Thread: [AAR] M2TW: The Battle of Kenross

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Icon1 [AAR] M2TW: The Battle of Kenross

Author: Maximillian I
    Original Thread: M2TW: The Battle of Kenross

M2TW: The Battle of Kenross

Narrator: Scottish Soldier

Peace? Quite? Hmm…Our people simply forgot the meaning of those words. The English lion devastated these lands for generations now. The war is chewing the male population like a mule chews the grass. I myself got a taste of that war, not the prettiest thing to experience for an old man like me. I am writing these lines not for seek of glory or anything else, but for the simple wish that the next generations would not forget that under trained, and under equipped men fought and resisted the might of the English Crown. For me it all began on that faithful day when we laid camp in the forest near the Kenross settlement. Our spotters informed us that a regiment of English troops were spotted near the forest, so our commander gave us order to break camp and prepare to engage the enemy. We were running like possessed. Not a single second to catch our breath. The commanders were screaming almost all the time through out the process. Everyone was anxious to meet with the enemy and we wanted to make sure every chance for a victory was in our hands. Our commander, David Canmore by the nickname the Bull, was a talented commander. He and his officers spent most of that day preparing plans for a successful outcome of the battle. Our plan was simple, we had to lour the enemy in the forest and simply ambush them, a very simple tactic used from generations through generations all over the world. The biggest part of the day we spent to prepare our weapons. But this part was the worst one, because every soldier is left alone with his thoughts. Our commanders knew that and made everything possible to occupy us and our minds. Then out of nowhere we received orders to prepare ourselves as fast as possible because we had to leave to occupy the forest positions which, by the plans of our commander, gave us pretty good chances for victory. Miraculously everyone found their positions without any incidents. As the sun started to go down to horizon, our faithful march began.

After about three hours of the march, we finally reached our positions in the forest. Our spotters informed us that the English began their routine patrol over the area surrounding their fort, which meant imminent confrontation with us. Our captain assigned the location where our squad had to take place and prepare for ambush. Luckily the grass in that area of the forest was thick and long so we had no problems hiding in it. As everyone took their positions and took all the necessary measures for success, the long wait began. When you are a soldier, this is one of the worst moments because you are left alone with your thoughts which can be really dangerous. My fellow soldiers tried to show their warrior side, but I knew inside there is a real battle raged on between a human being and the beast that live in all of us. The English haven’t made us to wait long. A company of English troops started their advance right in our trap without even knowing what was waiting them there. We all knew that it will all begin very soon…

Narrator: English Soldier

Bloody patrols! Today our company received orders to patrol the forest area to the south-west of our fort. It’s my second year that I’m already in this bloody mess of a war. The cowards know that in the open field they stand no chance against our forces so they use the Scottish terrain to their advantage. Oh how I wish to just meet those dogs in the open field and avenge all my friends who fell in this forsaken land. Those things were going through my mind when the officer read the order of the commander of the fort, Captain Lewes. So we started preparing ourselves for the march. Then the order came to move up and we started our long march. The only thing that raised our spirit was the fact that the forest wasn’t far away from the fort and we will be able to make it back for the night. It’s not that pleasant to sleep in the open nature, even for a soldier. We continued our march through the small, open hills. I never saw a prettier sight in my life before. The sun was already half way to the horizon and its rays caressed the oceans waves. In times like these you simply forget that this is war, and in war there is no place for beauty.

As the march continued, we reached the outskirts of the forest. Our vanguard started their advance in this thick forest. As we started to get deeper and deeper a strange feeling of danger took over me. As I glanced on the faces of my fellow soldiers, I saw the same expression on their faces as was on mine. Everyone seemed preoccupied for some reason. But we had orders so our feelings should not interfere with them, which were to patrol this part of the forest. As few minutes gone by, I saw our captain nervously speaking with one of our spotters. Because I was few yards from them I just heard few words from that conversation. Deep…. Many trees… Perfect…Enemy…Ambush. Ambush? Why were they talking about ambush? That word heart my head as if I received a sword hit right on my helmet. But we couldn’t do anything except to advance and obey our commander’s orders.

As we were getting deeper and deeper in to the forest, that strange feeling of danger started to grow with every second. I couldn’t understand why I was so worried. The forest looked peaceful a quite. It’s been six months since we last engaged the Scottish in a battle, and ever since they haven’t bothered us. Why this day should be any different?

Suddenly, the company stopped. As the soldiers stood in confusion, I glanced to the front of the marching formation. I could barely notice that our archers who were assigned to our vanguard started to run back. The confusion in the soldier’s faces was apparent. Suddenly all hell broke loose. Our commander rushed by and the bearer started to wave the company flag to inform us to deploy to battle formation. The panic did its job. The chaos took over as every soldier tried to regroup and form the battle formation. Few moments later we heard a terrible battle scream. “The Scottish” –rushed through our minds. Then few moments later the forest suddenly became alive. Hundreds of Scottish highlanders rushed on our formation.

The clash was titanic as the metal collided. I occupied the second row in our lines. All I could see was my fellow comrade, by the nickname of Bold, collapse to the ground. It was my turn to take his position and engage the Scottish soldier. That moment my brain stopped thinking. The beats in me took his position, and almost with animal instincts I started the combat. I slashed, kicked,stabbed, hit, fell, got up, and hit again. Just like that, everything seemed like in a dream, like I wasn’t controlling my body but someone else did.

As the fierce battle raged on, my body became tired as if someone pored steel in it. I knew that I couldn’t keep up like this for a long time and the Scottish soldiers haven’t given any indications that they are planning to retreat. So we had no choice but to continue the engagement. Although we had a number advantage over the Scottish highlanders, the battle was evenly matched. Then out of nowhere my head started to shake. The noises disappeared as if someone cut off my years. A quick though ran through my mind that moment. “This is the end”. The blood pored through my nose and made me dizzy. My legs failed me and I collapsed to the ground. As I was laying there staring to the sky I knew that this is the last time I will see its beauty which I ignored though all those ages. A split second later I saw an axe flying directly to my head at an enormous speed. “This is it” ran for the last time in my head as I closed my eyes. And forever everything became dark.

Narrator: Scottish Soldier

It all began a few second after our commanders saw the approach of the English vanguard. Our officer gave us sign to start the attack. Hundreds of throats screamed something I couldn’t make out and we rushed forward on the English lines as we were possessed. My company was very well armed and trained so we knew that we won’t die in the first minutes of the battle. The only thing I regretted in that rush, was that as weapon we had the Lochaber axe, a standard issued battle axe. I knew that it’s a very good weapon. But running with it? As I approached the English lines I immediately engaged them. Their soldiers were very well trained and equipped and made a very good opponent. With my first hit I directly sent the first one to his ancestors, but the second one was a though nut to crack. Although I sent him to the ground numerous times, I was unable to finish him. But after longest minutes of our engagement I saw that he’s becoming tired and I took advantage of it. With a swift slashing move to his legs, I managed to get him to the ground again, but this time I knew that I had to finish him. So I raised my axe as high as possible and with terrible speed let it fall directly to his head. A second later, blood splashed my face, as I started to engage the next one.

As the fierce battle raged on, our commander decided to trick the English and make the flank attack with the little squad of cavalry we had in our possession. As the infantry draw the English attention to them, they made a quick move to the right English flank and with enormous speed rushed in that direction. We literally felt the ground shake as the cavalry approached their target.

That did it. The English troops dropped their weapons and started running in the direction of their camp. That moment the real slaughter began. My father used to tell me that the real casualties come always after the battle and not during it. As we pursuit the enemy, we killed them like dogs. Then orders were given to stop the pursuit and start the retreat as it was dangerous to approach the English fort. Some of us didn’t want to stop and just continue the slaughter but the officers managed to get the situation in hands. As we got back to our camp, we felt like gods. Everyone was smiling. Here and there you could see there you could see soldiers telling their comrades how their performed in that battle. This was a very glorious day for us. But, despite this victory, we knew that the war will still rage on, and perhaps some day will suffer the same defeat as the English suffered today. But another day is another day, and today belonged to us...

The End

**************************************************************************************************** **************************************************
    Hope you enjoyed the story. This story is fictional, so don't try to look for this battle in any books. Also i am planning to write another one, and will be very happy to read your suggestions about the nations that should be present in the next battle.
    **************************************************************************************************** **************************************************
    Last edited by Maximilian I; May 07, 2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Correcting grammatical mistakes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash