. It doens't upset me that Korra is lesbian at the end, it upsets me that it was so tacked on and undeveloped. Otherwise Legend of Korra is superior to Avatar the Last Airbender. My opinion of course, but Korra successfully talked about complex themes that are far more "relevant" to everyday life than the Last Airbender. I can go into this at detail in a separate thread, but I'll just say that while the ending of the Korra is pretty bad, most of the show is simply better than the Last Airbender.

Again, all opinion and I'm not saying yours is wrong.
    I dont really agree with this.
    Yes Korra had more themes, had more fantastical accomplishments then the story of Ang. More isn't necessarily good. The overall story of her isn't as coherent and consistent, as that of last air bender.
    And It completely lacked the emotional connection and development to link all this into a solid storytelling. Exception maybe was Season 3, i felt lots of this korra stories probably deserved more seasons and time to mature, to get a better payoff from a character perspective.
    The only think i feel that was better was the animation which isn't surprising at that point given it was made much later.
    Btw i dont have a problem of her being a lesbian either, that isn't the problem. The problem is that they pushed in there in the end for the sake of pandering, instead of making sense within the story that was told so far. In contrast the love story between Katara and Ang was dealt with brilliantly, over the 3 seasons.

The writing of the show, it isn't as good as it is in the last air bender. Regardless of themes and their complexities. I still think the themes in last air bender are more relevant. Or rather more personal and relatable if you will.

On a side note there is a new comic released early this month, called "The rise of Kyoushi". Following Avatar Kyoushi naturally.
    Which i do think is pretty good so far and they also made her a Lesbian.

It's another to immediately assume that the writers will be terrible because they support a certain political spectrum.
    Things like pandering, and token characters hurt the stories concept wise, imo.
    Look im actually pleasantly surprised after watching the witcher trailer. Im not blown away not even close. But i think it seems ok so far. Overall.
    Those assumptions people have seems to me, dont come from the trailer only but from the track record of the whole process, and the platform itself.
    It is the times we are living.

I don't BP is overrated at all. It paid tribute to many different African cultures, it drew attention towards the historical disenfranchisement of Blacks in America as well as in geopolitics. It did all of that while being an excellent film in terms of pacing, story structure, and interesting characters.
    The cultural relevance is quite overstated, that is what im saying.
    And what interesting characters it had exactly? lots of its characters often felt like caricatures to me. The villain was terrible imo. The CGI wasn't great either that last fight was cringe, and so was the cgi rhino.

I didn't particular liked that they fell in the trope of the hood ghetto theme either.

Anyway i thought it was an ok Marvel movie. I didn't thought it was culturally significant as often marketed, But maybe that isn't because im not an american? i dont know.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 30, 2019 at 10:50 PM.

I dont think that is generally true. But at this point Cosmetics is all people have. All you have is a Trailer and photos. Of course criticisms would be based on appearances.
    It is generally true. I've never seen people make much of a fuss over character traits. It's always about the color of an actor. There was much less of an outrage over how Mandarin was gutted.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    It is generally true. I've never seen people make much of a fuss over character traits. It's always about the color of an actor. There was much less of an outrage over how Mandarin was gutted.
    I remember the outrage over iron man 3. I remember feeling cheated. ( apparently they are bringing the real mandarin in future marvel movie btw) Now that Iron Man is dead... because that isn't a waste or anything...

Also the outrage over Game of thrones , or Star wars ( big popular franchises) had nothing to do with the color of an actor.

If you havent seen such outrage its because you haven't been looking then. GoT outrage is still ongoing, i see it almost every day. And the focus of that outrage is not the actors, it is not race, is none of that. Its actually D&D.
    So no i dont think that particular outrage is general. It happens in some cases, unfortunately there is more and more of this cases, maybe that is why people complain more now?!

Otherwise it is obvious when there is cases of gender, or race swaps of characters, that the fans of the original material wont be happy. Marvel is known to do it often for example.

Me personally doesn't bother me much, i guess what bothers me is probably the double standard the media and some people have on this.

Where they found insulting if a they would race swap some character from BP movie or from Wakanda. But they are totally ok with race swapping Heimdall and Valkyrie. And dont tell me it isn't the same thing, because it is exactly the same thing. Asgard is based of in Norse Viking mythology. ( probably the whitest thing there is).
    Of course you can change somethings so such a thing can fit in the scenario like they did in the MCU. But that is true for all fictional scenarios, including wakanda. So yeah same thing. Just different standards.

Btw Marvel is rebooting Blade, and rumors have it they are making Blade a Muslim.... lol because that makes sense?! ridiculous.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 31, 2019 at 02:47 AM.

Btw Marvel is rebooting Blade, and rumors have it they are making Blade a Muslim.... lol because that makes sense?! ridiculous.
    Makes sense. Vampirism is not halal.

I remember the outrage over iron man 3. I remember feeling cheated. ( apparently they are bringing the real mandarin in future marvel movie btw) Now that Iron Man is dead... because that isn't a waste or anything...
    Also the outrage over Game of thrones , or Star wars ( big popular franchises) had nothing to do with the color of an actor.
    If you havent seen such outrage its because you haven't been looking then. GoT outrage is still ongoing, i see it almost every day. And the focus of that outrage is not the actors, it is not race, is none of that. Its actually D&D.
    So no i dont think that particular outrage is general. It happens in some cases, unfortunately there is more and more of this cases, maybe that is why people complain more now?!
    Otherwise it is obvious when there is cases of gender, or race swaps of characters, that the fans of the original material wont be happy. Marvel is known to do it often for example.
    Me personally doesn't bother me much, i guess what bothers me is probably the double standard the media and some people have on this.
    Where they found insulting if a they would race swap some character from BP movie or from Wakanda. But they are totally ok with race swapping Heimdall and Valkyrie. And dont tell me it isn't the same thing, because it is exactly the same thing. Asgard is based of in Norse Viking mythology. ( probably the whitest thing there is).
    Of course you can change somethings so such a thing can fit in the scenario like they did in the MCU. But that is true for all fictional scenarios, including wakanda. So yeah same thing. Just different standards.
    The Mandarin outrage was nowhere near the outrage for any of the race swap cases. It's not about me not looking. It's about double standards people use.
    The Armenian Issue

The Mandarin outrage was nowhere near the outrage for any of the race swap cases. It's not about me not looking. It's about double standards people use.
    It seems to me you are rather focused in something specific. Got and star wars outrage is way bigger than that.

You are making it sound it is always like that, Which it isn't. Not even close. And usually goes both ways.

Makes sense. Vampirism is not halal.
    I dont know it is a bit weird see him as a religious person. Him being Cynical, and mistrusting of society institutions (due to Vampiric control of them in the shadows)

Besides lore wise usually Vampires have more ties with Christianity. Not that im saying he should be a christian either.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 31, 2019 at 01:28 PM.

Are you been sarcastic here? Sakka couldn't be a more animated character. Even his voice acting, i wouldn't consider it to be wooden at all.
    Btw i dont think it was a perfect show. But i do think it had an accomplished writing.

Its an old show.
    Overall i though the show had great animation, for the time it was made.

If i remember correctly it was because the prisoners were broken psychologically to even fight back. New influx of prisoners changed the dynamics there. I thought it was fine. At any case it was basically filler episode when you think about it.

I dont really agree with this.
    Yes Korra had more themes, had more fantastical accomplishments then the story of Ang. More isn't necessarily good. The overall story of her isn't as coherent and consistent, as that of last air bender.
    And It completely lacked the emotional connection and development to link all this into a solid storytelling. Exception maybe was Season 3, i felt lots of this korra stories probably deserved more seasons and time to mature, to get a better payoff from a character perspective.
    The only think i feel that was better was the animation which isn't surprising at that point given it was made much later.
    Btw i dont have a problem of her being a lesbian either, that isn't the problem. The problem is that they pushed in there in the end for the sake of pandering, instead of making sense within the story that was told so far. In contrast the love story between Katara and Ang was dealt with brilliantly, over the 3 seasons.

The writing of the show, it isn't as good as it is in the last air bender. Regardless of themes and their complexities. I still think the themes in last air bender are more relevant. Or rather more personal and relatable if you will.

On a side note there is a new comic released early this month, called "The rise of Kyoushi". Following Avatar Kyoushi naturally.
    Which i do think is pretty good so far and they also made her a Lesbian.

Things like pandering, and token characters hurt the stories concept wise, imo.
    Look im actually pleasantly surprised after watching the witcher trailer. Im not blown away not even close. But i think it seems ok so far. Overall.
    Those assumptions people have seems to me, dont come from the trailer only but from the track record of the whole process, and the platform itself.
    It is the times we are living.

The cultural relevance is quite overstated, that is what im saying.
    And what interesting characters it had exactly? lots of its characters often felt like caricatures to me. The villain was terrible imo. The CGI wasn't great either that last fight was cringe, and so was the cgi rhino.

I didn't particular liked that they fell in the trope of the hood ghetto theme either.

Anyway i thought it was an ok Marvel movie. I didn't thought it was culturally significant as often marketed, But maybe that isn't because im not an american? i dont know.
    I was referring to the movie The Last Airbender.

That's because Ben Kingsley looks Indian (he's half) and it was written in 2012. Social Justice wasn't as bad back then and business hadn't decided they can shame people into liking their movies. You're not allowed to criticize diversity (non straight white male) of any kind. Make something "diverse" and any criticism is racism/sexism and those voices are allowed be silenced. "Straight white males are attacking our movies because someone with your characteristics are in it. Come see (also known as paying for a tickets) it multiple times and stick it to them."

There was a little noise when Tilda Swinton replaced a Tibetan old man in Dr. Strange, but most of it was comic fans and Disney didn't market outrage. Jesus Christ, can you image how difficult it would be to get shown in China if they highlighted a Tibetan character?

Where/hey found insulting if a they would race swap some character from BP movie or from Wakanda. But they are totally ok with race swapping Heimdall and Valkyrie. And dont tell me it isn't the same thing, because it is exactly the same thing. Asgard is based of in Norse Viking mythology. ( probably the whitest thing there is).

Yeah, the Marvel universe made toxically masculine white Thor a fat drunk who gets panic attacks after they killed his entire family and over half of his people along with his home, kicked him off his thrown, then made a black lesbian drunk queen of white people. Can you image if something similar happened in Wakanda to Black Panther and then a white guy was made king of the Wakandan people who all fled from Wakanda after it was destroyed to Oklahoma? They'd burn Disney World down. This is where my actual problem with it occurs. It's only okay when it happens to a specific group. Brought it up previously, but I've seen sights that are putting out articles complaining about people calling Natalie Portman FEMALE Thor and not just Thor. So in addition to everything else they did to him they're taking away his hammer/powers and his name. It's like SJW material.

I've heard Blade is only being considered being changed to a Muslim. Think they put it out there to test the waters. Also heard that in Black Panther 3 or something they want to make his little sister Queen and take up the mantle. Wakanda is a super advanced, land-locked country, isolationist ethnostate in Africa that has an extremely valuable metal. Makes sense, paradox of plenty and isolationism was bound to not ruin countries.

Captain Marvel used to be a man, then a black woman, then a white woman, now a captain woman in the comics. Thor was a man, now a woman and taken over by a black lesbian. Ironman's mantle gets taken over by a black girl. Captain America a black man. Apparently Antman and the Wasp (didn't see it) was mostly about not Paul Rudd, the only interesting person in the movie. Black Widow, a prequel to a dead character because prequels are always great. I did some research a while ago (I don't really like comics) and every Marvel superhero who is a white male has a non-white male alternative/replacement. Most are black, which is weird because Latinos out number black people in America. The only thing that matters in story telling his race, sex, gender, sexual preference. If it was about story telling, it wouldn't all be happening at once instead when stories have reached there thematic conclusion. "Well, we've told all the stories we could about a straight white male who does whatever a spider can. Let's make them a trans biracial zim, then it will completely new and people will have to like it just as much as the original. WE'RE ARTISTS!" Waititi sold out and Thor 4 is going to be about as unfunny as you get get.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; July 31, 2019 at 02:54 PM.

It seems to me you are rather focused in something specific. Got and star wars outrage is way bigger than that.

You are making it sound it is always like that, Which it isn't. Not even close. And usually goes both ways.
    It usually is. Criticism of content doesn't usually go beyond much. Criticism of cosmetics is a whole different world.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    That's because Ben Kingsley looks Indian (he's half) and it was written in 2012. Social Justice wasn't as bad back then and business hadn't decided they can shame people into liking their movies. You're not allowed to criticize diversity (non straight white male) of any kind. Make something "diverse" and any criticism is racism/sexism and those voices are allowed be silenced. "Straight white males are attacking our movies because someone with your characteristics are in it. Come see (also known as paying for a tickets) it multiple times and stick it to them."

There was a little noise when Tilda Swinton replaced a Tibetan old man in Dr. Strange, but most of it was comic fans and Disney didn't market outrage. Jesus Christ, can you image how difficult it would be to get shown in China if they highlighted a Tibetan character?
    Racist and sexist comments are racist and sexist. Many people are just pissed that their veiled racism and sexism can't be uttered in peace like they could before. I love how the example you came up actually supports what I'm saying.
    The Armenian Issue

Racist and sexist comments are racist and sexist. Many people are just pissed that their veiled racism and sexism can't be uttered in peace like they could before. I love how the example you came up actually supports what I'm saying.
    Not exactly true. Often, when racist, sexist and whatever elseist stereotypes are used in humorous manner, it presents a caricature of those stereotypes and call them into question. My country has gained a a bit racist reputation due to this, while in fact the racial tension here is very low for the amount of ethnic groups that reside here. It's just our humour...

If you want an example, one current running joke in our family is calling vietnamese black pepper that recently appeared in local supermarket "Agent Orange". And yet, we get along with vietnamese neighbors just fine (and they joke about us too), my favorite restaurant (whose number for take-out is saved in my phone as Vietcong) is owned by mixed Czech-Vietnamese family, and so on...

IRacist and sexist comments are racist and sexist. Many people are just pissed that their veiled racism and sexism can't be uttered in peace like they could before. I love how the example you came up actually supports what I'm saying.
    I have no idea if you're joking.

Racist and sexist comments are racist and sexist. Many people are just pissed that their veiled racism and sexism can't be uttered in peace like they could before.
    That is pretty much not true at all. If anything, every little thing today is blown out of proportion, usually wrongly perceived to be either sexist or racist.

Specially when people call out empty virtue signaling made by people, or corporations. I suppose it is one of the side effects of social media existence.

The latest thing was Mario Lopez case, where he was critical of a 3 year old transgender child, and got backlash of epic proportions. I suppose it was all because of his veiled "bigotism" that led him to be critical of something....

I was referring to the movie The Last Airbender.
    That never happened. It was a bad dream, im sure.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 01, 2019 at 02:27 AM.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Ok, now I seriously have to ask. You are a Turk, right? I don't know whether you grew up in Turkey or outside of it - I can only point to the environment I grew up and lived in. We are very happy to be "racist and sexist" from time to time. If I ever thought I was wild with my "Swiss can't drive" shtick, Arabs and Kurds & Turks have a whole different thing going.

I cannot believe such a claim is ever made by someone who's actually experienced multiculturalism or, heck, has any understanding on how human interactions and language work.

There's no greater joy in multiculturalism when you get to heckle the others and get heckled back. Humour is more often than not a sign of appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

The cases you guys are talking about represent a very small minority and you are blowing it out of proportions. The kind of outrage you point at often stems from opposition to a negligible comment. It's like when people start talking about how political correctness is such a big problem regarding a particular issue in a thread without anyone actually making a politically correct argument.
    The Armenian Issue

Reducing the straightness, whiteness, or maleness then altering the plot is politically correct. The "writers" for the female Ghostbusters movie didn't think,, "I've come up with a Ghostbusters script that is funny and original, but it works best if the Ghostbusters are women while keeping everything else about the characters' role in the film the same. Racists audience will see it too because there is still only one black member and 3 white members."
    The director of the new Terminator movie gave a press clipping that misogynists are going to hate this movie. Yeah, because 5th installments into science fiction movie franchises that come out decades after the original are usually the best one. Why do they care about the Terminator movies when they made Linda Hamilton a tough as nails, badass woman capable of devoting her life to preventing the upcoming apocalypse? Why have they been complaining about strong female characters ruing every single Terminator movie for the last 35 years?

Social justice is a way to make something above criticism.

The director of the new Terminator movie is Tim Miller, the guy who directed Deadpool. He's hardly a "liberal snowflake". And the 5th installments of a series can be good. Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible, etc. The mania over SJWs rears its ugly head when they criticize films like the new Star Wars Trilogy for having a female lead, as if that's the source of its polarizing content.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    The director of the new Terminator movie is Tim Miller, the guy who directed Deadpool. He's hardly a "liberal snowflake". And the 5th installments of a series can be good. Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible, etc. The mania over SJWs rears its ugly head when they criticize films like the new Star Wars Trilogy for having a female lead, as if that's the source of its polarizing content.
    Tim Miller is also the guy who was told that the second Deadpool would be better without him. You forgot Transformers - The Last Knight, it made even more money than Oscar level Fast and Furious 5 and as we all know, the more money a movie makes means it better. People didn't wait 2 years to The Last Jedi to finally start complaining about the quality of Star Wars movies then boycott Han Solo so it lost tens if not over 100 million dollars because they just hate women in Star Wars. Look at the placement of Finn in the Star Wars 7 poster for the American release and the Chinese release. The Mission Impossible fills have remained popular because their plots have remained novel enough by breaking into the same place every movie, and Tom Cruise doesn't look like a shadow of his former self, regulated to a bit part and because audiences are the only thing they remember about the series. What great directors managed to secure the coveted role in T3, T4, and that one Christian Bale was in? I'm sure

Most people in Hollywood are left leaning, so the problem has never been they have different views than what I or other people deem "correct". The issue is SJWs inject their politics into things at a higher propensity and their movies tend to be less entertaining than non SJW left leaning directors.

Why did he state misogynists are going to hate the movie out of nowhere? Why will misogynists feel the need to be finally be so vocal about the fifth movie in a series that has had female antagonists and female protagonists before? Before anybody has a chance to see a trailer and form an opinion about how good the movie will be we have been informed that when negative comments do start coming out they will mostly be by misogynists and people shouldn't pay attention them.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; August 04, 2019 at 12:08 AM.

Looks like I was wrong, the trailer is out. One of the original protagonists is back after 25 years of barely being in movies, a little girl has replaced Jon Conner as the future savior of humanity after an entire franchise of him being expected to fill that role, a new kind of Terminator has traveled back in time to chase little girl, and little girl is being protected by another Terminator that thinks its human. The Ocean movies centered around a heist, but the draw was how they were going to use their skills in new, clever ways to get past the new obstacles presented. They didn't keep George Clooney to became progressively irrelevant but change the rest of the cast to rob the same place with slightly different security. The last good Terminator was made 25 years ago and it had roughly the same plot as the first. The Christian Bale one wasn't great, but at least it tried to tell a story about the horrible future we've been told is important to prevent. The people who probably have the biggest problem with this movie are huge Terminator fans mad that they've wasted their life obsessing about a franchise universe that never did anything new for them to justify their fandom.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; August 04, 2019 at 12:59 AM.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Can't say I care to much about what's been posted since I last commented, but I will say this: Korra is the show of great concepts executed poorly. First season a pseudo-communist uprising, second season a civil war from a religious zealot, third season an anarchist revolution, and final season a facist regime. Couldn't be more relevant if it tried.

If it was all tied correctly and she was a bi from the start, it would have surpased TLAB with ease.