Thread: Does anyone miss Shogun and mtw1 multi over rtw and mtw2 multi because of cheap and crappy players?

Default Does anyone miss Shogun and mtw1 multi over rtw and mtw2 multi because of cheap and crappy players?

I tried multi for one night, and never used it again... mtw2's multi is even worse than rtw's.

I'm not talking about what CA did, I thought it was well put together... I'm talking about the crappy, cheap, and annoying people online.

In mtw1 the people played so fair, brought balanced, even armies that could match yours.

In rtw, it was very bad, you would say "no elephants or chariots or artillery", and they would respond "why? Are you scared?"

Once in a blue moon a good player would come along and say good idea no artillery or elephants, and it would be a good game.

Now all I noticed people in mtw2 brought was guns, artillery, tons of tons of heavy cavalry, all horse archers, people would even pick timurids until I would say "ah, nope I don't think so... "

I found about two people out of about 12 games that were good players that brought fair armies.
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

Default Re: Does anyone miss Shogun and mtw1 multi over rtw and mtw2 multi because of cheap and crappy players?

Only noobs don't obey the rules. Good players in clans play by standard rules. No art no ele max 8 cavalry(horse archers included).
    The law is reason free from passion - Aristotle.

The end does NOT justify the means.

Default Re: Does anyone miss Shogun and mtw1 multi over rtw and mtw2 multi because of cheap and crappy players?

So they built standards like late rtw 1.5 and mtw1 and vi?

That's good at least.

The problem with rtw was the huge majority of players were noobs, thus harder to find the standards.

In mtw1 you were laughed at if you weren't in a clan so about everyone knew the rules.

Do most people have clans yet? or is it like rtw?
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

Flogger's Avatar Senator

I always try and make fair/historical armies myself. Never host a game with no rules; people will make whole armies of eles if it means they can win. But there are stupid rules also, such as max 2 ha. What's the point of choosing a ha faction if you can only have 2?!
    Stealing TWC's smilies since 2005

When I host the game, I ALWAYS play with no rules and enjoy it very much

The trick is - give not more than 15000 k for the player and you have balanced game. Do not see any additional point to add rules as no artillery or elephants, put restrictions on cavalry... money is best restriction and force player to make balanced armies.

Additional tip to have more fun, if you want fast game play, chose early or high era. If you want more chess style, chose late era.

Another tip, play more with less prejudice what medieval battle should look

Sorry if my English hard to understand.

Cerxes's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by darzininkas
    ...Sorry if my English hard to understand

YES! your English is very hard to understand!...

Just kidding, actually I agree with you on this. Restricting money do force players to lower the standards of their units, making the army more balanced. If someone want an elephant or some other uber-unit, sure, but then your army will get even smaller...Personally I also prefer playing early and high period using up to between 10-15K, because you then focus more on tactics rather than the unit type, which will become more decisive for the outcome of the battle. /Cerxes.
    Last edited by Cerxes; April 04, 2007 at 11:36 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ramtha View Post
    So they built standards like late rtw 1.5 and mtw1 and vi?

That's good at least.

The problem with rtw was the huge majority of players were noobs, thus harder to find the standards.

In mtw1 you were laughed at if you weren't in a clan so about everyone knew the rules.

Do most people have clans yet? or is it like rtw?
    Clans = better players?
    In most games I have played online that werent the case...in a FPS game I just made one clan up just to avoid getting invites by wannabe pro clans, which members some how always managed to get placed at the middle or bottom of the stats...

I use standard rules when playing (no eles, arty, 8 cav max) PLUS no gunpowder.

Makes for fun fights.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ramtha View Post
    I tried multi for one night, and never used it again... mtw2's multi is even worse than rtw's.

I'm not talking about what CA did, I thought it was well put together... I'm talking about the crappy, cheap, and annoying people online.

In mtw1 the people played so fair, brought balanced, even armies that could match yours.

In rtw, it was very bad, you would say "no elephants or chariots or artillery", and they would respond "why? Are you scared?"

Once in a blue moon a good player would come along and say good idea no artillery or elephants, and it would be a good game.

Now all I noticed people in mtw2 brought was guns, artillery, tons of tons of heavy cavalry, all horse archers, people would even pick timurids until I would say "ah, nope I don't think so... "

I found about two people out of about 12 games that were good players that brought fair armies.
    Noob's lack creativity and go for the steamroller 'kung fu' style combat because they just want easy gratification. But that is today's real world.
    I don't play much multi Star Wars BF2 because everybody cheats. That's the case about anywhere you go, online that is.

Elric von Rabenfels's Avatar The Devil Inside

I miss the old times with skilled players in MTW...
    Dont play Medieval II multiplayer very much, lack of good, or at least fair players
    But if someone wants a good game, send me a pm,
    ingame nick should the same as my user name here
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Magic Man's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Play against a clan. Im part of the {COR} clan.

All our games are played in the middle era, no artillery, no elephants and maximum 8 cavalry.

Very fun games, you have to be skillful to win.

Juliuscivilus's Avatar Civis
    In the middle of the Netherlands, all flat here

Just play with clanners, they have rules most of the times.
    Ofcourse there are n00bclans around who love 1000000000000 + no rules
    We play as the COR guy above also often with those rules (high era no art/ele max 8 cav 10k)

Hi not trying to go offf topic, here as Im actually reading about MP before trying it for the first time but what does
    No art no ele max 8 cavalry mean?

Sorry Im new but reading what people are saying about MP it worries me as I will be wanting to do battles where they are like realitic battles I mean no army would field say 100% archers or 90% cavalry and 10% infantry. Im hoping for battles that use most types of soldier units and eac players army is the same size as the army I use on campaign mode - whats it 9 slots or something? I was looking forward to MP but I dont know whether to even bother with it from what Ive read. To me losing and winning is seriously irrelevant its about having a big battle and more to do with how you use the units(and having fun) you have rather than ridiculous odds..........I hope I find players out there who think the same when I do start MP.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliuscivilus View Post
    We play as the COR guy above also often with those rules (high era no art/ele max 8 cav 10k)
    Quite right.
    "... and those people, being naughty in my eyes, shall snuff it... "

Hi not trying to go offf topic, here as Im actually reading about MP before trying it for the first time but what does
    No art no ele max 8 cavalry mean?
    That would mean no artillery or elephants; and only eight cavalry units permitted
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliuscivilus View Post
    You're absolutely right Julius

but to Ramtha the thing is don't give up because of a few bad experiences. You really have to log some time in the lobby getting to know people who are good to play with. I would suggest playing with Clans or joining one. However if it's an open game chances are you'll get sided with noobs against a clan member team. Which is why you need to get to know people.

If you are the one hosting try to use some standardized rules which people will be more inclined to join. It may take several games over several days, but eventually if you're a good host you'll gain a following of good regular players who will play by your rules.

Once you've got a good circle of friends online it's much easier to enforce the rules of your games as well as come up with new ones that you will all agree to experimenting with.

I never had somebody say "why, are you scared?" to me, people usually obeyed the rules, and if they didn't, many times it was an accident, and even did things like routing their art units or eles.

Sometimes i hated ele spammers, but since there were no rules about that i guess you couldn't say they cheated.

Actually around here I don't even try and get a fair game. I just do my best to get one. All I see are about 5 joinable games at most, and 90% of the time I get "NAT negotiatin failed and no response from host" and when I do join in, 90% of the time its either bad-unbearable lag, or we don't even get to deployment cause people can't load up and there's connection problems. And the only time I ever managed to get a game where there was little lag, good rules, and a fair fight I got an unspecified error.

Quote Originally Posted by Player44 View Post
    Actually around here I don't even try and get a fair game. I just do my best to get one. All I see are about 5 joinable games at most, and 90% of the time I get "NAT negotiatin failed and no response from host" and when I do join in, 90% of the time its either bad-unbearable lag, or we don't even get to deployment cause people can't load up and there's connection problems. And the only time I ever managed to get a game where there was little lag, good rules, and a fair fight I got an unspecified error.
    Well if you're talking about M2 try earlier in the morning or later in the evening as there will be less lag issues with gamespy as it's not peak hours which are generally 2 to 7 PM (CST)

The only problem with that is there are less players, but the quality of them might be a little better too since they are there because they want a game and will wait for one to open, unlike during the day when noobs are jumping in and out of games.