Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: Open the Curia to all

enoch's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Open the Curia to all

I figured it out - Muizer, you were just a few steps ahead of me, and I got this gimp leg from crocodile wrestling last weekend, so it took me a day to catch up.
    Remember Tac
    boogeyman, alt, imbling

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Well I think this can be moved to vote now ... can the Curator do this?
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

the Black Prince's Avatar British Patriot

two reasons why you can't

one, this bill changes the Votes of No Confidence section, which can only be modified by a bill started by staff.

two... even allowing that this absurd and ridiuclous proposal got through, should there not be some requirement of weighting in the averaging of votes?

I should need not say (again) that the reward of citizenship on this site is, and has always been, the ability to have a say over the site. This bill treduces citizenship to a pretty badge, which i oppose absolutely.

But should this offence come to pass, it is only right and proper that the votes be weighted and that a citizens vote counts for more.

tBP, seriously, is that the best you can come up with?

Section 1 of this document and the procedure for a vote of No Confidence lie outside the remit of the Curia to modify or amend, unless such amendment is commenced and wholly authorised by the executive.
    Really, unless Hex want to veto this it can go to a vote.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Two is not an argument for the proposal not to be moved. Since the citizen's vote are almost necessarily worth more due to there being fewer of us, our votes making up 50% of the total vote final will give citizen votes a weighting.

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Well I would request this be moved, but I think I'm gonna have to put this on hold for a few days. I'll see if some of these new bills get passed, and then edit it accordingly ...
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Since the citizen's vote are almost necessarily worth more due to there being fewer of us.........
    Really? Personally I don't expect voting non-citizens will outnumber voting citizens at all, in which case the weighting will be skewed against the citizens.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince View Post
    two reasons why you can't

one, this bill changes the Votes of No Confidence section, which can only be modified by a bill started by staff.
    Well Scorch(Tribounos) is staff and it is supported by the Speaker of the House(Council Member0, so I would say it this bill is commenced and wholly authorized by the executive.

But I will wait until Scorch want to move it to a vote.

So why is this in vote without being closed (not that I think it is bad to keep the disussion open until voting date has expired...)? just wondering...

under the patronage of Belisarius

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Because of tradition - discussions are never closed, really, even on long long dead issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli View Post
    So why is this in vote without being closed (not that I think it is bad to keep the disussion open until voting date has expired...)? just wondering...
    Well, under the present legislative procedure, other bills posted in this thread could still obtain support and be moved to the vote also. It's quite ridiculous I know, but true none the less. This thread will have to remain open indefinitely.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

well not quite, if this bill fails, a substantially similar bill cannot go to vote for at least a month... i suppose its for the curator to decide what substantially similar means in each case...

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince View Post
    well not quite, if this bill fails, a substantially similar bill cannot go to vote for at least a month... i suppose its for the curator to decide what substantially similar means in each case...

IMHO the evaluation of "substantially different" by the Curator is a procedural one. If you have two bills with mutually exclusive sets of proposers and supporters resulting from both groups not being able to come to an agreement on one draft, that pretty much defines "substantially different". The fact that the Curator personally doesn't see the relevance of the differences causing the controversy is..........irrelevant.

well yes, i was referring to two bills that effectively do the same thing... i.e. two bills that open the curia to all and sundry....

Oops - I was under the impression they got closed after being moved to vote - must have been based on the fact that noone posts in most of them after they're moved...

- well - I'm a nub...

under the patronage of Belisarius

enoch's Avatar Primicerius

Read OP
    Tact was the best of us

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Paine View Post
    Because of tradition - discussions are never closed, really, even on long long dead issues.
    This too - Ozy was enochs way in

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    I have repeatedly argued that Citizenship should be connected with Curial participation.

I was always rebuffed by that Citizen (Civitas) is awarded for high level of posting (and later of modding) and did not mean that the holders of such rank should participate in the governance.

So since the Citizens deemed necessary to remove politics from their badge, it is probably a good idea to remove the badges from politics.

I obviously support any idea as Tac's (Aristotac's anyway...)
    The one who mattered to my and many of our lives gets it.

love y’all
    grateful for the chance to finish my work before god eats my brain
    Last edited by enoch; April 17, 2021 at 11:11 PM.
    Remember Tac
    boogeyman, alt, imbling

Flinn's Avatar Dude of Steel
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Censor Gaming Director

Blog Entries

Thread in the archives are not meant for being posted in ...
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader