Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can i do to play Romano British in BI?

Zephyrus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default What can i do to play Romano British in BI?

Is there any mod or can some1 tell me the changes i need to make in order to play romano british?
    SEMPER FIDELIS Remember Constantinople Κωνσταντινούπολη

Default Re: What can i do to play Romano British in BI?

You could try: Invasio Barbarorum Flagellum Dei. Check the BI Hosted mods. It has Romano Britsh unlocked.

You can add them into map yourself. It involves transferring settlements to them in descr_strat.txt - moving other factions armies out of those settlements, giving the romano_british a family tree and armies, removing dead_until_resurrected line and moving them to playable section, all in descr_strat.txt.

You also need a simple change to descr_sm_factions.txt to remove spawned_on_event line - and you need to rename the hidden resource that triggers their emergence ('britain' to something else) in export_descr_buildings.txt and descr_regions.txt

Post again if you want to do it that way and need more info - I'll either try and explain a bit more or point you at a tutorial.

Well, I'll definitly take what you can explain to me, as I'm probably going to need a step by step account of how to fix em in my gameplay. I appreciate the support!

descr_strat.txt in your bi/data/world/maps/campaign/campaign folder is the place to start see this for how to transfer province from one faction to another
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpo...6&postcount=14
    as romano_british were not originally on the map you need to give them a new family tree - easiest way of doing that is to copy the entire army and family section from another faction (preferably one with few entries), eg: berbers, and paste it below R-B's new settlement section:
    character Aswad, named character, leader, age 58, , x 12, y 46
    traits FactionLeader 1, GoodBuilder 1 , KindRuler 1 , GoodFarmer 2 , Christian 1
    army
    unit desert chieftain exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit hillmen exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit berber axemen exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit berber axemen exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit moorish raiders exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character Hamza, named character, heir, age 24, , x 38, y 18
    traits FactionHeir 1, GoodCommander 2 , GoodTaxman 1 , Christian 1
    army
    unit desert chieftain exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit berber lancers exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit african peasant exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit desert archers african exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character Podozaq, diplomat, age 38, , x 22, y 43
    traits Christian 1

character Abdullah, spy, age 26, , x 35, y 40
    traits GoodSpy 1 , Christian 1

character Qabus, assassin, age 26, , x 51, y 26
    traits GoodAssassin 4

character_record Sumayya, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 50, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Azzah, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 21, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Malikum, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 15, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Mundhir, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 10, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Shurahbil, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 5, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Banah, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 5, alive, never_a_leader

relative Aswad, Sumayya, Hamza, Malikum, Mundhir, Shurahbil, end
    relative Hamza, Azzah, Banah, end
    From that you need to change all the family names to ones valid for the romano_british - (look up but don't change their section in bi/data/descr_names.txt) there will be at least two entries for each name so make sure you change each version of the original name to same new name - two examples of male name are marked in red, and one of female and childs name in blue so you can see where they duplicate.
    The army co-ordinates (example marked in purple) for the generals must be changed - you should have written down the co-ordinates from the armies you moved out of the settlements you re-assigned so change them to those.The agents section marked in green can be deleted or commented out for now - if you want to include them they also need unique RB names and new co-ordinates. Cut the romano_british entry at top of descr_strat from unplayable and place it in playable.

As said before delete the dead_until_resurrected line for the RB's in descr_strat as well. That should load at that stage but you should change the units of the starting armies to something they can own, look up export_descr_buildings.txt for units they can recruit - example of names to be changed marked in orange.

Also remove the spawned_on_event entry for them in descr_sm_factions.txt
    faction romano_british, spawned_on_event
    culture roman
    part marked in red including comma.

Peculiarity with romano_brits is they have a hard coded trigger for their emergence. If you don't disable it you can get crash when other trigger conditions are met - and they are already on map. To disable it open export_descr_building.txt and change each (think only two) instance of word 'britain' to anything else i.e. england or whatever, then go to descr_regions.txt which is in either your campaign or world/maps/base folder and change each instance of 'britain' there to same thing you did in EDB.

Delete your map.rwm file (probably in /base or possibly in /campaign) that will regenerate when you re-start game, new one will include your changes. That should be it.

NOTE: It's quite easy to codz up editing descr_strat in particular - you should always make back-up of any files before you alter them. And you should use -show_err on your shortcut, that will give you error message for most mistakes, though using family names from wrong faction or miss-spelling them can give straight CTD!

Cool, I think i have it all solved now for installing the romanos. Thx!

Hello, first time poster, longtime BI player.

I have a question regarding modding the Romano_British faction that I haven't been able to figure out. In short the only real change I'm trying to make is for the RB to spawn up in central Italy instead of on the west coast of Britain. I've been trying to find the file that tells the RB and the Slavs where to spawn so I can modify them, but I haven't had much luck.

-Stumped.

The roman britsh spawn in the region that has a Hidden resource 'Britain' (I hope my spelling is correct). The hidden resources are listed in the descr_regions.txt - you have to place the 'britain' to the regions you want your RB to spawn.

Anellien is right about the 'britain' resource, the RB's should spawn when those regions are captured from their original owner by another faction, the mechanism is hard coded and I think a bit buggy.

Location slavs spawn is set in descr_events.txt which is in your data/world/maps/campaign/... folder,
    event emergent_faction slavs
    date 47 summer
    region Locus_Barbaricum
    note though you can only use a region that has border along an edge of the map, which won't help with Italy. Only other thing you can do is use script and 'spawn army' to exact co-ordinates you want, I think faction has to already be on map for that to work though.

Might it be possible to set the names of characters that are part of an emerging faction? If so you could use the script to move them to Italy.

If this does not work, you could place the horde on the map from the beginning with the character having Immovable traits. Once the right time comes, use the script to the location you want, and via script give all the characters the movable trait.

I changed the descr_regions.txt so that only the Italian provinces have the "britain" resource, but when the RB spawn they are still appearing in western Britain and not in Italy. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this?

Otherwise I'm just going to make them spawn_by event (year) like the Slavs do.

I changed the descr_regions.txt so that only the Italian provinces have the "britain" resource, but when the RB spawn they are still appearing in western Britain and not in Italy. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this?
    Hmm, weird if you're sure you removed "britain" resource from Britain. Try changing the internal names for the regions so you make Northern_ Italy, Britannia_Superior instead - or whichever one they are currently appearing in - and vice versa. If you just swap the existing names you only need to change descr_strat, and descr_regions initially though in the end you will want to change some of the other files (win conditions, mercs etc.)
    Otherwise I'm just going to make them spawn_by event (year) like the Slavs do.
    Just remember that would have to be at edge of map. Though Anallein had some good ideas on that.
    Might it be possible to set the names of characters that are part of an emerging faction? If so you could use the script to move them to Italy.
    No you can't control names of characters in emerging faction. But M2TW uses system that might work, Mongols (or Timurids can't remember which) come on as emergent faction, then script later spawns armies that do have named leaders and those leaders get moved to new locations (would leave your faction leader behind though as he would have come on with first emergence)

If this does not work, you could place the horde on the map from the beginning with the character having Immovable traits. Once the right time comes, use the script to the location you want, and via script give all the characters the movable trait.
    That should work I think, you would need them probably on inaccessible island though (in which case you wouldn't need to bother about giving the immovable trait), and make sure you moved them before generals died of old age (also new family members being born would complicate things)

Makanyane,

Thanks a lot! I made it work by switching Britannia_Superior and Northern_Italy, now all I have to do is go through all the other files like you said and iron out any problems.

The reason I am trying to do this is that I have been modding my BI to incorporate things that happen a little further in the early Middle Ages and be more realistic...for example, the Roxolanen I've changed to the Avars, the Sarmatians to the Alans, the Celts to the Heruli, burgundii to norsemen/vikings. The Berbers I've changed to the Arabs and started them in a new province in Arabia, and they can now Horde as well(seeing as how they were more historically relevant than the Berbers). For the Slavs I have doubled the number of family members and Horde units, as I find otherwise that faction tends to die off pretty quick. What I'm trying to do with the RB is to have them be "The Papal States" and retake Rome once it is conquered.

All of the factions that I've modified I've given corresponding units and reworked a lot of their units/cultures and renamed everything. I have added about 35 new provinces and balanced the factions out to behave a little more "historically" accurate, but it's still a work in progress.

Mamon, thanks for confirming that works - I'll try and write info up for the Wiki on how the emergence etc works, as question comes up periodically (normally when I've forgotten relevant bits)....

Your mod sounds interesting, if you think you might ever release it (or just want other peoples comments on the ideas) you could put a thread about it in the Mod Threads section.

To makanyane

I'm trying to make Romano British playable, but it won't work.

I keep getting:

"Generic Error: DATABASE_TABLE error found: unrecognized record id romano british warlords exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested."

I think I've done everthing you said, here's what's written about romano british in my descr_strat file:

"faction romano_british, balanced caesar
    denari 10000
    settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Britannia_Superior
    year_founded 363
    population 2597
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator celts
    building
    {
    type core_building governors_villa
    }
    building
    {
    type defenses wooden_wall
    }
    building
    {
    type barracks militia_barracks
    }
    building
    {
    type market trader
    }
    building
    {
    type port_buildings port
    }
    building
    {
    type health sewers
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_farms farms
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_roads paved_roads
    }
    building
    {
    type temple_of_mithras temple_of_mithras_shrine
    }
    }
    character Artorius, named character, leader, age 58, , x 57, y 128
    traits FactionLeader 1, GoodBuilder 1 , KindRuler 1 , GoodFarmer 2 , Christian 1
    army
    unit romano british warlords exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    character Brycham, named character, heir, age 24, , x 57, y 128
    traits FactionHeir 1, GoodCommander 2 , GoodTaxman 1 , Christian 1
    army
    unit romano british warlords exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character_record Claudia, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 50, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Julia, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 21, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Wotecorix, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 15, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Voteporix, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 10, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Vortigern, male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 5, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Drusilla, female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 5, alive, never_a_leader
    relative Artorius, Claudia, Brycham, Wotecorix, Voteporix, Vortigern, end
    relative Brycham, Julia, Drusilla, end"

are there any errors???:hmmm:

thanks
    daeth canfu choncrai

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    he came he saw he conquered

89% of teens would die today if myspace was destroyed. If you are one of the 11% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

have you got at least one tab space after
    romano british warlords
    ?

I think it's telling you that it's trying to find a unit called
    "romano british warlords exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0"
    because it thinks you've written that all as one unit name

i followed your advice and it works now, thanks
    daeth canfu choncrai

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    he came he saw he conquered

89% of teens would die today if myspace was destroyed. If you are one of the 11% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

I know it is late, very late, but I think that Britain resource you deleted has nothing to do with them spawning. It is for the recruiting of the Graal Knights.

recruit "graal knights" 0 requires factions { romano_british, } and hidden_resource britain

If you removed the resource without modding the building file, you will not be able to recruit Graal Knights at all.

I was just thinking of doing the same thing for ERER and WRER myself. Now that I saw the process posted here matched my own speculations, I just have to find the time to do it. I always wanted to play a small Roman faction against the big Roman factions and the rest of factions.
    Last edited by RMSN NIKE; February 12, 2009 at 03:09 AM.
    Riddle me this, riddle me that:
    Who was my first commander?
    How many of me are active right now?
    And who drank a Delacourt '27 when received the commandership of me?

Quote Originally Posted by RMSN NIKE View Post
    I know it is late, very late, but I think that Britain resource you deleted has nothing to do with them spawning. It is for the recruiting of the Graal Knights.

recruit "graal knights" 0 requires factions { romano_british, } and hidden_resource britain

If you removed the resource without modding the building file, you will not be able to recruit Graal Knights at all.
    you're right about that if you remove totally the britain resource from descr_regions only

but it actually does both, allows the unit and is part of the trigger for the emergence event

if you want to stop them emerging and still want "graal knights" to work as before you need to change each instance of 'britain' in descr_regions and the building file to something else like 'not_britain' then it will work as normal resource and only control the recruitment.

it's one of those words that relates to a hard-coded bit of the game engine, like romans_senate does in RTW

ClaytonUK's Avatar Laetus

Hey i know the topic is years old but im havin difficulty doing this maybe you/ or someone could help me out?Please add my msn? Jack_clayton94@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast