View Poll Results: What do you think of the unofficial patch 1.2?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a great patch!

24 20.51%
  • I think it's a good patch but could use some improvements

42 35.90%
  • I think it's a god patch but would like to see a lot of improvements

21 17.95%
  • I think it's an alright patch

3 2.56%
  • I think it's an alright patch but needs improvements before the official one gets released

9 7.69%
  • I think it's a bad patch and needs to have a lot more fixes on it

4 3.42%
  • I think it's a bad patch and needs to have more fixes in it and improved unit balance and ai

3 2.56%
  • I think the patch sucks, CA need to do a lot of work on it.

11 9.40%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Patch Review and Download - Do you think it's a good patch?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Icon5 Unofficial Patch Review and Download - Do you think it's a good patch?

Just thought i'd gauge the community opinion on the unreleased patch. I'll be passing on the results to the CA Oz devs i chat to, who knows it could help influence them into including more fixes into the official 1.2 patch.

Feel free to explain the reasons why you voted for what option.

You can get the unofficial 1.2 patch here:

http://files.filefront.com/MIITW_Upd.../fileinfo.html
    Last edited by Lusted; April 18, 2007 at 07:02 AM.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Default Re: Unofficial Patch Review - Do you think it's a good patch?

I voted for the second option.

Shield bug, 2h bug, and framerate loss during sieges were the three "game killers" for me in 1.1, and are the main reasons I havent played M2TW nearly as much as I played RTW. The first two of these three issues seem to be corrected in 1.2

Some trait triggers still need tweaking (not hard to mod this, but it should still be "officially" changed, in my opinion).

Im still not convinced that the campaign AI/Diplomacy is working perfectly. Such as the AI attacking me with only very small portions of their army (including only their faction leader once). I also dont mean to keep harping on this point, but my relations on *medium settings* never deteriorated nearly as fast in 1.1, and I cant really see a reason why CA would intentionally change such a thing in this patch. Not that everybody was buddying up to me in 1.1, but I wouldnt have (literally) every non-Allied faction on the map hating my guts by turn 20 (which makes nearly all forms of diplomacy past that time period utterly impossible). I havent seen other people reporting the same things though, so is it possible that my install got borked somehow? (like how the 2h bug didnt seem fixed when I installed the first time, which was over-top of 1.1)

One other thing I personally think CA should do, is to release more "mini patches" sometimes, instead of saving it all for one big mega patch. For instance; if they could fix the installer bug (at least that's what it seems to be) that delayed 1.2, then they could go ahead and release it as is (with perhaps some of the really small/easy tweaks people have mentioned). Then, if they manage to find a fix for the siege slowdown in a few weeks/months, they could add just that fix with a mini patch.

I think it's an alright patch but needs improvements before the official one gets released

I think it needs to have fixed siege AI before I'd consider it a "good" patch. Or a complete patch. They said siege AI was no longer passive in 1.1, and now in 1.2, but it still is in many cases. BUT I am a lot happier with this patch than the last.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

You need to include a I didn't try it because I'm waiting for the official one option ;-)

Papal_Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus75 View Post
    You need to include a I didn't try it because I'm waiting for the official one option ;-)

yeah, indeed. not sure of the value of using a pre-patch.

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum

Tiro

Well if you managed to get a corruption-free leaked patch, then it is the same as the official patch that was meant to be released on the 5th. The only problems that would be caused by having an unofficial leaked patch would be crashes and whatnot, not remaining bugs.

I voted option 2, "I think it's a good patch but could use some improvements."

A few of the very important bugs are not completely fixed (for me, it would be nice to see more effort put forth on siege AI and cavalry chasing down routers), but they have been greatly improved.

ok, I justsaw a seige ai use two rams and actually man the second after the first burned! very cool

I think it's an alright patch but needs improvements before the official one gets released

The tower/cannon bug and the unbalanced 2-hand units really need to be fixed before the patch is released. Janissary Heavy Infantry are now useless and their cost is rediculous unless their stats are dramatically increased. I would like to see the following changes made:

1. Fix the armor upgrade model for Venetian Archer and Heavy Infantry.
    2. Fix ballista/cannon tower bug.
    3. Include Lusted's EDU balance corrections:
    -Janissary Heavy Infantry given +6 attack, +7 defense skill
    -ME Halberd Militia given +4 attack, +2 defense skill
    -Western Halberd units/Voulgiers etc. given +2 to primary and secondary attack
    -Pikemen given +2 to collision mass
    -2handed sword units gvien +2 attack and ap to primary weapon

Aside for those three things, the patch would be perfect IMHO.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

I think it is a great patch.
    It has really improved the game for me.
    Of course more fixes would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Papal_Knight View Post
    yeah, indeed. not sure of the value of using a pre-patch.
    The "pre-patch" shouldn't differ all that much from the "real" patch when it gets released. Remember, until some bugs were detected, this was a release candidate, not a mere beta.

I would say that this patch represents the past several months of work CA has done on M2TW, save for the minor bugs in the installer (which I have not noticed)

I think this patch is great.

The campaign AI is greatly improved, chasing down routing units with seems almost perfect and both the shield bug and 2H bug have been fixed. It is also much easier to get your cavalry to charge, which is great.

A patch can always be better but this is only 1.2 so i think CA have done a great job. Further improvements will come i

I would like to see the following changes made:
    Any changes to unit balance made in a patch would result in several months of QA testing, it would delay any patch by at least a month. Now i would like to see it in 1.3, not in 1.2 for that reason.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Any changes to unit balance made in a patch would result in several months of QA testing, it would delay any patch by at least a month. Now i would like to see it in 1.3, not in 1.2 for that reason.
    I could do their QA testing for them in a single afternoon (for the 2-hand unit balance tweaks, your modifications perfectly resolve the problem), but....I see your point.

It does'nt matter if the community has tested them, changes like that SEGA/CA will want to test as well. It'd take a while, i mean a large amount of the time the game was in its beta build would have been devoted to balacing, and that would have been several months in length.
    Creator of:

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    It does'nt matter if the community has tested them, changes like that SEGA/CA will want to test as well. It'd take a while, i mean a large amount of the time the game was in its beta build would have been devoted to balacing, and that would have been several months in length.

I know, Lusted, I didn't seriously mean that SEGA/CA would take my word on it.

It's just frustrating for the fans, especially those who love to play as the Turks. Oh well, I guess they'll have to play LTC or LiteMod until 1.3 comes out, eh?

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah, one can see some serious *****ing about the JHI on the various forums and about how they are totally uber and nothing in Europe compares to them (strangely enough, in many cases, the loudest hell-raising is coming from Turks themselves ;-)
    Last edited by Germanicus75; April 10, 2007 at 05:46 PM.

The 2nd option. The game is now perfectly playable for a change; the two-handed bug is extinct, and the fill-in animation looks awesome. The AI puts up a fight now, both in castle assaults and pitched battles. Due to the fixed shield bug, the infantry-on-infantry fights lasts much longer before somebody routs.

The only bugs are mostly a few leftovers from 1.1 such as the sometimes stumbling infantry charges and none-too-perfect diplomacy and that horrid memory leak during city views.

That said, two-handed units like Zweihänders and Halberdiers need a stat-boost de luxe.

It's a very good patch, in that it fixes technical issues.

In my opinion, it doesn't make the game more fun. My number one issue is that your enemies don't grow with you; they don't conquer each other nearly as much as they should.

By the time you've taken over half the map, there should be one enemy who's grown to nearly your size, fully capable of opposing your growth. (Or two, or three, or an alliance.) But there's nothing like that... there are only petty little nations to sweep away, boringly. I usually quit after the mid-game.

Dunecat's Avatar Praefectus

It's ok, you can tell they made an effort to fix diplomacy, but it's still irrational. Just now I had Portugal lower their standing with me. I LITERALLY did nothing- I accidentally hit "end turn". I'm not at war with anyone. They have no allies or enemies.

Spain did the same thing 2 turns later.

Honestly, CA should take a few pointers or two from our modders...

How has the battle AI been improved? Details, I beg of you.

anyone...anyone...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast