Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Hardcoded List

Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: The Hardcoded List

I suspect there might be ammo limit somewhere of around 100 with higher values getting clipped to the range.

It doesn't matter much for units which have to shoot 100 times to reach the limit, but rocket launchers seem to be hard-limited to 3 salvoes.

Linyoa's Avatar Civis

I'm going to test that out now because I vaguely remember being able to go higher than that.
    I'll post my results later

Friendship is like peeing yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you get that warm feeling it gives.

Linyoa's Avatar Civis

Ya, I tried with the rocket launcher as well and I was limited to three volleys. We should test it out with normal archers/crossbowmen/gunners though.

Friendship is like peeing yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you get that warm feeling it gives.

mfdoom's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Buy the engine from Sega. There is no other way. Serious.

Since CA said that they don't mind mods, isn't there a way to ask them to unlock some of this?Imagine Rome with good diplomacy or M2 with 300 regions.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom View Post
    Since CA said that they don't mind mods, isn't there a way to ask them to unlock some of this?Imagine Rome with good diplomacy or M2 with 300 regions.
    They have flat out refused to unlock anything in the hardcode. Large memory addresses would be nice as big as some mods are but it won't happen, either.

mfdoom's Avatar Civis

They have flat out refused to unlock anything in the hardcode. Large memory addresses would be nice as big as some mods are but it won't happen, either.
    Did they gave a reason or just said no?

Just a big, "NO". We hit them up for a price on the RTW engine and got, "Over our dead bodies" kind of response.

mfdoom's Avatar Civis

Just a big, "NO". We hit them up for a price on the RTW engine and got, "Over our dead bodies" kind of response.
    Hm,and yet they say they support modding.I honestly can't see what could possibly go wrong with having 250 regions in Rome or modded diplomacy.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Hm,and yet they say they support modding.I honestly can't see what could possibly go wrong with having 250 regions in Rome or modded diplomacy.
    Forgetting everything you can do because of something you can't? ... Seems pretty ungrateful to suggest they didn't support modding with M2TW.

The only modding restriction they have put on the communtiy is the hardcode. I think after the modding I have done, and as much as I have pushed the boundaries finding memory leaks, the hardcoded limits on things like units and settlements are probably realistic for the game's engine, personally. Anything more would be a nightmare only a dedicated team of programmers could sort out and make playable as the memeory leaks would grow with the code.

mfdoom's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Taiji View Post
    Forgetting everything you can do because of something you can't? ... Seems pretty ungrateful to suggest they didn't support modding with M2TW.
    I was talking in general,they say they support us but they won't answer anymore questions about the old games.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

They've answered the question, the engine won't support it and they won't invest either the time or energy to change it. The fact that you don't like that answer is immaterial because it is still the answer.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

is there a way to add a new ground_type? or is that hard-coded as well?

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

@Toho -it's hard coded

Hey, folks.
    It might sound noob, but is the armor upgrade increment hard-coded to 1? I've only edited the
    ;stat_armour_ex line exp_descr_unit file so far.
    Thanks.

Campidoctor

It's hardcoded. Testing has shown that the armour upgrade actually goes up in steps of 2.5 IIRC, although the game only shows it as 1. You can get round it somewhat by setting multiple armour levels to have the same value, this means that the armour value is increase by more that one step in a single upgrade.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

What's the maximum number of visible upgrades for amours, pls? I want to have a unit with 6 (1+5) armour upgrades, is it possible? Thanks in advance.
    Im talking about these lines:
    armour_ug_levels
    armour_ug_models

For future viewers who don't know:
    Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    What's the maximum number of visible upgrades for amours, pls? I want to have a unit with 6 (1+5) armour upgrades, is it possible? Thanks in advance.
    Im talking about these lines:
    armour_ug_levels
    armour_ug_models
    Already answered and solved here:
    Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Solved my problem!

Depends on what you want to do.

If you want armour bonuses, you are stuck with a total of IIRC 8 levels (all included). If you want to trigger model changes, however the limit is not at all clear. You can have, for instance 27 armour levels (from 0 to 26) for a single unit and a building which upgrades to level 99. What happens then is that the unit is upgraded to level 27 in terms of its model, but the bonus score will be 26 mod 8 = 2. In other words armour_ug_models entry #26 is chosen with an assigned amour_ug_level of 2 points.
    -Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

boboav's Avatar Decanus

Hi, we found a new hardcoded parameter: In descr_model_strat you can not get more than 256 "type"
    Modder of "Bellum Crucis" and "De Bello Mundi"