Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what exactly are they saying on the campaign & battle maps anyway? My transliterations!

Default Re: So what exactly are they saying on the campaign & battle maps anyway? My transliterations!

Clearly the strappy horses have scared everyone away.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: So what exactly are they saying on the campaign & battle maps anyway? My transliterations!

Strappy horses? Not sure what you're getting at...are you criticizing them for having too many elaborate straps and trappings or something? I don't think that's the case. It also has nothing to do with silly transliterations of what's being said on the battlefield.

Well every few times I click on some Greeks they keep mentioning strappy horses, I don't know what the deal with them is.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Ah! I'm not sure which command it is you're talking about! That's interesting. I can't think of what it could be.

On another note, whenever the Celts pick up siege rams, they say something like "wou dee-mun-ah-tae", which could be transliterated as "what a demon hottie", so perhaps the Celts worship a hot female version of Satan in addition to Cernunnos and other deities.

As mentioned in my Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros thread, I think what you're hearing on the battlefield is "strategos" or "strategon", meaning "appointed/elected general" of the army. I'm not sure where you're hearing the "horses" part though. The best mishearing or misreading of "strategos" I can think of is "strategy hoes", basically prostitutes who utilize strategy.

You click an Indian unit on the campaign map:

- Gimme tea!
    Mouzafphaerre, aka Urwendur, Urwendil...

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    ALALA! - "Law! Law! Law!" [Lawyers should go back to the courtroom where they belong, not the battlefield.]
    If you were Italian this one would carry a much different, much darker meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alala

Even after countless hours of playing, I still can't unhear it.

When the Celtic Helvetii spearmen say "Gaisoualos" on the battlefield, I guess what they're trying to tell me is that guys are swallows (i.e. a type of bird), or that guys swallow, which would be gay. Perhaps they're trying to insult the pederast Greeks arrayed before them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    You click an Indian unit on the campaign map:

- Gimme tea!
    Nice, although now I cannot unhear that one, so thanks a lot, pal. You ruined it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post

I was well aware about the war cry of the Greeks, but this thread is for silliness only, with a dash of seriousness for when people come in with actual translations like I called for!

Nice, although now I cannot unhear that one, so thanks a lot, pal. You ruined it for me.
    Happy to help strappyhorse
    Mouzafphaerre, aka Urwendur, Urwendil...

When you click on a Roman when at war with the Romani: "Ah! Mentulae" - "ah, men also lie."

When you click on a Roman when at war with the Romani: "Ah! Mentulae" - "ah, men also lie."
    dude, their TVRPISSIME BARBARE always made me think of "your piss in me." fighting v. the romans is...

Well I mean the Greeks could be referring to prostitutes carrying handguns, hence strappy hos
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Iberian units: "SKUDENAE!" --> "Screw that guy!"

Basically taunting the other side of the battle there.

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Weltschmerz View Post

I have his image of an entire hoplite army charging toward their enemy singing LALALA.

I think I hurt myself. I can't breath.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12