Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CILICIAN ARMENIA -finished-

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: CILICIAN ARMENIA -finished-

Quote Originally Posted by IrAr View Post
    What do you mean by special characters? The Armenian alphabet is not a derivative of the Latin one, as you probably know.
    I do know this, but the Latin alphabet is not the only one that uses special characters. For instance: Basileia tōn Rhōmaiōn - This is Greek, but using Latin characters...also - al-Fātimiyyūn, Arabic with Latin characters. The Armenian example provided also uses Latin characters...

So, yes, that is what I mean.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Fra70 View Post
    sure if something is really needed to make it more historically accurate
    Very well then, soon I'll post what to add /change with information, pics etc
    "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

General George S. Patton Jr.

Eastern\Armenian historical advisor for RomaSurrectum
    Historical Consultant for The Sicilian Vespers

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

Let's start with the units and their names + some titles:

Ayrudzi- (“cavalry”)- all cavalry units.

Aspatak – light cavalry unit

Medium Mountaineer Cavalry- with Spears

Medium Mountaineer Cavalry- with Axes

Azat Heavy Cavalry- with Swords

Aspet Heavy Cavalry- with Lancers

Hospitaller Heavy Cavalry- with Lancers and Swords

Nakharar Heavy Cavalry- with weapon mix like: Axes, Swords, Mace etc

Sepuh Heavy Cavalry- with Swords (?)

Malkhazakan Heavy Cavalry- (“Royal Guard”)- with Maces

Sparapetakan Heavy Cavalry- (“Army commander with his bodyguards”)- with (?)

Medium Mountaineer Missile Cavalry

Medium (City) Missile Cavalry

Heavy Missile Cavalry- turkish-mongolian type.

Hetevak- (or Hetelazor, “infantry”)- all infantry unts.

Shinakan Zorq- light infantry units.

Ashkharazor- light/medium infantry units (in reserve during a battle).

Medium Mountaineer Spearmen

Heavy (City) Spearmen

Kentronakan Gund- (heavy infantry “central force”)- the elite of infantry units (close to spearmens with phalanx formation).
    Shertavor Zorq Medium/Heavy- with Axes

Gugaz Medium/Heavy Infantry- with Maces

Wishaps (in translation "Dragons", storm and protect units for castleswalls, citywalls etc) Medium/Heavy infantry special recreated from Armenian highlands, head task to storm or protect walls.

Latin Auxilia

Hospitaller Heavy Foot Knights

Nakharars Dismounted Heavy Infantry- with weapon mix like: Axes, Swords, Mace etc

Sepuh Heavy Infantry- with Swords

Malkhazakan Gund- (“Royal Gurad”) Elite Heavy Infantry- with (?)

Netadziqner – ("Aarchers")- all infantry archer units.

Ligh Archers

Medium Mountaineer Archers

Medium (City) Archers

Heavy Longbowmen Archers- Mongolian type/model with good skills in close combat

Mountaineer Crossbows

Latin Crossbows (with larg shields)

Mountaineer Handgunners

INFORMATION: All other units like ex. Norman knights, French Tempelar Knight etc fought with Armenian army but they weren't in Armenian regular army force.

SOME TITLES

Azat - (azat, verbatim - "free", initially, apparently, "godly" from the the Aryan yazata) noble, aristocrat. Term goes back to the the Aryan yazata, which verbatim indicates "godly", "having godly origin", "worthy of worship". Sometimes (in the late history of Armenia) by azats was understood small nobility, in contrast to nakharars, the representatives of Great Nobels it was ancestral. See also aznavur.

Amrots - (amroc,). Fortress or another form of the fastened settling. All amrots in historical Armenia were the property of any aristocratic kind.

Arqa - (tsar, king). Word Arqa originates from the general Aryan roots, which was preserved in the analogs of rulers in other Indo-European languages: arxatos (it is Greek), raja (indoariysk.), regnum (regia) (it is Latin), roi (it is French). In the Middle Ages, Arqa increasingly more frequently it began to be substituted by the term of Tagavor, what verbatim indicates "monarch", while in Cilician Armenia by the word of Inknakal - "autocrat"

Arqayadustr - (arqayadowstr, "King’s daughter") the daughter of king, the princess. In contrast to the European monarchies, status of the princes descendants of feminine sex in Armenia there were somewhat below. They did not use many priveleges and rights, including right to the succession to the throne.

Arqayazn - (arkayazn) the son of king, prince. In Armenia more frequently was used the term of Sepuh (Sepukh). Special position used by Sepuh Avag.

Aspet - (aspet) 1) The holder of Kings Crown (Crowner of king) in historical Armenia. This service was the inherit of the Bagratuni Nobels and was transferred by the inheritance to the representatives of Bagratuni's family. Accordingly, Bagratuni were sometimes named Aspet or Tagadir Aspets, and as their ancestral surname sometimes was used Aspetn or Aspetuni. 2) Knight, the soldier- rider of aristocratic origin in medieval Armenia (in essence in Cilician Armenia).

Bdeshkh - (bdeshx) The halfdepended ruler of the near-boundary region of Great Armenia. Bdeshkh was considered the vassal of the Great Kings of Great Armenia, but he was actually viceroy and it had very wide authorities; it had its army, it stamped coin, gathered taxes and was the head of the law court. Bdeshkhs were the second after King persons in the pyramid of the administration of Great Armenia. The title Bdeshkh was transferred by the inheritance from the father to the eldest son. The same title was preserved up to the middle ages in Armenian kingdom of Cilicia.

Berd - (berd). Fortress, Castle. All fortresses in historical Armenia were the property of any aristocratic kind. See also Amrots.

Berdater - or (Berdater Paron) - (berdater, the "ruler of fortress") one of the titles of the highest aristocracy in TheKingdom of Cilician Armenia. Judging by the name, title was awarded to nobles, to vassals of Armenian king, who possessed its own fortresses. Usually, the title of Berdater was above title of paron.

Dziavor - (dziawor, "horseman") together with Hetselvor, one of the general names knights in The Armenian Kingdom Of Cilicia.

Paron - (distorted from baron) 1) one of the titles of aristocracy in Armenian kingdom of Cilicia, which arose under the effect of the European nobility during the crusades, part from which passed through the territory Cilician Armenia. Most probably, paron was below title of Berdater, although in some sources the King of Armenia also is called Paron. The same word passed in contemporary Armenian with the value "Mr.". See also Sinor. 2) the general name of noble in Armenian kingdom of Cilicia. Synonym of more ancient Azat.

Patrick - (patrik from patricius - "having father", other writing of Badrik). Greek analog of aristocrat, Azat, Aznvakana. See also Nakharar and Arkhont.

Sepuh - (sepukh) 1) the junior member of aristocratic family in Armenia. Titels Nahapet, Tanuter, Gaherets Ishkhan either Ishkhan. All the remaining men of aristocratic kind were considered Sepuhs. Special role and place among them occupied the eldest son of aristocratic family - Avag Sepuh, who was considered heir. 2) the son of Imperator or King, prince - Arqayazn. According to tradition, Avag Sepuh inherited King’s throne after the decease of King.

Sepuh Avag - (awag sepukh) 1) the heir of King’s throne in historical Armenia, most frequently the eldest son of the King of Armenia or King of Armenian Cilicia. See also Arqayazn. 2) the heir of princely throne, most frequently the eldest son of prince - Nakharar, Ishkhan, Metsamets. This term left the turning already to the time of the origin of eastern- Armenian melikutyuns in Artsakh, Syunik and Gardmane.

Sinor (or Sinior) - (sinior, distorted from senior) one of the titles of aristocracy in The Armenian kingdom of Cilicia, which arose under the effect of the European nobility during the crusades, part from which passed through the territory of Cilician Armenia. Most probably, Sinor was below title of Berdater. See also paron.

Sparapet - head commander-in-chiefing of Armenian army, the ruler/lider of the court hereditary service -Nakhararutyun of sparapetutyun. This service traditionally headed the Nakharar familymambers of Mamikonean, who were hereditary Sparapet(s) of Great Armenia.

Thagavor - (thagawor, verbatim - "monarch") one of the titles of the Armenian kings of Cilician Armenia. The structure of the Supreme Power of Armenia kingdom of Cilicia was the synthesis of traditional Armenian monarchy and medieval European kingdom. Although between status of the King of Great Armenia and Cilician Armenia were differences, the title of Thagavor as a whole corresponds more hollow to early Arqa. See also Inqnakal.

Hetselavor - (hetzelwor, "rider") one of the names for the knights in the Armenian kingdom of Cilicia. See Dziavor.

Haryurapet - military- commander of one hundred soldier/units. See Hazarapet

Hazarapet - military- commander of one thousand soldiers/units. In historic Armenia every kind of commanders had to be from aristocratic origin, but in Cilician Armenia the aristocratic origin wasn’t necessary. Knights or Riders who were brave in battlefields, tournaments and proved it time after time could have the Titels Haryurapet also Hazarapet.

P.S. I just took titles (mostly military) which were used in Cilician Armenia.

Fra70

If You want I can give you the description about units (in detailes as much as I know (it's known))+ do you need the Royal Symbol of Armenian Royal dynastys? Soldier / Nobel Coats? Pics of soldiers? You want to see all the list about Armenian titles?

Just give me a list of what you would like to see and I'll try to fix it

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Aspatak – light cavalry unit - ( horse archers ...ive them )
    Medium Mountaineer Cavalry- with Spears ( i think that everything is mountain is referred to Great Armenia , can you check it ? )
    Medium Mountaineer Cavalry- with Axes -
    Azat Heavy Cavalry- with Swords (ive azakts with javelins+maces and axes)
    Aspet Heavy Cavalry- with Lancers ( standard armenian cavalry from vanilla)
    Hospitaller Heavy Cavalry- with Lancers and Swords (ive latin mercenaries)
    Nakharar Heavy Cavalry- with weapon mix like: Axes, Swords, Mace etc (are there )
    Sepuh Heavy Cavalry- with Swords (?) ( too similar to nakharar/azakts)
    Malkhazakan Heavy Cavalry- (“Royal Guard”)- with Maces( too similar to nakharars/azakts ? )
    Sparapetakan Heavy Cavalry- (“Army commander with his bodyguards”)- with (?)( there is the bodyguard )
    Medium Mountaineer Missile Cavalry
    Medium (City) Missile Cavalry (horse archers ...ive them )
    Heavy Missile Cavalry- turkish-mongolian type. (as mercenaries in the area)

Shinakan Zorq- light infantry units. ( peasants ? )
    Ashkharazor- light/medium infantry units (town militia ? ).
    Heavy (City) Spearmen ( spearmen militia )
    Kentronakan Gund- (heavy infantry “central force”)- the elite of infantry units (close to spearmens with phalanx formation). ( are there )
    Shertavor Zorq Medium/Heavy- with Axes ( dismounted azakts )

Gugaz Medium/Heavy Infantry- with Maces ( dismounted azakts )
    Wishaps (in translation "Dragons", storm and protect units for castleswalls, citywalls etc) Medium/Heavy infantry special recreated from Armenian highlands, head task to storm or protect walls. ( can be interesting to do)

Hospitaller Heavy Foot Knights ( ive dismounted latin mercenaries )
    Nakharars Dismounted Heavy Infantry- with weapon mix like: Axes, Swords, Mace etc ( dismounted azakts ....)
    Sepuh Heavy Infantry- with Swords ( are there as some western influenced infantry )
    Malkhazakan Gund- (“Royal Gurad”) Elite Heavy Infantry- with (?) ( heavy spearmen , are there ... lol really i cant make too make strong infantry units for armenia , it will change the taste and historic behaviour of the army )

Ligh Archers (armenian archers)
    Medium (City) Archers (armenian archers )
    Heavy Longbowmen Archers- Mongolian type/model with good skills in close combat ( mecenaries in the area)
    Mountaineer Crossbows
    Latin Crossbows (with larg shields) ( yes that can be done )
    Mountaineer Handgunners ( are there )

Plus there are Javelinmen , remember that many units have Ug1,ug2 so the variety is bigger and they can embrace basically more than one kind of unit

any image is welcome

Thank you for the informations , i will look forward to expland and integrate the armenian choices BUT manteining the faction character...

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

Generaly Aspatak cavalry units were all light cavalry (not acher) units which was used for attract the enemy, hit and run, fast ambush etc. Historical Armenia had between 2 to 3 Aspatak units, but I realy don't think that it is necessary to create 2 - 3 light cavalry ubits for Armenia. You are free to choose (give them) between spears, swords etc.

Medium Mountaineer Cavalry- with Spears ( i think that everything is mountain is referred to Great Armenia , can you check it ? )
    Not realy, Cilician kings were Kings of all Armenians (no matter Great Armenia or Cilicia). After Bagratnu dynasty's fall many Bdeshkhs , Nakharars, Azats- (see in titles about the meaning of the words) with their armys moved to Cilician Armenia. We can say like this 60% of all mountain units came (were originaly) from Great Armenia.

Medium Mountaineer Cavalry- with Axes

The right way (correct) of the word is AZAT - (you can also see in Titles). It's not correct, historical Azats weren't armd with maces, but if you want let Azats figh with axes and take off Medium Mountaineer Cavalcry- with axes.

Aspet Heavy Cavalry- with Lancers ( standard armenian cavalry from vanilla)

Hospitaller Heavy Cavalry- with Lancers and Swords (ive latin mercenaries)
    Good, just Hospitaller Heavy Cavalry were in regular Armenian Cavalry units, instead you can put French Knights Tempelar as mercenaries for Cilician Armenia if it's not gonna make big changes in historic behaviour of the army.

Nakharar Heavy Cavalry- with weapon mix like: Axes, Swords, Mace etc (are there )
    Historical yes, they were armed with different weapons (they fought with the weapon which they were comfortabe with / good at. If it is possible the create a unit with weapon mix then it would be great, if not... Tell me so I'll try to find out the most popular weapon which Nakharars used.

Yes, Sepuh Cavalry were similar to Azat Cavalry, the differenses between them were that Sepuh Cavalry's horses were covered with armoury which protected almost all the horse, Azat's horses were protected by horsearmoury from the front part of the horse. I my opinion Sepuh Cavalry is a mix between Azat and Tempelar, just more heavy and powerful.

Malkhazakan Heavy Cavalry- (“Royal Guard”)- with Maces( too similar to nakharars/azakts ? )
    Not realy, if it is possible to create a weapon mix for Nakharars, then they are not to similar. Azat Cavalry is something alse which is not similar to Malkhazakan.

Sparapetakan Heavy Cavalry- (“Army commander with his bodyguards”)- with (?)( there is the bodyguard )
    OK

MediumMountaineer Missile Cavalry

Medium (City) Missile Cavalry (horse archers ...ive them )
    OK

In the beginning they were more like mercenaries, but later Armenians copyed this typ of Cavalry and used them in later periods regular army.

Shinakan Zorq- light infantry units. ( peasants ? )
    YES

Ashkharazor- light/medium infantry units (town militia ? ).
    Similar to it

Hmmm, I'll post the picture so you will decide what they are simiar to, I think It's better like this...

Kentronakan Gund- (heavy infantry “central force”)- the elite of infantry units (close to spearmens with phalanx formation). ( are there )
    Kind of, in SecilianVespers, it's like a "Heavy" spearmen just with longer spears and large shilds + phalanx/pikemen formetion. But in my opinion thre is no unit simiar to it in Total War and my suggestion is that intsad of creating a totaly new unit we can take Scotish Heavy nobel Pikemen and replace them with Kentronakan Gund. It will be more easy, but the last word is after you...

Not realy, but not everything have to be historical accurate, so Dismounted Azats can have axes.

No, If Azats will have axes (which is not historical correct, but as I said up not everything have to historical accurate) then Gugaz can have maces- which is historical accurate.

Wishaps (in translation "Dragons", storm and protect units for castleswalls, citywalls etc) Medium/Heavy infantry special recreated from Armenian highlands, head task to storm or protect walls. ( can be interesting to do)
    Glad to hear that

Hmmm, they were in regular army force, tempelar foot knights can be mercenaries if you don't mind.

Nakharars Dismounted Heavy Infantry- with weapon mix like: Axes, Swords, Mace etc ( dismounted azakts ....)
    No, it is same as for Nakharar Cavalry, let me know if it isn't possible.

Sepuh Heavy Infantry- with Swords ( are there as some western influenced infantry )
    YES

Malkhazakan Gund- (“Royal Gurad”) Elite Heavy Infantry- with (?) ( heavy spearmen , are there ... lol really i cant make too make strong infantry units for armenia , it will change the taste and historic behaviour of the army )
    Malkhazakan gund had better armourer then Gugaz in evey way.
    Actually Great Armenia had better Cavalry then Infantry units, but Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia was 50% - 50% influenced by western armys, crusades.

Ligh Archers (armenian archers)
    Can work

Don't know what you mean by (Armenian archers), but I can tell you the differenses between Mountain and "City" archers: City archers had better armourer for protection and a litle bit longer bow.

Heavy Longbowmen Archers- Mongolian type/model with good skills in close combat ( mecenaries in the area)
    Same story as for Heavy missile Cavalry- turo-mongolian typ...

Mountaineer Crossbows

Good!

Mountaineer Handgunners ( are there )
    I'll post the picture (recreation) of them soon.
    Last edited by ARMENIOS; May 15, 2007 at 12:49 PM.

Generaly Aspatak cavalry units were all light cavalry (not acher) units which was used for attract the enemy, hit and run, fast ambush etc. Historical Armenia had between 2 to 3 Aspatak units, but I realy don't think that it is necessary to create 2 - 3 light cavalry ubits for Armenia. You are free to choose (give them) between spears, swords etc.
    ---ok i agree , i will find a way to insert a light cavalry

Not realy, Cilician kings were Kings of all Armenians (no matter Great Armenia or Cilicia). After Bagratnu dynasty's fall many Bdeshkhs , Nakharars, Azats- (see in titles about the meaning of the words) with their armys moved to Cilician Armenia. We can say like this 60% of all mountain units came (were originaly) from Great Armenia.
    --- the problem is , what make different a mountain unit ? You have to show me that ( both in dressing and in abilities ) btw no more than 1 mountain unit

The right way (correct) of the word is AZAT - (you can also see in Titles). It's not correct, historical Azats weren't armd with maces, but if you want let Azats figh with axes and take off Medium Mountaineer Cavalcry- with axes.
    --- we have to live with that

Historical yes, they were armed with different weapons (they fought with the weapon which they were comfortabe with / good at. If it is possible the create a unit with weapon mix then it would be great, if not... Tell me so I'll try to find out the most popular weapon which Nakharars used.
    -- they have swords because i cant make them use different weapons

Yes, Sepuh Cavalry were similar to Azat Cavalry, the differenses between them were that Sepuh Cavalry's horses were covered with armoury which protected almost all the horse, Azat's horses were protected by horsearmoury from the front part of the horse. I my opinion Sepuh Cavalry is a mix between Azat and Tempelar, just more heavy and powerful.
    -- ok that can be done ...slight different azats with armoured horse

Not realy, if it is possible to create a weapon mix for Nakharars, then they are not to similar. Azat Cavalry is something alse which is not similar to Malkhazakan.
    -- then what are they ? i need to know if its worth to make them

In the beginning they were more like mercenaries, but later Armenians copyed this typ of Cavalry and used them in later periods regular army.
    -- i can do another kind of armenian horse archer

Hmmm, I'll post the picture so you will decide what they are simiar to, I think It's better like this...
    --- ok lets see

Kind of, in SecilianVespers, it's like a "Heavy" spearmen just with longer spears and large shilds + phalanx/pikemen formetion. But in my opinion thre is no unit simiar to it in Total War and my suggestion is that intsad of creating a totaly new unit we can take Scotish Heavy nobel Pikemen and replace them with Kentronakan Gund. It will be more easy, but the last word is after you...
    -- can be a nice idea

Not realy, but not everything have to be historical accurate, so Dismounted Azats can have axes.
    -- even because the word historically accurate is not historically accurate imo

No, If Azats will have axes (which is not historical correct, but as I said up not everything have to historical accurate) then Gugaz can have maces- which is historical accurate.
    --- yes but since its difficult to say the differente in hand to hand between maces and axes we can live with that ?

Glad to hear that

Hmmm, they were in regular army force, tempelar foot knights can be mercenaries if you don't mind.
    -- give their quite high number ive made this "depowered" version of latinkons for both byzantium and armenia

No, it is same as for Nakharar Cavalry, let me know if it isn't possible.
    --its not a big deal to make dismounted nakharar but again we are giving armenia something that is not historical like very powerful infantry , i would like to avoid that

Malkhazakan gund had better armourer then Gugaz in evey way.
    Actually Great Armenia had better Cavalry then Infantry units, but Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia was 50% - 50% influenced by western armys, crusades.
    --- so we have them

Don't know what you mean by (Armenian archers), but I can tell you the differenses between Mountain and "City" archers: City archers had better armourer for protection and a litle bit longer bow.
    -- ok for now ive the standard vanilla armenian archers , since its the mountain version i think we can do a better armoured version

Same story as for Heavy missile Cavalry- turo-mongolian typ...
    -- we will avoid that for gameplay

Good!

looks incredible and i like challenge that would be presented by playing as the armenians
    - beta tester for Paeninsula Italica

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

Fra70

General Information and some pictures:

BATTLEHORSES:

Nakharars, Azats, Sepuhs, Malkhazakan Gund (Royal Gurad), Aspets and Sparapet used Armenian battlehorses. Armenian (specially Arthakh) type of horses. The differences between european horses and armenian horses were that armenian horses (battlehorses) were a bit shorter then european, but more powerful (for front attack) and had better endurance.
    QUESTION: Is it possible to create a horsetyp (battlehorse) like this???

Differences between City-(fortres/stronghold/castle) units and mountain units:

Units from Armenian Highland regions mostly were Light and Medium armed due to they didn't have good resources to buy (get) an advanced armourer as ex. units from citys, castles etc. Generaly mounatin units were used for ambushes, fast hit etc. They had better endurance compared to heavy armed city & fortres units + better battle experience (skills).

General CAVALRY DIFFERENCES (Heavy and Medium):

EX. Nakharars- second best armourer of all cavalry units (see picture 1). Heavy advanced armourer which protected them also heavy horseamourer which coverd his battlehorse.

EX. Azats- Medium armourer for them (not this advanced as Nakharars, Royal Gurads etc), horsearmourer closed (protected) front part of the battlehorse and usualy Azat's battlehorses were coverd by "horsecloth" (see picture 2).

EX. Armenian Knight Hospitaller used european horses due to French, German, "Italyan" etc - WESTERN influenced. (I'll post soon the picture of Armenian Knight Hospitaller on Cilician coin).

More information and pics to be posted soon...

Nakharar Heavy Cavalry: (This picture is a recreation by historians I. Dzis and A. Sherbakov)-

Azat "Early" Medium Cavalry: (This pictures A & B is a "early", "later" C, recreation of Azat Cavalry "from Ani city" during Bagratuni time in Great Armenia)-

A)

B)

C) Later period ~from 1100, just change his sword to axe (as it is in this Mod) and put some amourer on the fron part of the horse and "horsecloth" on the battlehorse.

MORE TO COME IN MY NEXT POST:
    Last edited by ARMENIOS; May 17, 2007 at 11:39 AM.

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

CONTINUATION:

Mountain Medium Cavalry Units 1) A & B, 2)

Historical Armenia used two type of mountain units, they were armed with spears and swords/axes. I'll post picturs of both units, but if I have to choose, then I prefer Mountain Medium Spearmens. (See pictures 1) A & B)

Sepuh Heavy Lancer Cavalry 3)

I don't need to describe for you what they used lances for, you know that better. Just in close combat Sepuhs used their swords. (See picture 3)

1) Mountain Medium Spear Cavalry A & B

A)

B)

2) Mountain Medium Sword Cavalry

Sepuh Heavy Lancer Cavalry

IN MY NEXT POST I WILL WRITE WITH SOME PICTURES ABOUT ARMENIAN KNIGHT HOSPITALLER, MALKHAZAKAN GUND ("ROYAL GUARD") AND SOME INFORMATION ABOUT ASPETS- WHICH ARE SIMILAR TO KNIHGTS TEMPLAR.
    AFTER THAT I START WITH INFANTRY UNITS...

I love it you guys definately dont skimp on units. This is probably gonna be one of the greatest sets of eastern horsemen. Eagerly waiting!

-Sean

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

CONTINUATION:

In this post I'll write about "Armenia Helmets"- (used by Armenian units) with pictures:

1) Very common for mountain units, ex Armenian Medium Mountain Spearmen Cvalry, Axe Cvalry and some infantry units.

2) Nakharar Heavy Cavalry & dismounted Infantry. In my post ( May 17, 2007 03:09 PM) you can see a pic of Nakharar Cavalry, on the side of his horse hanging his helmet (a better version- "more advanced & expensive").

3) Mask Helmet: Armenian Heavy archers infantry (which was created on mongolian type) & Heavy Archer Cavalry (created on mongolian type) used generally this kind of Helmets as well as Sparapet Cavalry (the commander of Armenian army) with his bodyguards & The Elite Infantry Unit- Kentronakan Gund

4) Some infantry units in late period (generally light infantry) used this kind of helmets.

5) Due to European influence (mostly Crusades) Armenian units also used their type of armourer + helmets. Ex. Armenian Medium / Heavy Axe Infantry.

6) Sepuh Heavy Lancer Cavalry "The Helmet", (see picture of the unit in my post from (May 17, 2007 09:14 PM)

7)Armenian Knight Hospitaller, Malkasakan Gund "Royal Guard", Aspet Cavalry- (which is Armenian Knight Templar) used this kind of Helmet:

PICTURES OF ARMENIAN KNIGH HOSPITALLER, THE ROYAL GUARD YOU'LL FIND IN MY NEXT POST. AFTER THAT I'LL START WITH INFANTRY AND ARCHER UNITS.
    Last edited by ARMENIOS; May 31, 2007 at 10:04 AM.

the last 2 kinds of helmets are in europe starting by 1400-1450 ... they looks a bit odd for armenians while the one in the picture is more understandable .
    The first 4 pictures are very useful but remember that we can use what there is already...

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

the last 2 kinds of helmets are in europe starting by 1400-1450 ... they looks a bit odd for armenians while the one in the picture is more understandable .
    The first 4 pictures are very useful but remember that we can use what there is already...
    The last 2 helmets aren't exactly as in the pic, they was (less or more) silimar to it.

At the end ive decided to insert 3 more Armenian Units ... that will make armenia a total , complete and intersting faction to play ...
    Along with some modifies to horse barding and textures that 3 units will be inserted

Kentronakan Gund - a sort of heavy pikemen elite infantry
    Heavy Armenian Archers - Archers more protected than standard ones
    Armenian Light Cavalry - Light cavalry of mountain or lesser class origins

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

At the end ive decided to insert 3 more Armenian Units ... that will make armenia a total , complete and intersting faction to play ...
    Along with some modifies to horse barding and textures that 3 units will be inserted

Kentronakan Gund - a sort of heavy pikemen elite infantry
    Heavy Armenian Archers - Archers more protected than standard ones
    Armenian Light Cavalry - Light cavalry of mountain or lesser class origins
    Good , but I still have more information and pics about Cavalry and Infantry units. Do you want to see them (for maybe some changes / addings)?

yes of course

It is good to have Armenia fully completed.

Btw Fra, about the Kiphacks.

Are you making good progress there?
    And if you are, what is the next Faction to be skinned?

im not ... implementing the mod to be fully operational under 1.2 is getting alot of time ... btw for now we have alot of new shiny shields ...

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

CONTINUATION:

ASPET Heavy Cavalry "EARLY" (See pic 1)

In later version Aspets also used "horsecloth" on their battlehorse.
    Aspets were Armenian Knight Templar. In picture 1 you can see Armenian Aspet Cavalrymen "Early" (most likely before first Crusade).

Armenian Heavy Knight Hospitaller (See pic 2)

This picture is from Armenian Cilician coin.
    Armenian Knights Hospitaller as well as Aspets= (Armenian Knights Templar) were equiped in same way as European Knights Templar & Hospitaller.
    Differences between Aspets, Armenian Hospitaller and the rest of Armenian Cavalry were that Aspets and Hospitaller used european horses (and european armourer) on the other hand rest of Armenian Cavalry used Armenian battle horses (more information about Armenian battle horses you can find in my previous post May 17, 2007, 03:09 PM ).

Heavy Cavalry: Malkhasakan Gund- "THE ROYAL GUARD" (See pic 3)

DUTY - HONOR - COURAGE - BROTHERHOOD
    FIGHT TO THE DEATH IN ORDER TO PROTECT THE KING AND TO DEFEND THE KINGDOM FROM FOREIGN INVADERS.
    THE KING'S ROYAL GUARD WAS MADE UP OF THE BEST OF ARMENIAN, TEUTONIC AND FRANKISH KNIGHTS. (See also Dismounted Royal Guard, coming soon).

Frederic I (Barbarossa) and Armenian Cilicia (See pic 4)

THE HOLY ROMAN EMPEROR FREDERIC BARBAROSSA [1123-1190] WAS ONE OF THE LEADERS OF THE THIRD CRUSADE. A CLOSE FRIEND OF LEVON THE MAGNIFICENT [TEUTONIC ORDER] HE DROWNED WHILE CROSSING A RIVER IN CILICIAN ARMENIA AS HE WAS CLAD IN HEAVY ARMOR AND THE ACCOMPANYING ARMENIAN KNIGHTS SCRAMBLED IN VEIN TO SAVE HIM FROM BEING SUBMERGED UNDER WATER.

Long Battle swords of Armenian Units "some". Both Cavalry & Infantry (See pic 5).

TWO OF THE LONG BATTLE SWORDS OF THE ARMENIAN KNIGHTS FOUND DURING ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXCAVATIONS BEARING THE MARKINGS OF KING LEVON THE MAGNIFICENT INCLUDING THE PATRIARCHAL CROSS.

OFFICIAL DECREE [VERTRAG] ISSUED BY THE TEUTONIC ORDER IN 1271 IN ARMENIAN AND OTHERS (SEE PICS 6A, 6B, 6C, 6D, 6E).

OFFICIAL DECREE [VERTRAG] ISSUED BY THE TEUTONIC ORDER IN 1271 IN
    ARMENIAN -- ONE OF THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGES OF THE BROTHERHOOD.
    KING LEVON THE MAGNIFICENT WAS AMONGST THE FOUNDING MEMBERS
    IN 1198 AND MANY ARMENIAN KNIGHTS WERE MEMBERS OF THE ORDER.
    THE KING'S BODYGUARDS AND ROYAL GUARD WERE MADE UP OF THE BEST OF ARMENIAN, TEUTONIC
    AND FRANKISH KNIGHTS. NOTE THE TRADITIONAL ARMENIAN SPLIT
    [EIGHT-POINTED FISH TAIL] CROSS THAT WOULD LATER EVOLVE
    INTO THE MALTESE CROSS.

1) ASPET HEAVY CAVALRY "EARLY"

2) ARMENIAN HEAVY KNIGHT HOSPITALLER

ARMENIAN HEAVY CAVALRY: THE ROYAL GUARD

FREDERIC I BARBAROSSA & ARMENIAN CILICIA

LONG BATTLE SWORDS

OFFICIAL DECREE [VERTRAG] ISSUED BY THE TEUTONIC ORDER IN ARMENIA

A)

B)

C)

D)

E)

My next post will be about Armenian Symbols and after that Armenian Infantry units.

P.S. Special thanks to Ermeni for his healp & +1 rep.

Last edited by ARMENIOS; June 09, 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast