Thread: [Computers] CNSW's Technical Guide

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default [Computers] CNSW's Technical Guide

Author: kshcshbash
    Original Thread: CNSW's Technical Guide

CNSW's Technical Guide
    Heya.
    I just thought I'd write a quick guide to help you help yourself.
    It's largely taken from a load of books I bought for studying for the A+ Examination.
    Step 0:REBOOT
    Rebooting is incredible. Try it! It clears the RAM and whatnot, and lets the OS start over. Of course, this isn't an option for webservers and the like, but try it if possible!
    Step 1:Define the Problem
    This should certainly be included in your post title.
    Before you can get a problem solved, you need to know what it is.
    Sometimes, this will be as easy as copying from an error message "Unexpected T_STRING at ~/mywebsite.net/myforums/admin/config.php on line 23", or you have to dig deeper.
    Ask yourself some stuff:
    Can you locate the source of the problem?
    You might answer "Yeah, it happens when I add a regular expression in the constructor in config.php and then only if try to create a new instance of CNSW::SOMETHINGCLASS"
    Oftentimes, though, it won't be this easy.
    How frequent is the issue?
    Quite simple. Every day? Every time you execute the program? Every other time?
    If it's a one-off thing, then you'd do well to just reboot and forget about it. If it's regular, then you can start looking into figuring out how to recreate it, and what is causing it.
    What recent changes have you made to your system?
    Anything here is useful, include it in your post! Programs conflict with each other all the time. For example Oracle sets the JVM to a proprietary one once you install it, and that may make things explode for other apps.
    Never forget the magic question: Is it a hardware or software issue?
    An example post title: "APC refuses to cache "^cnsw" when REGISTER_GLOBALS off; vBulletin recently installed". Don't you think that's a lot more helpful than "HELP" or "PHP PROBLEM"?
    Step 2:The simple stuff
    Sometimes, computers will explode over the most trivial of things. Make sure you check the really obvious stuff before you start pulling your hair out.
    Is it plugged in properly, with a clear connection in the right place?
    You'd be surprised how many times this messes us up. My computer has a cable in it that will pop right out of it's socket if I turn my monitor too far to the right and bump the case.
    Is it even on?
    Another silly but important piece. Make sure you have power going to it, and that it is on to begin with.
    Did you edit the wrong php.ini file?
    Is it ready?
    Printers won't print as soon as you press on.
    An operating system won't let you start Doom 3 before it's loaded the graphic server.
    Have you wiggled things around?
    Literally just pushing a cable in again can work wonders. No harm in double checking.
    Step 3:User Error?
    The famed Equipment Exceeds Operator Capability (EEOC) error, is actually more common than you think.
    In short, rtfm! (Read The Friggin Manual). If you're on Day 3 of Sam's C++ in 21 Days, don't come asking questions about Advanced Polymorphism. There is an extreme likelihood that you haven't worked through the necessary steps to figuring it out.
    Make sure you see Google as best you can, punch in error messages and codes etc. 9 times out of 10 if you put the exact error message into google and go search you will find a detailed description of what the problem is and how to solve it.
    Also, ask yourself if you could ever perform the task. If your answer is no, it's likely you doing something wrong.
    I probably sound a bit arrogant. Just doing my best to help out.
    Step 4:What is failing?
    If it's hardware, then try and figure out which component is failing. Check your manuals for compatibility issues and the like, and feel free to unplug random cables until your machine starts working, or do it in an orderly fashion.
    If it's software related:
    • Check what the OS has to say
    • Figure out how to recreate the problem
    • Make sure you're totally patched
    • Check specialized internet forums, newsgroups and the like. Punching an error code into Google is a good idea.
    • Uninstall and Reinstall
    • Boot Clean

Step 5:Ask around
    Find the most appropriate forum you can. If you have a problem that you know is caused by a MonkeyVision XT231214018094u5io fnf328 graphics card for the game "Packard Bell DVD ROM iMedia 2 Strike", you'd do better to post on the "Packard Bell" website.
    TWC will always be here, though. Just use your good judgment.
    Remember, we want to help you, and you have to help yourself as best you can. Include everything you know about your problem and be patient. Consider advice that people give you and try it before you assume it won't work, unless it's really stupid. Ultimately, just use your common sense.
    One more time:
    • Reboot
    • Define the problem
    • Check the simple stuff
    • User Error
    • What's the weak link?
    • INTERNETS LAWL

Goodnight and good luck solving problems.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; December 28, 2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: fixed author hyperlink