Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with science/math schoolwork? Post here!

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Default Re: Need help with science/math schoolwork? Post here!

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical View Post
    When I said "drop them both in" the strong electric field, I of course meant the same electric field, i.e., drop them in places with the same electric field vector. They would then move in instantaneously opposite directions when released.
    I suppose it's more accurate to say that the acceleration due to electrostatic force would have opposing direction. Other forces and initial velocity would need to be factored out.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

"Released" implies an initial velocity of zero. Gravitational force is negligible for charged particles in an electric field.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Civitate Patrician

"Released" implies an initial velocity of zero. Gravitational force is negligible for charged particles in an electric field.
    Doesn't it depend on the relative strength of the fields? And when you say you are going to dismiss a relatively small force, does that not conform to my statement that it would be "more accurate" to include it? Particularly since (in the context of the question) we have no gauge of how accurate our measurements, or the fields themselves, are? Besides, if we have determined a non-electrostatic force is truly negligible, that is one way to say it has been "factored out" per my original post.

Regarding the original question, I am guessing, since it's a chemistry problem, we are looking at some kind of electrochemical device like a battery.
    Last edited by chriscase; June 16, 2008 at 11:13 AM.

Patrician

This was a conceptual homework problem, not a request to author a lab manual. Details are irrelevant.

Risen from Prey

chris_uk_83's Avatar Physicist

and resistance is futile

If I've helped you, rep me. I live for rep.

Ephialtes The Dog's Avatar Vicarius
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head!!!

I've got another question. What is the most abundant type of Lipid?
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

Some sort of fat?
    "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Civitate Patrician

This was a conceptual homework problem, not a request to author a lab manual. Details are irrelevant.
    If we are working in a purely theoretical context, then we can assume our measurements are precise, and all forces, regardless of how "negligible" they are, should be accounted for.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by chriscase View Post
    If we are working in a purely theoretical context, then we can assume our measurements are precise, and all forces, regardless of how "negligible" they are, should be accounted for.
    First of all, this is physics, not math. We're allowed to make any approximations that are convenient, as long as they more or less work. And again, this is a homework problem, that asked a vague question to test the student's knowledge of basic concepts. It's not a problem that demands precision. They don't give us any measurements. The correct answer to a question like that is not to reproduce the instructions for the lab portion of the course where the question is answered, explaining exactly what equipment and procedure will be used. A one-sentence reply is sufficient. This is the homework thread. Not the philosophy of experimental measurement thread.

Risen from Prey

Civitate Patrician

First of all, this is physics, not math. We're allowed to make any approximations that are convenient, as long as they more or less work. And again, this is a homework problem, that asked a vague question to test the student's knowledge of basic concepts. It's not a problem that demands precision. They don't give us any measurements. The correct answer to a question like that is not to reproduce the instructions for the lab portion of the course where the question is answered, explaining exactly what equipment and procedure will be used. A one-sentence reply is sufficient. This is the homework thread. Not the philosophy of experimental measurement thread.
    I don't think I was being all that picky. Suppose the "particle" is a macroscopic ball with some non-trivial mass. Then things would work out quite differently, given the inertia of the body and the influence of gravity. Either way, I think the question has been sufficiently answered.

Never mind.
    Last edited by Chipp; June 19, 2008 at 08:32 AM.

I think I'm probably going to become a regular on this thread.

Here's my question: Why does Tristearin burn hotter than Cellulose?
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

I've got another one. I need one example of a diploid cell and one of a monoploid cell found in humans.

-Del Preston

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Ephialtes The Dog View Post
    I've got another one. I need one example of a diploid cell and one of a monoploid cell found in humans.
    Almost all cells are diploid. The only monoploid cells should be gametes, if my memory serves.

Risen from Prey

I'm asking this for a friend who is doing a project on cellular respiration and having some difficulty (I helped as much as I could, but am stuck myself now). What are 5 factors that affect the rate of cellular respiration?

Many thanks in advance!

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

Someone else will have a much better answer, but just a few shots: Temperature, and the amount of Oxygen / CO2.

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

Thanks, so far I've got temperature, oxygen, and ph.

Bernem's Avatar Senator

Level of NADH (FADH), and probably availability of ADP + Pi in Mitos

I think you've got all 5. I'll pop in if something else comes to my head.
    "Nothing like a nice relaxing stroll on the beach, blasting bad guys with my boomstick."
    - Gunnery Chief Ashley Madeline Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephialtes The Dog View Post
    I think I'm probably going to become a regular on this thread.

Here's my question: Why does Tristearin burn hotter than Cellulose?

I think its the difference in chemical bonding. To burn is to supply the molecules with sufficient energy to break their bonds. Now I've forgotten my A levels chemistry, so I can't remmeber if this would be intermolecular or intramolecular bonding that is involved.
    Last edited by Gungalley; July 29, 2008 at 04:28 AM.
    "Nothing like a nice relaxing stroll on the beach, blasting bad guys with my boomstick."
    - Gunnery Chief Ashley Madeline Williams.