Thread: RTR 6 Gold/Platinum - FAQ (please read this before posting questions)

KALI's Avatar Senator

Default RTR 6 Gold/Platinum - FAQ (please read this before posting questions)

Edited (Brusilov): The old '.net' links have been deleted as they point to the wrong site.

Frequently Asked Questions...Not sure why this thread wasn't opened here previously...maybe it was and it disappeared...But Please read this thread before posting questions about RTR

01) "What happened to the Senate, Brutti, Scipii, and Julii?"
    If you even casually read a non-fiction (re: history) book on the Roman Republic, you'll recognize that the "three family system" and Senate faction as modeled in vanilla RTW is not even remotely historically accurate. The civil wars were between individual generals and their individual legions. The Roman Republic was never, ever, ever, ever, ever divided into individual familiar or factional sub-political-entities. The only time the Roman Empire was ever divided in the way RTW depicts was during the time the Empire was split between East and West. And that is way beyond the timeframe of the original vanilla RTW game and RTR 6.0 Gold. When you play as "The Romans", you are playing as the Roman Republic historically existed: As one unified political, social, and military entity.

02) "Where are the cool Hollywood Romans?" or "Where are the square shields/segmented armor?" or "Why aren't the Romans in red?"
    Hollywood is to blame for the red capes and red plumes commonly associated with Roman soldiers. Though red was a common dye used in the ancient world, there is no evidence the Romans actually wore red capes and had red plumes. We know the configuration of Roman uniforms and gear, but, the colors are open to speculation. With that said, the most commonly asked question here is "Where are the square shields" and "Where is the cool armor that Maximus wore in Gladiator?". The square shields commonly associated with Roman legionaries did not come into common use till after the end of the Republican era. Rome Total Realism's time lines ends in 1 AD, therefore, the square shields you see in movies are outside the timeline of this mod. This also applies to the segmented armor, or lorica segmentata, as it was called, which did not come into use till approximately 30 AD. Again, this is outside the timeframe of Rome Total Realism. The units depicted in RTR are thoroughly researched and accurately represented.

03) "What Happened to the cool Druids, Onagers, Screeching Women, War dogs, etc, etc?"
    Creative Assembly did a great job appealing to the masses by introducing many "elite", "uber", and "hero" units with "special abilities". This is common for most RTS games. However, historically, armies were not composed of units of armed, chanting druids, "screeching women" were not recruited as an army unit, wardogs were not used en masse, and onagers did not tower two hundred feet in the air. RTR is a comprehensive mod that replaces every original RTW unit with thoroughly researched, historically accurate military units for each faction.

04) "How Do I Install Rome Total Realism and Rome Total War at the same time?"
    This is thoroughly covered here: http://forums.totalrealism.net/showthread.php?t=188

05) "Why are there so many phalanx units?"
    At 280 BC, much of the world was Greek. The Ptolemaic Dynasty of Egypt was Greek, the Seleucid Empire was Greek, the Kingdom of Macedon was Greek, the various Greek City-States, obviously, were Greek. The basis of the Greek military was the phalanx, and dozens of her variations. The City-States used the traditional spear-based phalanx, as did the various copies made by the barbarians, whereas the Macedonian and Hellenistic kingdoms used the Sarissa, a pike. In order to properly represent these factions, and the backbone of their military, one must give them many phalanx units. And, to the entire Rome: Total Realism team, realism is key. So the obvious answer to the "what units should Egypt get?" would be "Hoplites."

06) "Where did the Britons go?!"
    The Britons were historically insignificant. They did little more than be conquered by the Romans. They were isolationist, though they had ties to Celtic Gaul, and the Parisii tribe, along with others, of Gaul fled to Britannia after the Gallic revolt led by Vercingetorix failed. The Illyrians, inventors of the liburnia, and great pirates, were much more historically significant in Europe. Due to that fact, the Illyrians have been added in the place of Britons. The Britons are, in a sense, still there, but they are rebels. Lots and lots of rebels.

07) "What is the AoR thing anyway?"
    The AoR/ZoR (Area/Zone of Recruitment) system gives factions the ability to recruit unique units from lands they conquer and also accurately represents the fact that conquering armies could not immediately replenish their ranks from the local population. For example, a Roman consul could not invade Gaul and immediately recruit Principes and Triarii from the local villages. A period of assimilation would need to take place before the Romans could begin training their own Roman-style armies. The Roman player can, for instance, recruit Gallic warbands to add to his armies, or recruit local mercenaries. This adds historical flavor to the game recruitment mechanic and also lends greater versatility to your army composition. Any faction can recruit nearly any unit in the game now, but faction specific units (ie, Triarii) remain only faction specific.

08) "How do I play multiplayer with RTR 6.x?"
    To play RTR 6.0 Gold on multiplayer, you simply need to do is find another person that plays the exact same version of RTR as you do. The best way to arrange a multiplayer game would be to visit the multiplayer forum and find the "Rtr Multiplayer Crew! " thread which lists players and various ways to contact them(Xfire is the easiest and most used method).
    http://forums.totalrealism.net/forumdisplay.php?f=68

09) "What are land bridges?"
    Land Bridges allows you to move from one coast to another without using a fleet. The Land Bridges were created to both aid the AI in expanding over sea (which in many cases it is reluctant to do so) and to create an abstraction for how an army could move over a narrow channel of water with rafts, barges, and small craft, without the need for a fleet of transports. The Land Bridges are available in the following locations.
    Caralis-Aleria
    Rhegium-Messana
    Athens-Chalkida
    Byzantion-Nicomedia
    Maronia-Abydos
    Smyrna-Mytilene
    Side-Kyrenos

10) "What are these auxilia buildings?"
    The auxilia buildings slows down the game a bit by avoiding the "steam rolling affect" common in the vanilla game and reflects the fact that it took some time to change the culture of a settlement. The Phase I Auxilia structure represents your cultures subjugation of a foreign territory. The structure only gives you a population control benefit, but is necessary to construct the Phase II Auxilia structure. The Phase II structure, with some factions, allows you to recruit limited local troop types, and lends additional population control benefits. This is considered an abstraction of your colonization of the area. Finally, the Phase III Auxilia structure allows you to recruit all locally available native troop types, and also adds additional population control benefits. This structure is an abstraction that represents your cultures assimilation of a native territory. You can only start to build your own faction's "core units" after you've finished building all of the auxilia buildings and completed the Provincial Barracks structure.

Additional Notes on Barracks:
    - Foreign Provincial barracks, Royal barracks and Auxilia buildings are completely useless and can be safely destroyed.
    - Foreign Stables and Practice Ranges will allow you to produce the corresponding units but they will give a cultural penalty.

- The military buildings work like this:
    Auxilia Phase 1 = Gives a happiness bonus
    Auxilia Phase 2 = Able to build basic AoR units in the area.
    Auxilia Phase 3 = Able to build all AoR units in the area.
    Barracks = Build basic faction units + all AoR units in the area.
    Royal Barracks = All faction units + all AoR units in the area.

11) "I'm in year X BC and still have not had the Marian Reforms!"
    Gaius Marius reformed the Roman army in the year 107 BC. This reform was undertaken in part because the Roman military engine had exhausted all eligible Romans of proper social rank for the military, and the Republic was under increasing pressure from the Gauls to the north and from Jugurtha of Numidia to the south, not to mention Mithradates in the east. By allowing members of society from the "head count", or, the landless lower class, Marius created a standing professional army for the first time in Roman history. The reform date in Rome Total War is hardcoded by the developers at Creative Assembly, and can occur at any date after 220 BC. However, several factors influence this. The reform will only occur if you have constructed at least one imperial palace in Italy and have sufficient population in Rome (this factor is open to dispute, however). The Rome Total Realism Team did not change the date of the Marius reforms, or influence it in any way. So, if you're unhappy you are in year 30 BC and still don't have legionaries, either build an imperial palace, or write to Creative Assembly.

12) "Will there be a mod of BI?" or "Is RTR compatible with BI" or "Will RTR 7.0 be set in the RTW or BI Timeframe?" etc.
    The current build of Rome Total Realism is 6.0 Gold and is set in the timeframe of 280 BC to 1 AD. RTR 7.0 is currently in production and will be based on the Barbarian Invasion (1.6) engine, and will be based in the original RTR timeframe of 280 BC to 1 AD. The RTR Team is not going to release a version of the current RTR 6.x build that will be compatible with BI or with the 1.3 RTW patch. Instead, the Team is focusing its efforts on RTR 7.0 which will feature much more content and will be well worth the wait.

RTR Gold has been ported to the 1.5/1.6 engine by a group of fans. Please refer to #20 for more information.

13) "Which difficulty setting is best?" or "What difficulty setting is RTR made for?" or "What do the difficulty levels mean?" etc.
    Many prefer Hard/Hard, others prefer VH/VH, though very few play on Easy or Medium. Some have suggested that a "difficulty bug" exists, which causes Med to be harder than Hard and Very Hard to be the easiest of all. However, this 'difficulty bug' seems to be a rumor, and nothing more. The RTR Team suggests you play on whichever difficulty setting works best for you. Below are the known effects of the difficulty levels:

Battle difficulty:
    Easy: +4 morale and +4 attack to your troops.
    Medium: No bonuses.
    Hard: +4 morale and +4 attack to the ai troops.
    Very hard: +7 morale and +7 attack to the ai troops.

Campaign difficulty: Exact effects are not known but the AI cheats on VH by getting an extra $10,000 a turn.

14) "How do I take a screenshot and post it on the forum?"
    To take a screenshot follow this simple guide;

1. Hit Print Screen key on your keyboard to capture the image into memory.
    2. Open any graphics program such as MSPaint, Infranview, ACDSEE, or Photoshop, etc.
    3. Hit Ctrl-V
    4. Save the image as .jpg
    5. While making a new post
    6. Hit "Browse" button next to "File Attachments"
    7. Select the .jpg file you just saved, hit OK, and then hit "Add This Attachment"
    8. Complete the post by hitting "Add Reply"

15) "I purchased RTW Gold edition, which includes RTW and BI patched to version 1.5, can I play RTR?"
    Yes, you need to use the manual 1.2 patch. More information about the patch can be found here, at the "How can I install the official version 1.2 patch manually?" section.
    http://forums.totalrealism.net/showthread.php?t=188

Alternatively, you can play RTR: Platinum Edition, which is based upon RTW 1.5/1.6. For more information, please refer to #20.

16) "What is the current version of RTR?
    Review this thread for all information about the latest version(s) of RTR. http://forums.totalrealism.net/showthread.php?t=286

17) "Is there a map of 6.0 Gold available to download?
    Yes, you can download this political map for RTR 6.0 Gold. http://forums.totalrealism.net/showthread.php?t=396
    Last edited by Brusilov; April 06, 2009 at 12:30 PM.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

Default Re: Please Read This Before Posting Questions. Faq

Sad thing is, as many faqs as people post, more people will simply refuse to read them, and keep posting the same stupid questions....
    Maximus Lazero
    Why is it that at least one of the Romans are wusses?

Default Re:Siege Engines

It would seem you are Not aware of the true size of Ancient siege engines.

The " Helepolis" as these machines were called , that the Macedonian King Demetrious used during the Siege of Rhodes was so large that after his defeat by the Rhodians they used the metal to build the Collossus of Rhodes in memory of that cities founder Rhodes and his wife Roda.

"
    The machine was composed of Nine Stories , whose dimensions gradually lessened in ascent. The First story was supported by forty-three beams , and the last by no more than nine.
    Three sides of the machine were plated over with Iron, to prevent it's being damaged by the fires that were launched from the city.
    In the front of each story were little windoes , whose form and dimensions corresponded with the nature of the arrows that were to be shot from the machine. Over each window was a kind of curtain made with leather , stuffed with wool: this was let down by a machine for that purpose , and the intension of it was to break the force of whatever should be discharged by the enemy against it.
    Each story had Two large staircases , one for the ascent of the men, and the other for their descent.
    This machine was moved forward by 3400 of the strongest and most vigorous men in the whole army , but the art with which it was built facilitated the motion.
    Demetrius also gave directions for building a great number of other machines of , of differing magnitudes , and for various uses; he also employed his seamen in levelling the ground over which the machines were to move , which was 100 fathoms in lenght. The number of artisans and others employed on these works , amounted to near 30,000 men, by which means they were finished with incredible expedition."
    History of Alexander's Successors. Charles Rollins 1829

Just Imagine trying to besiege Ancient Babylon? The walls of Babylon , home of the Tower of babel, were 87 feet broad, 350 feet high, and 60 miles in circumference. The City was taken by breaking through a sewage channel. This great city was built by Nimrod.
    So in fact the game RTW does Not depict the Massive sizes of Ramparts or Walls in some occasions.

KALI's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Lazero View Post
    Sad thing is, as many faqs as people post, more people will simply refuse to read them, and keep posting the same stupid questions....

Lol,
    but at least I don't feel obliged to answer them anymore .........

KALI's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Siege Engines

double post.....wierd
    Last edited by KALI; April 02, 2007 at 04:19 AM.

KALI's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Siege Engines

Quote Originally Posted by Segestan View Post
    It would seem you are Not aware of the true size of Ancient siege engines.

The " Helepolis" as these machines were called , that the Macedonian King Demetrious used during the Siege of Rhodes was so large that after his defeat by the Rhodians they used the metal to build the Collossus of Rhodes in memory of that cities founder Rhodes and his wife Roda.

"
    The machine was composed of Nine Stories , whose dimensions gradually lessened in ascent. The First story was supported by forty-three beams , and the last by no more than nine.
    Three sides of the machine were plated over with Iron, to prevent it's being damaged by the fires that were launched from the city.
    In the front of each story were little windoes , whose form and dimensions corresponded with the nature of the arrows that were to be shot from the machine. Over each window was a kind of curtain made with leather , stuffed with wool: this was let down by a machine for that purpose , and the intension of it was to break the force of whatever should be discharged by the enemy against it.
    Each story had Two large staircases , one for the ascent of the men, and the other for their descent.
    This machine was moved forward by 3400 of the strongest and most vigorous men in the whole army , but the art with which it was built facilitated the motion.
    Demetrius also gave directions for building a great number of other machines of , of differing magnitudes , and for various uses; he also employed his seamen in levelling the ground over which the machines were to move , which was 100 fathoms in lenght. The number of artisans and others employed on these works , amounted to near 30,000 men, by which means they were finished with incredible expedition."
    History of Alexander's Successors. Charles Rollins 1829

Just Imagine trying to besiege Ancient Babylon? The walls of Babylon , home of the Tower of babel, were 87 feet broad, 350 feet high, and 60 miles in circumference. The City was taken by breaking through a sewage channel. This great city was built by Nimrod.
    So in fact the game RTW does Not depict the Massive sizes of Ramparts or Walls in some occasions.

a. Why post this in a FAQ thread

b. Whats the relevance to the RTR game this is an issue with RTW

c. We all know that RTW is not accurate...thats why RTR attempts to address things.

d. Btw If your refering to the sentence where we state, Onagers didn't tower 200 foot into the air...well guess what they didn't.

and finally e. I know about the helepolos...I'm guessing you've been reading a bit of Osprey.

Isnt that the FAQ of the rometotalrealism forums?

Busy!!!

KALI's Avatar Senator

Indeed it is...and these are the RTR forums at the TWC........

nobody will ever ever read a sticky first

if u want ppl to read this post it as a normal thread

KALI's Avatar Senator

If a FAQ is posted as a normal thread it will disappear of the board.
    If people don't read the stickies, thats their problem. A FAQ stops me or others having to answer the same inane questions again and again and again and again and again and again and again, oh and then again and again and again, ad infinitum. Instead we can simply post
    "Read the FAQ's"
    Last edited by KALI; April 06, 2007 at 05:31 AM.

Kali, i have a copy post here of the solutions to common problems thread that was made by def at rtr.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60685
    I think it is wise to post the link to this one here at twc since at some times the rtr forums might be down. Other then that, we do have a pinned thread with essential info and link to the rtr FAQ that I`ve kept updated.

EDIT: and I suggest you close this one as well to avoid any further spamming.

KALI's Avatar Senator

Good idea I'll ask MCM to close it,
    Btw I don't have moderators powers around here...

p.s I didn't notice the FAQ link in the essential info... However this doesn't seem any easier to find for some people.

I wonder how you were able to pin it then....
    Ok, closed.

Default Re: RTR 6 Gold/Platinum - FAQ (please read this before posting questions)

Moved this thread to the RTR PE forum. There's a new one about RTR VII now in the main forums.