Thread: Faction Thread: The English

Default Faction Thread: The English

I have been wondering how the English should be portrayed in RTW so everyone who can help with this, post info and research on England here.

Default Re: Faction Thread: The English

Well, the ideal thing would be to find an English specific historian ... becuse becuse the history of Scotland often involves England (for reasons good or bad, mostly bad) I have some elementry knowledge but hardly enough to call adequate ... still, It a topic I think we should all consider as England had a profound affect on Europe.

I have quite an extensive knowledge on English history around this period. Not in the least part because I live here. I wouldn't mind serving as English-specific historian as well as the Ottoman's.

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Well, it seems OK to me.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

well, sabre can you tell us some stuff on england? i know very little of early rennaisance armies in england and i dont know if anyone else knows much about it. thanks!

I'm english but I don't know all that much about English history at this time. I do know that England was behind the rest of Europe during the early part of the time period covered by this mod, still relying on knights, polearms and longbows, many other European nations having moved on to Pike and Shot. There were also distinct differences in dress between the English and their continental neighbours, armour was also different, as time progressed though, the differences between England and the rest of Europe started to lessen, England adopting the pike and shot warfare of the continent, by the time of the Spanish armada longbows were becoming comparatively rare, replaced by the easier to use arquebus.

Yeah, serious samurai is right, English armies were somewhat behind in the Renaissance arms race. If you take, for example, the army at Flodden, they still relied on the bill and longbow, had inferior artillery to the Scots (although better-trained and positioned) and still lacked a true professional army, although the longbowmen of the period could be classed as career soldiers.

P.S Flodden

Copying the unit list by Yggdrasil

English units, 1490-1555 period

I hesitated posting this, since I know a great many people are keen on England as their favorite faction, and most probably everybody has an idea how an English faction unit line up should look like. But, since nobody posted anything, here goes...

Cavalry:

1. Gentleman Pensioners or Household Cavalry - full barded horse, using Lancers model and texture, if possible this should be a bodyguard unit (is it possible to give unique names to bodyguard units, other that the usual ‘Bodyguard’?)
    2. Men-at-arms - Gendarmes model, no horse bard, very expensive (the English had problems fielding heavy cav)
    3. Demi-lancer - two armour levels, I think the unit in vanilla M2TW is fine for the mod (both the lighter and the heavier version)…
    4. Petronels - mounted arquebusier unit
    5. Border Reivers
    6. Prickers - another light cav unit

Infantry:

1. Retinue longbowmen - this unit has too much armour, it should lose leg armour I think
    2. Yeomen longbowmen - Level 1 and 2 are fine, Level 3 is too old looking
    3. Longbow militia - using a model and texture of the Longbowmen unit
    4. Pike militia - early era pikes
    5. Swordsmen
    6. Bill militia - can use the same model and texture except Level 3, which is too old looking, instead should use the model and texture of the Heavy bill militia unit
    7. Billmen - can use the same model and texture except Level 3, which is too old looking, 8. Trained band billmen - renaissance era billmen
    9. Trained band pikemen - renaissance era pikemen
    10. Halberdiers - early era halberdiers
    11. Yeomen of the Guard - renaissance era halberdier
    12. Harquebusiers - Level 1 is without armour, level 2 is with armour (the heavy arquebusier unit that is included in the beta version)
    13. Musketeers
    14. Targeteers - sword and buckler unit
    15. Dismounted men-at-arms
    16. Handgunners

I am not sure about crossbowmen. The English didn't really use crossbowmen except as mercenaries, so I don't think we should include them.

I don't really have enough time to work as English historian anymore; I've started modding the AOR for the Diadochi mod as well as ours.

the list is okay. i have proven it with my sources!

use it !

you should not forget about atrillery!

Default Re: Faction Thread: The English cavalry - lack of

Hi Just downloaded this mod today. it's good fun.

But can't figure out why the English cannot recruit any cavalry at all? Is this a bug that will be fixed or deliberate?

Also, the fact the all the units you can recruit are available at the first level of buildings, it gets dull pretty quick.

But i understand its still a work in progress. Any idea when latest update will be?

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

:hmmm: Indeed, the English has no cavalry. Justme did the recruitment system in the spirit of retaining historical accuracy; probably no cavalry unit from the original roster fitted well.
    I also think upgrading buildings should have more sense; justme wanted the mod to be more war-like, so that you don't need to concentrate on settlement management. Probably there'll be something done about it.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

What dates does this mod cover.
    In the wars of the roses (1480 or so) their were a few English cavalry charges.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

To be totally accurate, England should have the Calais region at the beginning...