Page 12 of 248 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast

Thread: TATW Unofficial patch 4.0

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Preview: Leo's custom settlements + Carn Dûm (update 11/25/11)

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    There is no streched textures in dunharrow. the only models and textures made by me in that settlements are the stone pillars and the statues.

The stretching in weathertop is so minimal that i is almost imperceptible.

Could you please point the pictures where do you see stretching?
    These shots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    These shots:

I knew you would point this...

That stretching is from the terrain texture wich IS NOT MADE BY ME, its fit automatically by the engine.

I actually already edited the terrain to fix this.

I will make like KK and stop answering you guys here. NO OFFENSE INTENDED ANYWAY! Its just that the 99% of you complainings are about engine issues that you actually dont understand.

The reason why everyone loved weathertop is simply because the images are set in a sunset, there is trees and all, so you feel imersed, weathertop is nothing but a bunch of cracked walls in a hill. While carn Dûm is by far my best settlement in therms of textures and concept but people dont feel pleased with it because the way it is now it dont makes you to feel imersed in the lore. I dont blame you since imersion is actually more important than technical quality.

Im receiving good feedback about my settlements from modders including KK and to be honest, for me, this is what counts, since THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Again, no offense intended!
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; November 26, 2011 at 04:59 PM.

I know what you mean. I produce my own music and after finishing a project the opinions of other musicians whose I respect is much more valuable than common music listeners.(But they are not unworthy at all )

Keep it going, with this good-stuff
    Last edited by fishdish; November 26, 2011 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishdish View Post
    I know what you mean. I produce my own music and after finishing a project the opinions of other musicians whose I respect is much more valuable than common music listeners.(But they are not unworthy at all )

Keep it going, with this good-stuff
    Yes, exactly.

And no, I never said their opinions are unworthy! I pretend to release these things for guys here playing also so of course I take in consideration what they say, even if only 1% of what they say makes sense.

The same texture stretching in terrain can be seen in some of the best custom settlements made by the other modders but people got so fascinated with the imersion that such settlements causes (because of movies references and all) that they simply dont see. Obviously Im not comparing my work with their and I will not post his pictures to justify myself, wich would be very coarse and nosense.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; November 26, 2011 at 05:19 PM.

I actually already edited the terrain to fix this.
    Great news. Can I just make a small request, pls. Can you post some more screenshots of the castle behind the walls of Carn Dum, pls? We could see the front walls with great detail but we couldnt take a good look at the castle behind the walls. I just want to appreciate that beauty. I want to know if the witch King can live a fancy life in that castle

Quote Originally Posted by leo
    1% of what they say makes sense
    Thank you

While carn Dûm is by far my best settlement in therms of textures and concept but people dont feel pleased with it because the way it is now it dont makes you to feel imersed in the lore
    Oh no. Of course, a better presentation of your results might make some difference here (but you said you didn't care). But it's not just that. I'd say your Carn Dûm walls cannot be manned with archers ?

Im receiving good feedback about my settlements from modders including KK and to be honest, for me, this is what counts, since THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
    Right I did not post in this thread until today because I feel that the good feedback you receive, and which certainly is well deserved, should not make you content and, please, do not repeat I (we) know nothing about it. Many of us are modders, of this game, of other games. We can imagine, generally, what problems you may encounter. The thing is that I (we) see Minas Tirith or Minas Morgul or Rivendell or Edoras simply perfect, I (we) would like to see also your settlements at that level of perfection. It is not there (yet).

You said you would change KK's Dol Guldur for your Carn Dûm... for me it only shows the purely technical way you take to create your settlements. And I think, with the skills you posses, that it's pitty. I'd say you go just too quickly.

Did you see these ?

Carn Dûm

The reason why everyone loved weathertop is simply because the images are set in a sunset, there is trees and all, so you feel imersed, weathertop is nothing but a bunch of cracked walls in a hill. While carn Dûm is by far my best settlement in therms of textures and concept but people dont feel pleased with it because the way it is now it dont makes you to feel imersed in the lore. I dont blame you since imersion is actually more important than technical quality.
    Maybe I'm a strange man, but I preferred far more Carn Dùm, Cirit Ungol (wich I hope isn'too small) and last but not least the dwarwen fort, than Weathertop. Wheatertop, no offense intended, looked to me almost exactly as "a bunch of cracked walls on a hill" . Come on, Cirith ungol with those suspended passages and the corner-door is adorable, who cares of the stratmap placement that will be (obviously) fixed? Otherwise, who isn't everyone complaining against scotsmen being lore-unfriendly?

Si votre cannon tire, nos rochers n'en seront pas epouvantés

Waldesian fighter to French officer demanding surrender,
    Battle of Balziglia, 24th of may, 1690

Quote Originally Posted by Adjudant-Major View Post
    Thank you

Oh no. Of course, a better presentation of your results might make some difference here (but you said you didn't care). But it's not just that. I'd say your Carn Dûm walls cannot be manned with archers ?

Right I did not post in this thread until today because I feel that the good feedback you receive, and which certainly is well deserved, should not make you content and, please, do not repeat I (we) know nothing about it. Many of us are modders, of this game, of other games. We can imagine, generally, what problems you may encounter. The thing is that I (we) see Minas Tirith or Minas Morgul or Rivendell or Edoras simply perfect, I (we) would like to see also your settlements at that level of perfection. It is not there (yet).

You said you would change KK's Dol Guldur for your Carn Dûm... for me it only shows the purely technical way you take to create your settlements. And I think, with the skills you posses, that it's pitty. I'd say you go just too quickly.

Did you see these ?

Carn Dûm

Mate, forgive me if i said something that you took as personal, I was not refferning strictly to you.
    I got a lack of creativity about carn dûm, and of course, I saw these pictures. But I will not explain, again, all about engine limitations. Due to my lack of creativity and limited skills I did the way I could, I like it, it will be implemented in my 3.0.
    And people is tottally free to do a rework on it or even do not download it as a submod or delete it from the mod in case it causes too much displeasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rora Lion View Post
    Cirit Ungol (wich I hope isn'too small)
    There is space enough for 1 full stack, the defenders, its up to the attacker to stick his own full stack in, and this is the challange.

damn double post.

Great! I love challenge

Si votre cannon tire, nos rochers n'en seront pas epouvantés

Waldesian fighter to French officer demanding surrender,
    Battle of Balziglia, 24th of may, 1690

Actually, my Carn Dûm was made inspired in BFTME's Dol Guldur, I would agreed with anyone who want to swich KK's Dol Guldur with my Carn Dûm, so making his Dol Guldur to be Carn Dûm AND vice versa. But this is just my opinion.
    Is there / will there be a tutorial about how to do that?
    As a BFME player, I'd be freaking confused everytime when fighting in those two "switched" settlements^^

Btw, really nice work you did there, it's pretty clearly visible that you're eager in collecting modding experience
    Thanks beforehand (optional addition )
    With best regards,

Förster44

There is space enough for 1 full stack, the defenders, its up to the attacker to stick his own full stack in, and this is the challange.

damn double post.
    I always wanted to have this kind of confrontation. We will pretty much have to wipe out the defender so we can conquer that settlement. It will be different from the usual battles in vanilla settlements. Whats next in your plans, Leo? Did you manage to solve the problems you faced when designing Barad Dur?

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    I always wanted to have this kind of confrontation. We will pretty much have to wipe out the defender so we can conquer that settlement. It will be different from the usual battles in vanilla settlements. Whats next in your plans, Leo? Did you manage to solve the problems you faced when designing Barad Dur?
    Nothing. Im done with this.
    I mean, there is nothing more to be done.
    Elven cities must be made by KK who already owns the buildings. The same can be said for gondor.
    The only ones I could work are Barad Dur and Durthang, but I think Im done.
    Also, portuary cities are something that needs more skill that what I have.
    And KK also owns the mountain standart (moria) so it would be nosense start working with something different from the standart.

I will just sit and wait for 3.0.

Thanks all you guys.

You made a huge contribution to the mod. We are thankful for what you have done. Cant wait to play with those beauties in 3.0. Once again thank you.

Just two suggstions : Goblintown ? Dale ? These cities haven't yet their recognized modder.

And your old project of Fornost Erain ?
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

Uhm ... what happened to your dwarven fort?
    Thanks beforehand (optional addition )
    With best regards,

Förster44

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

yep you did a good job! and made a very good contribution.Rep +

Quote Originally Posted by Thorïn II Oakenshield View Post
    Just two suggstions : Goblintown ? Dale ? These cities haven't yet their recognized modder.

And your old project of Fornost Erain ?
    Dale: Will, probably be a generic northern european one.
    Goblintown: Cave settlement standart, wich belongs to KK. I dont think that it is a good idea creating a new one.
    Fornost: Abandoned, it must follow the standart of the other ones.

Im happy with my Carn Dum that I think reached a decent level of textures and overall concept, especially if you take in count that it dont uses vanilla models/textures like other settlements made by now. Carn Dûm is actually more complex than some settlements made until now but of course there is no "memories" in people's heads about movies showing carn dum so people dont get so impressed.

Weathertop and dunharrow are nothing but exactly what they should be, there is nothing to be added. Or maybe we could add some castles and towers in dunharrow just for the sake of having something more .

That conversation makes me feel a little frustated by abandoning this since now I reached a good level on skinning and moddelling and makes me imagine another things I could do.

My hands scratches.

PS: The warven fort was since the beggining announced as something very personal and actually nosense.
    I never had intentions of offering it to 3.0 because I think it offends the overall standart of the mod. Of course I can share it if guys are interested.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; November 27, 2011 at 07:32 AM.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Then do more things and add them in a submod
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I have to agree. If you hands scratches, then something against this!
    Even, if its "offends" the mod, like you mentionend above.
    I think this doesnt matter, cause finding a guy who put the files together and do a stratmap is not a problem.
    Thus you can release it as a submod. I am sure a lot guys here are interested.

And maybe then, you have the skill and motivation to do a new city?
    Anyway its your decision