Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with science/math schoolwork? Post here!

Default Re: Need help with science/math schoolwork? Post here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernem View Post
    Level of NADH (FADH), and probably availability of ADP + Pi in Mitos
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungalley View Post
    I think you've got all 5. I'll pop in if something else comes to my head.
    thanks

Hi all,

I know I have a "Graphing Calculators" thread going but:

What do you mathematicians/engineers/physicists IF any of you do that work or are students to become one of the forementioned believe to be the best Graphing Calculator(s) and where can I being a poor working class fellow find, good powerful graphing software that is AFFORDABLE?

I know about Mathematica but $3000 ain't cool when your po'

Composite question, I know.
    Thanks!
    hellas1

When you say powerful graphing software, how powerful do you mean? if it is just 2D lines, MSExcel would work fine.

Hi Sphere,

I mean 3d graphing calculators and I mean 3d rendering mathematical software also.
    Sorry I didn't clarify.

Thanks again,
    hellas1

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by hellas1 View Post
    Hi all,

I know I have a "Graphing Calculators" thread going but:

What do you mathematicians/engineers/physicists IF any of you do that work or are students to become one of the forementioned believe to be the best Graphing Calculator(s) and where can I being a poor working class fellow find, good powerful graphing software that is AFFORDABLE?

I know about Mathematica but $3000 ain't cool when your po'

Composite question, I know.
    Thanks!
    hellas1
    If you are a student, you can get Mathematica way cheaper than that.

@ChrisCase,

I'm not a student. Been done that since May 2006, Although I might get my Master's degree in Clinical or Cognitive Psychology!

Any other recommendations for 3d calculators besides TI, Casio and HP?
    Thanks,
    hellas1

Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by hellas1 View Post
    @ChrisCase,

I'm not a student. Been done that since May 2006, Although I might get my Master's degree in Clinical or Cognitive Psychology!

Any other recommendations for 3d calculators besides TI, Casio and HP?
    Thanks,
    hellas1
    I used both TI and HP in college, but once I got into more advanced classes like algebraic topology and differential geometry it was all pretty much pen and paper. I suspect, based on your interests, that you will need to go that way or start using programs like Mathematica that have some significant symbolic capability.

My science-teacher asked me which was first: The chicken or the egg?
    So, what does science say about this?

"Just searching for a world with some soul..."

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

Logically, if you define a "chicken egg" as "an egg laid by a chicken", the chicken came first. If you define it as "an egg that can hatch into a chicken", then it depends on what you call a chicken. If you call a fertilized egg that will hatch into a chicken a chicken (life begins at conception!), then the chicken arose at the same time as the chicken egg. If you don't call such an egg a chicken until it hatches (life begins at birth!), or at least develops somewhat, then the chicken egg came before the chicken.

The above analysis assumes, though, that there's some clear line between chickens and non-chickens. There's not. You can't really point to some specific bird and say "that's the first chicken". Evolution is a process that occurs over many generations, not just one, and the boundaries between species are not clear-cut when they're just beginning to diverge. So logic aside, the question isn't meaningful, since you can't identify the first chicken or the first chicken egg.

Of course, if you literally mean to compare chickens and eggs, eggs came many millions of years before chickens, maybe billions. I'm assuming you want to know whether the chicken came before or after the chicken egg.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Atlassmurf View Post
    My science-teacher asked me which was first: The chicken or the egg?
    So, what does science say about this?
    Literal semantics says the chicken came first. If you want it the other way around, ask "which came first, the egg or the chicken?"

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical View Post
    Logically, if you define a "chicken egg" as "an egg laid by a chicken", the chicken came first. If you define it as "an egg that can hatch into a chicken", then it depends on what you call a chicken. If you call a fertilized egg that will hatch into a chicken a chicken (life begins at conception!), then the chicken arose at the same time as the chicken egg. If you don't call such an egg a chicken until it hatches (life begins at birth!), or at least develops somewhat, then the chicken egg came before the chicken.

The above analysis assumes, though, that there's some clear line between chickens and non-chickens. There's not. You can't really point to some specific bird and say "that's the first chicken". Evolution is a process that occurs over many generations, not just one, and the boundaries between species are not clear-cut when they're just beginning to diverge. So logic aside, the question isn't meaningful, since you can't identify the first chicken or the first chicken egg.

Of course, if you literally mean to compare chickens and eggs, eggs came many millions of years before chickens, maybe billions. I'm assuming you want to know whether the chicken came before or after the chicken egg.
    That was very helfull, thank you.

"Just searching for a world with some soul..."

I know, I should know this but I can not figure it out and I am in need of help. How do I find the diameter of the earth at 20 degrees latitude? (in miles)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical View Post

Haha, best answer ever to that question.

In my project i can't seem to find what Ribosomes do. I have to explain in detail. I know what they are just not what they do.
    Got nothing...

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Ribosomes are the cell's protein factories. In eukaryotic cells the small Ribosome subunit with a bound Methionin initiator tRNA bind to an mRNA. When it finds the starting codon AUG, the initiator tRNA binds it with its Anticodon. The initiator tRNA is masked by a Protein (elF-2), which goes away after the Met-tRNA binding its Anticodon, so that the large Ribosome subunit can bind the small subunit. The Initiator tRNA is located at the P-Region of the large Ribo SU, a second tRNA binds at the A-Region if it has the matching Anticodon to the mRNA. The first peptide-binding is fromed, the Init tRNA leaves the Ribosome via the E-Region and the Ribosome moves one triplett forward so that the next tRNA can bind and so on.

--> this was a little bit basic cause I don't know on which level you need and understand this matter

I know, I should know this but I can not figure it out and I am in need of help. How do I find the diameter of the earth at 20 degrees latitude? (in miles)
    Latitude is the angle between a place on the earths surface and the equator. So if you make a right triangle you can do...

d = D*cos(lat)

d = radius at at a certain latitude
    D = Radius of the Earth
    lat = latitude

This is assuming the Earth is a sphere, which is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Latitude is the angle between a place on the earths surface and the equator. So if you make a right triangle you can do...

d = D*cos(lat)

d = radius at at a certain latitude
    D = Radius of the Earth
    lat = latitude

This is assuming the Earth is a sphere, which is not true.
    Thank You! Rep Given.

I had only been introduced (horribly) to Algebra a year ago, so no fancy crap please.

In a problem like:

2(7x-4) = (irrelevant)

When you simplify the first party, does the 4 become negative or does it remain positive?

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Clone View Post
    I had only been introduced (horribly) to Algebra a year ago, so no fancy crap please.

In a problem like:

2(7x-4) = (irrelevant)

When you simplify the first party, does the 4 become negative or does it remain positive?
    Well you would distribute first, making the problem

14x - 8 = Whatever

But in that case yes it does remain negative. Now, if 2 was negative (-2) then it would be a positive 8 and it would be 14x + 8 = Whatever
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Tosi View Post
    Well you would distribute first, making the problem
    Why would you want to do that? Much easier to just divide the whole thing by two...

But in that case yes it does remain negative. Now, if 2 was negative (-2) then it would be a positive 8 and it would be 14x + 8 = Whatever
    That should be -14 in your example lol
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.