Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samurai Warlords beta 8 - Shogun mod for MTW/VI

Default Samurai Warlords beta 8 - Shogun mod for MTW/VI

Download here.

Samurai Warlords beta_8 features:

Common features:
    1) completely self contained overwrite modification for vanilla Medieval:TW / Viking Invasion v2.01,
    that transforms your copy of Medieval:TW into a Shogun-style game.
    (Disclaimer: The original eras of Medieval won't work properly after install, How to make a second install of Medival:TW)
    2) Shogun-style frontend files
    3) frontend Music from Shogun:TW demo (only 1 file so far)
    4) automatic removal of all mtw/vi maps
    5) includes the Shogun:TW soundswapper by TosaInu
    6) Multiple language version support (all versions are changed to English)

Single player campaign features:
    1) Compete with 24 japanese Clans for the domination of the 60 provinces of Japan to gain the title of Shogun.
    2) Original Shogun:TW campaign map
    3) improved/changed clans' starting positions
    4) limited command stars for starting Generals and heroes
    5) limited command stars given by titles
    6) changed the mercenary attractor (to Teahouse) and limited the number of mercs
    7) added more historical samurai names
    8) Single player Battlemaps:
    a) original Shogun:TW textures
    b) impassable terrain corrected on all maps
    c) strengthend castles with more defending units starting inside the castle
    d) Japanese map models (Pagodas, Castles, Temples, etc)

Multiplayer features:

1) stable MP gameplay
    2) near 30 clans to choose from
    3) separation of large and small maps in the map list
    4) new exclusive Multiplayer maps
    a) original Shogun:TW textures
    b) Japanese map models (Pagodas, Castles, Temples, etc)
    5) improved/ new animations for infantry and cavalry
    6) seperated unit stats from single player

Known minor issues:
    - campmap pieces' bases need to be changed again, due to using secondary colours
    - map info pics are showing wrong (medieval) terrain
    - campmap piece for castle_4 is too large
    - Takeda mini flag shows too much transparent
    - "Wooded Roads" is actually a small map but filed under large
    - I broke the large map "Sacred Ground"
    (Fix: Rename \Savemaps\Sacred Ground fl.jjm to \Savemaps\Sacred Ground.jjm to make it usable
    - Geisha is included but based on Inquisitor - we don't know yet what to do with her

How to install:

Download the installer and run it by double-clicking.
    Just follow the instructions until it says: "Medieval installation succesfully modified".

Last edited by R'as al Ghul; March 31, 2007 at 05:05 AM.

Download beta_8
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Default Re: Samurai Warlords beta 8 - Shogun mod for MTW/VI

Coolness, bookmarked. I'll try this out tomorrow, I'll have to reinstall MTW but I'm eager to try it out.

edit: I checked out the screenshots thread in your forum at the Org and I like what I see. You seem to have added a lot of new factions to the slim vanilla STW lineup. I love that, I can only hope there are lots of unique and interesting troops for all those new factions as well.

Heh, too cool, nice job and thanks for your hard work, I've been waiting for more MTW mods for a while.
    Last edited by RZZZA; April 01, 2007 at 05:05 AM.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

very cool , i might be inclinded to find my old copy of MTW to play this.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Okay well I've run into some problems. After I installed the game to my MTW folder and tried to run it I get this error message "STW_Hatamoto: Unkown Unit Name Parsing Deadpage Coords File

Then it starts up and I get a view of the red Shogun splash screen, but when I go to single player campaign I dont see any japanese clans, just the same old vanilla MTW factions...almohads...byzantines...etc.

What'd I do wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I uninstalled and reinstalled everything only this time with Viking Invasion. Seems to have worked okay now, I got no error message and I can see the fuedal japan map when I go to choose eras.
    Last edited by RZZZA; April 01, 2007 at 05:20 PM.

Here's what I think after a few days of play. First I'd like to thank you and everyone else who worked on this mod for their hard work and dedication, the following is constructive criticism.

Ok well, the most important things for me in a mod are faction variety and unit variety. First of all I was very pleased with the amount of factions youve included here, far more then I ever expected. Big factions and small factions, and you didn't skimp on the small factions either which I liked. Now on to the cons...

Unit variety. You didn't add any new units to the mod. Granted, you did take the original STW units and rebalanced them very well. But with all the interesting new factions I was expecting new and unique units for every faction. Instead I realized there were no new units at all, let alone unique factional units.

So I would recommend this mod to any who never played STW, but to those who did I would warn them that this mod has no new units, play only for the new factions and the very balanced feel of the combat.

I'm now playing as the Miyoshi clan and I've wiped out the Chosokabe and the Sanada and taken all of Shikoku. Now I wait to face the Oda clan with their huge armies.
    Last edited by RZZZA; April 03, 2007 at 07:41 PM.

We do plan to add the Mongols to Samurai Warlords, and this faction will be unique. It will be a challenge to balance it against the Japanese unit set. There may also be some new Japanese units added to the SP campaign. We want to maintain the playbalance, so new units have to be carefully considered. The multiplayer unit set is working well in terms of playbalance, but we are planning to add multiple types of the same unit as a way of getting around the 20% tax on taking more than 4 of one unit type.

I think the small unit set helps the battle AI play a stronger game because it was designed to operate within a clearly defined rock, paper, scissors system. If this system is blurred by the introduction of too many unit types, the AI isn't going to be as challenging. If new units are proposed, we would want them to fit into the unit set with a clearly defined purpose that the AI knows how to utilize.

Thanks for trying the mod, and for your comments.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~

We've started a discussion about new possible units:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83517
    You don't need to join us at .org, though. Any suggestion made here will be considered.

R'as

Download beta_8
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Eastern Red's Avatar Semisalis

Downloaded and will install MTW tonight. Very eager to get started but....first I have to mess up the store room to find those 2 games, lol.
    Thanks R'as al Ghul for the mod btw. Cheers!

THE BEGINNING OF A NEW ERA
    COURTESY OF LORD RAHL

Hellmut34's Avatar Miles

superb mod simple as that.

Great challenge even on normal level...can MTW2 or RTW claim that??

A little maiming never hurt anybody

I Don't have stw music or sounds, where can I download them?? (latin orders just don't fit with samurai)

I used to have STW golden but the disk just passed away and I can't even read it..

i get an error sating that i cannot install as it is not a valid win32 application? any ideas?

i am so looking forwards to this mod as i always loved shogun but found that most battles were mainly of sam spears and archers, so i wanted a moddable version - which this would be.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Icon14 Re: Samurai Warlords beta 8 - Shogun mod for MTW/VI

This looks very intevesting....

It's fun. Thought I should mention though, they are all catholic, Orthodox, Muslim, etc...

EDIT: Oh... I suppose this mod is dead...?

yep...its dead....

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxon View Post
    yep...its dead....
    Uh, no.

Not sure why you'd say that, unless you know something the rest of us don't. Last I checked, the SW team was still play-testing beta 8, and are continuing to work on the next version as well.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

because i didnt heard so long something about this mod....but if u will continue ya work , then its nice..

Well I'm not a part of the team working on Samurai Warlords, so I won't claim to have any special knowledge. That said, I do know that the guys are very thorough in testing and building this mod, so there's often long periods of time in which no new announcements are made. (Personally, I think they're probably too busy playing the current version. )
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Hello guys,

sorry for the late replies, I just don't visit this forum that often.
    Totalwar.org is the home of this mod and that's where you get the latest info.
    I'll try to answer all questions in one sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    I Don't have stw music or sounds, where can I download them?? (latin orders just don't fit with samurai)
    I used to have STW golden but the disk just passed away and I can't even read it..
    Tyberius, I may release a music add-on in the near future. Those who have STW can use the music-swapper tool by TosaInu. Info at .org.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    i get an error sating that i cannot install as it is not a valid win32 application? any ideas?
    i am so looking forwards to this mod as i always loved shogun but found that most battles were mainly of sam spears and archers, so i wanted a moddable version - which this would be.
    Quetzalcoatl,
    I haven't heard about that error message. The beat_8 installer is a zip archive that unzips itself and then opens an exe file from within the archive, it also deletes some files. It may be that some virus scanner gives false alarm.
    Please try again.

Quote Originally Posted by ice tyrant View Post
    It's fun. Thought I should mention though, they are all catholic, Orthodox, Muslim, etc...
    EDIT: Oh... I suppose this mod is dead...?
    ice tyrant,
    we've used the different religions of MTW but we still ned to rename them to "Shinto", "Buddhism", etc. We're still thinking about what hard-coded religion fits best to which group.
    And, no, the mod is not dead just moving very slooow.
    If you watch closely you can see it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxon View Post
    yep...its dead....
    No, it's not!
    Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Uh, no.
    Not sure why you'd say that, unless you know something the rest of us don't. Last I checked, the SW team was still play-testing beta 8, and are continuing to work on the next version as well.
    Thanks, Martok.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Well I'm not a part of the team working on Samurai Warlords, so I won't claim to have any special knowledge. That said, I do know that the guys are very thorough in testing and building this mod, so there's often long periods of time in which no new announcements are made. (Personally, I think they're probably too busy playing the current version. )
    : Erm, yes, that's true indeed.
    Me and barocca have been working on the campaign side for this mod but in the last months neither of us had time to do anything major.
    The Multiplayer side is very active, though. That's where our energy and time goes at the moment. Meet us on Sundays, 19:00 GMT.
    For Multiplayer you need the beta_5 version.
    I jsut made a new installer that combines beta_5, Mapapck 1-3 and the Shogun add-on.
    Link:http://www.mizus.com/Ras/SamuraiWars.beta5.Allin1.exe
    Come, join the fun! Recently the player base has increased and we've converted some VI guys. It's not unusual to meet only Samurai players on Sundays. We even had to play several games at the same time to get all players in game.

R'as

Download beta_8

I've uploaded a new sound add-on.
    Got to:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...wpost&t=100439
    for information and download link.

R'as

Download beta_8

yahoo i finally got a moddable version of shogun ~ great work! keep it up!

just downloading music addon.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast