Page 1 of 360 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Icon4 SSHIP - General Discussion

Fan of Middle Ages and Historical Accuracy, the SSHIP team is proud to introduce you an ambitious submod, based on Stainless Steel 6.4, with the ultimate goal of delivering the and most historically accurate early era campaign this game can offer.

The Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project.

This thread will be about general discussion of SSHIP. Suggestions? Ideas? Comments (good or bad)? Feel free to share and/or to ask.
    The more you are constructive
    , the more we can improve for your own benefit and greatest pleasure

Regards,

Lifthrasir
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 30, 2020 at 04:58 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Civis

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Does anyone know what sort of armor Caudillo's Varangian Guards (used in this mod) are wearing? It almost looks like scale mail (and cool scale at that). Are they all wearing mail underneath?

Just got demolished playing as Venice. Around turn 20 the Sicilians attacked me and i was forced to become their vassal, though i managed to defeat their full stack army, sending them back to their island and becoming independent again. A few turns later the Pisans attacked me, we were at war for quite a few turns until they finally sent their army of militia men to exterminate my capital, ending my game. I kept good relations with the pope, had trade rights and all that, same with Pisa, what i don't understand is why the pope did not mind their aggression, they only lost 1 point with the pope, during our war which lasted quite a few turns, i thought they would be excommunicated but no.

Excommunication usually depends upon cities and armies attacked by invaders within Christian territory so if you are fighting another Christian nation if you want Pope to side against them you need to both bribe the Pope and also wait for the other faction to attack your armies and cities within your own territory. If you actively defend your cities and attack with your armies even within your own territory the enemy faction does not suffer any penalties with the Pope and in fact if the Pope orders cease in hostilities your own faction will get penalty.

So in the case of Venice vs Pisa it can be quite difficult as you have to wait for Pisa to attack and there isn't much room to fall back. Much easier as a larger faction to manipulate the Pope.

alright thx for answer

I do think it's quite weird that fellow christians, fellow italians would exterminate Venice, is this just a roll between the 3 choices?

Italians fought amongst themselves frequently and Florence eventually nearly exterminated Pisa by siege and then destroying the docks that Pisan commerce depended on. Genoa also nearly captured Venice historically and all the Italy city states fought amongst themselves frequently only to somewhat ally when outsiders came in to Italy (those that didn't ally with the outsiders against their traditional rivals).

For the game mechanics the AI usually attack the weakest, closest target... so if you had less armies and are on the border expect to be attacked unless you have an alliance. Even then if you are fighting someone else that your ally is friends with you can get back stabbed. Even if you are a huge faction but leave 1 border unguarded the AI is likely to attack especially if you are disliked. There are limitations on what tendencies we can make the AI adopt... lots of the behavior is hard coded or at least the options to modify that behavior are limited.

Also historically most of the Italian Popes were more like a mafia organization and supported their client families and demanded protection money from cities, merchant leagues, and nobles so many wars were provoked by Popes who either wanted to expand Papal States (which grew to control all of central Italy for a time) or punish rivals within Italy or even clashed with Kings and Emperors outside of Italy over Church doctrine and authority.
    Last edited by Ichon; June 06, 2014 at 02:53 PM.

Thank you for that very detailed answer. I just started another campaign, gifted Pisa and the pope enough money to get them to like me! then as i was sieging Ancona, the rebels attacked Venice, i stopped sieging and sent my army there, but got interrupted by a mere 50 rebels, i autoresovled but now i could not reach Venice in this turn anymore, rebels also sieged Zara this turn, in which i had 1 general and 1 spear militia, this was like turn 6 or so.

At the end of that turn rebels took Venice, i realized that my game would end if i did not rescue Zara within this turn, but my 1 boat was bugged stuck in the Venice port, i got out it and it had no movement points left, needless to say i lost that game too, gonna try again soon...

Yep, I quite like the aggressive rebels now you have actually have to consider them and not just ignore. I find it best in crowded region like Italy to maintain a small army sufficient to defend from siege and focus on economy for 12 turns or so before attacking. In regular SS by turn 10 I could times have gotten 6-8 new cities already but it requires more patience and planning now.

Also money... if you are used to SS 30,000 is a decent treasury and once you have that much really not many ways to go to 0. Now 1 army and a few mercenaries can reduce that 30,000 quick so make sure you take that into account.

MatVego's Avatar Civis

I'd like to as you if would be possible to create an event/mission, where when we get settlement located on Holy Land, the game ask us(e.g after several turns) if we want to give this settlement Kingdom of Jerusalem, of course when we accept this event village will be transferred to Jerusalem with small garrison(3-5 units, maybe general). Something similar is alredy in the De Bello Munid Mod (but in this case without any reward and penatly) - screenshot:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm thinking it is quite intresting option especially in this mod and some of the players would not be needed one province at the end of the world.
    What do you think about it? Maybe you have any suggestion fot this option?
    Last edited by MatVego; June 07, 2014 at 09:07 AM.

If i am playing as a small faction, such as Venice, i always sell my crusader cities to either the Papacy or the Byzantines, a tip if you're planning on doing this is to first sack the settlement for maximum profit

Quote Originally Posted by bieluxd View Post
    I'd like to as you if would be possible to create an event/mission, where when we get settlement located on Holy Land, the game ask us(e.g after several turns) if we want to give this settlement Kingdom of Jerusalem, of course when we accept this event village will be transferred to Jerusalem with small garrison(3-5 units, maybe general). Something similar is alredy in the De Bello Munid Mod (but in this case without any reward and penatly) - screenshot:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm thinking it is quite intresting option especially in this mod and some of the players would not be needed one province at the end of the world.
    What do you think about it? Maybe you have any suggestion fot this option?
    i would love this

Quote Originally Posted by achilles-91 View Post
    i would love this
    It is possible to do and I'd be for including it. I often try to give away my settlements to Crusaders and the AI refuses to accept it. I don't like selling to Papal States but I have sold to Byzantines a few times. Hmm... maybe for Catholics sell to Crusaders and a mission for Orthodox to sell to Byzantines.

MatVego's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    It is possible to do and I'd be for including it. I often try to give away my settlements to Crusaders and the AI refuses to accept it. I don't like selling to Papal States but I have sold to Byzantines a few times. Hmm... maybe for Catholics sell to Crusaders and a mission for Orthodox to sell to Byzantines.
    And maybe for AI too? Sell for money or give for reputation with the Pope.

I have a small question: I'm playing Hungary(Catholic in campaign and i have war with Serbia(Orthodox) which has only one settlement, it would be better to make them a vasal or conquer?

It wouold definitely be a cool feature. I have only limited knowledge of the missions in mtw2 though and I don't know if its possible. It's definitely not possible via campaign script.

Quote Originally Posted by bieluxd View Post
    And maybe for AI too? Sell for money or give for reputation with the Pope.
    This would be brilliant, for me it is an eyesore to see countries like Scottland expanding into the middle east.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    It wouold definitely be a cool feature. I have only limited knowledge of the missions in mtw2 though and I don't know if its possible. It's definitely not possible via campaign script.

It is possible as that mod is a kingdoms mod, I think there is even a tutorial for it if I remember correctly.

MatVego's Avatar Civis

Maybe it would be worth to do the same thing for the Iberian peninsula (I remember a campaign in which Denmark conquered one village there, and they do nothing, they didn't help Castille or Portugal in the war against Moors only kept a garrison there).
    Could you ask people from De Bello Mundi if u can use their features and just edit it for SSHIP use?

Can anyone advise on the "Sound Fix " patch @ end of the list of download files. Is this to restore the voices to various factions that have been struck dumb? Also it says only for non -English versions of the game . Is this correct ? Finally once I downloaded the file I'm reluctant to run it as it looks a bit dubious to me. It's called jZipSetup-r230-n-bf.exe Any advice ?

Any intention of extending this mod to late era in the future, after you've got this one largely perfected?