Thread: Night attacks?

Default Night attacks?

what is the point in night attacks, do they give any other advantages than day attacks. i can only thing of one adv. and one disadv.

adv:looks cooler with flaming arrows etc.
    disadv: lower visiblity

are ther any more???
    Firethrowers = win

eggthief's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Night attacks?

Well horse charges get stronger but accuracy of ranged units gets reduced. Also if reinforcements don't have the night fighter trait they will not be able to enter the battle, same counts for ur reinforcements.

So always check out these advantages and disadvantages before u decide wether to do a night battle or not.

Towelie's Avatar Miles

Also, there is effect if you play battle automatically (you will lose less, kill more man, especially if enemie general is not night fighter)

Night Attacks are great for dealing with larges armys that have reinforcments next to them on the campain map. For example your general lead army is near 3 full stack enemy armys, one lead by a general who has the night attack ability as well. If you attack one of the 2 captian armys the enemy's general will also be there so you attack him first at night, Destroy him and then attack the other 2 armys in succesion at night.

Also sometime you can attack a smaller enemy stack with a bigger stack of reinforcments. If you switch to night often the smaller stack will fall back, while you are still on the menu screen (like they do when you attack a much smaller army with a large one)- effectivly you will be offered the option to enter a battle against no one with a enemy army of reinforcments *DO NOT GO INTO BATTLE OR YOU WILL CRASH THE GAME* You can then press the withdraw button and fight the larger army on its own and then go after the smaller one.
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Centenarius

one time in SV mod when I wanted to take over cyprus I coulnt cuz there were 4 stacks of rebels with sergent crusaders and crusader mounted knighs and more...they were all next to each other.
    I coulnt take them all if I would attack them togethor (8000+ soldiers while I had 1500) so I turned night battle and could take them all one by one (I managed cuz I had many knights, but against 8000 crusader rebells it woulnt help much)

I mainly use it when I am going to fight an army with a lot of ranged units, and, well, for the coolness of it :p

Hundreds of men storming a city, with flaming death raining down over them...beautiful. Especially when I'm doing the raining.

And night battle give your general +1 command stat (and enemy general too if he has the Night Fighter trait).

Quote Originally Posted by kobi118 View Post
    one time in SV mod when I wanted to take over cyprus I coulnt cuz there were 4 stacks of rebels with sergent crusaders and crusader mounted knighs and more...they were all next to each other.
    I coulnt take them all if I would attack them togethor (8000+ soldiers while I had 1500) so I turned night battle and could take them all one by one (I managed cuz I had many knights, but against 8000 crusader rebells it woulnt help much)
    SV mod? And why did you want to take over me beloved country?

Night fighting basicly means that the opposing general is learning rather than applying. The opposing army reacts to your movements and you have a strong advantage to this! I use it as often as I can.
    Each Shadow conceils more Shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by eggthief View Post
    Well horse charges get stronger but accuracy of ranged units gets reduced. Also if reinforcements don't have the night fighter trait they will not be able to enter the battle, same counts for ur reinforcements.

So always check out these advantages and disadvantages before u decide wether to do a night battle or not.
    Is that true?

If so, why?

The general with night fighting ability also gains one command star. You can actually see this as you toggle the "night battle" on and off on the prep screen before the battle.
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Inquisitor View Post
    SV mod? And why did you want to take over me beloved country?

Night fighting basicly means that the opposing general is learning rather than applying. The opposing army reacts to your movements and you have a strong advantage to this! I use it as often as I can.
    cuz it was one of my campaign mission :ם

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by gunnigolfer View Post
    Is that true?

If so, why?
    If you are referring to the bonuses/penalties received by Cavalry and Missile units:

Missile units being less accurate is obvious-they can't see. A cavalry charge bonus possibly reflects some sort of surprise attack aspect?

As for why enemy reinforcements without night fighter trait can't enter the battle: You can get be in a night battle 2 ways: You attack with a nightfighter, or a night fighter attacks you. The defender has no choice on the battle... they will be fighting at night regardless of their commander. If a reinforcement army has no night commander, then they cannot effectively get to the battle, or something.

Mooncabbage's Avatar Ducenarius

Seems sort of like a Maneuver Expert sort of trait more than anything else, with night battles attached. Would be cooler if it was more of a Dawn Raid and once the sun came up reinforcements could enter the battlefield. I wish TW had more types of battle objectives than "Kill or Route Enemy Army". Because realistically, destruction of assets would be just as viable (If the AI didn't cheat with money). Maybe you want to capture a bunch of prisoners for ransom and take off, or pillage a church or something. Oh well ^_^
    Not actually on the moon.

Empire: Tactical Warfare Mod v1.0

i had a general with a stat called "Ruler or the Night" or something to that effect. he gained plus 3 command stars in night battles. i had him command all cavalry armies... it was just terribly effective. no army could withstand him.

i think troops suffer major moral penalties at night.
    Last edited by pat the magnificent; May 03, 2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo

eggthief's Avatar Praepositus

Yeah I think that u get that trait after u won some hard battles, which u fought at night.

Supposedly if you have a night fight general and the opposing side doesn't there is a lower morale rating for that entire army . . . I don't really believe it though.
    The pleasure about a dream is that it's a fantasy. If it ever came real then it wasn't a dream.