Thread: FIFA Women's World Cup 2019

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default FIFA Women's World Cup 2019

I'm fan of this, not only since 2019.

Currently watching USA : France (1:0) ... goal by Megan Rapinoe, probably best female football player of the world.

However ... any bets who will make it to the final and who wins the tourney?

My guess goes with USA (once again) ... or Germany
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Default Re: FIFA Women's World Cup 2019

Hopefully not the American team (they seem to be way too arrogant).

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    Can't see this. However, they have reason to be proud as they are in pretty much every regard the best team. Although yesterday vs France, they got a lot problems in the second half and only their efficience rescued them. USA is beatable but a very hard task. I'm excited how England will gonna try that.

Anyway, now, Germany gets smashed by Sweden ... which increased their performance a lot today while have been already a really good team. Jacobsen, what a player, wow. Edit: Sweden wins this match 2:1, well deserved.
    Last edited by DaVinci; June 29, 2019 at 01:26 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I've watched almost all the matches, it has overall been really enjoyable. i find it hard to predict how this is going to turn out, I agree the US are slight favourites though. The thing is no one really impressed in the round of 16 but they all played well in the quarter finals and were the deserved winners of their matches there.
    The USA were quite poor against Spain and got by because of a ridiculous penalty yet they were good and especially very sharp against the French. England didn't impress against an opponent who had completely lost the plot, apart from the goals they created precious little. Then against Norway they turned up again, perhaps helped by a poor performance by the Norwegians (Graham Hansen in particular) but still much improved over their previous matches.
    The Dutch haven't shown much the whole tournament, they have one of the most talented forward lines in the tournament but they have trouble getting the ball there and the form of their forward four hasn't been great. They were very lucky against Japan, they might have been in control for most of it but most of that control was just pointlessly passing the ball around in the back trying to find an opening. The periods the Japanese were on top were far more dangerous and much more fun to watch so to be done in by (yet another) dubious penalty was very harsh. The first half against Italy was dreadful as well, more of the same as against Japan, but then in the second half they completely dominated. They still needed two headers from free kicks and the flanks still aren't as influential as they can be but at least a much better performance.
    Sweden did all they could and they did it well, looked very strong in defence and dangerous on the counter. They seem like a fairly good counter against the Netherlands with a decent backline holding them back and quick breaks causing all kinds of trouble for the weaker Dutch defense.

The thing I'm most disappointed about is France's inability to create much against the USA, which made it a fairly boring match for me. I feel this is partly because of tactical weaknesses, starting a slow striker against the slow US centre backs especially. Playing Cascarino on the flank and moving Diani to the centre from the start could have caused far more problems for the US defence. I also didn't get why they kept patiently playing the ball around in the back with little urgency when there were five minutes to play and they needed a goal. Your CB is by far the tallest player on the field and very dangerous with her head, just get her up front and start playing long balls if you can't get through the normal way.

Patrician Artifex

USA : England. What a show. Best match so far. Two brilliant teams.

Not sure, if the better team has won here ... deserved. My sympathies were with England latest with the second half.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    Its arrogant to be happy at being so far the best? Besides it means everyone will enjoy when they get upset in a tournament.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Patrician Artifex

Now the final match. I'm excited if the Netherlanders can do something with their enthusiasm versus the US American efficience.

Edit

Wow. Great match.

Netherlanders indeed found a way versus the brilliance and efficience of players like Rapinoe, Morgan, Ertz and Heath.
    Netherland with a brilliant tactical and thus efficient defence and middlefield. Likewise, the Netherlandic keeper is absolutely great.

Penalty ... no, imo. not deserved. But now the goal in the 69th minute is. Anyway, 2:0. Guess the result is clear now.

The US will repeat their success.
    In the end, nothing helps versus the US american storm.

Netherland has a great team, but they miss the efficient attack, aka making goals.
    Edit: But still a bravo for the shown moral to last minute.

Edit2

My congratulations to the US American team and even so to the Netherlandic team.

All received medals are well deserved.
    Last edited by DaVinci; July 07, 2019 at 12:17 PM.

It's a miracle the Dutch got this far with their entire attack (by far their best line with three world class players) not showing up for most of this tournament. Now they were mostly toothless and resorted to frustrating the US, which indeed largely worked until the questionable penalty. They lost the ball far too easily in midfield though, which both neutralised their own offensive threat and, certainly after the goal, made them vulnerable to counterattacks. The second goal is a good example with Van de Donk doing well at first before easily being run off the ball when she refused to pass it. Van Veenendaal and van der Gragt were the only ones with a good game, the rest put in effort but didn't reach their level.

Patrician Artifex

It's a miracle the Dutch got this far with their entire attack (by far their best line with three world class players) not showing up for most of this tournament.
    Agree. And especially here in the final, they should have put much more focus on the attack, otherwise there is no way against the US team.

until the questionable penalty.
    After a second, third and fourth watched repeat, i must say, the penalty had to be given, because the leg was without doubt way too high. It's a pity though (but just the football rules), that such occurances can decide sotospeak the whole result, ignoring for a second Lavee's well deserved goal in 69th minute short after.

Under the line, the US American team's power on all instances convinces. The forth women's world cup is well deserved.
    Last edited by DaVinci; July 07, 2019 at 12:31 PM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

I can see a real problem looming with VAR and penalties. I think before VAR, referees also used a measure of discretion: even if something was technically a foul, often no penalty was awarded when it was unintentional and did not prevent a goal or goal scoring opportunity. VAR is removing that discretion and as a result I personally feel penalties impact games disproportionately more often than before.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    I can see a real problem looming with VAR and penalties. I think before VAR, referees also used a measure of discretion: even if something was technically a foul, often no penalty was awarded when it was unintentional and did not prevent a goal or goal scoring opportunity. VAR is removing that discretion and as a result I personally feel penalties impact games disproportionately more often than before.
    True and agree.

On the other side, afaik, the referee has the last word, if the penalty is given.

when it was unintentional
    This is actually the point, imo., and should be always a weight for decisions, especially also for "hand".

But here for this said penalty is valid, we have anyway the rule that legs shall not be stretched that far high, whereever in the field (as for dangerous play).
    So it is 1st, technically a foul, and 2nd, here Morgan was very apparently hindered to shoot at the goal due to this foul. In sum, the penalty had to be given. What has to be learned: Never ever stretch a leg too high in the 16 m area ... and here, try running few steps further to get the ball (or just not) is the better option. However, such things just happen ... normal.
    Last edited by DaVinci; July 07, 2019 at 02:31 PM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    True and agree.

On the other side, afaik, the referee has the last word, if the penalty is given.

This is actually the point, imo., and should be always a weight for decisions, especially also for "hand".
    I think VAR increases the pressure on the referee though. Once VAR says it's a penalty, giving it is the safe option for the referee.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    But here for this said penalty is valid, we have anyway the rule that legs shall not be stretched that far high, whereever in the field (as for dangerous play).
    So it is 1st, technically a foul, and 2nd, here Morgan was very apparently hindered to shoot at the goal due to this foul. In sum, the penalty had to be given. What has to be learned: Never ever stretch a leg too high in the 16 m area ... and here, try running few steps further to get the ball (or just not) is the better option. However, such things just happen ... normal.
    The ref originally awarded a corner kick, which suggests that she thought the challange was ok provided the defender hit the ball. As it turned out, she did not and hindered the American. I don't think the shot was on, but fair enough. It can be given. If the defender had hit the ball though, a penalty would IMHO have been a travesty. And something like that did happen in the Norway-France game IIRC.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I have a question of the US Women game against England. I could have sworn that the score at one time was 2-2, then later England scored so it was 3-2, but that score was later taken away, so the score listed was 2-2. I wasn't able to stay and watch the entire game, but later I read the US women won 2-1 against England. Did I just remember the score? I must confess I am not that familiar with World football (soccer) and its rules. Is it possible for points to be taken away later in the game if it was decided the goal was invalid, even quite a few minutes later?
    Last edited by Common Soldier; July 21, 2019 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    I have a queAtion of the US Women game against England. I could have sworn that the score at one time was 2-2, then later England scored so it was 3-2, but that score was later taken away, so the score listed was 2-2. I wasn't able to stay and watch the entire game, but later I read the US women won 2-1 against England. Did I just remember the score? I must confess I am not that familiar with World football (soccer) and its rules. Is it possible for points to be taken away later in the game if it was decided the goal was invalid, even quite a few minutes later?
    You must have misremembered because at no point was it 3-2 for England. With VAR it is possible for a goal to be cancelled after it was first approved by the ref and as we've seen this can take several minutes. This can only happen however if the play is stopped. Once the play resumes, either by kick-off if a goal was given or free kick/goal kick/throw in (depends on what invalidates the goal) if the goal is cancelled, the decision stands and can't be changed anymore even if it later turns out it was the wrong decision.

Patrician Artifex

Well, as my preliminary last word to the thread.

I must say that the Women's FIFA World cup became at least that entertaining as "regular" (male) European FIFA and almost World FIFA Cup.
    Hope, many girls worldwide take such events as trigger to go into that sport.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

on VAR is there anyway in Football to make in more like The NFL. The coaches get to opt for two challenges but otherwise it is not automatic. Obviously the field is larger so some short time frame for a player to signal the coach.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    on VAR is there anyway in Football to make in more like The NFL. The coaches get to opt for two challenges but otherwise it is not automatic. Obviously the field is larger so some short time frame for a player to signal the coach.
    Yes, but tin the NFL the team is penalized if the challenge is ruled in valid by the loss of a time out that the coaches can call. If.a soccer coach raises a challenge, what could you penalize the soccer team if the challenge is not ruled valid? If you don't have some kind of penalty if the challenge is not sustained, coaches will just be raising challenges on the off chance that that the goal, et . Will be over turned, and that will delay the game.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Sure, that's just a matter of changing the rules of how the VAR is implemented. How does it work in the NFL, do they get to keep their challenge if it's succesful? Two isn't an awful lot, a few narrow offsides (or not) are easily missed but can also be checked quite fast with the current VAR technology. Making the teams have to challenge them themselves and limit the amount of challenges isn't that great an idea there. My main critisism of the VAR is the lack of transparency, I want them to do it like in rugby where you can hear the conversation between the VAR and the ref. Now we're stuck with watching a ref holding their earpiece or looking at a screen.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Sure, that's just a matter of changing the rules of how the VAR is implemented. How does it work in the NFL, do they get to keep their challenge if it's succesful? Two isn't an awful lot, a few narrow offsides (or not) are easily missed but can also be checked quite fast with the current VAR technology. Making the teams have to challenge them themselves and limit the amount of challenges isn't that great an idea there. My main critisism of the VAR is the lack of transparency, I want them to do it like in rugby where you can hear the conversation between the VAR and the ref. Now we're stuck with watching a ref holding their earpiece or looking at a screen.
    If the challenge is successful, the team is not penalized for the challenge. If the team is successful in both its challenges, it can get a third challenge. And the coach can't challenge the lack of a call on a penalty, the challenges are for possession of the ball or the location. For example, if the ref ruled a catch was no good because the player was out of bounds, the coach could challenge that ruling. Also, in order to issue a challenge, the coach has to have some time out available to make the challenge, since he has to have a time out available to be penalized if the challenge is not sustained.

The challenges are not to replace the referees, most of the calls are still made by the refs. But American Football is literally a game of inches, and inch might make the difference between winning or losing.

For example, in order for catch to be valid, the player making the catch has to step with both feet inbounds (not at the same time) while he has control of the ball. If he is still in bobbling the ball when he steps out of bounds, the catch can be ruled invalid. But even the catcher just brushes the toe of his second foot a split second before going out of bounds, that is still enough fo a valid catch, and it the catch is in the end zone of the goal, that could be the difference between a touchdown, or having to give the other team the ball without scoing if it were a 4th down play. Or if the ball pops out of the quarteback hands as he is tackled to the ground, and the other team recovers the ball and runs it to the other goal and scores, a challenge could get the ruling reversed if it turns out the ball was knocked out of the quarterbacks hands when the ball hit the ground (the ground cannot cause a turnover of the ball). This could be a huge result, because instead of tying the game with a little more than 2 minutes on the clock, it means the other team still has possession of the ball, can run the clock down with a series of plays, and score an easy field goal, and turn the ball over to the other team without enough time to make the 2 separate scoes they need to tie the game before the clock runs out. That one call could make the difference between winning and losing.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; July 21, 2019 at 08:18 PM.

Forgot about my post here but on reflection I can see where the NFL system or the new NHL system are not applicable to Football. Since they revolve around the fact of clock stoppages and potentially trading a different coaching asset (time outs) neither of which are to be had in Football.