Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Need help with science/math schoolwork? Post here!

Default Re: Need help with science/math schoolwork? Post here!

Why does the charge Q in the capacitor of a simple, series RLC circuit driven by a DC voltage-source oscillate?

Shouldn't the charge just increase? I mean, in the beginning there goes a current towards the capacitor, and the inductor is producing a counter-current. After a while the current from the battery should decrease due to the increasing resistance from the charge in the capacitor capacitor, and then the stored magnetic energy in the inductor will be transformed into a current going to the capacitor. In the end, Q reaches its maximum potential and no more current flows.

Where is the flaw in my logic? I saw an MIT lecture and there the professor took out an RLC circuit (with a DC power-supply) as an example of damped oscillators.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

any system that has the ability to store energy in more than one returnable form has the ability to oscillate as it exchanges energy between the multiple forms , it will do this automatically when disturbed from rest

LCR circuits oscillate because of the interchange between LC components , magnetic and electric fields .
    via an alternating current -the resistance of the circuit dissipates energy from the system as irretrievable heat so it doesn't influence oscillation frequency

when a DC source is present an LC circuit is disturbed when you switch on or off , when the circuit current will "ring" with decreasing amplitude for a period of time.
    with an AC source the current is "forced" by the source , except at the resonant frequency

have i ever mentioned i hate math and having to put it in words? well going on the record now and saying it

i believe my memory is sound n all this but it may be mistaken although it does seem to make sense in my mind putting it very basically
    Last edited by knight of meh; August 22, 2013 at 08:00 PM.

necronox's Avatar ▬▬ι═══════- -═══════ιι▬

i can help with anything related to programming and engineering.

but otherwise i have a question to anyone who can answer it, btw i am doing engineering at university, so i suppose it's not school but still not worth creating an enitre thread just for this....

A) to calculate the penetrating distance of an object inside a wall of irregular density.

scenario given to me: (they tend to give you too much information, some of it might be completely useless)
    calculate the penetration of a triangular bullet of 20g whose point forms a 30 degree angle to the horizontal and is 12mm long traveling at 120 m/s (in relation to the bullet's direction) in penetrating a brick which is divided into three sections, BRICK/AIR/BRICK, each with a distance of 200mm, assume air resistance negligible and object will remain intact and complete.

the brick has a density varying from 1.6*103 kg/m3 to 1.9*103 kg/m3, now refer to (my book, for other values for the brick) which are:
    confined compressive strength: 20 MPa
    unconfined compressive strength: 20 MPa
    shear strength: 20 MPa

if you need any other info let me know, i don't want a straight answer or anything like that, i just want to know how on earth am i suppose to do this or what equation or combination of, am i suppose to use?
    Last edited by necronox; October 01, 2013 at 06:43 AM.

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks to all you guys. I am in pre-calculus honors this year (10th grade) and you guys helped me with algebra 1 honors all the way back in 7th...

dang.

Logios's Avatar Senator

@nekronox: try to make a drawing/diagram of the problem. I may not be able to solve the problem, but maybe you may spot something, in particular regarding the thickness of the brick at the particular angle of entry.
    Other than that given the bullets weight and velocity you can calculate its kinetic energy to begin with.
    Sorry if this was no help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by thomascreel View Post
    Just wanted to drop by and say thanks to all you guys. I am in pre-calculus honors this year (10th grade) and you guys helped me with algebra 1 honors all the way back in 7th...

dang.

Quote Originally Posted by necronox View Post
    i can help with anything related to programming and engineering.

but otherwise i have a question to anyone who can answer it, btw i am doing engineering at university, so i suppose it's not school but still not worth creating an enitre thread just for this....

A) to calculate the penetrating distance of an object inside a wall of irregular density.

scenario given to me: (they tend to give you too much information, some of it might be completely useless)
    calculate the penetration of a triangular bullet of 20g whose point forms a 30 degree angle to the horizontal and is 12mm long traveling at 120 m/s (in relation to the bullet's direction) in penetrating a brick which is divided into three sections, BRICK/AIR/BRICK, each with a distance of 200mm, assume air resistance negligible and object will remain intact and complete.

the brick has a density varying from 1.6*103 kg/m3 to 1.9*103 kg/m3, now refer to (my book, for other values for the brick) which are:
    confined compressive strength: 20 MPa
    unconfined compressive strength: 20 MPa
    shear strength: 20 MPa

if you need any other info let me know, i don't want a straight answer or anything like that, i just want to know how on earth am i suppose to do this or what equation or combination of, am i suppose to use?
    Dear god that is mean. But to start this will definitely be a punching shear failure. If it were concrete I would calculate the punching shear strength like this ...

Were f'c is the compressive strength of your material in MPa. The Vr will be a force (kN). That is straightforward, but to get the force of the bullet you will need to know the rate of deceleration. That you'd have to estimate somehow. If it is 12mm long traveling at 120m/s, maybe it stops in approximately the time it takes to travel one bullet length?

.012/120 = t = .001s

120/t = a = 120000 m/s2

F = ma = .020kg*12000 m/s2 = 2.4 kN

Check that against the Vr you calculated before to see if you punched a cone through the first brick.

That is my best approach at least.

Last edited by Sphere; October 01, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Dear god that is mean. But to start this will definitely be a punching shear failure. If it were concrete I would calculate the punching shear strength like this ...

Were f'c is the compressive strength of your material in MPa. The Vr will be a force (kN). That is straightforward, but to get the force of the bullet you will need to know the rate of deceleration. That you'd have to estimate somehow. If it is 12mm long traveling at 120m/s, maybe it stops in approximately the time it takes to travel one bullet length?

.012/120 = t = .001s

120/t = a = 120000 m/s2

F = ma = .020kg*12000 m/s2 = 2.4 kN

Check that against the Vr you calculated before to see if you punched a cone through the first brick.

That is my best approach at least.

nice, i assume you have taken backwards as positive? otherwise 120/t = -120000 m/s^2, the negative representive the deceleration, i combined this with the force applied by the bullet, but it is applied on an area that suits the following equation: pi*r^2 where r follows this equation: 1/3x+0, so, pi*(0.3333*x)^2 where x starts on 0, and let's do in increments of 1mm (thus 12 increments total), so pi*(0.3333*1)^2 = 0.349, divide force you get Netwons per / mm^2. divide that my 1000 you get N/m^2,
    now using the compressive strength and all that you can get the amount of kinetic energy lost per mm, thus the speed and hence the distance travel.

am i missing somthing?

edse's Avatar Domesticus

Problem: Show that there is an M such that ||x||≤M||x||inf for any norm.

So should I prove that the identity mapping from E to F (where E is normed space with sup-norm) is bounded in any norm or should I prove it straightforward by showing that ||x||≤M*Sup|x|? I've been thinking about the second way but can't find an inequality to begin with, ||x||≤ ?

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    Problem: Show that there is an M such that ||x||≤M||x||inf for any norm.

So should I prove that the identity mapping from E to F (where E is normed space with sup-norm) is bounded in any norm or should I prove it straightforward by showing that ||x||≤M*Sup|x|? I've been thinking about the second way but can't find an inequality to begin with, ||x||≤ ?
    Hi edse,
    I don't see a lot of problems in higher mathematics in the forum, wish I could really help but this is an area I didn't do much work in.

I assume you are in normed vector space. Since the canonical vector space/s would be R2 or R3, does it make sense to work through the propositions there?

Is M assumed to be any element of the underlying field? I assume ||x|| is the norm of vector x, but I'm not clear on what is meant by ||x||inf Could you explain what that is briefly?

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

edse's Avatar Domesticus

This is in an n-dimensional vector space.

||x||inf was my attempt to write the supremum norm (aka uniform norm) = Sup|x| of all elements in the vector x.

M is actually a constant between 0 and infinity.

I can't even figure out how it would look in R2. "Any norm of x is less than M times the maximum element in the vector."

In my solution I have stated that ||x||≤Mx due to some kind of linearity, don't know if this really holds.

Edit: got a little confused regarding the supremum.
    Last edited by edse; October 16, 2013 at 06:57 AM.

Studying for my exams at uni, few things i can't quite get, (these are "simple" equations - to cover my 'basics' if you can call this basics. )

so: problem 1 (complex numbers):

Express (4+j)/(j(1+j)) in the form x+yj, where x and y are real

problem 2 (graphs):

Find polar & rectangular, and parametric equations of the curve: (x-4)^2+y^2=16

problem 3 (diff/implicit diff/ integration / etc...):

Given that: z=x^2 - 2x - y^2+4y+5

I) find the coordinates of any stationary point(s) and determine the nature of any such point(s)
    II) If we let g = ((d^2z)/(dx^2))*((d^2z)/dy^2)) - ((d^2z)/dxdy)^2,
    II.2) the surface's maximum at P if (d^2z)/(dx^2) < 0 and g>0
    II.3) the sufrace's minimum at P if (d^2z)/(dx^2) > 0 and g > 0
    II.4) the saddle point at P if g<0

any ideas on how? (answer not necessary - i'm just interested in how)

thanks
    Last edited by necronox; November 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM.

problem 2 (graphs):
    Take the numerator, factor out a "j", then factor out (1+j). In Australia do you always use j as the imaginary number? I've heard that is sometimes done in the UK, but I've never seen anything other than "i" in the US.

Result:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    x = -3/2
    y = -5/2

we both use i and j, my book uses j, my assignements uses i, and exam practice uses j, previous exams uses both i and j (either one or the other), so, i'm not really sure which one we used.

mind you the convenor of our maths is somewhat... strange...

Anyone here can do this problem?

You have the two inequalities, where k is a real number;
    1) |k+|sqrt(k^2-1)||<1

2) |k-|sqrt(k^2-1)|| <1

For what value of k is each of the inequalities above fulfilled?

Quote Originally Posted by necronox View Post
    Studying for my exams at uni, few things i can't quite get, (these are "simple" equations - to cover my 'basics' if you can call this basics. )

so: problem 1 (complex numbers):

problem 2 (graphs):

Find polar & rectangular, and parametric equations of the curve: (x-4)^2+y^2=16

problem 3 (diff/implicit diff/ integration / etc...):

Given that: z=x^2 - 2x - y^2+4y+5

I) find the coordinates of any stationary point(s) and determine the nature of any such point(s)
    II) If we let g = ((d^2z)/(dx^2))*((d^2z)/dy^2)) - ((d^2z)/dxdy)^2,
    II.2) the surface's maximum at P if (d^2z)/(dx^2) < 0 and g>0
    II.3) the sufrace's minimum at P if (d^2z)/(dx^2) > 0 and g > 0
    II.4) the saddle point at P if g<0

any ideas on how? (answer not necessary - i'm just interested in how)

thanks
    1) appears to be answered by sphere

2)
    Polar: insert x=rcos(theta) and y=rsin(theta) into the equation, and then find r as a function of theta.
    rectangular: the given curve is already defined in rectangular coordinates.
    parametric equations: hint: use x=a*cos(b) +cx, y=a*sin(b) +cy....

3)
    I: You want to find the point where the directional derivative in any direction is zero. To do so, the partial derivatives with regards to x and y must be zero, so just find when grad z = 0 (=> f_x= 0 and f_y = 0)
    II: Use the second derivative test for local extreme values.
    Last edited by Nikitn; November 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

You have the two inequalities, where k is a real number;
    1) |k+|sqrt(k^2-1)||<1

2) |k-|sqrt(k^2-1)|| <1

For what value of k is each of the inequalities above fulfilled?
    I get

1.) k < 0
    2.) k > 0

Which do not overlap if k is a real number.

(this is helpful http://www.mathwarehouse.com/algebra...lex-number.php)

1) what if k=-1?
    2) what if k=1?

In those cases you get 1<1 which is incorrect. I think for 2) k>1, and for 1) k<-1. But I have been unable to show this without using shady logic...
    Last edited by Nikitn; November 15, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Yeah, you are correct for 1 & -1 but there still isn't overlap. Try 1/2 or -1/2.

So...

1.) k < 0 k=/=-1
    2.) k > 0 k=/=+1

Is what I got.

Yeah, I think you're right. What kind of algebra did you use to get to that result?

Edit: I just redid the problem and I now got the same as you, and I followed all the rules too. but could you show me anyway, just to be sure?
    Last edited by Nikitn; November 15, 2013 at 02:12 AM.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    I get

1.) k < 0
    2.) k > 0

Which do not overlap if k is a real number.

(this is helpful http://www.mathwarehouse.com/algebra...lex-number.php)
    f(k)=sqrt(k^2-1) is not defined for -1<k<1 so how do you get those answer?