View Poll Results: Your favourite unit class is:

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • ARCHERS (longbows, desert, bulgarian, trebizond, jannissary archers...)

10 8.33%
  • MISSILE THROWERS (spear and naptha throwers )

7 5.83%
  • XBOWS/PAVISE ARBALESTERS

1 0.83%
  • GUNNERS (hand-guns, arquebussies, musketeers)

3 2.50%
  • PRE-GUNPOWDER ARTY (ballistas, catapults, trebuchets)

1 0.83%
  • GUNPOWDER ARTY

2 1.67%
  • SPEARMEN (levies, militia spears, sergeants, saracen inf ...)

2 1.67%
  • SWORDSMEN (d-feodal/chivalric knights, 2 hand swordsmen)

24 20.00%
  • AXEMEN AND 2HANDED POLEARMS (d-knights, vikings, billmen, varangians, JHI)

12 10.00%
  • PIKEMEN/HALBERDS (swiss pikes, tercios, aventuros, halberd militias, etc.)

12 10.00%
  • FANATICS (ghazis, piligrims, crusade and jihad zelous units)

1 0.83%
  • SUPER-ELITE KNIGHTS (templars and other orders, lancers, gothic knights)

18 15.00%
  • HEAVY CAVALRY (mailed/feodal knights, chivalric knights, katapraktoi...)

9 7.50%
  • LIGHT CAVALRY (hobilars, demi lancers and the like)

1 0.83%
  • MISSILE CAVALRY (spear-throwing, horse archers and gunpowder armed cav)

9 7.50%
  • CAMELS rulez OMG!111!!

1 0.83%
  • ELEPHANTS ownz teh all LOL

2 1.67%
  • GAH! PEASANTS kicks a$$

5 4.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ***What's your favourite UNIT class?***

Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar Dueling it out
    Citizen

Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Universe, lol

Icon5 ***What's your favourite UNIT class?***

Hello M2TW players, fans and history buffs

I enjoyed MTW very much back in the days. The game was addictive as hell. Although it is quite old now (graphics, campaign map, sound, etc. wise), still it's way more addictive than RTW or M2TW imo - it has that special
    formula that you can't see, touch, but must feel (yes it was simpler, but with much more heartwork done and felt like a polished game). And although MTW was quite graphically poor, it made you use your imagination more imo and that made it special for me.
    Still I love M2TW too, of course! It's an awesome modern game, just I don't understand why they removed those good old features (city view, unit advanced morale info in battle, civil wars, titles, rank bonuses etc. and especially glorious achievements why the heck did they take it out, it was one of the best features)

Nevertheless, one thing I really liked about MTW was unit classes and how each unit had its advantages and Achilles kneel at the same time in classic rock-scissors-paper fashion, (like spears beat cav, cav beat swords, swords beat spears, inf missile beats everyone at range, but looses up-close, etc.)
    Lady Frogbeastegg has done tremendous work in her MTW unit guide http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31444, which I find useful even for M2TW today with my own edited/balanced unit stats (basically the core units that were in MTW are now in M2TW)

So, now that units look so gorgeous graphically as never before, I'm asking you M2TW fellows, what your favourite unit class and unit from it is?
    Please vote in the poll and comment your choice, txs.

Optionally, to make this thread more than just a poll, name one unit from each 4 strategic unit groups (missiles, arty, infantry, cavalry), which you find the best stat, most attractive, coolest-bad-ass looking, somewhat special, whatever just name the class and unit (additionally why is it so special). Thank you.

My favourite unit class is missile cavalry - I just love to lay back, watch the storm of arrows unleashed, enemy units harassed to the death, shot to pieces and finally routers mopped up. That's what I call unfair warfare MUHAHAH! One of the versatille unit types, esp if it has some armour too.
    Fav unit from this class - dvor cavalry, cause they are one of the best HAs in the game, look original and different + they and horses are nicely armoured, they have composite bows and russia is an interesting and hard faction (mongol invasion, start poor)

Missile inf - retinue longbowmen they totally own everyone at range and I find so many uses with their stakes (feels like cheating)
    Arty - basilisk, nothing better than a big boom and path of dead bodies through ranks
    Light/heavy infantry - varangian guard pwnz, love that animation where they 'chop off the head' and in MTW this unit had a special meaning to me
    Cavalry - fully upgraded knights templar - the fiercest knights of crusades! + they look like angels, but fight like devils haha

Good fighting in medieval world, see you on the battlefield!
    Last edited by Grand Duke Vytautas; April 26, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
    “Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” ― Tacitus

Default Re: What's your favourite unit class?

Heavy calvary owns. They usually are the ones that get the most kills in most of my battles. I really like the English knights, they look sweet.

You have to love archers in this game, especially longbowmen. Archers are of greater use in this game than in RTW because they can now shoot OVER your front lines instead of shoting your infantry in the back.
    End of an era

arquebussies and musketeers are a load of fun if they are protected well

Dunecat's Avatar Praefectus

Swordsmen.

Zweihanders. Forlorn Hope. Dismounted Gothic Knights.

Game over, babay.

k_161's Avatar Miles

Camels i just love em

"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and therefore I am no beast"

Dolbster's Avatar Libertus

Swordsman, cant beat the that good old hack 'n' slashing plus swordsman can take on most things quite well and are just plain fun to watch

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

Specifically pikemen.
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Well, I would have voted Swordsmen like most of you, but to give the MISSILE THROWERS category a winning chance, I vote it. I like to use Javelin units and such, its just a pity that no Swordsmen units carry Javelins like in Rome: Total War anymore (like Legionaries, Scutarii, etc...).

Friend
    Moderator Emeritus

Sword and shield infantry are always my favourite medieval soldier. But then of course everyone loves heavy knights charging.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

I picked Missile Throwers.

Almuhgavars and Lusitanian Javelinmen destroy because of the armor piercing ranged attack and good melee abilities.
    Patronized by happyho in the Legion of Rahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Debs
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

DEFIANTLY foot archers....they are way better than artillery

BYZANTIUM WILL LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rhetoric is the art of controlling the minds of men"
    Plato

I shall end your life before ever you reach me
    The pleasure about a dream is that it's a fantasy. If it ever came real then it wasn't a dream.

i agree.........you cant be beaten if they cant even touch you!

BYZANTIUM WILL LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Rhetoric is the art of controlling the minds of men"
    Plato

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

Swords men, + they look unstoppable when there fully upg, with armour, and wpns, metal armor protecting from toe, to neck!

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

FightingSpirit's Avatar Libertus

Archers: I hold a great love for the Retinue, as they shoot down whole battalions of infantry, while holding off cavalry with stakes, all while wiping the floor with the enemy archers. Also, even if the enemy reaches them, the Retinue doubles as infantry, sword and sheild infantry!
    We who are the rest of the people raised our hearts and eyes to the heavens, crying that God grant us strength, and turn away from us the power of the French- King Henry V

if you have patch 1.2 and the tweek animation for it the two-handed units rule Billmen become lethal.

Archers would have to be my favourite unit, but particularly those hybrid archers who's mellee stats allow them to fight hand to hand. Byzantine Guard Archers, Scots Guard, Norse Archers, Dismounted Dvor, Venetian Archers and upgraded Retinue Longbowmen. Overall I would put Ottoman Infantry at the top. For the price, their end stats are absolutely superb.

Ottoman Infantry: 12 attack, 20 defense
    Price: 670/150

With their armor upgrades and free chevron they make quality mellee troops, and they're already excellent archers. What they lack compared to other units (the chunky missile attack of 11 that dismounted Dvor boast or the AP abilities of longbows) they make up for in their flexibility thanks to their overall toughness. They do not require intimate support from spearmen or cavalry, and can venture about more freely to strike at the flanks and rear of your enemies units.

Yes, tactically, they're just a cool, versatile unit. Excellent at defending walls, alternately firing volleys at the attacker, or fighting to drive off units delivered via tower or ladder, you can even pull them off the wall to have them bolster the defence of a gate or a breach if your spears are being overwhelmed. On the offensive, they're just as useful, send them up in strength over ladders where they'll butcher most cheap militias before forcing the enemy to pull back from chokepoints like breaches and gates with volleys of arrows, allowing you to bring your assault troops inside to attack on multiple fronts.

Add to all that, with their round shields slung over their backs (then put up for mellee) and their curved swords and mail armor, they look the buisiness. Definately they're my favourite unit.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

My favorite is MISSILE CAVALRY

Mobility and firepower => nothing can compete with that.
    You can melee and shoot, and run. Nothing else can do that.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar Dueling it out
    Citizen

Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Universe, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan View Post
    My favorite is MISSILE CAVALRY

Mobility and firepower => nothing can compete with that.
    You can melee and shoot, and run. Nothing else can do that.
    Yes, that's why I like missile cav too - that's what I call versatility and combined arms approach
    Imagine if M2TW supported 3 weapons. I can only dream about head-to-toe armoured katapractoi firstly swiftening enemy with arrows, then thunderously charging with lances piercing enemies formation and then banging everyone to death with maces up-close. It was actually historical tactics of Byzantines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzanti...and_strategies
    “Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” ― Tacitus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast