Thread: Hexagon Council Evaluation

Default Hexagon Council Evaluation

I'd like to tackle this issue of Hex competency and responsibility head on. I can't help but feel that Hex has stagnated, and it is this stagnation that has created many problems on the site. I've gone through it ad nauseum in the Representation of the Citizens bill debate, if you'd like some specifics of where I'm coming from with this.

Well, what I'd like, and Hex, being the opaque and divine entity it is (due to the divinity it has ascribed itself), to enlighten us on the bottom of the food chain here, what is it you are doing?

How did you make your way into Hex (what were the circumstances of your ascension)?
    What role do you fulfill in Hex?
    What role are you supposed to fulfill?
    Do you feel you do a good job at what you are supposed to do?
    Do you feel you bring anything unique to your position that another individual cannot provide?
    Why are you still in Hex?

And, please, enlighten us with any more information you are willing to divulge. I just want to get an idea of the individuals that serve on Hex... and, perhaps, for them to discover something about themselves.

I also encourage other citizens to ask their questions here... if Hex will not have any sort of open forum or transparency willingly, perhaps popular opinion will encourage them to do so.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Default Re: Hexagon Council Evaluation

This should be interesting, I wonder if Prof will give us a more detailed evaluation hehe.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Rolanbek's Avatar Malevolent Revenent
    Citizen

interesting.

Ask someone to pass you a stick to beat them with....

Don Quixote rides again.

R
    November 06, 2006 02:10 PM If I knew you were going to populate the Curia with cheapshots, you never would have gotten promoted. - Anon

Love mail from when Rep came with daggers to stab you...
    Join the Curia, loudmouths spewing bile for your entertainment.
    Contents:Sirloin of deceased Equine, your choice of hot or cold revenge, All served on a bed of barrel shavings. may contain nuts

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Despite the fact 've just resigned, ill post anyway:

How did you make your way into Hex (what were the circumstances of your ascension)?
    Prior to the release of M2Tw there were discussion in Hex about adding a 5th strategos, and i was chosen for the role. I found out about the discussions once i was promoted.

I was the modding admin, responsible for adding in new hosted mod forums, and i was also the CA Liasion.

Helping to support the mod community and help it as much as i can.

A lack of time mean that i was not doing a good job as i could not devote the time needed, hence my resignation.

Do you feel you bring anything unique to your position that another individual cannot provide?
    I felt i bought a unique perspective to Hex, and my large involvment with the mod community also helped prvoide another perspective in Hex.

I cannot help but disagree with your assessment Prof. Hex is not stagnating, but no one can really understand this unless they are in Hex themselves, as only then will they see the discussions going on.

Recently we have started to evaluate our activity levels so that we could discuss if we felt each Hex member was contributing enough.

The big problem with Hex has been a slight lack of direction caused by the fact that ON could just come in and change things, and undo things Hex had done. But with ON out of the picture, that problem will disappear. It will take a while for Hex to get used to it, but i can only see Hex doing better and better, especially with the current members of it.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

I have a few Questions:

Why is it that within the last three months Hex has not organised one competition?

Why is it that within the last three months the Hexagon have not used their gold status and its assets to better our community?

Why is it that areas of the site such as The Coliseum, Picture of the Day and various other side projects I cant remember are not active and not performing as they should be?

Why is it that no admin has fixed the two empty areas of the fromt page after I personally PM'd both Ogres.net and informed a few administrators about its shameful state?

What are the plans to support and expand the Multiplayer community?

What happened to Battlezone?

How will the Hexagon work at attracting more modders?

Why after numerous comversations with a few members of Hexagon have the Helios, ES, and other content staff not been rewarded with any status and/or rank?

Why do a group of people who pushed for the merging of UL and Quaestors into one elected rank now suddenly oppose moderator elections when the worry of ON is gone? This obviously with the exeption of Simetrical who was not Hexagon at the time. I remember the rest of Hex in support though.

Are all members of Hexagon Active?
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.

Why is it that within the last three months Hex has not organised one competition?
    Im assuming this is referring to the Member awards. I suppose we all forgot, though with recent discussions about it those should be done soon.

Why is it that within the last three months the Hexagon have not used their gold status and its assets to better our community?
    Having Gold Affiliate status automatically guarantees use more traffic given our position of prominence on the community page at .com. Apart from that, and the news from CA Gold Affiliate status does not better the community, apart from show that CA realise we are one of the best fansites out there.

Why is it that areas of the site such as The Coliseum, Picture of the Day and various other side projects I cant remember are not active and not performing as they should be?
    Picture of the Day isn't run by Hex, its run by Shazbot.

Why is it that no admin has fixed the two empty areas of the fromt page after I personally PM'd both Ogres.net and informed a few administrators about its shameful state?
    The Latest Files Added and Featured Download sections? Didn't even know they were empty(shows how much i visit the front page)

Don't know of any, there should probably be some official TWc tournament arranged or something.

Not enough interest in it.
    Why after numerous comversations with a few members of Hexagon have the Helios, ES, and other content staff not been rewarded with any status and/or rank?
    Do you mean a new Content staff rank, or with the civ rank?

Why do a group of people who pushed for the merging of UL and Quaestors into one elected rank now suddenly oppose moderator elections when the worry of ON is gone? This obviously with the exeption of Simetrical who was not Hexagon at the time. I remember the rest of Hex in support though.
    Perrsonally its because of how obessed with elections the Curia has become, as if they are the be all and end all, the golden bullet to solve the Curias problems.

I would like to see the Curia realise that elections are not its main task, its main task now should be to improve the community and site, with elections coming back later once the Curia has lost its fascination with them.

Yes they are. If Hex members do not have the time to commit to Hex, they resign like i and Tac have.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Also, don't forget that if people want multiplayer they should start championing it rather than expect Hex to spoonfeed it to them.

Same goes for a lot of things, if you strongly feel that it should be here at TWC then start posting about it and badgering Hex members to allow you to do it.

Maybe, just maybe, because Hex has been distracted by certain 'minor' issues over the last 3 months? :hmmm:
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Quote Originally Posted by Tacticalwithdrawal View Post
    Also, don't forget that if people want multiplayer they should start championing it rather than expect Hex to spoonfeed it to them.

Same goes for a lot of things, if you strongly feel that it should be here at TWC then start posting about it and badgering Hex members to allow you to do it.

Maybe, just maybe, because Hex has been distracted by certain 'minor' issues over the last 3 months? :hmmm:

People should not have to campaign for things which are regarded as standard on many fansites. Why should the members have to work and do the jobs that the Hexagon are given status and rank to do? Its about time Hexagon realise that it isnt only their job to run themselves, the Curia and the moderators. I do not dispute that they run the forum well, they do, it has the best moderator policy I know of. However the community has been neglected.

When I was Hex I did not have the power and status the current Hex do, I did not have the freedom of initiative that is currently present. To state the community should do things that Hexagon are appointed to do, like expanding and bettering the community is bordering on the insane. It is Hexagons responsibility to do many of the things I stated, and its a responsibility I feel is being neglected. The fact that a member who isnt even Hex (Me) is/was the only one who updated site content with minimal help from most Hex speaks volumes aobut the current problem. The fact that Gig, who isnt a member of Hex will be taking over is interesting, I hope that he at least is rewarded for the work he has to do. Hex delegate work down to various organisations and do very little in terms of the fansite. The reason I post this is because I was in Hex twice, and when I see the waste when it comes to the freedom and opportunity the current Hex have to better the site, I get annoyed.

Picture of the Day isn't run by Hex, its run by Shazbot.
    Is it not a TWC feature and thus does it not fall under the rule of Hex? Why did it loose the front page exposure it had?

The Latest Files Added and Featured Download sections? Didn't even know they were empty(shows how much i visit the front page)
    I find the lack of knowlegge about this issue disturbing coming from a member/former Hex. Look at the front page now and you'll know what I'm talking about. As for the DD menu download index, I fixed that and updated it last week. Not that Hex noticed. (hence the lack of thank you rep pfft)
    Don't know of any, there should probably be some official TWc tournament arranged or something.
    Multiplayer doesnt even have a subforum ffs! Why doesnt Hex organise one? Use their gold status to get a prize? Its not rocket science..
    Do you mean a new Content staff rank, or with the civ rank?
    Content staff rank.

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

When I was Hex I did not have the power and status the current Hex do, I did not have the freedom of initiative that is currently present.
    The reason I post this is because I was in Hex twice, and when I see the waste when it comes to the freedom and opportunity the current Hex have to better the site, I get annoyed.
    what freedom of opportunity? unless you are talking about the new ownership which has only been in place for about 2 weeks and is still sorting things out (and I know Hex in that 2 weeks have been concentrating on slightly more important things like site stability etc).

So, your whole complaint basically boils down to Hex not doing enough in the last 2 weeks?

at a time when there was a transfer of ownership and all that entails?

interesting...............

Multiplayer doesnt even have a subforum ffs! Why doesnt Hex organise one? Use their gold status to get a prize? Its not rocket science..
    Why aren't people screaming for it if they are so interested? It needs two to tango

The fact that a member who isnt even Hex (Me) is/was the only one who updated site content with minimal help from most Hex speaks volumes aobut the current problem.
    um no, as you are well aware (I know 'cos we discussed it several times) you not being in Hex had nothing to do with your role.

The fact that Gig, who isnt a member of Hex will be taking over is interesting.
    Why is it interesting? Hex is giving the role to someone who is both enthusiastic to do it and good at it. Seems to me thats a part of good management - identify talented and interested people and give them the jobs they want/can do.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Is it not a TWC feature and thus does it not fall under the rule of Hex? Why did it loose the front page exposure it had?
    Ogres Net changed that, we did not.

I find the lack of knowlegge about this issue disturbing coming from a member/former Hex. Look at the front page now and you'll know what I'm talking about. As for the DD menu download index, I fixed that and updated it last week. Not that Hex noticed. (hence the lack of thank you rep pfft)
    What? I never need to visit the front page, i did not do anything related to it.

Multiplayer does have a sub forum, inside the main general discussion forum.

Content staff rank.
    With their own badge? My only conern i would have with that is making it clear they are not moderating staff.

Why should the members have to work and do the jobs that the Hexagon are given status and rank to do? Its about time Hexagon realise that it isnt only their job to run themselves, the Curia and the moderators.
    Hex is 6-7 people, a group of several thousand is going to have a lot more ideas than just 6-7. and if you think we've been neglecting the community you are wrong. Do you now the first thing that was discussed once Ogre sold the site to Imb? How we could better help mod teams(got several really good ideas), but that is on hold until we move to our own hosting.

The community has been neglected a bit, but now it is being given more focus in Hex, this should happen even more as we will hopefully be discussing the Curia less in Hex, as it took up a lot of debating time.

The reason I post this is because I was in Hex twice, and when I see the waste when it comes to the freedom and opportunity the current Hex have to better the site, I get annoyed.
    You think we aren't bouncing around ideas etc? Do you think we just sit on our arses all day long or something?

To state the community should do things that Hexagon are appointed to do, like expanding and bettering the community is bordering on the insane.
    The community should post ideas on how to improve the community, discuss them as there would be a lot more input than just Hex discussing it, then Hex could implement the ideas, as well as any ideas of its own.
    Creator of:

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Quote Originally Posted by Professor420 View Post
    I was taken into Hex when a few key members left about a month ago, as i remember.

General input into discussions on moderation and Curia policy is my main area, im obviously not as technical as Sim & Mim.

I do a lot of Curial moderation activity when Fab is not around. Within Hex itself i contribute to Curial discussions when they crop up due to my history with the forum. Aside from that i try to provide moderation advice to the other moderators in the general staff forum whenever an issue comes up.

My real strength i suppose is organization - keeping information around the forum (and more recently the wiki) up to date

Yes.

My skills are not unique in many respects, but i like to think I've shown, and continue to show, a commitment in the areas i am most skilled which justifies my present status. Consistency is key i suppose.

Why are you still in Hex?
    Because i still have time to be.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius
    Well from the various situations which have arisen over the last few months, nearly resulting of course in the collapse of the forums and relocation to a new site, i remember Archer held a competition or sorts in the MTW2 forum (part of the calendar contest?) I don't think i was on Hex at the time - but its true there aren't many competitions (aside from picture of the week naturally).

This is something we can work on and if you look at my jurisdiction bill you'll see its something i wanted placed within the realms of the Curia, if not to manage entirely then to give advice on.

I cant really think of how we could - the gold status already gives us plenty of publicity. This isnt my area of expertise though.

Perhaps lack of interest, or general forum structure, its hard to give precise reasons for things like that but i dont remember a time when they were ever particularly active. Again, if you have suggestions feel free to offer them.

Not really my area of expertise, but i imagine things like this shall be fixed once we acquire new hosting.

I haven't seen much in the way of community to support, currently there is a multiplayer sub-forum and that's about it. Again, given recent troubles this isnt the highest of priorities.

I wasn't in Hex at the time but i remember a forum wide announcement of its existence being in place for a few weeks - it never received much interest unfotunately.

How will the Hexagon work at attracting more modders?
    I believe plans are in the works with regard to hosting and such - but again that depends on the site acquiring new hosting.

I wasn't actually aware of this issue but i'd be against it. In any case, why don't you propose a new rank in the Prothalamos?

I also wasn't in Hex at the time - I support election of moderators, but it is not a high priority right now (its not the only power of the Curia after all)
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes